Princess at Home Health and Safety Update Email

ew101

5 hours ago, AF-1 said:

DanielA,  agree with your statement.    Someone who has chronic asthma and takes meds; still can have coughing spells.  A passenger who see's this person coughing may report them to the ships staff; not knowing this person is not a health threat to them.  This is why I think Princess is asking people to contact them to discuss their chronic conditions.  

If you contact them I would hope you would be speaking with a doctor or nurse and not a regular agent.  I would not want to discuss my medical with anyone but a doctor or nurse.  

• Like 1

15 hours ago, ew101 said:

I just got an email from Princess, campaign PF0MS080- here is a URL I found- the one I got was personalized to me    There are three smiling onboard crew photos- including the medical department- none are wearing masks.  Does anyone else find this bizarre and surreal?   Princess today rules the global public health doghouse.  The last time I checked COVID-19 spreads via droplets to receptors in your throat.  The message to me is they have no idea what they are doing.  

https://milled.com/princess-cruises/important-health-and-safety-updates-inside-wE8j4nOtQkZ8k537

RELAX!! It's just a photo.  They don't need to be geared up for a COVID-19 patient.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, trvlwrld said:

Dr note dated no more than 7 days prior to embarkation?  That’s a real problem when you travel prior to sailing...that’s going to be a real problem for many of us!

The cruise line that requires that also said if you were starting your travel more than 7 days before embarkation, the note had to be dated no more than 7 days before the start of travel.

However, there are still problems with this:

a) Can you schedule the doctor appointment for a day within the limited number of days before your cruise (or travel)? Remember that it is unlikely you can do this on a Saturday or a Sunday.

b) If the doctor requires lab tests in order to decide if he/she will sign the form, can the tests be made and the results back in time?

Look at the time line if you are not starting travel more than 7 days before embarkation.

Assume cruise starts on a Saturday and you will arrive at the embarkation city two days before the cruise after an overnight flight. This means you start your travel on Wednesday to arrive Thursday for the Saturday sailing.

Assuming you cannot get the note signed on a weekend, that just leaves the Monday and Tuesday before the cruise to get the letter signed. Good luck with that.

• Like 1

It will be an issue as none of my docs offices even answer the phone anymore! Leave a message-- wait for a call back---get an appointment 3-4 weeks from now! Won't work for a last minute cruise that's for sure. Let's hope the cruise lines drop the letter idea!

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Babr said:

No, but if you click the “Learn More” button, it does say that passengers or crew with chronic, severe underlying conditions will not be allowed to embark.

I have pushed learn more button on the link at the start of thread and this what it says copied and pasted as best I could.

Enhancing Health Requirements

We will deny boarding to guests and crew if they:

• Have been in contact with a suspected or confirmed case of COVID-19 or a person being monitored for COVID-19.
  • Are suffering from a fever or flu-like symptoms prior to embarkation.

Stepping Up Screenings

At embarkation, we’ll require all guests and crew to participate in mandatory health screenings, which may include a thermal scan to check temperatures, and in some cases secondary screenings. Depending on the results, we will deny certain individuals boarding if we feel they could pose a risk to others.

So what does that mean to an 82 year old with type 2 diabetes none injecting who is 5000 miles away from home in UK with no return flight out of the USA for 7 or 8 days? And no way of booking one because we don't have smart or internet enabled phones, the part of UK we live in does not have good wifi whatever. And he can produce a docs note if needed to do I imagine?

Edited by ace2542

CUontheC;  .  I assume Princess will have you send in medical forms listing any and all chronic conditions and their medical team will review the paperwork.  Depending on what the actual conditions are; they may decide that you will not be allowed to board the ship; so stay home and we will refund your deposit.  Personally I think they are looking for how you can infect some other passenger.  Some one who has diabetes, asthma, does not infect another passenger with their diabetes or asthma.  However, these said persons would have a harder time getting the immune system to fight any type of outbreak on the ship.  Maybe that is what Princess is worried about.  I have no idea what they are looking for.  Guess we wait and see how things shake out. Not going to lose sleep over it or try and second guess their requirements.  

Again - Princess has not and is not requiring a Doctor's note/letter.  The actual health requirements have been posted here ad infinitum.  If your worries surround health screening requirements of other cruise lines, don't sail with them.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, AF-1 said:

Danial A,  I just posted in another thread and said some people may choose a cruise line who has the easiest requirements for boarding. 

Yes, I think so too. 
what becomes of their Princess FCC?  I do not believe they will give them cash, do you?

2 minutes ago, AF-1 said:

Danial A,  I just posted in another thread and said some people may choose a cruise line who has the easiest requirements for boarding. 

People keep posting information on this Princess Forum that doesn't even apply to Princess.  Other People read these posts and take it as gospel that what they're posting applies to Princess.  It's unfortunate but there are some people who think if it's on the internet it must be true...

