What it will take for cruising to resume

eel

There's a piece in today's WSJ about how Disney has partially re-opened  their Shanghai park.  They are requiring masks to be worn at all times (except when eating).   Hours and capacity are limited.  And to gain entry visitors must submit to a temperature check and present a gov't controlled QR code on their phone that indicates they are virus free.  

Another good video about how COVID-19 will change cruising.  Pretty much agrees with most of what I have said from the beginning.  Only one person's opinion so it will be interesting what actually happens.

Edited by eel
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/14/2020 at 6:08 PM, Baron Barracuda said:

There's a piece in today's WSJ about how Disney has partially re-opened  their Shanghai park.  They are requiring masks to be worn at all times (except when eating).   Hours and capacity are limited.  And to gain entry visitors must submit to a temperature check and present a gov't controlled QR code on their phone that indicates they are virus free.  

It’s just the hotels and the wishing star perk and downtown disney.  The actual theme park is still closed with no opening date at this time. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Good video, basically outlined in cruise speak what was outlined by CDC as 7 areas that cruise line must adhered to prior to cruising in US water or port again. This is not the no sail date but what they must fix prior to cruising. Those are not simple fixes, such as the testing and medical facility as self contain medical facility. That is why RCI stated they are studying the recommendation and have not commented on them yet. Not sure if there is room for negotiation since you are talking about people's health. It is almost impossible to stop the virus without a clean ship, Queen Victoria even when anchored and not sailing now has a virus outbreak without passenger. This is not going to be a soft opening. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, eel said:

Another good video about how COVID-19 will change cruising.  Pretty much agrees with most of what I have said from the beginning.  Only one person's opinion so it will be interesting what actually happens.

Will RCL enforce this by having crew go down first thing in the morning and putting paperbacks on every other chair?

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, eel said:

25-30 yrs ago Royal's Pool chairs were not so close, every 2 Loungers had a table in between with an Ashtray on it. Was nice keep drinks and things off the Deck

3 hours ago, strathcona said:

Good video, basically outlined in cruise speak what was outlined by CDC as 7 areas that cruise line must adhered to prior to cruising in US water or port again. This is not the no sail date but what they must fix prior to cruising. Those are not simple fixes, such as the testing and medical facility as self contain medical facility. That is why RCI stated they are studying the recommendation and have not commented on them yet. Not sure if there is room for negotiation since you are talking about people's health. It is almost impossible to stop the virus without a clean ship, Queen Victoria even when anchored and not sailing now has a virus outbreak without passenger. This is not going to be a soft opening. 

Agree, will work out with an agreement between Govt and Cruise Lines. CDC recommendations and dates can/will change

6 hours ago, ONECRUISER said:

25-30 yrs ago Royal's Pool chairs were not so close, every 2 Loungers had a table in between with an Ashtray on it. Was nice keep drinks and things off the Deck

Yes, every ship has more cabins now, even when they go in for refurbishment, they add even more cabin. The ship public space to passenger ratio goes down. I first sail on a brand new Grandear of the Seas, it had less passenger and more crew. The sailing did not seem to be as full. The cost of that cruise is about the same as it would today. With inflation, cost of cruising has gone down so the cruise line has to make that up in other areas. By volume and other venues. That is why I object to people who keep talking about RCI nickel and diming. They have not been long term cruiser who have watch the industry change. Cruise vacation is a good value, that is why so many cruise today. With this crisis, we may now have less passengers and more crew again but the cost of the cruise will go up in the long term.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, ONECRUISER said:

I don’t think the ashtray thing will ever make a comeback, COVID19 or not. 

In my opinion 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, strathcona said:

Yes, every ship has more cabins now, even when they go in for refurbishment, they add even more cabin. The ship public space to passenger ratio goes down. I first sail on a brand new Grandear of the Seas, it had less passenger and more crew. The sailing did not seem to be as full. The cost of that cruise is about the same as it would today. With inflation, cost of cruising has gone down so the cruise line has to make that up in other areas. By volume and other venues. That is why I object to people who keep talking about RCI nickel and diming. They have not been long term cruiser who have watch the industry change. Cruise vacation is a good value, that is why so many cruise today. With this crisis, we may now have less passengers and more crew again but the cost of the cruise will go up in the long term.  

If prices go up,  let’s say double the price for Balcony or Suite (assuming no inside cabins sold), how many would continue to sail? Would you sail as much?  What about loyal D+ and Pinnacles, would you pay the doubled price for a balcony?

Asking for a friend 

1 minute ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

What about loyal D+ and Pinnacles, would you pay the doubled price for a balcony?

Asking for a friend 

Probably but not as much as now

Answering for a friend

Edited by molly361
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just a thought....  when cruising resumes, and based on likely limited passengers, I don’t see as much issue as packed Diamond or Suite Lounge. Just looking at a positive. What will be the next complaint?

Friend said I had to do it....

Edited by Milwaukee Eight

45 minutes ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

If prices go up,  let’s say double the price for Balcony or Suite (assuming no inside cabins sold), how many would continue to sail? Would you sail as much?  What about loyal D+ and Pinnacles, would you pay the doubled price for a balcony?

Asking for a friend 

I have a friend who heard it from a friend that the cost of cruises will significantly increase in the future 😊.  If cruise lines are going to implement recommendations made by the CDC, I don’t see how the price of cruises don’t increase in the future.  Initially I would expect there to be good deals available when cruise lines resume operations, but eventually I think the price of cruises will increase as cruise lines implement additional measures in order to keep their ships as clean and sanitized as possible and take other steps to reduce the likelihood of a virus related breakout during a cruise. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

Just a thought....  when cruising resumes, and based on likely limited passengers, I don’t see as much issue as packed Diamond or Suite Lounge. Just looking at a positive. What will be the next complaint?

