Princess at Home Health and Safety Update Email

ew101

13 hours ago, ew101 said:

Chengkp validated recently that generally shipboard passenger cabins do not recirculate air with each other- your cabin has a direct path to a fresh air intake up on deck. 

That's great if you never leave your cabin.

All of the cabins discharge some cabin air into the hallway. And, of course, the main common areas (restaurants, buffet, showroom, etc.) have plenty of people in them along with common air.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, caribill said:

That's great if you never leave your cabin.

All of the cabins discharge some cabin air into the hallway. And, of course, the main common areas (restaurants, buffet, showroom, etc.) have plenty of people in them along with common air.

The last I looked the virus is most readily transmitted via droplets.  These fall to the ground/carpet/floor fairly quickly.  Passing in the hall is a close encounter or can be.  I'm not sure showrooms will be open, dancing etc. is a problem.   I'm not worried about the serving part of buffets much for this virus (don't get me started on Noro)  - we have had a month of grocery shopping and take out food here with limited transmission- but tables for eight are a no.   It might be a grab and go situation.   

6 hours ago, caribill said:

Of course so far Princess has no such form, but one cruise line that does requires the form to be signed within 7 days of the cruise starting. Hard to do that and have up to 4000 passengers mail it in in time for Princess to review the paperwork.

And of course doctors have so much free time to schedule appointments that everyone needing that type of signed letter will be able to get it in that 7 day window. REALITY CHECK!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, caribill said:

But the document does not say if Princess will refund the airfare to the ship and the last minute full fare airfare to return home.

That's what travel insurance is for. Back when we had to self complete the health screening forms at embarkation, Princess would deny boarding to anyone who was ill.  The passenger contract always had a clause that advised in advance that you will be denied boarding if you showed up at embarkation sick.  They also had in that contract strong advice to purchase travel insurance.

12 hours ago, WonderMan3 said:

I followed the link given at the start of this thread and nowhere do I see anything about underlying health conditions. Did they update the page and remove that information?

Good catch!  It certainly appears that they took off the information about anyone with 'an underlying severe chronic condition' from that April 14 document.  There were three bullet points at the top of page two of the April 14 health advisory PDF, now there are only two.  Now they are only saying you will be unable to sail if you meet the following conditions:

"I.   If you have been in contact with a suspected or confirmed case of Covid-19 or a person under monitoring for Covid-19.

II.   If you are suffering from a fever or flu-like symptoms prior to embarkation."

Please note there is no longer anything mentioned about having a severe underlying chronic condition.  I think this change resolves most of the concerns on this and some other threads.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Daniel A said:

Good catch!  It certainly appears that they took off the information about anyone with 'an underlying severe chronic condition' from that April 14 document.  There were three bullet points at the top of page two of the April 14 health advisory PDF, now there are only two.  Now they are only saying you will be unable to sail if you meet the following conditions:

"I.   If you have been in contact with a suspected or confirmed case of Covid-19 or a person under monitoring for Covid-19.

II.   If you are suffering from a fever or flu-like symptoms prior to embarkation."

Please note there is no longer anything mentioned about having a severe underlying chronic condition.  I think this change resolves most of the concerns on this and some other threads.

When I click on “Learn More” on Pre-cruise there is a link to a PDF of the health advisory. The language is there under heading B item 3. I can’t tell if I am looking at old or revised information. 

6 minutes ago, Babr said:

When I click on “Learn More” on Pre-cruise there is a link to a PDF of the health advisory. The language is there under heading B item 3. I can’t tell if I am looking at old or revised information. 

You must be seeing an old version of the April 14 Health Advisory PDF.  I've quadruple checked and there is no longer three items under B, only the two I mentioned.

Try going to Princess.com and click on the link at the top of the page in black for Update - View current Travel & Health Advisories.  On the next page, scroll down to 4/14/2020 "Health and Travel Advisory."  On the next page, click on the link "Health Advisory (PDF)"  At the bottom of page one is the start of Heading B and at the top of page two there are now only two items listed.  I was surprised to see this.  I think it's good news and should be reassuring to many posting on these threads.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Daniel A said:

Who would decide what a severe underlying condition is?   I have a preex condition but don't consider it severe.

2 hours ago, Daniel A said:

You must be seeing an old version of the April 14 Health Advisory PDF.  I've quadruple checked and there is no longer three items under B, only the two I mentioned.

