Regent Refund Experience (please limit to received refunds)

Portolan

According to three cruisers that cancelled after the shut-down, they have now received their money back (as of yesterday).  Perhaps this thread should be left to die since the latest information is being posted on the newer thread.

Edited by Travelcat2

1 hour ago, rallydave said:

And as you have often said Regent goes over and above for US Customers and is responsible for all these issues without the non refundable 20% deposit.   And, what does a non-refundable deposit have to do with paying for something that occurs  during the holiday.  Those costs, if any would be in the full cruise fare and not be applicable to a cancelled cruise.

Dave, you are correct.

However, it is not really the rights or wrongs of the UK 10%-20% non refundable deposits that are in question at this time (these are the norm for all cruise bookings in the UK, with all cruise companies, unfortunately).

Rather we were discussing whether customers should be further taken financial advantage of by Regent in having to make substantial final payments to protect their deposits on cruises that the company has no intention of operating but has yet to formally cancel (see posts #73 and #188 as examples)

1 hour ago, fizzy said:

Regent is so lucky to have such an extremely loyal passenger base

Agreed and we count ourselves among that loyal band. 

We have thoroughly enjoyed numerous Regent cruises over a ten year period and hope we will have the opportunity to enjoy the exemplary on-board hospitality in the future.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Travelcat2 said:

According to three cruisers that cancelled after the shut-down, they have now received their money back (as of yesterday).  Perhaps this thread should be left to die since the latest information is being posted on the newer thread.

Sorry, this is not quite correct. As reported by these posters, the refund was for deposits on cruises way into the future (2021), not cruises cancelled by Regent since March.

• Like 1

Flossie009 we have converted our deposit for 16th July Barcelona to Venice cruise into FCC - rightly or wrongly. I believe that today our local and only airline to the UK have said that they are not resuming carrying until August. 

We have had no new cases for 14 days and have 8 active cases, as of today. 

I wait and see if Regent cancel our cruise. 

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, flossie009 said:

Dave, you are correct.

However, it is not really the rights or wrongs of the UK 10%-20% non refundable deposits that are in question at this time (these are the norm for all cruise bookings in the UK, with all cruise companies, unfortunately).

Rather we were discussing whether customers should be further taken financial advantage of by Regent in having to make substantial final payments to protect their deposits on cruises that the company has no intention of operating but has yet to formally cancel (see posts #73 and #188 as examples)

Completely understand and agree flossie.  Tried to explain that to tc after she could not understand what you were saying.  In the comment you quoted I found he logic was completely wrong and explained.  According to a post yesterday she admits when she is wrong but,, like many other cases on this and other threads, she simply stops posting and then posts that we should tstop posting on this thread trying to act like the moderator without admitting her incorrect posts.

• Like 9

52 minutes ago, BBWC said:

Sorry, this is not quite correct. As reported by these posters, the refund was for deposits on cruises way into the future (2021), not cruises cancelled by Regent since March.

Thank you!  Regent has had this policy in place for a long time for cruisers in the U.K. (and they have had their consumer protection laws in place for a long time as well).  I can see that paying a non-refundable deposit seems unfair to cruisers but isn't it just as unfair for laws to put cruise lines to blame for almost everything?

On the surface the two subjects may appear to differ.  I am looking at it from the perspective that European bookings  (not only the UK) that potentially could cost Regent more money than passengers in the U.S. or Canada.  One way of recouping some of the money that is at risk is to put in place non-refundable refunds.  On one hand, it does not seem fair but on the other, the European laws related to this topic do not seem fair either.

As recently posted above, Regent is making yet more allowances for their customers by allowing a deposit to be turned into FCC's during the time of this pandemic.

Edited by Travelcat2

41 minutes ago, rallydave said:

Completely understand and agree flossie.  Tried to explain that to tc after she could not understand what you were saying.  In the comment you quoted I found he logic was completely wrong and explained.  According to a post yesterday she admits when she is wrong but,, like many other cases on this and other threads, she simply stops posting and then posts that we should tstop posting on this thread trying to act like the moderator without admitting her incorrect posts.

Not sure why your posts are so rude and untrue.  If I stop posting, it is to avoid further arguments from you.  The only thread that I suggested not posting on is this one (the Thread Starter made the same request) as the information that people are seeking on this topic is being posted on a newer thread.  Please try to calm down a bit and keep this board one where we discuss, debate and even argue a bit in a polite and more compassionate way.  

Sometimes I see or know things that are different from your perspective because I cruise Regent so regularly and am always (or so it seems) planning flights with Regent or even excursions (both of which are due to happen this month). 

At the moment, there are many non-Regent cruisers on the board (just like my being on the Seabourn board - a cruise line that I have not sailed).  For this reason, some further explanation is necessary about Regent policies.  If you disagree with a policy, perhaps you can state your experience and others can state theirs without having to put another person down in order to make your point.

Thank you!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, flossie009 said:

Thank you for acknowledging that the non-refundable deposits are "the norm for all cruise bookings in the UK".  

In terms of having to pay in full to receive 100% FCC's if you cancel, this is temporary.  See paragraph from the Regent website below

For all voyages embarking on or before December 31, 2020, guests who have paid in full have the option to cancel up to 48 hours prior to departure date and receive a 100% Future Cruise Credit, which can be applied to any new reservation made within one year on any Regent voyage sailing before December 31, 2022. 

