Cancelled May 17th and have new Reservation.

9 minutes ago, JAMESCC said:

Just like this. There are things happening. There are other drugs, there are vaccines already in testing, not even phase 1 testing but phase 2. The dam pessimism here makes me sick. It just makes me sick. The virus thank goodness didn't make me sick yet but the dam pessimism here already has and I'm not talking about pessimism about cruising, I'm talking about overall dark pessimism. 

https://www.statnews.com/2020/04/16/early-peek-at-data-on-gilead-coronavirus-drug-suggests-patients-are-responding-to-treatment/

I was optimistic from mid Jan till Mar 11th.  I had a trip to Asia (Not a cruise.  Was originally a cruise that was cancelled but we cancelled it before Corona became a known problem for other reasons) planned for March and have been dealing with this since then.  

In that time span I have cancelled more cruises, flights, And tours as I tried to stay one step ahead of this virus.  I can count spending countless hours on phones and emails constantly rearranging my travel plans.  I am waving my white flag.  It beat me.  

I was so optimistic I cancelled a cruise on Apr 5, because the price dropped.  So I took the CWC credit that I would use later and rebooked the same cruise at a lower price.  Feel real dumb now.  My optimism died back on Mar 11 when everything came crashing down.  Mar 13th is when the cruise lines started the cancellations, in case you weren’t already dealing with that because you were planning an Asia trip.

Edited by rimmit
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, JAMESCC said:

Just like this. There are things happening. There are other drugs, there are vaccines already in testing, not even phase 1 testing but phase 2. The dam pessimism here makes me sick. It just makes me sick. The virus thank goodness didn't make me sick yet but the dam pessimism here already has and I'm not talking about pessimism about cruising, I'm talking about overall dark pessimism. 

https://www.statnews.com/2020/04/16/early-peek-at-data-on-gilead-coronavirus-drug-suggests-patients-are-responding-to-treatment/

There is a difference between being pessimistic and realistic. I have 4 family members in the front of the line in hospitals in NJ and NYC, according to them treatments aren’t helping. I’m trying to get used to my new normal. My son was supposed to graduate college next month, won’t happen. My 19 year olds college told professors to be ready to teach online in the fall. Unfortunately I’ve been right about this situation since February. It’s hard to be optimistic when my town’s death toll rises daily.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, BND said:

Being optimistic won't change anything, but okay.

And what does pessimism get you? There are good things going on, good people working on solutions but people choose do dwell in the negative.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, JAMESCC said:

This forum is a lost cause. You guys keep on thinking this is the end of the world. 

It’s not the end of the world.  It’s the end of cruising as we know it.  You are extrapolating views were there is no data to support this. No one has said this is the end of the world.

life will move on.  There will be a new “normal” but no one said this is the end of the world.  Not even close.

Edited by rimmit
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, mjkacmom said:

There is a difference between being pessimistic and realistic. I have 4 family members in the front of the line in hospitals in NJ and NYC, according to them treatments aren’t helping. I’m trying to get used to my new normal. My son was supposed to graduate college next month, won’t happen. My 19 year olds college told professors to be ready to teach online in the fall. Unfortunately I’ve been right about this situation since February. It’s hard to be optimistic when my town’s death toll rises daily.

My mother in law is a nurse. 2 people in her nursing home have this, she tested negative so far, thank goodness. She looks like she is going into space on her shifts. 

All I hear or see here is pessimism and negativity. Its not worth my time.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, JAMESCC said:

Actually, as a glass-half-full kinda gal, I think there is a lot to be optimistic about, especially as it relates to the speed with which our medical researchers have begun to develop treatments and eventually a cure.  I think some ships will sail in 2020 but it's a moving target start date.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

Actually, as a glass-half-full kinda gal, I think there is a lot to be optimistic about, especially as it relates to the speed with which our medical researchers have begun to develop treatments and eventually a cure.  I think some ships will sail in 2020 but it's a moving target start date.

A highly effective treatment of an already approved FDA drug is the hail Mary for the cruise industry.  It is the ONLY thing that could possibly get the cruise lines operating before a vaccine.  It would have to be incredibly effective, being significantly more effective than tamiflu  and be able to reduce mortality rates to something along the lines of 1/1000 rather than the 1/100-1/200 they are at right now.  

