What it will take for cruising to resume

eel

24 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

You need to keep up, there is no intermission now.😉😹😹

24 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

You need to keep up, there is no intermission now.😉😹😹

Best news I heard all day.

• Like 1

Been a terrible day.  Flying from Manila to Seoul to JFK landing on 4/22/20, limo service told me he is not allowed to do business until May, all cabs and buses shut down also.  Don't really woant to hitchhike to the Lehigh Valley after an 8 hour bus ride to Manila, 4 hour flight to South Korea, 5 hour layover, and then a 14 hour flight to JFK.  Original 16 hour flight Manila to JFK on 4/21/20 was cancelled on 4/7/20 as Philippine Airlines cancelled all flights until May, not going to NYC until June.  Best choice became Korean Air.  Will probably see Cats on Oasis out of Cape Liberty later this year if they will allow a 70 year old sail without a note from his doctor, glad there is no intermission.  Found Cats amusing 30 years ago.

• Like 1

On 4/4/2020 at 3:31 AM, time4u2go said:

For #7, cruises to nowhere are not allowed any more.  And those private destinations are part of other countries that may or may not be allowing cruise ships to dock.

They are in Australia, we can also cruise from state to state in Australia.

I always thought of cruises as being more like being in a college dorm. Sound proofing between rooms doesnt exist. If they bang the drawer closed I hear it.

Maybe put people in cabins every other cabin? 

One way isles like at the super market.

Cruising has not gone anywhere. Its only limited at the moment but the industry is operating. They are collecting orders for the summer and next year. I am not sure how big the demand is but according to the increase in prices its quite high. So cruising is not going anywhere and it wont go anywhere as long as the sea is there. My father used to say so 

On 4/4/2020 at 12:34 PM, Hoopster95 said:

I would like to offer the following two videos.... they're a little long, but two of the best that I have watched in full over the last week. Almost everything discussed here on this forum is discussed in both these videos... one by a texan doctor and another by the leading virus professional in Korea... super interesting seeing this from their point of view.

It is absolutely clear, and to me the implications to cruising are also crystal clear once watching these videos. 

Super informative and excellent/easy to understand and follow.

I strongly recommend everyone here to take the time (especially with the English subtitles) to watch the entire video throughout as there are specific point and topics that are absolute key not only to cruising/travel, but life in general.

(ie. timing, a 2nd wave, testing, droplets/social distancing, etc etc)

South Korea (full of facts, real life data, and truths)

Texan doctor

One of the best explanations ever.  Thanks for sharing. Dr Duc Vuong is amazing!  I really LIKE him.

Edited by Judyrem

On 4/4/2020 at 6:00 PM, eel said:

Thanks for posting those videos Hoopster95! 

I liked the first video much better than the second.  I did learn a few things from the second video but I did not care for the presenters style.

I actually watched both and I thought Dr Vuong's explanation will resonate with younger people.  The first was interesting and helpful but it was very technical and lacking the emotional impact Dr Voung's video had IMO.

11 hours ago, mugtech said:

Been a terrible day.  Flying from Manila to Seoul to JFK landing on 4/22/20, limo service told me he is not allowed to do business until May, all cabs and buses shut down also.  Don't really woant to hitchhike to the Lehigh Valley after an 8 hour bus ride to Manila, 4 hour flight to South Korea, 5 hour layover, and then a 14 hour flight to JFK.  Original 16 hour flight Manila to JFK on 4/21/20 was cancelled on 4/7/20 as Philippine Airlines cancelled all flights until May, not going to NYC until June.  Best choice became Korean Air.  Will probably see Cats on Oasis out of Cape Liberty later this year if they will allow a 70 year old sail without a note from his doctor, glad there is no intermission.  Found Cats amusing 30 years ago.

Good luck

• Thanks 1

I do not think I will be cruising for  real long time. What I am concerned about if someone on the ship  gets any kind of virus the entire ship will get quarantined and who knows when you  get off or where. That is too much of a risk for a vacation. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, 20165 said:

sounds like a dream.  Less crowded, no buffets, fresh air everywhere.  Sounds great!

Sounds too good to be true.  It's going to require twice the staff for 1/2 the passengers capacity. Sounds like they will also have to recreate more public space.  Maybe all of the lines can give back the public space they took away by adding more staterooms.

2 hours ago, wolfcathorse said:

Royal owns Coco Cay, they lease Labadee.

Either way, they still have to obey the laws and rules of the Bahamas (Coco Cay) and of Haiti (Labadee), whether they own or lease the land, just as any landowner has to obey the laws and rules of the country in which the land resides.

7 hours ago, 20165 said:

sounds like a dream.  Less crowded, no buffets, fresh air everywhere.  Sounds great!

2 hours ago, Iamcruzin said:

Sounds too good to be true.  It's going to require twice the staff for 1/2 the passengers capacity. Sounds like they will also have to recreate more public space.  Maybe all of the lines can give back the public space they took away by adding more staterooms.

It is true! And has existed for many years... and also the food is beyond incredible, the bedding is like sleeping in a 6 star $1000 per night Manhattan Ritz-Carlton, the service is by far and away 1st class, and the entire ship is basically a CL or DL!

Can you believe it?!?

It's called "Oceania". 

The space ratio per passenger should be be at least not decreased, hence the adding of cabins and adding always more passegers to the same amount of space has to stop.

Edited by LXA350
  • Like 3

Good explanation in the video. Given the significant changes contemplated, I think we are much more than 100 days away. 

There are fundamental changes here, none of which raise cruise lines revenue, which has been there MO recently. Maybe they need to take that space where they were adding more cabins and expand the medical facilities? Or have an entire section of cabins solely for quarantining passengers? Or make one of the older ships a hospital ship for the fleet? Or all of the above? 

The cruise lines reaction and plans to address this will be interesting to watch. 

mac_tlc

• Like 1