How we can help Celebrity

Mojogurued

24 minutes ago, markeb said:

Recovery from the 1918-1920 (it was multiple years) flu is hard to say as it was also recovery from World War I. A decent argument can be made that "recovery" came in the late 1940's with the Marshall Plan...  That's an exaggeration, but that flu pandemic hit a disproportionate number of the working class and complicated any recovery from the impacts of the war, especially in central Europe and especially in Germany. And probably contributed to the economic depression that led a charismatic, xenophobic Austrian to power in the early 1930's...

In the US, recovery after the pandemic was pretty quick.  The 1920's became know as the roaring 20's due to the economic prosperity of the period.  But anyway, I don't want to get off the topic of the thread which is how to help Celebrity...

Edited by DWhit

Best way to help all cruise line companies is to back away from the booking sights and refrain from further cruise planning and monetary expenditure. That might seem the antithesis of what OP's intentions are, but it works for me. Future deposits and payments in full will be a small contribution to the cruise coffers and will certainly not be used to give us refunds on cancelled cruises. I would hope that "reserve and emergency funds" set aside over the years would suffice in that respect. Shame on them if they have none.

RCCL, et al, should be totally dedicated to getting their employees healthy and their ships sterile. They should not be focused on selling future cruises, which for now are just words and dates on paper with no guarantee of coming to fruition. I would hope that once this formidable global pallor begins to lift its veil, there will be no rush to judgement that all is well. It will take time for things to safely settle. 

As savvy cruisers, all of us want to once again sail the oceans blue. I firmly believe that it is our responsibility to ensure RCCL knows what we deserve and expect from the future product. We do that by letting them handle this crisis on their own, not by subsidizing. And you know what, if the right people have been tuned in to these forums, perhaps the thousands of posts will serve as markers helping to lead them in the right direction, and continued success.     

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Spif Barwunkel said:

And you know what, if the right people have been tuned in to these forums, perhaps the thousands of posts will serve as markers helping to lead them in the right direction, and continued success.     

I've always wondered if the cruise lines pay any attention to these boards, or if there are some among us who are actually employed by the lines in some capacity. Either way, one would think the lines would be well served to monitor the pulse of CC in these uncertain times. 

• Like 1

What has Celebrity done to address the problem? What have they done to win the support of cruisers? I frequently cruise on Crystal and a few weeks they started a program available on another site that features cooking demonstrations, podcasts by speakers and entertainment  This keeps passengers in contact with the line and fuels what they miss by not cruising. What has Celebrity done to encourage their passengers to book future cruises?

• Like 2

On 4/13/2020 at 1:35 PM, Baron Barracuda said:

The Spanish flu actually extended from Jan 1918 to Dec 1920.  How many could take 3 years of this?

Followed by hyperinflation in some countries, prohibition in others... (can you imagine the loss of revenue from all those alcohol packages) and the great depression..

1 hour ago, treehugr said:

I've always wondered if the cruise lines pay any attention to these boards, or if there are some among us who are actually employed by the lines in some capacity. Either way, one would think the lines would be well served to monitor the pulse of CC in these uncertain times. 

They do. 

2 hours ago, treehugr said:

I’m sure they may visit them occasionally, but I’m not sure how important they view them. My suspicion is that the percentage of cruisers who use this particular board is so small, that it has very minor significance to the cruise lines for being a “voice of the common cruiser”. I could be wrong, but I am guessing that cruisers are spread all over social media and to monitor them all would be laborious. I look at the decrease of posters on our roll calls in the past 2 years, and it is less than half of who used to frequent them.

Edited by clojacks

1 hour ago, Life Buoy said:

What has Celebrity done to address the problem? What have they done to win the support of cruisers? I frequently cruise on Crystal and a few weeks they started a program available on another site that features cooking demonstrations, podcasts by speakers and entertainment  This keeps passengers in contact with the line and fuels what they miss by not cruising. What has Celebrity done to encourage their passengers to book future cruises?

Viking does something similar with their daily Viking.TV.

10 minutes ago, fwdpost said:

This discussion is a joke, or just the company's pr effort to sow pity for the poor little cruise line and its billions of dollars?

Unfortunately it is not. As a cruiser with 89 cruises under my belt and in some years I have taken 13 cruises in one year I can be classified as a cruise aficionado but we literally have millions of people unemployed because of this virus and there really are people feeling sorry for cruiselines or having withdrawal symptoms because they can't go on a cruise. It's a pretty sad state of affairs.

Edited by kwokpot
  • Like 12
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Life Buoy said:

Celebrity has been doing a Cooking with Celebrity series on Instagram. Pretty sure I've gotten emails about it as well.

Edited by WrittenOnYourHeart
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, WrittenOnYourHeart said:

Celebrity has been doing a Cooking with Celebrity series on Instagram. Pretty sure I've gotten emails about it as well.

