NCLH Restructuring, Cost Cutting

Classiccruiser777

1 hour ago, AdoraBelle said:

Is this any way to coordinate a pandemic in a country?

I would like to know if anyone can document anything like this happening anywhere else in the world?

Edited by Paulchili
  • Like 1

All I can say is how thankful I am to be a Canadian. Our COVID 19 response (albeit not perfect) has been driven by science and our Medical Officers (majority are women) supported by our politicians. Our government has stood united in combating this virus and the political games will resume later.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 4/28/2020 at 10:55 PM, Paulchili said:

There was a time when there was such a thing as loyal O cruiser - as old as he/she may have been. Times have changed - these days there are more ex-Princesss, X, HAL etc cruisers coming over to O - a whole new younger crowd.

I am 57 and DW is 51, one O cruise under our belt and we are hooked.  Good bye to RCL and CCL. Guess we just out grew them.

Edited by JKrise
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, Paulchili said:

Is this any way to coordinate a pandemic in a country?

I would like to know if anyone can document anything like this happening anywhere else in the world?

I don't know of a similar case, but you could be in Canada where stuff is an absolute train wreck.

We're short masks because we don't make them, and we don't try to enforce contracts from other countries because those countries might need the masks someday. The government is more concerned about formulating regulations to seize guns. Our scientists aren't chosen based on knowledge, but on their "diversity" and political stripe. Basically they're told to parrot whatever WHO says. The government focuses on death count (3,300 is what it is...can argue it should be more or less) but can't address the overflowing shelters for abused women and children. In my province, since the lockdown started, three times as many kids have been taken into care as last year.

Ordinary problems, like travel for business or leisure (airplanes, cruising) go unaddressed because we can't sort out the movement of cargo, specifically food. There's no medium-term plan because there's short term chaos. I live 100 yards from our cruise port and some of the now-ex-employees there think we'll be able to just flip a switch and the cruise ships will come next week. They don't seem to understand that people buy cruises months in advance and that our season (typically 200K pax in autumn, with a HAL ship once a week all summer and the occasional Cunard) is under threat. It's just so sad because these people aren't making plans for when the pandemic/unemploment money runs out.

I wish our provincial government had masks to hoard! We have 300 virus cases at a nursing home complex and 23 deaths there, and nowhere to evacuate some of the people who haven't caught the virus yet. Some have moved to a hotel. Some are with family. The more infirm are stuck there, waiting to get sick. At least some US governors are doing what they can. Our national government is in charge, and is mostly making sure its "diversity" is highlighted.

8 hours ago, LJRVancouver said:

All I can say is how thankful I am to be a Canadian. Our COVID 19 response (albeit not perfect) has been driven by science and our Medical Officers (majority are women) supported by our politicians. Our government has stood united in combating this virus and the political games will resume later.

If we want/need to move to Canada later this year, can you vouch for us? 

4 minutes ago, clo said:

If we want/need to move to Canada later this year, can you vouch for us? 

just  claim refugee  status   they will let you in 😎

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, clo said:

What we in the US call "flyover states." I should visit them some time...but I'd rather go to Canada.

sorry I have been couped up too long 

what does  that mean ? A State  where no one wants to visit  ? 

4 minutes ago, clo said:

What we in the US call "flyover states." I should visit them some time...but I'd rather go to Canada.

It's ok, you don't have to come. Canada needs you. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Shawnino said:

I don't know of a similar case, but you could be in Canada where stuff is an absolute train wreck.

We're short masks because we don't make them, and we don't try to enforce contracts from other countries because those countries might need the masks someday. The government is more concerned about formulating regulations to seize guns. Our scientists aren't chosen based on knowledge, but on their "diversity" and political stripe. Basically they're told to parrot whatever WHO says. The government focuses on death count (3,300 is what it is...can argue it should be more or less) but can't address the overflowing shelters for abused women and children. In my province, since the lockdown started, three times as many kids have been taken into care as last year.

Ordinary problems, like travel for business or leisure (airplanes, cruising) go unaddressed because we can't sort out the movement of cargo, specifically food. There's no medium-term plan because there's short term chaos. I live 100 yards from our cruise port and some of the now-ex-employees there think we'll be able to just flip a switch and the cruise ships will come next week. They don't seem to understand that people buy cruises months in advance and that our season (typically 200K pax in autumn, with a HAL ship once a week all summer and the occasional Cunard) is under threat. It's just so sad because these people aren't making plans for when the pandemic/unemploment money runs out.

