Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

At my six week followup from my ankle surgery I was given the OK to walk with the boot…no walker required.  This will require some readjustment.  It’s not that I’m off balance with one leg weighted down with the boot…it’s that at the moment I feel like I’m missing an appendage.  There is supposed to be something attached to my arms!!  Six weeks with this plan…and then I’ll be walking sans boot.  

• Like 18

1 hour ago, h20skibum said:

This is the one we did, and it was all from the shore. No catamaran. 

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/shore-excursions/cur/willemstad-curacao/beach-hop-turtle-snorkel-experience/cue8

If I recall, @Lionesss Sue did a snorkel with turtles in Curaçao, and didn’t have much luck seeing them.  

Early in the day was best for us. 

This is the one available for my cruise.

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/shore-excursions/cur/willemstad-curacao/snorkel-trip-to-turtle-bay/cul9

I read some reviews at the "other" blog site and none were favorable. Despite the name Turtle Bay, turtles were not to be seen.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, helen haywood said:

At my six week followup from my ankle surgery I was given the OK to walk with the boot…no walker required.  This will require some readjustment.  It’s not that I’m off balance with one leg weighted down with the boot…it’s that at the moment I feel like I’m missing an appendage.  There is supposed to be something attached to my arms!!  Six weeks with this plan…and then I’ll be walking sans boot.  

Congrats! Keep it up and you will be out of that boot in no time.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@h20skibum we’re wrapping up our trip today, just hanging out by the pool waiting for our evening flight. Perfect time to share some pics and Wilderness Lodge info.  

- resort boat to/from the Magic Kingdom is great. Runs frequently and it’s about a 10 minute ride.  
- food options at WL are great. Fast food choices are limited but there’s also Geyser Point Bar & Grille overlooking the bay/lake.  They have made to order pub fare. Charcuterie flatbread should not be missed!

- if you don’t have Whispering Canyon Cafe booked, I highly recommend it. We ate here two years ago with our then 11 and 9 yr old grandsons and they loved the interactive play with waitstaff and other diners (ketchup bottle tossing, wooden stick horse races).  Food is family style bbq skillets and was very good. 
- the feature pool boasts a 67 ft slide, but it’s 67 ft long, not high. Pretty tame.  The 2nd pool in Boulder Ridge area (all WL guests can use it) has six free cabanas, free on a first come, first served basis.  We grabbed one today, great for our last day.  This pool also has a shower in each restroom so we can clean up before heading to the airport.  
- we had a standard view room but could see fireworks from our balcony. You can also watch from the boat dock or if you time it right, from the boat returning to WL from MK.  
Let me know if you have any questions, I’ll try to answer. 
Main Lobby view from outside our 6th fl room
IMG_1729.thumb.jpeg.5550742bb46e510897e6c3b63756ec86.jpeg

From inside Geyser Pt Bar & Grille

IMG_1728.thumb.jpeg.56dd15cbc1358341bcaecd4216195f36.jpeg

Fireworks view from our balcony 

IMG_1736.thumb.jpeg.8342ed07d7b914492c4542270ea4c534.jpeg

Main pool slide

IMG_1746.thumb.jpeg.5d297d68a2bf08af402baece66613e64.jpeg

Cabana at secondary pool

IMG_1765.thumb.jpeg.2fadcc10c024ce1aa56643709c87eac7.jpeg

Fireworks from boat returning to resort from MK (we boarded boat at 9:15 pm, fireworks start at 9:20)

Edited by Momof3gurlz
  • Like 16
  • Thanks 1

On 6/27/2024 at 12:39 AM, cruiselvr04 said:

I second Playa Porto Marie as being one of the best beaches in the Caribbean.  A cab cost about $50 each way so it’d be best if there were 4 to share the cost.  I’ve only been disappointed once there when it was an island holiday.  Everyone on the island seemed to be there and it was very crowded but this is not normal. There is a snorkel trail to follow and a platform to to swim to.  I think what makes this beach for me is not the beach but how beautiful the water is there.  The colors are breathtaking.  There’s also bathrooms, bar/beach restaurant. 

I will have to remember this beach the next time I am in Curacao.    I have been to Curacao several times but never went to this beach.    Thank you for the recommendation..   

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, HBE4 said:

@Jimbo last post was 17 days ago.

Did he graduate to the Advanced Monopoly games that last for a month?

I'd like to think positive and say that he may be getting ready to go to Barcelona (?) to take over as captain for the last segment and bring the Serenade to Miami.

• Haha 10

We always seem to have a funny story to share when we are at the shore.    Last night we went to see the play/musical South Pacific at Surflight Theatre (Highly recommend - excellent performance).   We came home around 11 pm to find a young girl (college age) parking in our driveway.    As she got out of her car I said excuse me but this our house why are you parking here. 