I think people would be more impressed, and certainly gain more confidence, if Celebrity did some public announcements about their refund process. It would be a far better use of PR.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, downsmead said:

I think people would be more impressed, and certainly gain more confidence, if Celebrity did some public announcements about their refund process. It would be a far better use of PR.

Great suggestion.

It would help tremendously.....presently there's no way to track the refund process/ progress.

We've been told the exact odd amounts we should  expect that total up to the refund amount awhile ago..... but then it went  back into the black hole again. 

Wish they could develop and offer a refund tracker...but probably too much to ask.!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, downsmead said:

Consumer confidence is gained when not only is there communication, but something actionable.  Putting Celeb execs face all over social media and explaining the refund process is stilted and broken isn't going to garner any goodwill or confidence from customers; it will just intensify efforts from people to get refunds NOW. 

• Like 3

A better idea!!!  What an Celebrity do for me????  Not what can I do for Celebrity.  Took my money.  Cancelled the cruise.  Gave me (have not got it yet) FCC.  Changed the rules . Over 70.  No respect for LLP and her minions.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Was just informed by TA that “At this time, Celebrity has advised that refunds may take up to 30 days from the original sailing date, so you should be receiving it within the coming weeks”. This is for 3/27 sailing for which refund was requested on 3/13.

Also have cruises on 5/2 and 5/9 cancelled by Celebrity on 3/24, requested refund on same day. Are they telling us that we have to wait till June to get refunds!

Not a good way to treat customers!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

So why does it take so long to get cash refunds now?   The normal process of refunding to your credit card should take a few days.  I asked for a refund of my deposit back in early January this year for a cruise I cancelled in July.  Not COVID-19 related but for a different reason.  Just before the crisis.  I got a refund on my credit card within 3 days.  So it can be easily done.  But now I am waiting for another refund requested more recently.  Now the process seems invisible and apparently refunds are delayed by months.   That is telling us what we already know -  Celebrity and parent RCCL are really struggling with monthly cash flow.  Cash refunds might not come until cruises resume operations and cash starts to become available again.  Yes the situation stinks for them and us.  

• Like 4

" How can WE help Celebrity " ?

" Celebrity has been doing a Cooking with Celebrity series on Instagram "

I just can't understand the above quotes :

1----We have supported , and will continue to , when the time is right, cruise with them again. 

To show their " credibility " and " respect " to the thousands of loyal customers , IMO , they should concentrate their efforts on refunding the monies asap to those who requested it. The money they are holding is " in trust " as deposits toward future " Sales Purchases " or " Paid Sales " that were not provided.   

2--- There must be Management meetings , Focus Groups, Team meetings, Marketing meetings,  etc, etc, held every day ---- and spending time and money on " Cooking with Celebrity " is what they come up with to satisfy the consumers confidence in the Company's continued support ???   I wonder what their Board of Directors and Shareholders think of this strategy ???

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Pinboy said:

" How can WE help Celebrity " ?

" Celebrity has been doing a Cooking with Celebrity series on Instagram "

I just can't understand the above quotes :

1----We have supported , and will continue to , when the time is right, cruise with them again. 

To show their " credibility " and " respect " to the thousands of loyal customers , IMO , they should concentrate their efforts on refunding the monies asap to those who requested it. The money they are holding is " in trust " as deposits toward future " Sales Purchases " or " Paid Sales " that were not provided.   

2--- There must be Management meetings , Focus Groups, Team meetings, Marketing meetings,  etc, etc, held every day ---- and spending time and money on " Cooking with Celebrity " is what they come up with to satisfy the consumers confidence in the Company's continued support ???   I wonder what their Board of Directors and Shareholders think of this strategy ???

I agree with your comments in general.  Yes they should refund asap.  This issue is not related to cooking shows or other diversions which are fine if it is a positive for some customers.  But I ask perhaps that you clarify your thoughts on "Trust" as I am trying to understand your meaning.  I don't think they are holding money "in trust"  like in an escrow account for us.  It just comes out of their available cash pool.    Or did you mean in our personal trust for them to do the right thing? Thanks.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Pinboy said:

...and you know for a fact they aren't?

• Like 1

Just now, TeeRick said:

I agree with your comments in general.  Yes they should refund asap.  This issue is not related to cooking shows or other diversions which are fine if it is a positive for some customers.  But I ask perhaps that you clarify your thoughts on "Trust" as I am trying to understand your meaning.  I don't think they are holding money "in trust"  like in an escrow account for us.  It just comes out of their available cash pool.    Or did you mean in our personal trust for them to do the right thing? Thanks.

I meant  as " Good Faith " .

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, clojacks said:

...and you know for a fact they aren't?

I said they must be , inferring they  are   having meetings and this is what they decided was important at this time to ensure the confidence and support of their customers.