No Sail Order Extended

minidonuts85

I don’t think Windstar is part of a mega conglomerate such as Carnival, Royal Caribbean, and Norwegian Cruise Line. Well, it is cuddled up with Xanterra but that would be a mini-conglomerate. Which is no bad thing generally but during this pandemic (and aftermath), I worry Windstar will find it difficult to re-establish itself.

What is the thinking here?

Please note I am not trash talking this line which is my favorite. Have a Windstar Panama Canal booked in January 2021.

The big three are borrowing money left and right, some under unfavorable terms, to keep things afloat (no pun intended). Carnival especially or at least they’ve been reported the most the in news. Coupled with impending COVID 19 lawsuits and the cost to keep their ships in hot layup ($1-2M each, monthly) with no revenue stream, they are bleeding.

For us, our personal feeling is when we cruise again, a small ship with fewer people is ideal. We already said to ourselves awhile back that we’d stay off of the large ships and this just underscores it for us.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• Like 2

Our August 2020 Alaska trip was cancelled by Windstar due to a combination of Covid restrictions and ongoing delays with the stretch of Star Breeze.  Fortunately this happened before final payment so all I have as a FCC with Windstar is my deposit and the amount I'd paid for some ship's excursions.  I did not want to be in a situation where I'd made final payment and then had a significant sum with the line and a general uncertainty about the overall future for Windstar (and other lines).

I do agree that being on a small ship is definitely better than being on the huge ships, and we really do want to cruise Windstar again.  At this point, I'll keep my FCC on the books and watch for the world to change and settle and will hopefully book with them for summer 2021.  Fingers crossed that they have the funding to stay viable.

• Like 1

On 4/10/2020 at 9:26 AM, minidonuts85 said:

The big three are borrowing money left and right, some under unfavorable terms, to keep things afloat (no pun intended). Carnival especially or at least they’ve been reported the most the in news. Coupled with impending COVID 19 lawsuits and the cost to keep their ships in hot layup ($1-2M each, monthly) with no revenue stream, they are bleeding.

Not cruising at least until 2022. Meanwhile, I'll renovate, prepare for retirement and read the Board and shake my head.

BTW, don't take too seriously comments by the Big Three telling you that they are optimistic about flattening the curve and that they'll be back in business soon - just check where they send their political contribution.

Not cruising at least until 2022. Meanwhile, I'll renovate, prepare for retirement and read the Board and shake my head.

BTW, don't take too seriously comments by the Big Three telling you that they are optimistic about flattening the curve and that they'll be back in business soon - just check where they send their political contribution.

Some of the comments that they’ll be sailing again by the end of June are insane.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Cometman said:

Our fingers are crossed for our November 2020 sailing....

Hoping the best for you guys! We were supposed to be on Jost Van Dyke for a week the end of May and the BVI Government just announced yesterday that they will not be open to visitors until, 9/1 at the earliest. After that it will be a phased opening.

We are supposed to be on the Wind Spirit on June 8.  No cancellation from Windstar yet, but I don't see how it can be a go.  The area we will be in also suffered a category 5 storm last week (Vanuatu, Fiji, Tonga, etc.).  So sad to see more devastation in the midst of everything else.

I did not know the BVIs would be closed for so long!  I wonder if all the other islands will shut down that long also.

Pam

21 hours ago, minidonuts85 said:

Hoping the best for you guys! We were supposed to be on Jost Van Dyke for a week the end of May and the BVI Government just announced yesterday that they will not be open to visitors until, 9/1 at the earliest. After that it will be a phased opening.

September is hurricane season, so they basically are saying no visitors until November.

Edited by O2B@Cagain

September is hurricane season, so they basically are saying no visitors until November.

Exactly. The season is shot until the holidays. In addition to the May trip we had planned we also go for NYE and hoping even that will happen. With the social distancing concerns, I wouldn’t be surprised to see Foxys Old Years party dramatically limited in capacity. We’ve attended the past few years and it’s a sardine can down by the stage.

I am supposed to be on Wind Star in Tahiti in January 2021 and I doubt that will happen. Right now, French Polynesia is closed to visitors and is likely to remain so until a vaccine is developed in 12-18 months. I don't think there economy can survive that long as it is heavily reliant on tourism. I only have $100 deposit involved and my plane tickets are award tix that I can cancel and get beck the miles on.

I am supposed to be on Wind Star in Tahiti in January 2021 and I doubt that will happen. Right now, French Polynesia is closed to visitors and is likely to remain so until a vaccine is developed in 12-18 months. I don't think there economy can survive that long as it is heavily reliant on tourism. I only have $100 deposit involved and my plane tickets are award tix that I can cancel and get beck the miles on.