She said I live here and Carol said I could park here anytime I want.    I said who is Carol?   

She said the lady that owns the home and I live across the street with my Grandparents during the summer.   I said you have the wrong house.     She looked around and realized she was on the wrong street.....kids.....LOL!

• Haha 15

Working hard today cleaning the house to get ready for the first tiki patio party of the summer.

IMG_4640.thumb.jpeg.9870133f7091b8c1d93111a083ca633d.jpeg

This Saturday we are having 6 of my former coworkers including two anchors and our long time reporter who I’ve have worked with for over 40 years.

I have set the menu and gotten most of the food except for a few things from one of our favorite Chinese restaurants close by.

IMG_4628.thumb.jpeg.59087dfe5ade85961f7a9b42b00912ef.jpeg

The cocktail menu is set so that I can pre batch some of them so I can serve faster. Also since there are hundreds of Tiki drinks I figured I would serve some of the more popular ones.

Should be fun. I will try and remember to take some pictures. Cheers!

• Like 29

14 minutes ago, Momof3gurlz said:

@h20skibum we’re wrapping up our trip today, just hanging out by the pool waiting for our evening flight. Perfect time to share some pics and Wilderness Lodge info.  

- resort boat to/from the Magic Kingdom is great. Runs frequently and it’s about a 10 minute ride.  
- food options at WL are great. Fast food choices are limited but there’s also Geyser Point Bar & Grille overlooking the bay/lake.  They have made to order pub fare. Charcuterie flatbread should not be missed!

- if you don’t have Whispering Canyon Cafe booked, I highly recommend it. We ate here two years ago with our then 11 and 9 yr old grandsons and they loved the interactive play with waitstaff and other diners (ketchup bottle tossing, wooden stick horse races).  Food is family style bbq skillets and was very good. 
- the feature pool boasts a 67 ft slide, but it’s 67 ft long, not high. Pretty tame.  The 2nd pool in Boulder Ridge area (all WL guests can use it) has six free cabanas, free on a first come, first served basis.  We grabbed one today, great for our last day.  This pool also has a shower in each restroom so we can clean up before heading to the airport.  
- we had a standard view room but could see fireworks from our balcony. You can also watch from the boat dock or if you time it right, from the boat returning to WL from MK.  
Let me know if you have any questions, I’ll try to answer. 
Main Lobby view from outside our 6th fl room
IMG_1729.thumb.jpeg.5550742bb46e510897e6c3b63756ec86.jpeg

From inside Geyser Pt Bar & Grille

IMG_1728.thumb.jpeg.56dd15cbc1358341bcaecd4216195f36.jpeg

Fireworks view from our balcony 

IMG_1736.thumb.jpeg.8342ed07d7b914492c4542270ea4c534.jpeg

Main pool slide

IMG_1746.thumb.jpeg.5d297d68a2bf08af402baece66613e64.jpeg

Cabana at secondary pool

IMG_1765.thumb.jpeg.2fadcc10c024ce1aa56643709c87eac7.jpeg

Fireworks from boat returning to resort from MK (we boarded boat at 9:15 pm, fireworks start at 9:20)

Looks like a great place. So glad you had a great time.

44 minutes ago, HBE4 said:

This is the one available for my cruise.

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/shore-excursions/cur/willemstad-curacao/snorkel-trip-to-turtle-bay/cul9

I read some reviews at the "other" blog site and none were favorable. Despite the name Turtle Bay, turtles were not to be seen.

In january by accident I did the submarine in curacao and some saw one small turtle. I missed it. To get to see more fish he put on a divers suit and went out and fed them and fish appeared briefly. I was supposed to go to ostrich farm and it had rave reviews, but I thought we met in the theater at 9, but it was on the dock st 9, I was 5 minutes late so for $10 more i did the submarine. Rather disappointing imo for what little we saw. I was expecting a large turtle not a tiny baby turtle. Just erased half of those picture yesterday but got a couple in curacao. 

If he didnt go out and feed them we wouldnt have seen as much as we did. I can cross that excursion of my list anyway, wouldn't recommend. I still want to see rhe ostrich farm, everyone who did that one said it was fun. I'm doing ABC on adventure april 2025, but ostrich farm hasnt popped up, watching. 

20240119_091840.jpg

20240119_091815.jpg

• Like 4

On 6/27/2024 at 12:52 PM, OnTheJourney said:

As in...the same stuff you make mint tea from? I had it in a flower bed years ago but it runs like crazy. Roots go out basically horizontally! It crowded everything else out, so then I tried putting it in a huge plastic pot and burying the pot in the ground. It didn't grow well in there, so after that I pretty much gave up on it, but now you're inspiring me to try again! Maybe in a container again. What might  have happened is that I dug a huge chunk of it from the bed and put it all in the same pot. Maybe too many roots all in one place all crammed together. I should start from scratch with small plants and see what happens. Love drinking the tea.

