Electronic Muster Drills

jhannah

3 hours ago, KirkNC said:

Thirty two people died on the Costa Concordia in their cabins.  The ship rolled and sank in about 30 minutes, no time to muster inside or outside.  In the end it was pretty much every man for themselves.  Imagine this on a 5,000 passenger ship.

This did not seem correct so I went to corroborate.

According to the timeline published in the Encyclopedia Britannica entry on the Costa Concordia disaster, the ship struck the reef at approximately 9:45 pm and did not "sink" until about 3 hours later, although by about midnight the Concordia had such a pronounced list that the lifeboat lifts were rendered useless. Still that is far from 30 minutes.

The blame has been placed mainly on the lack of direction from the top and lack of follow-through/training on the part of various responsible officers and crew.  The delay in notifying people of the emergency to start with and, if I remember correctly, the lack of any sort of muster drill for recently-boarded passengers were greater contributors than where the musters were located.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, rtgirard said:

We love HAL, but if you routinely sail in summer, it can get very hot standing on the deck waiting for people who always arrive late.  Would rather they wait 10 minutes and then go ahead...make the late ones attend a separate briefing.

That would fix a lot.

One of the cruises I did out of San Diego would have been a great opportunity. We waited at our station well over 40 minutes for the “special “ people to sashay on over. That was about 70% in our area. In the mean time we were on the sunny side, in the direct sun, and it was about 103F out.

The Entitled Woman next to me, once she and her band showed up, was nervy enough to COMPLAIN about the heat. Had her daughter not jumped in quickly and told her everyone else was hot too, I would have, and it likely would not have been kind.

1 hour ago, cruisemom42 said:

This did not seem correct so I went to corroborate.

According to the timeline published in the Encyclopedia Britannica entry on the Costa Concordia disaster, the ship struck the reef at approximately 9:45 pm and did not "sink" until about 3 hours later, although by about midnight the Concordia had such a pronounced list that the lifeboat lifts were rendered useless. Still that is far from 30 minutes.

The blame has been placed mainly on the lack of direction from the top and lack of follow-through/training on the part of various responsible officers and crew.  The delay in notifying people of the emergency to start with and, if I remember correctly, the lack of any sort of muster drill for recently-boarded passengers were greater contributors than where the musters were located.

Ok,  amend my comment to say three hours, the people still died in their cabins where they had been directed to go.  So in the next disaster will you go sit in your cabin and await further instructions?

i agree that this is not an example to support where a drill should be but it does support having one at all.

7 hours ago, YXU AC*SE said:

Actually, there is a bit more to the patent than TV -- basically it is a pushing of muster messages, including video playback of a muster drill video to your smart phone, and using your phone to track your check-in to the muster station (images are from the granted patent 10,582,335)  You would still need to attend, but you could do over a longer period of time -- moreso crowd management.    Scott. 

image.png.19c73fbf1801130a488c1adcb7723f5d.png

image.png.cf70d7f48aaffe1a42b0176d1a359080.pngimage.png.646a39143a789f294214e4e165b57634.png

And, if one does not have a smartphone?  

7 hours ago, VMax1700 said:

As far as I remember when the emergency alarm sounds passengers must return to their staterooms to collect lifejackets, warm clothing, meds etc. and wait there for further instructions.  This makes being in your stateroom watching a safety video quite sensible as it ties the two actions together in the passengers mind.  With Pax in their staterooms any further actions could be scheduled by deck or area and guided to lifeboats etc.

That reason is why I think it makes sense for HAL's Muster Drill Plans.  What is discouraging to me, however, is this:  I follow the plan as do many other guests moving towards our Muster Station when told to do so.  Arriving at my Station, it's pretty obvious that many of my "possible future lifeboat friends" had arrived much earlier than I did or others who followed me.  

I was on a cruise when HAL first adopted this plan.  I did what I have always done before:  arrive early (so I could be at the back and lean against the bulkhead during the Drill).  My Lifeboat Commander at that time told me in no uncertain terms to return to my cabin and wait for the proper instructions.  Why isn't this done now to the "early birds"? 

1 hour ago, rkacruiser said:

And, if one does not have a smartphone?  

Clearly, you would be branded a Luddite and forced to wait out the duration of the cruise on the pier in stocks.   Not my patent. 

@ these guys ....        🙂       Scott. 

image.thumb.png.a4e97309a4f19f8e8a6c82cd1c953244.png

3 minutes ago, YXU AC*SE said:

you would be branded a Luddite

I, and I think many others, are not opposed to new technology.  I have no use for a smartphone.  My cellular flip phone does what I want such a device to do. 

If I am in the "stocks" on the pier during my "cruise" 😢, as long as I have some restroom breaks, daily Happy Hour, and fed well, i.e. Beef Wellington, Lobster Tail, Eggs Benedict, Prime Rib with Baked Potato with lots of Sour Cream and Chives, and Bread Pudding/warm Vanilla Sauce along with a bottle (or two or ?) of Villa Maria, well:  if I am able to survive this virus, I'd be able to survive such deprivation as well😄

• Like 2

I love this idea- it combines the comfort and ability to easily hear & see the presentation of the theater-style muster, with the requirement to physically appear in the muster location as in HAL's current process (for the majority of their ships), which is important to know if an abandon ship order is given, but not helpful in other types of emergencies.

I experienced an emergency during my last cruise: we were awoken in the middle of the night to learn that a fire had broken out in one of the kitchens. Less than an hour later we were given the all clear.  I was thrilled not to have to put on warm clothes over my PJ, don my lifejacket, and traipse down to the muster station and be allowed to remain in my cabin while things were sorted out, but I understand if people felt more comfortable heading to their station, especially while the nature of the emergency wasn't immediately apparent. Ultimately, each person has to be responsible for their own safety and decisions, should an emergency occur.