Thanks for that info! We wanted to push up our 2022 Tahiti cruise to spring/summer of 2021.

Seeing reports of emails being sent from WS that the pause is now extended to 6/30

From their website:

TRAVEL ADVISORY
April 20, 2020

Due to the continued effects of COVID-19 on the world’s population and expanded travel restrictions enacted by multiple governments, Windstar Cruises is extending its temporary suspension of operations until June 30, 2020. Windstar will begin operating cruises aboard its yachts and small ships again in July 2020.

The health and well-being of guests, crew, land-based employees and people in the communities we visit is always a top priority.

For those guests with canceled cruises due to this extension, Windstar is offering a Future Cruise Credit (FCC) valued at 125% of all monies paid to Windstar Cruises on the booking. Guests will have until December 31, 2021 to book and sail with their FCC. Guests may also request to exchange the FCC for a refund of 100% of monies paid to Windstar Cruises on the canceled booking. Guests have until December 31, 2021 to request the refund.

• Like 1

My final payment on my July Baltics cruise was due today.  I just called to see what my options were, and was told that they have changed the final payment due date to 30 days out.  This gives us time to see how things are panning out before pulling the plug.  Plus in terms of the travel insurance, we have coverage if they cancel on us.

I cancelled my June 30 cruise when final payment came due (then it was still due 90 days out). I think even if they had changed it to 30 days out I would have cancelled. I just couldn't get into researching what to do in ports, setting up flights, hotels, etc associated with a trip that had a significant risk of not happening. I though about switching to a very similar itinerary sailing late July but felt even that was too uncertain. 

10 hours ago, new_cruiser said:

I cancelled my June 30 cruise when final payment came due (then it was still due 90 days out). I think even if they had changed it to 30 days out I would have cancelled. I just couldn't get into researching what to do in ports, setting up flights, hotels, etc associated with a trip that had a significant risk of not happening. I though about switching to a very similar itinerary sailing late July but felt even that was too uncertain. 

I have now had three trips fully planned that had to be cancelled.  One for medical reasons (since resolved), one because Windstar couldn't get their dry-docks done on time, and one last month for COVID-19.  I still hope to take all three in the future – but I have already enjoyed them because of the planning.  When I'm planning, nothing ever goes wrong!  The weather is perfect, we don't get sick or injured, the food is as great as the pictures make it look – everything.  So I don't feel I wasted any time planning those three trips, and when we reschedule them I will only have to update my plans instead of starting over.  Win-Win.

• Like 2

30 days is a great move. It allows you to hold your money longer. If not, you might cancel your cruise. By pushing it out, you might hold out long enough to be comfortable sailing. Windstar is trying to do the right thing.  

I like it. Can’t imagine this would be permanent but I do agree given the state of the environment, good move.

12 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

I have now had three trips fully planned that had to be cancelled.  One for medical reasons (since resolved), one because Windstar couldn't get their dry-docks done on time, and one last month for COVID-19.  I still hope to take all three in the future – but I have already enjoyed them because of the planning.  When I'm planning, nothing ever goes wrong!  The weather is perfect, we don't get sick or injured, the food is as great as the pictures make it look – everything.  So I don't feel I wasted any time planning those three trips, and when we reschedule them I will only have to update my plans instead of starting over.  Win-Win.

Great attitude.

I'm with you Jazzbeau.  I was so depressed until I took care of all my plans that I had to cancel, and got something planned for next year.  I was having "trip planning withdrawal".  Now I have something to look forward to!  Cheers to good trips next year!

I still have hope:  Surf, 9/28, Malta, Sicily. I am going to wait it out. My deposit is $ 100, most of my air is miles, tours I can basically cancel anytime and get my money back. 

I think with my travel  savvy   I can use good judgement to go or not to go.  Some days full of hope others despair. Then I think I am selfish worrying about a trip when so many people are suffering. I have put so much research and work into this trip I call it my food, art, music trip. I truly hope WS can weather this pandemic, I certainly believe in the scientists so hope, wait,  try to keep healthy and do good. What I can not do and I wish I could plan for 2021. Stay well all, hope for Happy Sailing in the future.

• Like 4

On 4/22/2020 at 1:18 PM, new_cruiser said:

I've already got airfare, shore excursions, hotels pre and post booked.  This trip was a replacement to the September sailing we were supposed to take on the Legend.  So it's already been upended once.  I have a feeling it's going to get cancelled.