I am assuming that this is the same for both the UK and United States.  Kindly let me know if this is not the case.  The only reason that I can think of as to why they are doing this is to stop people that want to book a cruise - make a deposit and then cancel (so they will receive the FCC's rather than paying for a cancellation).  It is unfortunate that some people have this mindset.

If anyone knows what will happen after December 31st, let us know.

1 hour ago, greenolaker said:

Splendor October 24

April 24. Cancelled 

May 14 received credit to my credit card of cruise deposit and shore excursions (minus $200 cancel fee)

greenolaker, I took the liberty of adding your data to the list on the Regent Refund Roll Call thread.  Thank you for posting.

Regent does seem to be doing a much better job with refunding deposits than the cruises cancelled after full payment, but it is good to see some payments being made.

Just a reminder, if anyone already on the spreadsheet gets a refund, please let me know (preferably on the other thread).  Thank you!

SusieQ and others: 

Some ray of hope.  Wanted to share the following on this Thread as well as shortly on the Roll Call.  

This PM, while checking my UA VISA CC account--

Noted being credited TODAY with all but $200.00 of the Deposit we placed on Navigator October 2020 BtB NYC-Montreal--NYC cruises.  That $200.00 was applied as a FCC. 

That deposit was made in 10/2019.  We had to cancel on 04/13/2020 due to a family health situation (not related to COVID-19). 

Still awaiting refund for the Splendor 03/14/2020 San Diego-Miami cruise (previously posted on the Roll Call Thread). 

GOARMY!

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Travelcat2 said:

I am assuming that this is the same for both the UK and United States.  Kindly let me know if this is not the case.

Regent Reassurance for UK customers differs from the offer in the US and has significant exclusions.

Wording in the UK is as follows:

"................ reservations made by May 31, 2020.  For all voyages embarking on or before December 31, 2020, guests who have paid in full have the option to cancel up to 48 hours prior to departure date and receive a 100% Future Cruise Credit (excluding air and Concierge Collection arrangements if applicable), which can be applied to any new reservation made within one year on any Regent voyage sailing before December 31, 2022"

This anomaly was discussed in the previous CC topic "What if I cancel a future booked cruise?" (post #29 of that thread is particularly useful for customers in the UK)

16 hours ago, Travelcat2 said:

Sometimes I see or know things that are different from your perspective because I cruise Regent so regularly and am always (or so it seems) planning flights with Regent or even excursions (both of which are due to happen this month).

And I simply post the facts as they actually are and while not at times the same as based on your experience your view at times appears clouded because of your complete love for Regent and missing some of the cases where Regent didn't go above and beyond as you often state. 

People need the entire story and what the terms and conditions actually state so they know the pros and cons and not just the information thru rose colored glasses where everything is perfect. 

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, rallydave said:

And I simply post the facts as they actually are and while not at times the same as based on your experience your view at times appears clouded because of your complete love for Regent and missing some of the cases where Regent didn't go above and beyond as you often state. 

People need the entire story and what the terms and conditions actually state so they know the pros and cons and not just the information thru rose colored glasses where everything is perfect. 

Finally. So well said. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, rallydave said:

Not always facts - I understand that you are better than most posters in terms of reading Regent's contracts and also in the area of flights in general (vs. actually dealing with Regent Air) while my expertise is the onboard experience.  My facts are based on recent experience while yours are based on either your sources or what you read about Regent.  I do not know why you haven't sailed on Regent in so many years but, IMO, one needs to actually be on a Regent ship, to understand the perspective of the officers and crew onboard.  Things truly have changed since you last sailed on Regent.

Yes - I do see Regent in a more positive light than a lot of posters.  Other posters see Regent in a negative light.  So, when you speak about pros and cons, posters also need to hear both sides of this issue.  Everything is not "perfect" - all of us understand this but it also isn't as bad as some feel that it is.  People are getting their refunds but it is taking a long time.  Some passengers are happy to receive 125% of their cruise fares instead of a cancellation fee from Regent while others do not want FCC's and are upset that Regent isn't giving cash refunds when "they" cancel.  There are those of us that want to cruise right now can't and there are posters that do not want to cruise due to the virus.  

What I was addressing yesterday was unkind posts ......... posts that come off as rude and attacking.  This is a difficult time for all of us and the one thing that we all need  is patience and understanding.   So, feel free to disagree with me - we can debate issues but attacking me personally  - is not what CC is all about. 

TC - Are you saying that a number of the negative posters have never travelled on Regent, or have not done so in a while? This type of information should be disclosed to the forum so that we can determine underlying motives in their posts. Sounds consistent with other expectations here....yes?

• Haha 1

It’s rallydave’s story to tell.

Their exchanges, numbering over 675,000, involve a posting, a correction made by the other, accusations along predictable lines, the usual sides weighing in against the other, lots of removed posts by the moderators, ending in the whole thread disappearing. 

Oh well, a good time is had by all.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, bissel said:

It’s rallydave’s story to tell.

Their exchanges, numbering over 675,000, involve a posting, a correction made by the other, accusations along predictable lines, the usual sides weighing in against the other, lots of removed posts by the moderators, ending in the whole thread disappearing. 

Oh well, a good time is had by all.

I don't remember that one but it sounds like the hacked and whacked Ebola thread that was probably shut down also some years ago. That was a doozy.