I have one small raised garden bed reserved just for my mint.    Yes, it does try to jump to other beds next to it but I simply pull it out and replant the rooted plant in my raised bed.     It does grow like weeds but I love having lots of it and share with people at work as well as my neighbor/our cat sitter.   

20 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

Working hard today cleaning the house to get ready for the first tiki patio party of the summer.

This Saturday we are having 6 of my former coworkers including two anchors and our long time reporter who I’ve have worked with for over 40 years.

I have set the menu and gotten most of the food except for a few things from one of our favorite Chinese restaurants close by.

The cocktail menu is set so that I can pre batch some of them so I can serve faster. Also since there are hundreds of Tiki drinks I figured I would serve some of the more popular ones.

Sounds wonderful!

I hope you will post pictures of the party especially some food pictures

• Like 4

6 hours ago, firefly333 said:

I just got a call from wellborn or some medical name saying they worked with my insurance company. She had important information to give me and was on a recorded line. She just needed to conform my date of birth to give me this important information. I said I dont know who you are or why you are calling, I'm not giving you my personal details. I refused. Finally she gave me their phone number in case I wanted to call back. I said call back and say what, that someone called and refused to say why they were calling?

Would you give your date of birth just because someone said they were calling from a unknown medical named phone? .. with important information for me. 

Good thing you didn't give your personal information.   So sad they are so many scammers in the world today.    I rarely ever answer my phone from an unknown number.   If they leave a message I decide if I want to call them back. 

• Like 4

30 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

Menu looks amazing - what time is the party - LOL!   

I'm sure you and your guests will have an amazing time. 

We thought about going to a Tiki bar at the Sea Shell (hotel resort on the beach) but then we saw how young the crowd and how loud the music was and didn't go.    We are getting old  - LOL!

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

46 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Menu looks amazing - what time is the party - LOL!   

I'm sure you and your guests will have an amazing time. 

We thought about going to a Tiki bar at the Sea Shell (hotel resort on the beach) but then we saw how young the crowd and how loud the music was and didn't go.    We are getting old  - LOL!

I hate beach bars that try and pretend they are a tiki bar. A true Tiki Bar is in an enclosed area no windows with lots of decor and background exotica music that’s played in the background . A true tiki bar is about escapism not a wild party.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Sea Dog said:

I think I live on the wrong street.

• Like 4
  • Haha 8

@HBE4 I had the same text yesterday.

Knew it was bogus because we haven’t been into NYC for at least five years.

So, I hit the Delete Report as Junk and the text went poof!

@Momof3gurlz Great photos  of the  Wilderness Lodge. Good to hear that you bad a good Disney stay!

@Sea Dog Great idea fjr a psrty!

Hoping to see photos of tbe event.

I am sure that you will be the designated bartender.

Enjoy!

Wishing all on Dani's thread  a pleasant weekend!

MJ🙋🏻‍♀️

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, firefly333 said:

In january by accident I did the submarine in curacao and some saw one small turtle. I missed it. To get to see more fish he put on a divers suit and went out and fed them and fish appeared briefly. I was supposed to go to ostrich farm and it had rave reviews, but I thought we met in the theater at 9, but it was on the dock st 9, I was 5 minutes late so for $10 more i did the submarine. Rather disappointing imo for what little we saw. I was expecting a large turtle not a tiny baby turtle. Just erased half of those picture yesterday but got a couple in curacao. 

If he didnt go out and feed them we wouldnt have seen as much as we did. I can cross that excursion of my list anyway, wouldn't recommend. I still want to see rhe ostrich farm, everyone who did that one said it was fun. I'm doing ABC on adventure april 2025, but ostrich farm hasnt popped up, watching. 

20240119_091840.jpg

20240119_091815.jpg

If you are going to do the ostrich farm I would definitely recommend doing it through a ship's tour. It is a bit if a ride and I think a cab would be rather expensive. It is one of the few ship tours that we have ever done.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, MJSailors said:

@HBE4 I had the same text yesterday.

Knew it was bogus because we haven’t been into NYC for at least five years.

So, I hit the Delete Report as Junk and the text went poof!

@Momof3gurlz Great photos  of the  Wilderness Lodge. Good to hear that you bad a good Disney stay!

@Sea Dog Great idea fjr a psrty!

Hoping to see photos of tbe event.

I am sure that you will be the designated bartender.

Enjoy!

Wishing all on Dani's thread  a pleasant weekend!

MJ🙋🏻‍♀️

Yes I am the designated bartender. I am kinda slow since these drinks can be complicated. I am pre batching some of them to make life easier. The hard part will be getting the first round out in a timely manner. After people start drinking their timing for new cocktails will be staggering.

• Like 3