Princess at Home Health and Safety Update Email

ew101

I just got an email from Princess, campaign PF0MS080- here is a URL I found- the one I got was personalized to me    There are three smiling onboard crew photos- including the medical department- none are wearing masks.  Does anyone else find this bizarre and surreal?   Princess today rules the global public health doghouse.  The last time I checked COVID-19 spreads via droplets to receptors in your throat.  The message to me is they have no idea what they are doing.  

https://milled.com/princess-cruises/important-health-and-safety-updates-inside-wE8j4nOtQkZ8k537

princess4.jpg

Princess3.jpg

princess2.jpg

Edited by ew101
fix typo

I understand your concern but ... OTOH, wearing masks shows there's something to worry about. While it may be true there is something to worry about, the Marketing Dept doesn't want you to think there is.

• Like 9

I got the same email, but from Princess. Maybe the OP's came from a T/A.

reply-to: Princess Cruises <support@em.princess.com

I am not really seeing anything new, other than checking temperature at boarding and may have to go through a second

screening. 

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, RocketMan275 said:

If you read the attachment (I received it last night too) one will discover their is no mention of age related measures.

No, but if you click the “Learn More” button, it does say that passengers or crew with chronic, severe underlying conditions will not be allowed to embark.

Just now, Babr said:

No, but if you click the “Learn More” button, it does say that passengers or crew with chronic, severe underlying conditions will not be allowed to embark.

And as CLIA embers they take guidance from CDC.  CDC states the guidance applies to those 65 and over with chronic (long term) afflictions.

Babr,   the email I received states; if you have a chronic or underlying health condition to contact Princess.  Does not say you will be denied boarding;  it says you may be denied boarding;  that is why they want you to call them.  They are trying to keep people from showing up and being denied boarding.  If you have a chronic condition call Princess.  Their medical staff will look at what your condition is and decide if you should continue to go on this cruise; or they will tell you that it may not be good for you to go on cruise.  I think it's in best interest for passengers to be pro active and contact Princess to let them and the medical staff know in advance if their will be any medical issues; which could preclude you boarding the ship.  Makes total sense to me.  

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, AF-1 said:

Babr,   the email I received states; if you have a chronic or underlying health condition to contact Princess.  Does not say you will be denied boarding;  it says you may be denied boarding;  that is why they want you to call them.  They are trying to keep people from showing up and being denied boarding.  If you have a chronic condition call Princess.  Their medical staff will look at what your condition is and decide if you should continue to go on this cruise; or they will tell you that it may not be good for you to go on cruise.  I think it's in best interest for passengers to be pro active and contact Princess to let them and the medical staff know in advance if their will be any medical issues; which could preclude you boarding the ship.  Makes total sense to me.  

I'm not being nit picky, but you left out one word that I think makes a world of difference.  The actual standard is "If you have an underlying severe chronic medical condition."  Obviously, there is a difference between a headache and a severe headache.  If I just had a garden variety headache, I'd tough it out.  If I had a SEVERE headache, you'd find me at the nearest hospital emergency department.  I think that's the case here.  I think people who have CONTROLLED diabetes, controlled asthma or even hypertension or heart disease that is well controlled by medication you should still be able to sail as long as you aren't presenting symptoms at embarkation.  I suspect that anyone who has a chronic condition would just be recommended that they bring onboard a month's supply of their medications.

I've seen a lot of people who got spooked by other lines that want a fit to sail letter which Princess does not require (unless you require dialysis.)  There are many others who have been spooked because they may have a chronic medical condition but it isn't severe.  If Princess were to ban every customer with arthritis, a heart condition, asthma, or diabetes,   there wouldn't be anyone left to sail on their ships.  I don't think this requirement should be a problem for most of us.  And again, as AF-1says you want to make sure you would not be denied boarding at embarkation.

Edited by Daniel A
  • Like 5

DanielA,  agree with your statement.    Someone who has chronic asthma and takes meds; still can have coughing spells.  A passenger who see's this person coughing may report them to the ships staff; not knowing this person is not a health threat to them.  This is why I think Princess is asking people to contact them to discuss their chronic conditions.  

3 minutes ago, AF-1 said:

DanielA,  agree with your statement.    Someone who has chronic asthma and takes meds; still can have coughing spells.  A passenger who see's this person coughing may report them to the ships staff; not knowing this person is not a health threat to them.  This is why I think Princess is asking people to contact them to discuss their chronic conditions.  

That person who is coughing frequently or using a rescue inhaler several times a week would have a severe chronic condition.  If they're coughing during embarkation, that's when Princess says they'll do a secondary screening.  I think most people who get treatment for an underlying chronic condition would know if it is severe.  If they weren't sure, then it would be wise to ask their doctor (not ask for a letter) if their condition is severe and would make sailing unwise.  The doctor may also give advice as to whether or not you would even need to contact Princess at booking.

A concern that I do have is whether or not Princess would be subject to HIPAA confidentiality requirements.  If one were to call Princess and tell them they have asthma, would Princess flag that person's account so that they would always require a more intensive screening before sailing?  Even though, Princess has not requested fit to sail letters, at least one of the other cruise lines that did come out with that requirement wanted the FTS letter dated no more than 7 days before travel.  Would Princess want medical documentation that was very close to embarkation date?

1 hour ago, Daniel A said:

That person who is coughing frequently or using a rescue inhaler several times a week would have a severe chronic condition.  If they're coughing during embarkation, that's when Princess says they'll do a secondary screening.  I think most people who get treatment for an underlying chronic condition would know if it is severe.  If they weren't sure, then it would be wise to ask their doctor (not ask for a letter) if their condition is severe and would make sailing unwise.  The doctor may also give advice as to whether or not you would even need to contact Princess at booking.

