FCC for over 70 update

1 minute ago, mugtech said:

What is the time requirement, 7 weeks? 7 months? 7 years?

Makes no difference , I will turn 70 in July and have been on 65+ cruises with NO issues, but now I will be required to go to the doctor and she will more than likely require me to have a complete physical in order to sign the release.  I won't do it - period.  I will spend my vacation dollars somewhere else.  Their loss, not mine.

Like I previously said - going forward if that is their rule to sail, so be it but don't tell me I can't get a refund if they won't let me sail on a cruise I already booked long before all of this happened.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Just now, mugtech said:

So I could use a note dated in 2013 guaranteeing my health for the next 6 years?

Go for it.😂

Be realistic.  While they did not specify a date I would assume it needs to be current.  They never said 7 days but I would not expect any issues with something within a month, maybe two.

17 minutes ago, molly361 said:

Other than the honor system if you are diabetic or any other underlying condition and under 70 how would they even know?

They wouldn't but we are more concerned with what happens if one of us gets sick and has to go to medical, as I have on multiple cruises.  I then would have to either lie and say I don't have asthma but have been using an inhaler for X amount of days or tell the truth about lying to board the ship.  Not a position I want to put us in.  

23 minutes ago, molly361 said:

Other than the honor system if you are diabetic or any other underlying condition and under 70 how would they even know?

My late SO was diabetic and requested a sharps container on each cruise.  He died almost three years ago and stewards are still asking me if I need a sharps container.  I believe this is included in the information about guests provided to stewards.

12 minutes ago, reallyitsmema said:

They wouldn't but we are more concerned with what happens if one of us gets sick and has to go to medical, as I have on multiple cruises.  I then would have to either lie and say I don't have asthma but have been using an inhaler for X amount of days or tell the truth about lying to board the ship.  Not a position I want to put us in.  

To quote myself and clarify before I am told by some I shouldn't cruise anyway, I have only gone to medical because both DH and I got flu on Anthem, along with a few hundred others.  I also had a reaction to the cleaners that were dripping everywhere on a norovirus cruise, plus all the fogging at night.  I am a very controlled asthmatic who has NEVER (knock on wood) been rushed to the hospital with issues.  

I just won't lie to cruise.  We will wait it out.

Would there be any consumer contract laws that would require the cruise lines to give refunds rather than FCC to people over 70 who cannot get a doctor to sign the currently required paper?  Seems like those over 70 entered into a contract that was changed.  The cruise lines certainly want to stand on "read the cruise contract" when it benefits them.  As consumers would be nice if this were the case for us as well.

We have grown to enjoy cruising.  This requirement is such a crushing blow to think we might not be able to cruise again if the current doctor's note as is stays in place due to my husband's chronic condition that is extremely well managed.

Stepping off my soap box.  🙂

Edited by denamo
  • Like 2

It's just going to be a wait and see.    for now, I am 99.9% sure we won't be allowed to board since my DH is a diabetic and I am not about to travel to the cruise port to find out denied and have to travel back home.    At least this one I was given the option to get cash back since they already changed from NE/Canada to be a Bermuda cruise, but for now I will wait and see.   I would love to go back to Bermuda - one of my favorite spots.

May 7th (I think is the date) we are due to make our final payment for our Europe b2b for August.     We will wait till first week of May and see what is happening in the world then and if they still have the medical restrictions.    Then we have cruises planned for October, December and and b2b b2b for January.    We'll see and hope for the best.    for now, Stay Well everyone!

21 hours ago, CTCruiser76 said:

Someone may have said this already, maybe I missed it, but what stopping someone (not a real Dr.)  from just signing the document and providing a phony registration  number ?  Are they really checking it with anyone before you board? 

This could be fraud, and illegal on many counts.  If the cruise line finds out, a lifetime ban would be reasonable.  

• Like 1

Still don't agree with it.  With the suits filed against doctors from people that sue over anything, what doctor is going to sign this?  My husband is perfectly healthy and I think it stinks that he is being discriminated against because of his age.  