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Daniel A said:

People keep posting information on this Princess Forum that doesn't even apply to Princess.  Other People read these posts and take it as gospel that what they're posting applies to Princess.  It's unfortunate but there are some people who think if it's on the internet it must be true...

Yes. No point in trying to say, wait and see. My next cruise is spring of 2021. I will wait and see if anyone who sails before me says they were denied boarding at the pier or required to submit a doctor’s note etc for Princess cruise. 

3 minutes ago, dog said:

Yes, I think so too. 
what becomes of their Princess FCC?  I do not believe they will give them cash, do you?

I think that the new Princess Health Screening document states that if you are denied boarding due to health reasons, the passenger (and I believe their party) would be eligible for FCCs or a refund.  So, you might need to book a cruise, get denied, and request a refund.  Two caveats however:  Make sure you try to book a cruise that you want to take.  Just in case you don't get denied boarding.  I wouldn't make claims on the phone with Princess so you would ensure being denied boarding.  I think Princess may well keep that information to look at for further bookings.

dog I believe once the ships get back to running again; we will see people denied boarding for different medical reasons.  At least in the first year their guard will be up as they don't want to make a mistake.  Will be fun to see what shakes out

Edited by AF-1
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, ace2542 said:

We will deny boarding to guests and crew if they:

• Have been in contact with a suspected or confirmed case of COVID-19 or a person being monitored for COVID-19.
  • Are suffering from a fever or flu-like symptoms prior to embarkation.

Occurs to me reading the above, it might be a good idea to self-isolate for about 2 weeks prior to heading off for an important cruise just to try and avoid the above.

• Like 1

The new health guidelines are a good start but they won't totally protect passengers and crew. Because this virus is airborne, how will the ships adapt to this. re, ventilation HVAC systems. Passengers may pass the pre-board screening process and still pass on virus via cabins unless HVAC systems are upgraded. A total measured response and action is needed for cruising in safety. 

2 hours ago, Sunwanabe said:

The new health guidelines are a good start but they won't totally protect passengers and crew. Because this virus is airborne, how will the ships adapt to this. re, ventilation HVAC systems. Passengers may pass the pre-board screening process and still pass on virus via cabins unless HVAC systems are upgraded. A total measured response and action is needed for cruising in safety. 

Chengkp validated recently that generally shipboard passenger cabins do not recirculate air with each other- your cabin has a direct path to a fresh air intake up on deck.  I have seen them up behind the lifeboats on our walks on classic ships.   This follows my experience  - I have never smelled the pizza delivered next door but do detect paint fumes from the big intakes on the decks outside when they are painting.  

Edited by ew101

10 hours ago, gmjc2 said:

It will be an issue as none of my docs offices even answer the phone anymore! Leave a message-- wait for a call back---get an appointment 3-4 weeks from now! Won't work for a last minute cruise that's for sure. Let's hope the cruise lines drop the letter idea!

Do any of the cruise lines requiring a letter with that 7 day window realize that doctors have more important things to do these days than to cater to cruise line arbitrary regulations?

And yes I know that at least at this time Princess is not one of those lines.

On 4/22/2020 at 11:24 AM, bluesea321 said:

Maybe this will help explain:

"Princess Cruises Details New Health Guidelines"

https://www.cruisecritic.com/news/5301/

Thanks for posting this. I saw it on the Celebrity CC forum and thought Princess was heading in the right direction to begin making their ships a much healthier environment to cruise. I'm sure there will be more to come with regards to dealing with crowd situations, such as checking in on embarkation day, muster drills, attending evening shows and queuing for excursions in predesignated public areas. But I'm sure those adjustments will be addressed before the cruises start up again.

16 hours ago, AF-1 said:

CUontheC;  .  I assume Princess will have you send in medical forms listing any and all chronic conditions and their medical team will review the paperwork.  Depending on what the actual conditions are; they may decide that you will not be allowed to board the ship; so stay home and we will refund your deposit.

Of course so far Princess has no such form, but one cruise line that does requires the form to be signed within 7 days of the cruise starting. Hard to do that and have up to 4000 passengers mail it in in time for Princess to review the paperwork.

16 hours ago, Daniel A said:

I think that the new Princess Health Screening document states that if you are denied boarding due to health reasons, the passenger (and I believe their party) would be eligible for FCCs or a refund. 

But the document does not say if Princess will refund the airfare to the ship and the last minute full fare airfare to return home.

15 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

Occurs to me reading the above, it might be a good idea to self-isolate for about 2 weeks prior to heading off for an important cruise just to try and avoid the above.

The trip from home to ship can give multiple opportunities to become infected, wiping out any benefit of the self-isolation.