Stopped sailing 5 weeks and just moving crew home.

crazycruzer68

13 minutes ago, sc4125 said:

My daughter still keeps in touch with numerous crewmembers that she worked with on the Glory a few years ago.  She has heard from several of them (most from the Entertainment Staff including 2 CD's) that they are not scheduled to return to their ships until the end of July at the earliest.

Which happens to coincide with the CDC order ending (July 24th). So that makes sense.

32 minutes ago, sc4125 said:

My daughter still keeps in touch with numerous crewmembers that she worked with on the Glory a few years ago.  She has heard from several of them (most from the Entertainment Staff including 2 CD's) that they are not scheduled to return to their ships until the end of July at the earliest.

Any of them assigned to the Magic ? 

Wondering if any cruise lines would contemplate a return to years past where they staffed ships with people from Caribbean islands? Would certainly help with logistics, perhaps a 6-month contract to get some ships sailing? Or is that just crazy talk?

On 4/23/2020 at 8:48 PM, firefly333 said:

I've seen all the ports and prefer sea days. I dont care myself where the ship goes and more obc ... bring it on. I know we gotta stop at least one port. If this cruise gets cancelled I'll add it to the 3 rcl next year.

I plan on cruising, whenever it is.

You haven't been to all the cruise ports. London, Barcelona, Rome, Greenland,  Iceland, Shetland Islands, Berlin, Estonia, Alaska, Canada, etc?????

There are a ton of Carnival ports outside of the Caribbean. 

19 hours ago, lbtnewcruiser said:

I'm booked for 7/4 since last year and I'm fine not to sail, I just made the mistake of booking non refundable and don't want to lose my $ by me canceling instead of Carnival, waiting on an update ......

I am in a different situation. I booked two cruises in 2021 with gift cards. First one is February. It is all refundable but if I cancel I get gift cards back which will do me no good if I decide that I no longer want to sail, or if the cruise line has health/age restrictions that one of us cannot pass.

I have a Horizon cruise booked for January that I purchased a year ago but now I have my doubts that it will sail.  Here's how I see it.   Carnival continues to sell cruises while sending some crew members home and cancelling current cruises.   While this is happening, the state of Georgia has opened the state for business while others are contemplating doing the same in the next few weeks.   Florida today says we had a major increase in  the daily count of the virus.  Then they announced that the figure may be exaggerated since they made some errors in the past and corrected it with the latest number.  So we either went up or went down.  Take your pick.   You may not be able to cruise because of close quarters but malls, stores, hotels, motels, barber shops, air planes, etc may be available.  Expect a second bout with the virus  ...............  maybe and then again, maybe not .  If you are 70 or older, you may not be able to sail.  Many doctors say they can't comment if a letter is required.  I have $1,300 in Carnival gift cards.   What if we can't sail?  How do you sit 6 feet apart at the dining table?  Do I have to wear a mask for the entire cruise?  Will the cruise insurance cover a problem concerning the virus?  

There are more concerns but I think you get the point ................ points.  This would be my 24th Carnival cruise and I never expected to ever see any thing like this.  Would be funny if I get called back to my part time job in a store but could not cruise because it could be dangerous.   Oh well, I am still maintaining my 2 1/2 inch cruise binder and am looking at excursions assuming there are any if there are ports that would let us visit.

I bet you are glad I got this all cleared up!

I doubt that there will be cruises this year. Our state governor has locked down our state until June 10th. Whenever we start "phase one" of reopening, we will still have limited businesses open and teleworking will continue. Phase one is expected to last for TWO YEARS or until there is widespread testing, treatment, and/or vaccine available. Sadly, international travel isn't going to resume anytime soon and even if it does, the other nations will likely not want us there. The US has around 1/3 of cases worldwide. Just like nations banned travel from China, I don't think we are far behind that.

Disclaimer, this is just my opinion based on my state's expected road to recovery and various articles I've been reading. I am not an expert by any means. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

I understand your point, but if Carnival is pretty much sending all their crew members home with the exception of officers and support crew members needed to sail the ship, I think that is a very clear indication Carnival isn’t resuming operations any time soon. While I agree with your point that at some point in the distant future they are likely to resume operations with reduced passengers and crew members, they can’t support a cruise without any crew members. 

What does distant mean?

15 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

What does distant mean?

Any time between now and 2021.😊

I have believed for awhile now that cruising won’t resume until 2021 based on numerous things I have heard and read. 

However, last night I heard/watched something interesting during a local news broadcast. They showed an interview with Captain John Murray, who is the CEO of Port Canaveral. He stated they are preparing for cruises to resume in July. He said there would only be short cruises initially that only went to private islands. He also said something along the lines that if you boarded a ship on a Friday and returned on Monday and still felt fine, that would slowly build confidence in being able to cruise safely. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, cruizergal70 said:

You haven't been to all the cruise ports. London, Barcelona, Rome, Greenland,  Iceland, Shetland Islands, Berlin, Estonia, Alaska, Canada, etc?????

So excuse me for not being precise. I only wish to go out of Galveston, and only have partial panama left on my list. I'm done flying, in fact I'm not even doing to 10 hour drive to new orleans to save money. 

But I lived in hawaii for 10 years and cruised there and alaska you mentioned, but Europe is not among possible ports. My parents are 94 and 101 and I dont go where I cant get home fast in a emergency.

My post should have read I have been to all the ports I can reach from Galveston except panama which is iffy because of my folks and I cruise solo and dont want to pay double, so bring on the cruises with one private island, I dont care about ports.

