High Prices

HazeGray

On 4/16/2020 at 10:20 PM, cruzsnooze said:

Where are you getting the information bookings are up? If they are it's only because of the humongous FCC's people are using. Demand will stay pent up until there is a vaccine, I'm not risking my life over a cruise. 

correct.

https://amp.usatoday.com/amp/2868160001

in that story, a Morgan Stanley analyst says the 2021 sales are driven largely by the FCC. Fascinating that the cruise lines were offering FCC bonuses to customers as a way to avoid paying cash refunds ... and now the companies can just keep '21 pieces high and eat up those "bonuses" at zero cost.

The glut of FCC bookings in '21 will be a major reason that prices won't be dropping.

7 hours ago, jennybenny said:

We rebooked our Alaska cruise for next year. Prices are higher than we want to pay. First time we’ve ever said, book it for cabin choice and if we can’t refare for a reasonable (to us) price between now and final payment we will request a refund of our deposit. I know this is frowned upon but we are paying $800 more per person for the same cabin previously booked, same perks, same dates almost. It is what it is 

We haven't rebooked our Alaskan cruise yet, but at an increase of $800 per person, think that it is unlikely.

You are very lucky to be able to re fare cruises and have a refund of deposit.

Here in UK, we are allowed to make one change to our bookings, at an admin fee of £100. Deposit means just that.....no refunds!  

Just a personal moan about difference in prices and T&Cs between countries.

2 hours ago, Reina del Mar said:

We haven't rebooked our Alaskan cruise yet, but at an increase of $800 per person, think that it is unlikely.

Here in UK, we are allowed to make one change to our bookings, at an admin fee of £100. Deposit means just that.....no refunds!  

It may be a personal moan but I agree totally!

Have you ever bottomed out why we dont have price drop , re-fare, cancel without deposit loss facilities

available to US /CAN Cruisers.

One reason that seems to crop up is that  we have better Consumer Protection and ABTA & ATOL.

That reason seems to be going out the window as ABTA  are asking  .GOV to make it so that

the travel businesses ONLY give refunds as FCCs.   or  other vouchers that if not used after a period

(2 years has been mooted)   can be cashed in.  I dont really call that consumer protection

when it has only been mooted  a month after we  were cancelled.

To put it another way we will be lending money to these companies. Whether we can afford it or not.   We will not be booking another cruise until we have a refund in cash from a 28 day Princess cruise.

• Like 1

I looked to re-book an Alaska cruise for next year, it was over $1000 more (cancels out the $150 on-board credit they are offering if we book by May 31). I decided it's not worth booking at this time. 

No.  But we live within driving distance of the Port of Vancouver.  I keep an eye on on last minute Alaska cruise pricing.

Over the past three or four years it has been possible to buy cruises for $299 (inside) $399 (outside) a week or so prior to sailing.  Princess, HAL, and NCL in particular.  And cruise/land have also been discounted in a similar way.  And in the middle of summer, not just the May or Sept runs.  An excess of demand.

So would we rush to book an Alaska cruise months out from sailing date. No.   Perhaps the cruise lines are artificially inflating the cost of cruises outside of the normal demand/supply curve in order to encourage folks to book....especially those who take FCC's instead of a refund.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Reina del Mar said:

The ability to refare is nice to have.  It does suck for people who cannot have that flexibility and a high admin fee to change it. We would no way have rebooked Alaska if we did not have the ability to refare, or cancel, at those rates. I think that Princess is trying to make up for their loss of revenue.  I think cruising is going to go up in price. I suspect they may add a cleaning fee to bookings, similar to fuel surcharges. The world is changing due to this pandemic. 

24 minutes ago, iancal said:

Over the past three or four years it has been possible to buy cruises for $299 (inside) $399 (outside) a week or so prior to sailing.  Princess, HAL, and NCL in particular.  And cruise/land have also been discounted in a similar way.  And in the middle of summer, not just the May or Sept runs.  An excess of demand.

