It's even worse than we thought

Cruise Raider

3 hours ago, Cruise Raider said:

Yes, Princess pays you back in cash for the entire cost of your cruise if THEY cancel, including the cost of the insurance if you purchased it through Princess.  

That has yet to be proven. There are thousands of us waiting on refunds right now. Will we ever get them? Who knows. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Hlitner said:

Perhaps, but you must read the specific language in your policy.  But if you paid for a cruise, in the USA, with a major credit card you would be able to put any of the cruise charges "in dispute" and get a credit card refund.  We have previously had to do this with two cruise line bankruptcies. 

Not always. There are hard time limits between the charge and when you can dispute it. If you place a deposit on a cruise 2 years away, and the cruise-line goes bankrupt quite a bit of time after you paid the deposit, you are out-of-luck. Most limit the time from 5 months to a year. I have never seen longer than a year. Usually much less.

1 hour ago, ano said:

Not always. There are hard time limits between the charge and when you can dispute it. If you place a deposit on a cruise 2 years away, and the cruise-line goes bankrupt quite a bit of time after you paid the deposit, you are out-of-luck. Most limit the time from 5 months to a year. I have never seen longer than a year. Usually much less.

I am not referring to bankruptcy.
In my case $2 k deposit paid for cruise Oct 2020. Cancelled by me March 1/20. Stringing my TA along with I will get refund in 24-48 hrs etc.  Amex accepted my dispute. Have it in writing and it has been removed from my account. Always worth calling your credit card company to get details. A lot of misinformation on websites. 

Edited by dog

5 minutes ago, ano said:

It's the time between the payment and when its contested that matters to the credit card company. 

July 27/19. Payment 

March 25/20 contested to Amex

Edited by dog

1 minute ago, dog said:

July 27/19. Payment 

March 25/20 contested to Amex

Under a year and you can be OK. But if the cruise line would have given you a full refund anyway, why contest it?  This tends to make the cruise line not like you much. 

7 hours ago, WNcruiser said:

That has yet to be proven. There are thousands of us waiting on refunds right now. Will we ever get them? Who knows. 

Point taken.  I should have said that is the way it is supposed to work!  And I am one of those thousands waiting for my refund.  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, dog said:

In my case $2 k deposit paid for cruise Oct 2020. Cancelled by me March 1/20. Stringing my TA along with I will get refund in 24-48 hrs etc.  Amex accepted my dispute. Have it in writing and it has been removed from my account. 

Be careful!  Have you ever filed a dispute with Amex before?  I have done it a few times.  As soon as Amex receives your dispute, they immediately remove the charge from your account pending their investigation.  If Princess responds to Amex and satisfies Amex that it was a legitimate authorized charge, Amex will put the charge back on your account.  You do get an e-mail that the disputed charge has been credited to your account but it is only a temporary credit.  I'm not contesting what you are saying, I just wanted to make sure you understand Amex' dispute resolution policy.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Daniel A said:

Be careful!  Have you ever filed a dispute with Amex before?  I have done it a few times.  As soon as Amex receives your dispute, they immediately remove the charge from your account pending their investigation.  If Princess responds to Amex and satisfies Amex that it was a legitimate authorized charge, Amex will put the charge back on your account.  You do get an e-mail that the disputed charge has been credited to your account but it is only a temporary credit.  I'm not contesting what you are saying, I just wanted to make sure you understand Amex' dispute resolution policy.

Yes I have done it before. Got letter in mail and an email. No problem.  I also spoke with Amex agent on phone first and followed her advice to do this  

Edited by dog

23 minutes ago, dog said:

Yes I have done it before. Got letter in mail and an email. No problem.  I also spoke with Amex agent on phone first and followed her advice to do this  

I included all paperwork cancellation policy booking details cancellation receipt from cruiseline. All done online with dispute form. Not sure about. “ be careful”. 

47 minutes ago, dog said:

Not sure about. “ be careful”. 