It wouldnt take long to bring them back to work. These huge companies will purchase them airline tickets and just bring them on board in no time. And be sure, all of them will go through a check before boarding. I applaud to those men and women who are working on board those ships. They are risking their life and still serving their guests the best they can   

1 hour ago, richfret said:

I have a Horizon cruise booked for January that I purchased a year ago but now I have my doubts that it will sail.  Here's how I see it.   Carnival continues to sell cruises while sending some crew members home and cancelling current cruises.   While this is happening, the state of Georgia has opened the state for business while others are contemplating doing the same in the next few weeks.   Florida today says we had a major increase in  the daily count of the virus.  Then they announced that the figure may be exaggerated since they made some errors in the past and corrected it with the latest number.  So we either went up or went down.  Take your pick.   You may not be able to cruise because of close quarters but malls, stores, hotels, motels, barber shops, air planes, etc may be available.  Expect a second bout with the virus  ...............  maybe and then again, maybe not .  If you are 70 or older, you may not be able to sail.  Many doctors say they can't comment if a letter is required.  I have $1,300 in Carnival gift cards.   What if we can't sail?  How do you sit 6 feet apart at the dining table?  Do I have to wear a mask for the entire cruise?  Will the cruise insurance cover a problem concerning the virus?  

There are more concerns but I think you get the point ................ points.  This would be my 24th Carnival cruise and I never expected to ever see any thing like this.  Would be funny if I get called back to my part time job in a store but could not cruise because it could be dangerous.   Oh well, I am still maintaining my 2 1/2 inch cruise binder and am looking at excursions assuming there are any if there are ports that would let us visit.

I bet you are glad I got this all cleared up!

And how do you social distance on the elevators.  I've been in some after shows or the drill where you could barely have room to breathe.

4 hours ago, cruizergal70 said:

While there are many, the vast majority of Carnival ships sail to Caribbean ports.  

1 hour ago, sgacruiser said:

And how do you social distance on the elevators.  I've been in some after shows or the drill where you could barely have room to breathe.

We currently have cove balconies booked for our Feb and Sept 2021 cruises. We prefer those balconies but will be calling to move to Deck 7 balconies instead. Plan is to not use elevators but to use the stairs to get around. Better for the health and more of an opportunity to social distance. two flights down to 5, 3 up to the Lido deck

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bevv said:

We currently have cove balconies booked for our Feb and Sept 2021 cruises. We prefer those balconies but will be calling to move to Deck 7 balconies instead. Plan is to not use elevators but to use the stairs to get around. Better for the health and more of an opportunity to social distance. two flights down to 5, 3 up to the Lido deck

Seems like the obvious answer and it never occurred to me to do that! 

I don’t get it.  Why are people planning on cruises a month or 2 or even for that matter December cruises?  I hope if you are planning a cruise, let’s say July, that the ports you are going to will even be open.  You need to research the ports you are going to, to know when things are going back to what we once called “normal”.  I don’t think they, the ports, will be and you’ll be stuck on the ship with a $25.00 cruise credit for missing the port stop.  I was just looking at rebooking my May Panorama cruise for 2022, however I’m hearing that this Coronavirus will rear its ugly head again this Winter, thus, rendering all transportation and borders shut down once again.  I hope for those who have booked cruises this year come back and keep us posted.  I know all of us here want to get back to our favorite way of vacationing which is cruising, I surely do.  I’m starting to get depressed about this whole thing as you can possibly tell in how I’m responding.  I’m all over the place with this and how it’s going to affect our future cruises.  I hope you all who are making your plans for this year will be able to sail.  Once again, please keep us who are undecided to book posted.  This is really the only place to get true information rather than fake news sites.  Ok, I’m done.  I need my drink of the day 😚.  

18 hours ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

Any time between now and 2021.😊

I have believed for awhile now that cruising won’t resume until 2021 based on numerous things I have heard and read. 

However, last night I heard/watched something interesting during a local news broadcast. They showed an interview with Captain John Murray, who is the CEO of Port Canaveral. He stated they are preparing for cruises to resume in July. He said there would only be short cruises initially that only went to private islands. He also said something along the lines that if you boarded a ship on a Friday and returned on Monday and still felt fine, that would slowly build confidence in being able to cruise safely. 

There are two flaws in that statement from what I've read and heard on the news.  

1.  You could be a carrier and not know it.

2.  It takes up to two weeks to show if you do have it.

3 hours ago, RWolver672 said:

There are two flaws in that statement from what I've read and heard on the news.  

The cruise industry is no different than the country.   When this subsides, your actions should be proportionate. There is no smoke and mirrors involved.  If the country relaxes requirements for people to interact, it should apply to cruises.  Pretty simple actually.  The nonsense about Petri dishes is a non issue made up by short sighted and misguided.   

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, richfret said:

You do it the same way you do it in hotels and any other 3 story building with an elevator.  If you shut them all down, then I will agree with you.

The industry has been singled out since this broke out, it was easy to do and the titillating stories and pics were easy news.  But past is past, when the country opens, cruising should open.  Period.

4 hours ago, RWolver672 said:

I was texting with a friend last night who watched the same news broadcast (we live in the Tampa area). We both think that if you limit cruises to 3-4 days and medically screen everyone during embarkation, the chances of anyone showing symptoms/getting sick on the cruise are pretty low based on what we know about the virus, which includes the points you mentioned.

I also think the cruise line would have you sign some kind of waiver protecting the cruise line or add something to the cruise contract to protect the cruise line for any kind of illness related to the cruise. If people get sick after the cruise, at least they will have access to medical care beyond what a ship could provide. 

I am still of the belief cruising will resume later than sooner, but this was the first time I heard someone in the industry give some specifics about when cruising will resume. 

Edited by PhillyFan33579