I wish our provincial government had masks to hoard! We have 300 virus cases at a nursing home complex and 23 deaths there, and nowhere to evacuate some of the people who haven't caught the virus yet. Some have moved to a hotel. Some are with family. The more infirm are stuck there, waiting to get sick. At least some US governors are doing what they can. Our national government is in charge, and is mostly making sure its "diversity" is highlighted.

9 hours ago, LJRVancouver said:

As has been stated, it's hard to believe you're in the same country. But then again the same can be said for the divisions we have here. It's like some people live in a completely different universe. I think a lot of it is where people get their information from. 

5 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

sorry I have been couped up too long 

what does  that mean ? A State  where no one wants to visit  ? 

Okay Lyn, look at a US map, I live in Missouri, it don't get much more fly over than this. 

It's actually a put down by people that live on the east and west coasts. We really are ok with a lot of people thinking it's not worth stopping at. 

20 minutes ago, ORV said:

Okay Lyn, look at a US map, I live in Missouri, it don't get much more fly over than this. 

It's actually a put down by people that live on the east and west coasts. We really are ok with a lot of people thinking it's not worth stopping at. 

Ok Thanks Orv

but to say Ontario  Canada is a fly over place  ..Toronto is very well visited by tourists  @ 27.5 million a year

i prefer small towns   to large cities  I would visit Missouri  😉

be well

38 minutes ago, Paulchili said:

I can only speak for myself - I will not take a cruise (or a possible related bus ride) until there is an EFFECTIVE vaccine. Period.

Effective like smallpox, or effective like the flu shot?

38 minutes ago, Shawnino said:

I'll take the flu shot. I've been getting the flu shot for many, many years now and have not gotten the flu since getting the vaccine. If I were to get it because of a different strain that year, I am sure it would be a much milder case than without the flu shot.

I'll take those odds.

Edited by Paulchili
  • Like 3

I'm with Paulchili on the flu shot.  I've been getting it every year for the past 12 years and I've gotten the flu once in that time.  DH has been getting the flu shot every year for many years (probably 30 or so) and I cannot remember the last time he had the flu. The flu shot isn't a guarantee but it IS effective.  I hope a vaccine for COVID-19 can be developed that is as effective. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Paulchili said:

I'll take the flu shot. I've been getting the flu shot for many, many years now and have not gotten the flu since getting the vaccine. If I were to get it because of a different strain that year, I am sure it would be a much milder case than without the flu shot.

I'll take those odds.

I am the opposite

I never had the flu shot  & never had the flu since 1976   so  wonder if it is just luck in either case

I may rethink the shot for  Covid  if they have a vaccine for prevention in the future

1 hour ago, Shawnino said:

Are they both  effective?  Just that the flu shot needs to be given every year.  

5 minutes ago, RJB said:

How many cases of smallpox have there been in the USA  lately ??

🙄

10 minutes ago, RJB said:

5 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

How many cases of smallpox have there been in the USA  lately ??

🙄

What I've seen states that the smallpox vaccine is about 95% effective and because virtually everyone has been vaccinated there's "herd immunity", which means it's next to impossible for the infection to spread if someone does catch it.

In the US only about 50% of the population gets the flu vaccine and the vaccine is only about 50% effective because of the educated guessing game that has to take place each year about what strains of flu are going to be predominant during the next flu season in order to have enough time to manufacture the right vaccine...and that educated guessing game doesn't always come up with the right answer. 

So there are a lot of cases of the flu every year, but for the overwhelming percentage of people it's a relatively mild illness with  a low mortality rate...the most vulnerable to serious illness being largely the same group most vulnerable to death fro complications of COVID-19...the elderly and those with underlying serious medical conditions. 

The Federal Maritime Commission requires that cruises scheduled to leave from the US have a bond to cover payments made for cancelled cruises, so any payments made for a US cruise are covered, if not by the cruise line, then by the bonding agent.

5 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

The Federal Maritime Commission requires that cruises scheduled to leave from the US have a bond to cover payments made for cancelled cruises, so any payments made for a US cruise are covered, if not by the cruise line, then by the bonding agent.

The maximum bond required is only $32 million per cruise line, a drop in the bucket compared to what any of the cruise  lines owe their passengers for the cruises that have been cancelled.

• Like 1