How we can help Celebrity

Mojogurued

Booking Celebrity Silhouette for March 2022 in Aquaclass. I say stop worrying and calling about refunds and put your next sailings on the map, and show these shareholders that we're here and ready to sail after this lockdown. I'm not going anywhere and that's how Celebrity will bounce back quicker for refunds and get the ships back and running without more loans. Even a couple of excursions or a drink package could go a long way.

Cheers to our Fall 2020 return to sea and beyond!  🥂

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

Well, I am with you on almost everything you mention but unfortuantly people are careless. Noone cares about a well-being of some "Celebrity". People care more about themselves and their own, personal financial status. I doubt that anything will change in this matter in the upcoming months. I would rather get my money back and just buy another cruise or even change my travel plans entirely 

• Like 3

My opinion and advice wont be welcome however

1. The lack of income and continuing overheads are unsustainable. Government assistance will not be forthcoming due to ports of registration etc.

2. Many cruise lines will file for bankruptcy in the coming weeks.

3.  FCC's, deposits and payments will vanish as unsecured creditors

4.  Grab a refund if at all possible

5.  If you can afford to lose deposits and payments, carry on, otherwise do nothing.

Edited by BigAl94
  • Like 20
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, BigAl94 said:

1. The lack of income and continuing overheads are unsustainable. Government assistance will not be forthcoming due to ports of registration etc.

3.  FCC's, deposits and payments will vanish

5.  If you can afford to lose deposits and payments, carry on, otherwise do nothing.

You don’t get any more upbeat. The cruise industry will most definitely end if we all take that attitude my friend.

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, BigAl94 said:

TOTALLY agree with you.

Many cannot understand what's going on.

• Like 9

27 minutes ago, yorky said:

You don’t get any more upbeat. The cruise industry will most definitely end if we all take that attitude my friend.

The cruise industry as we knew it has ended. No idea what the future will hold but it will be very different.

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, BP99 said:

TOTALLY agree with you.

Many cannot understand what's going on.

Jeez I think having a different point of view does not mean you can’t understand what’s going on. We are ALL seeing what’s going on, on a daily basis, we just have different opinions on how it will pan out longer term.

Edited by yorky
  • Like 8

45 minutes ago, BigAl94 said:

Agree with your points, the public doesn’t owe Celebrity anything. Do what is best for yourself, not anyone else. The money is better in your pockets than a potentially bankrupt cruise line. 

Some people around here are living in fairy land. 

• Like 22

47 minutes ago, BigAl94 said:

You forgot to add:

100 day ban on cruises (CDC). This may be a the game changer.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Ronin23 said:

Agree with your points, the public doesn’t owe Celebrity anything. Do what is best for yourself, not anyone else. The money is better in your pockets than a potentially bankrupt cruise line. 

The insults are flying this morning.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, GastroGnome said:

I'm with you OP.  We've got sailings booked through 2021 now and are exploring 2022. Glad we got out 2021 sailings booked before CV though - prices are going astronimical!

I don't think the prices posted for cruises next year will end up anything like the price closer to sailing. I am like many other loyal cruisers who can't wait to get back to the cruising days of old. However away from boards like this, I think the cruise industry is going to take a massive hit and prices will drop in a huge way. There are so many people I have spoken to recently that have cruised in the past and most are saying that they will likely not cruise again. My opinion is that it will take a few years for the cruise industry to bounce back and there will be some mighty deals to be had later on.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

I am not sure people are being mean....I think it's being real.  I prefer being an optimist to a pessimist, but when things are settled and I see what the cruise world looks like after all the dust settles, I will decide what's next for my husband and I where travel is concerned.  LOL, we may decide to buy the tiny camper and see the rest of the USA....not sure.  That pre-existing condition clause is going to have to be removed before we even think of it.  Until then, committing dollars to companies that can't even refund their customer's cash in a timely manner is an issue that a lot of us can't afford to take.  We love Celebrity, but right now they still owe many to include ourselves hard earned cash.  Most of us don't have the luxury of giving cash away....that's the reality of the situation. 