I was concerned that you might not be familiar with the Amex dispute process.  I didn't want you to see a temporary credit as their final answer only for you to find out that you owed the $2K at a later point if the dispute wasn't found in your favor.  As long as you're satisfied that you're made whole by Amex I'm happy for you.  :classic_rolleyes: 

• Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, Daniel A said:

I was concerned that you might not be familiar with the Amex dispute process.  I didn't want you to see a temporary credit as their final answer only for you to find out that you owed the $2K at a later point if the dispute wasn't found in your favor.  As long as you're satisfied that you're made whole by Amex I'm happy for you.  :classic_rolleyes: 

No problem. Been through this before. Talking to agent, having all in writing, receipts., cancellation from cruiseline etc  I am right to dispute now for the money.

thanks for concern. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Daniel A said:

I totally get what you are saying and have also wondered about the comments from people saying it's all resolved once the funds are put back on their card.  I've not done a dispute with Amex, but have with other banks, and you are right -- it's typically a temporary credit pending the investigation which can take quite awhile.  I wonder how many people think it's all resolved, and may get a nasty surprise weeks (months?) from now when Princess supports the charges as legitimate.

And I work in the banking field so I am familiar with bank regulations and practices.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Paula_MacFan said:

I totally get what you are saying and have also wondered about the comments from people saying it's all resolved once the funds are put back on their card.  I've not done a dispute with Amex, but have with other banks, and you are right -- it's typically a temporary credit pending the investigation which can take quite awhile.  I wonder how many people think it's all resolved, and may get a nasty surprise weeks (months?) from now when Princess supports the charges as legitimate.

And I work in the banking field so I am familiar with bank regulations and practices.  

And you are right. No one should rely on anything they read on websites. Each person needs to talk to their own credit card company over their personal situation. 

• Like 1

On 4/3/2020 at 1:15 PM, npcl said:

Its what I expect.  When cruising does start back up, I also expect it to be very limited itineraries at the start, mostly closed loop, no more than 7 days.

I disagree. I expect there will a lot of re-positioning cruises to get the ships in position for resuming operations, whenever that may be.

14 minutes ago, HappyCruiserettu said:

I disagree. I expect there will a lot of re-positioning cruises to get the ships in position for resuming operations, whenever that may be.

Or they might be re-positioned without passengers so they can be at the correct port for when cruising is resumed.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, caribill said:

Or they might be re-positioned without passengers so they can be at the correct port for when cruising is resumed.

If they reposition with a full complement of crew, I could see them offering deeply discounted fares for those cruises.  (As long as they can get some waivers from the Jones Act.) 

• Like 1

It will be interesting, speculation at this point because no one knows.   Itineraries changed, Alaska, Canada might not have cruises until later in the season.  What happens with some ships, 60 days is one thing, but months?

Edited by susancruzs

9 minutes ago, voljeep said:

i'm thinking it may be a staggered startup as some countries and ports will be more acceptable than others to re-start the cruise business … whatever those countries may be

Who knows what will happen?  On the one hand ports/countries may still be gun shy from the virus and keep cruise ships out.  On the other hand, how many of these ports are very dependent on the tourism dollars the cruise ships bring in.  Those ports may end up opening in order to get their economies going again.

Edited by Daniel A
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, susancruzs said:

It will be interesting, speculation at this point because no one knows.   Itineraries changed, Alaska, Canada might not have cruises until later in the season.  What happens with some ships, 60 days is one thing, but months?

Princess is still selling cruises to Alaska from Vancouver and Seattle as early as 16 May.  Canadian ports are closed to cruise ships until at least the 1st of July. Seattle is also closed. Holland America and Cunard (and perhaps others) are also selling cruises during this period.

The government of Canada announced the closure on 13 March.  Surely no-one is going to book a cruise when there is no possibility of it going ahead.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Daniel A said:

If they reposition with a full complement of crew, I could see them offering deeply discounted fares for those cruises.  (As long as they can get some waivers from the Jones Act.) 

My thought, exactly.

And the PVSA (not the Jones act) would not be a factor unless they were transiting from one US port to another.