Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

3 hours ago, sgmn said:

Same here, which meant I missed the Celine Dion performance which was apparently outstanding. Also missed the lighting of the cauldron. Hopefully they will have highlights on 

We watched the entire evening.  My thought was meh.  A couple of cringe worthy parts.  Celine was good but the cauldron was not that spectacular.  Maybe in person it was better.

• Like 6

14 hours ago, NHProud said:

I totally agree with you . There was too much going on and the split screen for commercials didn’t help.  Sometimes brevity is better.  I guess , I’m more of a traditionalist . Some of it didn’t appeal to me at all. 

We watched for about 15 minutes and then decided to record it so that we can watch later using fast forward.  It's long enough watching everyone walk into a stadium.  It's even longer waiting for boats to work their way down the Seine. 

The entertainment in many recent Olympic opening ceremonies is too abstract for me.  I know that it's often related to the history of the host country, but something gets lost for me between the history and the artistic performance.   

• Like 8

I haven't watched the Olympics in years. I think it has gotten so far removed from it's original intent. Break dancing? seriously?!?!?!

If anyone remembers the old George Carlin routine of there only being 3 sports and everything else a game or activity. Anyway, in my opinion , there is also a category of "Olympic Sports". 

My rules, I make them up:

• Individual or small team/pairs (like relays) where the whole team plays at once. Nothing that has rosters or rotating players.
  • Quantifiable (highest, longest, fastest, strongest etc.), nothing judged
  • You can't make a living at it professionally. No hockey, basketball, etc.

😝😁

• Like 1

5 hours ago, sgmn said:

Same here, which meant I missed the Celine Dion performance which was apparently outstanding. Also missed the lighting of the cauldron. Hopefully they will have highlights on 

You can view her performance no charge on You Tube.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

12 hours ago, Husky1987 said:

Old fashioned Friday after a tough week with one of my favorite rye mixers.  Things a little bit slower at work over the past couple of months so we had to let a few people go.  I always lose sleep for a couple days before and afterwhen I have to sit across a table from someone and do that, whether they deserve to be let go or not….it’s always someone with a family and a rent or mortgage to pay.  

Anyway, it’s Friday.  Cheers my friends!

IMG_4865.thumb.jpeg.2090afaa4dfd018704d06cb9ed376e79.jpeg

Oh Larry, Dave can totally relate as he is having to do the same thing (and hasn't had to since 2010) 😞.  Let's hope it is only a small blip and not a long one!

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Husky1987 said:

Old fashioned Friday after a tough week with one of my favorite rye mixers.  Things a little bit slower at work over the past couple of months so we had to let a few people go.  I always lose sleep for a couple days before and afterwhen I have to sit across a table from someone and do that, whether they deserve to be let go or not….it’s always someone with a family and a rent or mortgage to pay.  

Anyway, it’s Friday.  Cheers my friends!

IMG_4865.thumb.jpeg.2090afaa4dfd018704d06cb9ed376e79.jpeg

Rittenhouse is a solid bottle at a great price. It’s one of my favorites as a mixer. Cheers my friend.

• Like 2

Is it just me or does the Olympic Flame/Caldron this year remind you of the large ballon at CoCo Cay, other than no “flaming ring”?  

IMG_3738.jpeg.a1e63ec97c88c6dff2248186af1d315a.jpeg

IMG_3737.jpeg.a748b95a5b4d5611133868a223193682.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Haha 11

13 hours ago, George C said:

watching these cats wrestle is way more fun than tv

image.jpeg

And no commerical breaks😂

Based on her/him laying in this position they feel comfortable and you have earned their trust❣️

• Like 5

We have an assembly line at our house today in preparation for my sister in-laws birthday party tomorrow. 24 have been completed and all the prep work we could do in advance is now done. 

IMG_5997.thumb.jpeg.8e5292652a563dded7132c84e813d90b.jpeg

• Like 19

Just now, A&L_Ont said:

We have an assembly line at our house today in preparation for my sister in-laws birthday party tomorrow. 24 have been completed and all the prep work we could do in advance is now done. 

IMG_5997.thumb.jpeg.8e5292652a563dded7132c84e813d90b.jpeg

That looks great.

11 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

And no commerical breaks😂

Based on her/him laying in this position they feel comfortable and you have earned their trust❣️

One kitty will sit on our laps or next to us but other still keeps his distance, they are brothers. 

1 hour ago, RobInMN said:

On a completely different note.

Deadpool & Wolverine was SO MUCH FUN!!

We will see twister tomorrow , I want to see Deadpool next week .

• Like 2

6 hours ago, sgmn said:

Celine Dion's performance was incredible.   Her gown was Gorgeous.

I did not watch the full ceremony as there were parts I didn't care for such as the boat parade with the olympians and some very tacty moments, in my opinion.  

Lighting of the cauldron was quite different and the fact that it is now an electric flame with water vapor to give the effect of flickering and smoke is not something I am sure I like.    

The Eiffel Tower light show was pretty cool.    

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, A&L_Ont said:

Is it just me or does the Olympic Flame/Caldron this year remind you of the large ballon at CoCo Cay, other than no “flaming ring”?  

IMG_3738.jpeg.a1e63ec97c88c6dff2248186af1d315a.jpeg

IMG_3737.jpeg.a748b95a5b4d5611133868a223193682.jpeg

YES, Exactly what we said last night

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Luckynana said:

I always loved going to a Drive-in movie.    The last time we've gone was when we used to stay at the Cabin in Smallwood, N.Y. when our daughters were younger.  I guess it's been well over 35 years or more since going.