Friend said I had to do it....

They are going to need those loyal cruiser to survive this downturn. People are very loyal to a cruise line and to cruising. Cruisers do like to complain, you have to admit that the diamond lounges is getting smaller and being moved to the bottom of the ship after a refurb. 

Those Diamond, Diamond Plus and Pinnacle members will be the bread and butter client to get them back on line. 

• Like 1

When they resume cruises, and assuming they are going to put in place the new safety measures...what will they do to the cruises that are already booked in the future?
Tell 1/3 of the people they cannot cruise due to the limited amount of passengers, possibly the type of staterooms being restricted......?
Possibly, they can weed this down by shutting out the 70+ crowd.

Honestly, how Many  people are there 70+ that do not,  or have not a history of certain medical conditions.

Diabetes? Any type of heart conditions? High Blood pressure?

They can get around this by obtaining a written permission from their Doctors.
I'm a healthcare professional, and I don't think I know a Doctor that think being on a cruise ship is a good idea.

Not all I suppose, but still.

• Like 1

Today I saw a news piece featuring the use of a safe nanometer level of U.V. Light that can be and is being used in various systems ( LIKE ENTIRE OPERATING ROOMS ) to literally sanitize the areas exposed to the light for just a matter of seconds. It can be installed as a single stage unit the same as the ones used when going through TSA screening or installed in a passage way or gangway that would do the job on everyone and everything that moves along the path with NO stopping. 

Granted it is only a method of sanitizing all the surfaces that are exposed to it, but I think it might be something that would help with keeping passengers and crew at least a little bit safer. 

5 hours ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

I have a friend who heard it from a friend that the cost of cruises will significantly increase in the future 😊.  If cruise lines are going to implement recommendations made by the CDC, I don’t see how the price of cruises don’t increase in the future.  Initially I would expect there to be good deals available when cruise lines resume operations, but eventually I think the price of cruises will increase as cruise lines implement additional measures in order to keep their ships as clean and sanitized as possible and take other steps to reduce the likelihood of a virus related breakout during a cruise. 

What cruise lines want to charge is irrelevant.  Price can only increase if demand exceeds supply.  Can't help but expect demand will be scarce and supply plentiful.  Competition between brands will be fierce.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, boscobeans said:

Today I saw a news piece featuring the use of a safe nanometer level of U.V. Light that can be and is being used in various systems ( LIKE ENTIRE OPERATING ROOMS ) to literally sanitize the areas exposed to the light for just a matter of seconds. It can be installed as a single stage unit the same as the ones used when going through TSA screening or installed in a passage way or gangway that would do the job on everyone and everything that moves along the path with NO stopping. 

Granted it is only a method of sanitizing all the surfaces that are exposed to it, but I think it might be something that would help with keeping passengers and crew at least a little bit safer. 

I saw the same process for a hotel chain. It had been noted that it wasn’t safe for humans. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

Asking for a friend 

I would definitely NOT pay twice as much for a balcony room than today's price of an average 800-1300 pp for a 7 night to a doubled price of 1600-2600 pp.  No way.  I've lived without cruising before and I'll live without cruising in the future if the prices skyrocket like that.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Baron Barracuda said:

What cruise lines want to charge is irrelevant.  Price can only increase if demand exceeds supply.  Can't help but expect demand will be scarce and supply plentiful.  Competition between brands will be fierce.

Of course what cruise lines want/need to charge is relevant. There is a lot more to business than simply supply and demand. If like you said demand significantly exceeds supply, that will likely lead to one or more cruise lines going out of business.

Any company, including cruise lines, is not going to stay in business too long if they can’t meet their fixed costs. A company can lower prices based on demand, but if it gets to the point where they can’t sell their product to cover their fixed costs, not to mention variable costs, that business will eventually cease to exist. 

2 hours ago, A&L_Ont said:

I saw the same process for a hotel chain. It had been noted that it wasn’t safe for humans. 

This is based on one of the many types or ranges of UV light

I have used UV for sanitation and still so. BUT so far it has been limited to surfaces and inanimate items. 

THIS IS USING A DIFFERFENT AREA OF THE UV SPECTRUM...

For what it is worth here is the clip that was broadcast this morning. I post it for information only and in no way wish to do anything but that.

https://video.foxnews.com/v/6150507307001#sp=show-clips

5 minutes ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

Of course what cruise lines want/need to charge is relevant. There is a lot more to business than simply supply and demand. If like you said demand significantly exceeds supply, that will likely lead to one or more cruise lines going out of business.

Any company, including cruise lines, is not going to stay in business too long if they can’t meet their fixed costs. A company can lower prices based on demand, but if it gets to the point where they can’t sell their product to cover their fixed costs, not to mention variable costs, that business will eventually cease to exist. 

We would love to sail on an Oasis Class ship with 1/2 or 1/3 full. We would gladly pay more for this. 

10 minutes ago, boscobeans said:

This is based on one of the many types or ranges of UV light

I have used UV for sanitation and still so. BUT so far it has been limited to surfaces and inanimate items. 

THIS IS USING A DIFFERFENT AREA OF THE UV SPECTRUM...

For what it is worth here is the clip that was broadcast this morning. I post it for information only and in no way wish to do anything but that.

https://video.foxnews.com/v/6150507307001#sp=show-clips

Thanks for posting

Does look like the way forward

• Like 1