I don't think we've seen prices that low out of San Francisco, but I would definitely keep an eye out for deals and go last minute, if possible. The current prices for next year are RIDICULOUS. 

1 hour ago, AF-1 said:

wow Alaska pricing is getting to steep for some.  Wonder why Princess has jacked up prices by so much.  Anybody know the reasoning behind the price hike?  

it seems obvious to me that because PCL was so generous with FCC's and not having any income to speak of, they are raising the price to eat up the FCC. Remember, you only have 18 months or so to use it or loose it which in Alaska cruise terms means all of 2020 cruisers +2021 Cruisers need to fit into 1 cruise season. Demand will keep prices high.

I am double downing on Alaska for next year.  Lost a May cruise/tour  this year at a fantastic price on HAL...all amenities, etc.  Knowing that many will be rebooking for next year, I jumped on HALs Have It All and Princess Plus for next year with the option to cancel one or another.  HAL is coming in at $1000 more (for the two of us).....with just about the same itinerary.  Princess gives us one extra day in Denali.  Unless HAL comes up with something really great over the next year, I'll probably cancel them and stick with Princess to save the $1000.  Just keeping my fingers crossed that HAL refunds this year's cruise.  I've been waiting since the middle of March......sigh....  HALS suites appear to be much larger than Princess, but hey, $1000 is $1000.

Edited by MudderBear

16 minutes ago, WmFCoyote said:

it seems obvious to me that because PCL was so generous with FCC's and not having any income to speak of, they are raising the price to eat up the FCC. Remember, you only have 18 months or so to use it or loose it which in Alaska cruise terms means all of 2020 cruisers +2021 Cruisers need to fit into 1 cruise season. Demand will keep prices high.

I am not totally convinced that this will be true...maybe!

Many people have already booked, so not a huge amount of cabins available.

Some will not return to cruising until they feel safe that Covid19 is well under control and/ or a vaccine has been found, some have decided never to cruise again. Some will not attempt to book until FCC/ refund  is in their account. Some will wait to see if current prices are reduced( mainly non US folk who do not have re faring option)

We were lucky that one of our cruises was cancelled very close to departure, so were offered either 225% FCC or 100% refund plus 100% FCC. Sadly, having alerted Princess of our choice on 14th March, we still await the ( promised within 30 days) refund. We had thought to apply the FCC to the Alaskan cruise, but it didn't arrive before Alaskan trip was cancelled.

At the moment we will research future holidays, but do not feel ready to book anything until the situation is more secure. We can't even leave the house, ( except for food, medicine or exercise) let alone the Country!

i think there is far too much speculation and until there are hard facts, we would all be well advised to wait until we know what is fact and what is fiction!

Our May 20, 2020, B2B to Alaska was just cancelled by Princess.  We went ahead and rebooked the same cruise for May 19, 2021, and opted for a balcony cabin.  I watched the 2020 pricing for the Alaska balconies and found it to be higher than our 2021 balcony price so I went ahead and booked it. 

• Like 1

We were booked on an Alaska cruise this July. When Princess cancelled I asked my travel agent to book same cruise 2021. It is a17 cruise tour. Price was the same as this year and I got the same perks that I booked with this year's cruise. Drinks, Internet and gratuities which really surprised me. At least for me. I am very happy with Princess. 

16 hours ago, Italy52 said:

Our May 20, 2020, B2B to Alaska was just cancelled by Princess.  We went ahead and rebooked the same cruise for May 19, 2021, and opted for a balcony cabin.  I watched the 2020 pricing for the Alaska balconies and found it to be higher than our 2021 balcony price so I went ahead and booked it. 

While I am not one who needs a balcony - I think I will be getting a balcony in the future for obvious reasons.

Glad you were able to get rebooked.