I truly hope some of these drugs pan out.  Even then,  they typically just mitigate the disease rather Than cure it, but who knows.  I am hopeful,  but it’s not something I’d put money on, but I would gladly lose that bet if I did.  

I am highly optimistic that vaccine can be developed in a year and disseminated to the level of herd immunity in a total of 18 months.  That breaks all known speed records for vaccine so I think that qualifies as optimism.

Edited by rimmit
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, JAMESCC said:

And what does pessimism get you? There are good things going on, good people working on solutions but people choose do dwell in the negative.

I understand your point and for the most part agree, except when it comes to cruise ships 

Cruise ships or cruising, as we know them today, are not equipped to deal with COVID19, at this present time. 

How does one feed 6000 guests plus 1500+ crew while maintaining social distancing? Sit in bars/lounges? Put on shows?

The medical aspects. Cruise ships are not floating hospitals. They are just not equipped to handle COVID19.  Probably not as good as a land based Urgent Clinic. No ICU, no ventilators. Typically a large cruise ship has ONE Doctor and a few nurses on staff. These Doctors normally are General MD’s. Some are a bit more advanced. The CDC is concerned, as are many people like me, what if they have a case onboard? As has been seen, it can spread quickly. Ships can’t come back into ports and then dump a 1000 or more sick people into the local cities/hospitals. 

Most Restaurants on. land will survive but they will not be what they once were.  I am negative in that I don’t think Royal can survive as they are today based on their cash on hand unless they do something??  Get a large investor or file for protection. The ships are not all sinking at one time. If they file, which to me is more likely, they will come out a different company. Some things will remain the same and some not. In my opinion only, there will be a revamped C&A program. 

The above comments are mine. I am typically a glass half full guy. 

M8

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, JAMESCC said:

My mother in law is a nurse. 2 people in her nursing home have this, she tested negative so far, thank goodness. She looks like she is going into space on her shifts. 

All I hear or see here is pessimism and negativity. Its not worth my time.

What you're hearing is a rational assessment of today's cruising reality. What you want is sunshine and roses. We all want that. It seems that everyone other than you can process both concepts simultaneously.

Edited by orville99
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, JAMESCC said:

Everyone please educate yourselves. I know its hard to see but by June this virus is down to nothing. In NJ by May its down to nothing. Check your state here.

https://covid19.healthdata.org/united-states-of-america

100 U.S. deaths per day on June 1 with a total U.S. cost of life projected to be 68,000 by June 1 is hardly "down to nothing", and also this projection is based on full social distancing and most business being shut down ALL through May, which is already not happening.

2 hours ago, JAMESCC said:

It means what we are doing is working, infections are falling and deaths are falling. Its all you can by at the moment. It means the hospitals are not overwhelmed and that is good news. 

We had a record number of deaths in the U.S. yesterday-over 4500 people died.  You really need to look at the charts better

10 hours ago, DISFANS3 said:

We just cancelled our May 17th Harmony, and have new reservation for Sept 6th on the Harmony. If Harmony goes to sea we will be on it... Took 15 min on phone no problem... 

Are you happy with that dumb move? lol

I come back on 2 hours later and my opinion is still the same. This forum and discussion is a waste of time. No one can see 2 feet in front of them, its just the here and now. Things change fast. Waste of time dealing with the pessimism and negativity. 

25 minutes ago, JAMESCC said:

I come back on 2 hours later and my opinion is still the same. This forum and discussion is a waste of time. No one can see 2 feet in front of them, its just the here and now. Things change fast. Waste of time dealing with the pessimism and negativity. 

Why did you come back?  

People are just being realistic.  Unfortunately the state of things right now isn’t great, and isn’t going to magically improve because you believe it will.  Look at any other country.  No country is immune to this.  Some have had a little better results than others, but as whole it’s all about the same.  What makes you think we are any different?

Edited by rimmit
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, rimmit said:

Why did you come back?  

People are just being realistic.  Unfortunately the state of things right now isn’t great, and isn’t going to magically improve because you believe it will.  Look at any other country.  No country is immune to this.  Some have had a little better results than others, but as whole it’s all about the same.  What makes you think we are any different?