Try going to Princess.com and click on the link at the top of the page in black for Update - View current Travel & Health Advisories.  On the next page, scroll down to 4/14/2020 "Health and Travel Advisory."  On the next page, click on the link "Health Advisory (PDF)"  At the bottom of page one is the start of Heading B and at the top of page two there are now only two items listed.  I was surprised to see this.  I think it's good news and should be reassuring to many posting on these threads.

Here's the link - https://www.princess.com/downloads/pdf/plan/Health-Advisory-and-Travel-Safety-Procedures.pdf

I'm still seeing:

I.  If you have been in contact with a suspected or confirmed case of COVID-19, or a person under monitoring for COVID-19.
II.  If you are suffering from a fever or flu-like symptoms prior to embarkation.
III.  If you have an underlying severe chronic medical condition.

1 minute ago, Thrak said:

I'm still seeing:

I.  If you have been in contact with a suspected or confirmed case of COVID-19, or a person under monitoring for COVID-19.
II.  If you are suffering from a fever or flu-like symptoms prior to embarkation.

Not me.  Here is the April 14 edition with no item III:

https://www.princess.com/downloads/pdf/plan/Health-Advisory-and-Travel-Safety-Procedures.pdf

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Thrak said:

I'm still seeing:

2 minutes ago, Crystabel said:

Check your link. It still has item III. 

I'm not a tekke but my computer(s) are showing the new version of that PDF with only 2 items.  When I was checking the file last week, there were three but now (5th time checking) the PDF only has the two.  The only thing I can think is that you may have a setting that saves the older PDF somewhere and when you try to pull up that PDF it keeps showing the older one stored in your computer's memory.  I know there is a feature that speeds up downloads of web pages by saving them but I don't know how to clear that.  I think it's called the cache and if you can figure out how to clear the cache, you should be able to download the new, revised PDF.  I have a cleaner program that clears the cache each time I shut down.  I hope this helps.

• Like 2

Tried on MAC Chrome and iPad Safari and both show III. d9704011, when I click on your link it also shows III. I don’t understand why it’s different than what you see. BTW I rarely use the MAC desktop, so I don’t think it is in the cache. Very strange, but I must admit, I’m not as computer literate as a lot of people. 

Edited by Crystabel

7 minutes ago, Crystabel said:

Tried on MAC Chrome and iPad Safari and both show III. d9704011, when I click on your link it also shows III. I don’t understand why it’s different than what you see. BTW I rarely use the MAC desktop, so I don’t think it is in the cache. Very strange, but I must admit, I’m not as computer literate as a lot of people. 

Ghosts in the machine.... Certainly, I cannot explain the difference.

16 minutes ago, Crystabel said:

5 minutes ago, Daniel A said:

Just like Princess, different answers to the same questions.  I'm interested in knowing if it's a problem with Apple Products.  I guess I'll check DW,s iPad.😄

I just checked the PDF on DW's iPad.  The new version of the PDF shows up with only two conditions, not three.

Bottom line......

Princess it saying that cruising is now more dangerous then it was pre-Covid19.  I'll wait until vaccinations & treatments bring the risk back in line with the pre-Covid19 era and Princess relaxes their medical restrictions.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, ew101 said:

The last I looked the virus is most readily transmitted via droplets. 

People emit virus particles in a range of sizes, and some are small enough to be considered aerosols, or fine particles that can stay suspended in the air for hours and can travel with air currents across tens of feet. A study published March 17 in the New England Journal of Medicine found that virus particles that were aerosolized could remain viable for up to 3 hours.

One case study is suggestive however; a choir group in Skagit, Washington, met for a two-hour practice in early March. No one was symptomatic, so singers weren’t coughing or sneezing out infected droplets. And everyone kept their distance. But when all was said and done, 45 people became infected with COVID-19 and at least two people died from the virus, the Los Angeles Times reported. That suggested the viral particles were shed as aerosols by someone, before being inhaled or otherwise acquired by other choir members. A 2019 study in the journal Nature Scientific Reports found that people emit more aerosol particles when talking, and that louder speech volumes correlate to more aerosol particles being emitted. 

https://www.livescience.com/how-covid-19-spreads-transmission-routes.html

On 4/23/2020 at 10:05 AM, ew101 said:

Chengkp validated recently that generally shipboard passenger cabins do not recirculate air with each other- your cabin has a direct path to a fresh air intake up on deck.

They need to figure out how it seemed to spread easily on Diamond and others.  Maybe there is something unexpected in the air system, or perhaps a different issue altogether.