A concern that I do have is whether or not Princess would be subject to HIPAA confidentiality requirements.  If one were to call Princess and tell them they have asthma, would Princess flag that person's account so that they would always require a more intensive screening before sailing?  Even though, Princess has not requested fit to sail letters, at least one of the other cruise lines that did come out with that requirement wanted the FTS letter dated no more than 7 days before travel.  Would Princess want medical documentation that was very close to embarkation date?

That is what I was wondering, too. How will this system work?

It depends on self-reporting. Will people be more forthcoming now that we have seen what Covid-19 can do?  Health questionnaires at boarding have not been particularly effective in the past. If you call Princess, how do they determine you can sail? Do they require documentation? Can they do that? Will doctors be willing to provide information? Others on these boards have already reported that their doctors have refused to provide a letter.

This isn’t about me. I don’t have a cruise booked, and my only chronic, underlying condition is age. It isn’t severe yet. I agree that it is probably a bad idea for some people to sail, but how do you do that?

Edited by Babr
  • Like 1

My hubby and I have several underlying conditions and on paper I have 3 that would look troubling. They are all under control. One I have had for 30 years and one 10 years. So I am not crazy about putting these on paper. I guess if the doc was willing to write that all is well enough for a cruise it would not be an issue. I wonder if the Doc would be willing to take on that responsibility?

We have 55 cruises so far with only one incident. 

2 hours ago, Babr said:

B. Travel Restrictions: Guests and crew members meeting certain criteria will be unable to sail. Guests who are unable to sail because of a failure to meet the following criteria will be issued a full cruise credit or refund: 2 I. If you have been in contact with a suspected or confirmed case of COVID-19, or a person under monitoring for COVID-19. II. If you are suffering from a fever or flu-like symptoms prior to embarkation. III. If you have an underlying severe chronic medical condition. The above requirements apply to all guests, crew members, service staff and visitors.

I underlined an important point: These requirements apply to all...

So, they're not singling out passengers on the basis of age.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

B. Travel Restrictions: Guests and crew members meeting certain criteria will be unable to sail. Guests who are unable to sail because of a failure to meet the following criteria will be issued a full cruise credit or refund: 2 I. If you have been in contact with a suspected or confirmed case of COVID-19, or a person under monitoring for COVID-19. II. If you are suffering from a fever or flu-like symptoms prior to embarkation. III. If you have an underlying severe chronic medical condition. The above requirements apply to all guests, crew members, service staff and visitors.

I underlined an important point: These requirements apply to all...

So, they're not singling out passengers on the basis of age.

Not sure why you directed this at me. I did not say anything about age. Just indicated that there would still be restrictions. Illness is not limited to age. If you were concerned about age discrimination, that is not the issue, but I do  have questions about how this will work since it depends on self-reporting and co-operation. Maybe even privacy Issues if people are asked questions about personal health conditions.

Not arguing the point. Just wondering.

Edited by Babr

53 minutes ago, Babr said:

It depends on self-reporting. Will people be more forthcoming now that we have seen what Covid-19 can do?  Health questionnaires at boarding have not been particularly effective in the past. If you call Princess, how do they determine you can sail? Do they require documentation? Can they do that? Will doctors be willing to provide information? Others on these boards have already reported that their doctors have refused to provide a letter.

"Health Screening of All Guests and Crew: Our medical experts are coordinating closely with international health authorities, and together we have developed a written traveler’s health declaration to be completed by all guests and crew prior to boarding. This health declaration screens for COVID-19 and advises guests and crew of their obligation to report any symptoms of illness. Please note: Given the serious nature of these circumstances, false responses on preboarding documents will result in immediate disembarkation at the next opportunity. Individuals who do not disclose symptoms of illness may also face additional legal consequences."

The last sentence implies they are getting serious about people who misrepresent their conditions.

BTW, I'm skeptical about all the reports that their doctor won't sign the letter.

Several of these reports were posted within a couple of hours of that information being disclosed.  Their simply wan't time to consult with their doctors.  Looked very 'knee jerky' to me.  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

BTW, I'm skeptical about all the reports that their doctor won't sign the letter.

Several of these reports were posted within a couple of hours of that information being disclosed.  Their simply wan't time to consult with their doctors.  Looked very 'knee jerky' to me.  

What letter?  Princess doesn't even require one.  Your post indicates there would be a "travelers health declaration to be completed by all guests"  It doesn't mention anything about Doctors signing anything.

5 minutes ago, Daniel A said:

What letter?  Princess doesn't even require one.  Your post indicates there would be a "travelers health declaration to be completed by all guests"  It doesn't mention anything about Doctors signing anything.

I'm sure you've seen the outrage posted in these threads about that letter.

It was my point that there was no mention of the possible letter that had so many upset.

• Like 1

"Some guests and crew will be required to undergo secondary health screenings,

which will be conducted by medical staff in the terminal prior to embarkation".

This is also stated. It sounds like it is modeled after the more in depth TSA

screenings.

Did this email contain anything new than was published on their website over a week ago that has been discussed at length in other threads?  I'm just curious as I didn't get the email and I've received the other feel-good emails that they have published recently.

1 hour ago, azbirdmom said:

Did this email contain anything new than was published on their website over a week ago that has been discussed at length in other threads?  I'm just curious as I didn't get the email and I've received the other feel-good emails that they have published recently.

Same info with a link to the April14 PDF.

• Like 1