I came back to see people running around with their hair on fire. This was and is a VERY serious thing. There are good things going on, great research, drugs being tested, scientists are working vaccines all over the world. Progress is being made. The numbers are as they say "flattening" and beginning to fall. I just don't see enough or any one talking about those things. There is an in between this is "nothing" and its "the end of the world". That is all I'm saying.

I took this very seriously when nuts at work were calling it a hoax, or it was the common cold, and they laughed, "its 20 cases in NJ". And then I would say, I'm not saying its the plague but its not "nothing" Just a month later they were proven wrong. Lets just try to stay realistic, but also positive, We, as in WE all will get through this. Lets get these numbers down even more by doing what we are doing. 

We also made a ton of mistakes unfortunately. Testing being one, and that unfortunately continues. There should be mass testing of all types in high school gyms that are empty at the moment. I'm not a scientist, I'm a big dummy truck driver but testing seems to be the key here based on what Dr. Fauci and other docs and scientist say. 

An article I read on cruising for Carnival is that when they do start to cruise again, it will be with reduced passengers. Only rooms that will be occupied are rooms that have access to fresh air. Those rooms will be every other room. That will leave out interior and oceanview rooms as well. If that is the case, you are looking at a maximum of 50% capacity. No one knows for sure, but time will tell.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, bigrednole said:

An article I read on cruising for Carnival is that when they do start to cruise again, it will be with reduced passengers. Only rooms that will be occupied are rooms that have access to fresh air. Those rooms will be every other room. That will leave out interior and oceanview rooms as well. If that is the case, you are looking at a maximum of 50% capacity. No one knows for sure, but time will tell.

Aside from the business part, profits part, man that sounds great for the passengers. Man, imagine being on Oasis class ships or Quantum class with half the passengers? Woo Hoo good for the passengers on those cruises. 

7 hours ago, JAMESCC said:

Ha so funny, Oasis May 10 cancelled a few weeks ago, new booking for Sept 6th on Oasis. Did not put out 1 dollar from my pocket. Its a long hold till FCC is issued, then will convert to a full booking. The price we got for a Central Park balcony is just sick. TA took care of everything. I wish I could post the price because its insane.

By the way I booked the cruise with 15 minutes of the other getting cancelled. TA took care of everything. No pain on my end.

Any idea when Osais will be repositioning to Cape Liberty? I'm guessing it will sail empty because I can't find a sailing from Florida to Cape Liberty. 

1 hour ago, JAMESCC said:

I came back to see people running around with their hair on fire. This was and is a VERY serious thing. There are good things going on, great research, drugs being tested, scientists are working vaccines all over the world. Progress is being made. The numbers are as they say "flattening" and beginning to fall. I just don't see enough or any one talking about those things. There is an in between this is "nothing" and its "the end of the world". That is all I'm saying.

I took this very seriously when nuts at work were calling it a hoax, or it was the common cold, and they laughed, "its 20 cases in NJ". And then I would say, I'm not saying its the plague but its not "nothing" Just a month later they were proven wrong. Lets just try to stay realistic, but also positive, We, as in WE all will get through this. Lets get these numbers down even more by doing what we are doing. 

We also made a ton of mistakes unfortunately. Testing being one, and that unfortunately continues. There should be mass testing of all types in high school gyms that are empty at the moment. I'm not a scientist, I'm a big dummy truck driver but testing seems to be the key here based on what Dr. Fauci and other docs and scientist say. 

We never had enough tests.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, mjkacmom said:

Thank your family members. At this point they probably couldn't be on the front line in a worse place.

3 hours ago, JAMESCC said:

You keep saying that.  Yet you keep coming back.  And you keep posting. 😏

54 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

Any idea when Osais will be repositioning to Cape Liberty? I'm guessing it will sail empty because I can't find a sailing from Florida to Cape Liberty. 

Both the northbound and southbound repos are non-revenue - were scheduled early May and late Oct.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, JAMESCC said:

Ok back to the original posting. I'm leaving the rest in the dust. Glad you have a new sail date, same date as mine and I am confident we will both be sailing off into the sunset. 

I agree.  I have 2 booked for the end of June that I hope won't get canceled.  Also have cruises for Aug/Sept/Oct/Nov/Dec and am really hoping that we get to go on all of them.  Positive thinking!!!

• Like 1