Happy 18th Birthday to your grandson!!!🎈

I never went to a Drive In when I was young.In 2002 we were in a small town in VT.One of the features of the motel we were staying in was that we were able to see the screen from a movie .That was not a Drive In but very close.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, George C said:

One kitty will sit on our laps or next to us but other still keeps his distance, they are brothers. 

Hopefully he will come around and join his Brother soon.   Petey rarely sits with us on the sofa but he does love to sleep at our feet in bed.   

It took us about 2 weeks to come up with Sparky's name.    He is so full of energy (spark).   We just kept throwing names out until finally one stuck.   Naming two must be even harder.   Maybe see if there is a name that excites them.   

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

Day after skin cancer removal I look like I had been in a fight. I was told I would get a black eye. Doesn’t hurt too bad but it’s hard to see with some of the swelling. 

IMG_4788.thumb.jpeg.21670fa5da549bd454d4f10de3e1fa65.jpeg

It will heal and only be a vague memory.

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Celine Dion's performance was incredible.   Her gown was Gorgeous.

I did not watch the full ceremony as there were parts I didn't care for such as the boat parade with the olympians and some very tacty moments, in my opinion.  

Lighting of the cauldron was quite different and the fact that it is now an electric flame with water vapor to give the effect of flickering and smoke is not something I am sure I like.    

The Eiffel Tower light show was pretty cool.    

When I got home yesterday afternoon Celine was just starting her performance.  I saw the final carrying of the flame from the Louvre to the balloon being “light”.  I too like a good old fashioned flame compared to this one.  I also liked the Eiffel Tower light show. 

• Like 3

Good afternoon.

I watched Below deck last night.

We went to the beach with chips and ice cream.

The River Tyne piers are in the background and Newcastle cruise terminal is 2 miles upriver.

I hope everyone is safe and well and y'all are having a great day.

IMG_20240727_140042.jpg

IMG_20240727_140007.jpg

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, bobmacliberty said:

YouTube won't allow this link to be embedded here for some reason, so you'll need to click on the below link to see the Celine Dion performance:

https://youtu.be/smKqMiGXxl4?si=o9sjQspwK1awBxxe

It was quite a comeback for her considering what she is going through rehabbing from her degenerative disease. I’ve always enjoyed her singing.

I was going round and round last night at midnight trying to install an app on my iPad and transferring it to my TV so I can watch tennis.  It didn’t work out all that well . I won’t have to cancel so there’s that.  In high school , my daughter competed in track and in the CIF’s ran against Gail Devers who went on to win gold at the Olympics . 

Thought of you this AM as our sky is cloudy . Someone on social media called it smog .  

• Like 5

We ended going to the movies last night after all.  Since it was the Drive In theater, there was 2 movies playing.  As I mentioned in my previous post, we saw “Twisters”.  While it was entertaining enough, I felt it was very predictable.   I would rate it a 7/10.

The second movie was “The Bike Riders”.  We were not familiar with this movie, but did enjoy it.  It was about a motorcycle gang in the 1960’s and how they evolved from a group of motorcycle enthusiasts to a rough gang.  It was done in almost a documentary style.  The young lady playing the lead character, “Cathy” was very good.  This movie is not for everyone, but I would give it an 7.5/10.  

I can’t believe we stayed awake for 2 movies!  Got home about 2:00 am.  Can’t remember the last time we stayed awake that late.  😂

Hope everyone is having a great weekend!

• Like 10

23 minutes ago, NHProud said:

I was going round and round last night at midnight trying to install an app on my iPad and transferring it to my TV so I can watch tennis.

I've found third party "airplay" type apps, and even the built in Apple Airplay, to work very inconsistently.  I therefore bought one of these Apple adaptors a few years ago:

Apple Lightning Digital A/V Adapter White MW2P3AM/A/MD826AM/A - Best Buy

We carry it, along with an HDMI cable, whenever we travel.  It's nice in that you can charge your device while using it to send videos to the TV.  So long as you can change the input on a TV to an used HDMI input, you can watch things from your iPhone/iPad.  We usually have several things on Netfix and Prime Video downloaded to my iPad.  Works great most of the time, although we sometimes run into situations where the ability to change the TV input has been specifically disabled (looking at you Ovation).

There are several no-name versions of the adaptor available on Amazon at much lower prices.  I can't comment on how well those work.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, bobmacliberty said:

I've found third party "airplay" type apps, and even the built in Apple Airplay, to work very inconsistently.  I therefore bought one of these Apple adaptors a few years ago:

Apple Lightning Digital A/V Adapter White MW2P3AM/A/MD826AM/A - Best Buy

We carry it, along with an HDMI cable, whenever we travel.  It's nice in that you can charge your device while using it to send videos to the TV.  So long as you can change the input on a TV to an used HDMI input, you can watch things from your iPhone/iPad.  We usually have several things on Netfix and Prime Video downloaded to my iPad.  Works great most of the time, although we sometimes run into situations where the ability to change the TV input has been specifically disabled (looking at you Ovation).

There are several no-name versions of the adaptor available on Amazon at much lower prices.  I can't comment on how well those work.

Thank you for your input . I appreciate it .