• Like 19

9 minutes ago, islandgirlejfan said:

I am not sure people are being mean....I think it's being real.

Certainly not being mean, just being a realist. People thinking things will be like before and just return to normal is being foolish as well as encouraging people to plonk deposits on future cruises in the valiant  hope that it might save the cruise line somehow is irresponsible. 

There is a very real scenario that Celebrity might not survive this crisis. 

Edited by Ronin23
  • Like 11

4 hours ago, Mojogurued said:

Booking Celebrity Silhouette for March 2022 in Aquaclass. I say stop worrying and calling about refunds and put your next sailings on the map, and show these shareholders that we're here and ready to sail after this lockdown. I'm not going anywhere and that's how Celebrity will bounce back quicker for refunds and get the ships back and running without more loans. Even a couple of excursions or a drink package could go a long way.

Put more money into a sinking ship?  Not me!

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Mojogurued said:

Despite years of loyalty  to X  by taking several cruises per yr, mostly  in AQ class since its inception ;  and spending tons of money on excursions, dining, spa and shopping....we have been banned for the foreseeable future  by CLIA due to age and " chronic conditions". ( beyond control of X, I know) ;  and

We are now stuck with useless future cruise vouchers that are non transferable or refundable;  and

We have received  terrible customer service  and endless double talk regarding cancellations and refunds from Celebrity. No loyalty to us apparently. Not my job to keep them afloat.  (We are not shareholders)

We  will not be booking anything new and giving them more money to hold onto for months on end.  We  have kept one cruise booking to possibly pay for with  my FCC....an iffy gamble at best!

Hope the more optimistic and new demographic will enjoy many yrs of cruising but not taking bets on how it all resolves!

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ronin23 said:

There's no doubt about that.  Some think they're sailing in August or September.  And apparently some think they should book a cruise and put down a deposit to "help" a billion+ dollar corporation.

Edited by bouhunter
  • Like 6

We have had many wonderful cruises on Celebrity and are loyal to the brand --- but I don't see that we have any obligation to bail them out. It is still a business arrangement. As long as they have a product we want, we will buy it when it is up and running again. They aren't family who needs and deserves our financial support. Personally, I'm waiting to see how all of this plays out before deciding where to travel next. As a poster above said, if you can happily afford to lose money (or wait for your refund), then go for it. I rather doubt that Celebrity would be too sympathetic if I were having financial issues --- I'm pretty sure they would proceed as "business as usual."

• Like 14

My view towards Celebrity is similar to my view on local businesses that are struggling during this pandemic.  If I supported them prior to the pandemic I'll try to support them now.  For local restaurants I order take out if available and gift cards if not.  Will I lose some $ if they go under, yes.  IMHO it's worth it to risk a little to help out businesses that I liked.

Same for Celebrity. 

And for those who think they will go bankrupt, while that's possible given the measures they took at the start of this pandemic I suspect it's unlikely unless this goes for 6-9 months more.

https://gcaptain.com/royal-caribbean-borrows-2-2-billion-to-shore-up-liquidity/

• Like 5

14 minutes ago, ABoatNerd said:

Not ever helping a corporation.

Give people back the money they are owed, they have $ sitting in their new ship building funds.

If they do not return the funds,  the cruise lines are stealing.

Take money in from more people by selling new cruises  in order to pay out the refunds and debts owed  to others.  

• Like 4

I wouldrather get my money back and just buy another cruise or even change my travel plans entirely 

Is the OP a TA? It’s just the attitude expressed by my TA when I contacted her when I read that Silhouette was not coming to Southampton on 17th April, but I assumed that she was trying to protect her commission.

At age 78, it would be foolish to book another cruise for 2022. I do hope I will still be around and if I am, I will look at a late booking. 

Who knows how long Celebrity will keep the restriction of the Drs note for the over 70’s. At the moment I won’t get one, as I have had notification from my Drs to Self Shield, due to multiple long term conditions. I feel well but am not prepared to pay for a cruise which might not go ahead on 1st August, just to be issued with a FCC which I might be unable to use.

• Like 3