• Like 4

On 4/8/2020 at 4:06 PM, WeLuvVacation said:

What MD is gonna sign a form stating that a pax 70 or more is "healthy" enough to sail on a cruise. Can you see the malpractice suits plus the lawsuits to the cruise company if a pax in that situation dies? Or "any" pax for that matter. If this policy becomes permanent cruise lines are gonna lose a ton of business.

If you glanced around on any recent cruises you would have seen a large portion of the cruisers appeared to be over 70 thus if the Doctor note remained as a requirement there would not be many cruisers on most ships.  I asked this question to a C&A rep today and he said as far as he has heard the Doctor note would be required.  I told him I was not over 70 but over 80 and no way would I be able to bribe my doctor to sign the current note and thus would not be able to cruise in June on Brilliance.  He said I would be denied boarding and get my money refunded.  I have to fly to Europe so then what?  I told him I did not believe that the June 12 cruise would not be cancelled based on current virus progress throughout the world.

2 hours ago, zonacruiser25 said:

Thanks for the correction.  I don't follow these things so deep and CLIA like many alphabet posts was not in my ventricular 

Oh, so many abbreviations (many of which are the same, and may even pretty applicable to the situation, as you found) are tossed around, and they're not always defined the first time around! 

You know, people keep referencing age discrimination and ADA regarding this letter.  As far as I know, a cruise passenger is not an EMPLOYEE who was affected by age bias, and the ADA or EEOC does not apply.  If there is an attorney who deals in this specific area, perhaps they can address it.

Also re ADA, well, we have scientific evidence that  the conditions cited are definitely adverse conditions when the individual is affected by any illness, let alone COVID-19.

I really doubt CLIA or any cruise line attorney totally missed thoughts of age discrimination suits when they came up with this idea for VP Pence.  

And, well, since these beloved cruise companies tend to avoid US law (and taxes) when it suits them.....  

And I say that as someone who is 66 with controlled HBP and Type 2 diabetes.  And of course my internist would send me to the psychiatrist if I appeared and asked him to sign such a letter.  He, at least, kind of wants to extend my life.

PS - I enjoyed my senior hours at Trader Joe this morning, and have often enjoyed senior discounts at restaurants and movies, etc.  Guess it's ok with 'discrimination' breaks my way, but not the other?

Edited by greykitty
  • Like 2

Many people over 70 have underling conditions, high blood pressure, diabetes ,asthma, etc.  If the condition is under control, why wouldn't a doctor say that it is ok to cruise?  I'm not 70 yet but have high blood pressure, asthma and maybe prediabetic but I don't need a note.  I say age discrimination!!!

7 minutes ago, greykitty said:

Y

PS - I enjoyed my senior hours at Trader Joe this morning, and have often enjoyed senior discounts at restaurants and movies, etc.  Guess it's ok with 'discrimination' breaks my way, but not the other?

Not the point.  They are asking a DOCTOR, who can be sued by the crazy people that love to sue, to sign a letter say it is okay for you to travel.  The cruise lines will lose hundreds of thousands of passengers.  Don't see it happening.  This letter will go away soon.  Totally different than benefits for being over 55 or 60, you are asking a doctor to put is license on the line. 

• Like 1

Just now, karena1 said:

Not the point.  They are asking a DOCTOR, who can be sued by the crazy people that love to sue, to sign a letter say it is okay for you to travel.  The cruise lines will lose hundreds of thousands of passengers.  Don't see it happening.  This letter will go away soon.  Totally different than benefits for being over 55 or 60, you are asking a doctor to put is license on the line. 

And no ethical healthcare provider would sign it,  as I said...not just because of litigation, but because they care about the health of their patient.  Doesn't that mean something to people?   Why is a vacation worth more than your life, or the lives of those around you?

9 minutes ago, F19810 said:

Many people over 70 have underling conditions, high blood pressure, diabetes ,asthma, etc.  If the condition is under control, why wouldn't a doctor say that it is ok to cruise?  I'm not 70 yet but have high blood pressure, asthma and maybe prediabetic but I don't need a note.  I say age discrimination!!!

This I agree with (and I think several of the cruise lines have pointed out they want letters from 'younger' people with these conditions).  Honestly, and I say this as someone with these conditions, only a fool would get on a cruise ship if they had these conditions.  And if I were that  fool, I would not expect anyone to put their life at risk to come rescue me.  

• Like 2