Edited by Coral
  • Like 1

Seems predictable that prices will rise for future bookings, unfortunately. We took our FCC for a July cruise the day before final payment due two weeks ago.  Reality is, we won't ever use the FCC, simply won't be rebooking the Med cruise as this was a one off trip, based on family timing for my teenage kids and we're once every 20 years cruisers anyway.  Forget the fact I have underlying health issues. There have to be thousands of people in same position, and the cruise lines count on this free revenue. Would have preferred my money back given the circumstances as this was in effect a forced cancellation, or better yet, guaranteed the same price for the same class of booking in the next 18 months. Will just write it off as my economic contribution, as well as the $900 private tour of Rome that probably won't be refunded, which I'm fine with waiving given the situation in Italy.

Edited by MaybeOneDay

I sail single, inside cabins, balcony cabins here and there, an upgrade once, other times with a friend.  If I'm going to be trapped in my cabin, a balcony might be nice.

I'm splurging on a cruise, very high price, after canceling my 35 day Enchanted TA + Med.  A 21 day Barcelona RT, chose an obstructed balcony on Lido.  It is port intensive, Royal class ships don't have forward viewing areas of the older ships.  Sailing inside on Emerald or others, I could always get a forward view if I wanted.  I would stay on Plaza, walk up to 7, very easy.

I'm older, alone, no kids, grand kids,  Last few years I'm spending some of my money, I earned it, I'm enjoying myself! 🙂

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Coral said:

While I am not one who needs a balcony - I think I will be getting a balcony in the future for obvious reasons.

Glad you were able to get rebooked.

Thanks Coral, we were happy that we were able to rebook.  Since retirement, we are booking inside cabins.  However, after the disappointment of this year's cancellation of the B2B, we decided that we would treat ourselves in 2021 to a balcony.  Plus, we opted for Princess' Option 1 reimbursement so that will give us extra to use towards the balcony. 

We still have an August Alaska out of Seattle that is still in play.  Probably that will get cancelled as well but we are going to take things day by day and whatever happens, happens. 

Hope you get to cruise again soon; so sorry that you had to give up a beautiful trip.

Lets look at a scenario.  Princess (and other cruise lines) are handing out generous FCCs to 10s of thousands of cruisers who had their cruises cancelled or who have chosen to cancel their own cruise.  Those FCCs must now total in the Billions of dollars and represent a huge future liability to the cruise lines.  While it costs them nothing to give out generous credits, eventually they will need to pay off those IOUs.  So what to do?  Hmmm.  I got an idea!  Why not increase the cost of future cruises so as to diminish the true value of those FCCs.  So, if a cruise that sold for $2000 this year sells for $3000 next year what do you think happens when a cruiser books that cruise using a $1000 FCC?  They actually pay the same price for the cruise that it would have cost them today...with no FCC.  Pretty smart idea.  In fact, it is such a good idea that perhaps the cruise lines are encouraging folks to take FCCs instead of asking for refunds.  Hmmm

Hank,

12 minutes ago, Italy52 said:

Thanks Coral, we were happy that we were able to rebook.  Since retirement, we are booking inside cabins.  However, after the disappointment of this year's cancellation of the B2B, we decided that we would treat ourselves in 2021 to a balcony.  Plus, we opted for Princess' Option 1 reimbursement so that will give us extra to use towards the balcony. 

We still have an August Alaska out of Seattle that is still in play.  Probably that will get cancelled as well but we are going to take things day by day and whatever happens, happens. 

Hope you get to cruise again soon; so sorry that you had to give up a beautiful trip.

What ship did you book?

We booked the Emerald.  We are not big fans of the Seattle round trips but by adding the Emerald itinerary, it would round off our Alaska picks for the season.  Our plan was to get our glacier and whale watching fix by doing the May B2B on the Coral.  In August, we would do the Endicott Arm and Dawes Glacier tour through the ship and then do a bear tour out of Ketchikan. We even got a complimentary balcony upgrade through Princess.

• Like 1

I  agree with Hlitner.  The FCC's are a marketing gag.   They hold on to the cash AND they create a sense of urgency.

Not much different that the 50 percent off mattress sales or the 60 percent off luggage sales.

I would take the cash and shop when we could select the offer, the cruise line, and the timing of our choice.  Not into paying over the odds for anything, especially a cruise.

Edited by iancal