3 minutes ago, vms said:

I was thrilled not to have to put on warm clothes over my PJ

One ought to read the account of those Prinsendam I guests who had to evacuate the ship when an uncontrolled engine room fire began.  Many had to leave the ship only in their PJs (and life vests, of course), during a Fall sailing in the Gulf of Alaska along with rough seas.  They were not able to return to their cabins to properly dress for such an experience.  (I do not know why other than it may have been too dangerous.)  Starting a Muster in one's cabin with the opportunity to dress appropriately, obtain the needed documents and money, and medications required makes good sense to me.  

So most have forgotten Costa Concordia - the last cruiseship lifeboat evacuation.

First there was no Emergency Muster Drill done after the last port.

There was a couple found - alive - in their cabin.

There was no emergency signal sounded until the abandon ship anouncement.

The master - capt.coward spent most of his time on his phone talking to the office & the officers were too ill trained to take any action except the staff captain & at least one second officer, they left the bridge & organised the crew to prepare the boats.

Boats departed as soon as the abandon ship was announced.  Some may have left before.

Only 2 boats failed to launch due to the list.  Some boats returned for a second load.

The second officer was the last to leave the ship that night after getting people down the port side ladders to waiting boats.

The last 3 found onboard were in a lift at the bottom of the lift well.

Had things been done as per the Star Princess fire nobody need have died.

• Like 1

HAL is not know for having the most robust in room IT/television system are they?

The problem I see is that people could simple not turn on the tv, not tune in, or the system is part of the ship could be misfuctioning.   At least doing a muster drill on deck or in central areas allows the crew to ensure that everyone attends.  Granted, whether they listen and comprehend is another matter altogether.

3 hours ago, Paulinda said:

I think electronic muster drills is a great idea except cruisers should be obligated to visit their lifeboat stations on embarkation day.  Maybe somehow check in when they get there.  

And once you visit your lifeboat, you get a coupon for "happy hour" pricing for a bon voyage drink!  Provide us a positive incentive to comply vs the threat of being tossed ashore if we do not comply!  

12 minutes ago, FlaMariner said:

And once you visit your lifeboat, you get a coupon for "happy hour" pricing for a bon voyage drink!  Provide us a positive incentive to comply vs the threat of being tossed ashore if we do not comply!  

Love it!   and if the emergency drill is sounded you can get 2 quick drinks to keep you warm (instead of going back to the stateroom for warm clothing) 🤪🥂

1 hour ago, VMax1700 said:

Love it! 🥂

Actually the patent contemplates that. Post your muster check-in, a quiz will get pushed to the device, if successfully answered, will qualify for a voucher for a 'reward'.    Scott. 

image.png.19d53904655cd4f5868b01396113effd.png

image.png.e2c192cb11fac5684b0a26cc660a360d.png

8 hours ago, FlaMariner said:

Excuse my opinion if you wish, but your comment is trivializing something that can mean the difference between surviving or not if one knows what to do.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/29/2020 at 7:33 PM, SeaDog-46 said:

Had things been done as per the Star Princess fire nobody need have died.

Indeed!  The reports that I have read about that situation indicated that the fire continued to progress upward through its fire zone and was close to breaking out of that zone before the crew was able to contain it.  Had that "break-out" happened, I think that an Abandon Ship signal would have been sounded.  Star Princess' crew was ready to deal with such. 

On 4/29/2020 at 7:33 PM, SeaDog-46 said:

The second officer was the last to leave the ship that night after getting people down the port side ladders to waiting boats.

While we know what happened to captain coward, I wonder what happened to this Officer.  Still at sea?   

Edited by rkacruiser

18 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

Excuse my opinion if you wish, but your comment is trivializing something that can mean the difference between surviving or not if one knows what to do.

I agree with you....thus the incentive to make sure you know where your lifeboat is so you can get to it if needed to save your life. 

1 minute ago, FlaMariner said:

I agree with you....thus the incentive to make sure you know where your lifeboat is so you can get to it if needed to save your life. 

Why does one need such an incentive?  Which is more important?  Another glass or two of Villa Maria or one's life?

If you have been to any HAL muster drill, you know that the attention of the guests is abysmal. They talk throughout, don't pay attention, etc,. In the event of a real emergency, most of them would be clueless......

It reaqlly cold not be worse with an electronic one.

• Like 1

Bob - There is not a lot of info regarding the evacuation of Costa Concordia. Most problems were caused by the list & it should have happening an hour earlier.  Although the crew were given a Lloyds medal for it.

The staff captain Roberto Bosio - I believe he was the hero of the incident, is now master with Costa.

2nd officer Simone [male] Canessa - there is some evidence that he is a safety officer with Costa.

Because there was no emergency signal early on when it was obvious that the engine room was flooding & vessel would sink, the emergency elevators continued to work when the emergency generator was working. This caused several deaths.

I will send you pdf's of Star Princess inquiry by UK authorities. 

The Italian findings of C-C,  & a critique of C-C by a consultant UK master mariner.

Changing IMO [SOLAS] rules would take years.

John

Bosio & Canessa earlier

Bosio & Canessa.jpg

12 hours ago, Tennessee Titan said:

If you have been to any HAL muster drill, you know that the attention of the guests is abysmal. They talk throughout, don't pay attention, etc,. In the event of a real emergency, most of them would be clueless......

It reaqlly cold not be worse with an electronic one.

The conduct of those muster drills encourages not paying attention.

We were packed so closely together that it was impossible to observe what the drill leader was trying to demonstrate.

Furthermore, we were forced to stand in front of an exhaust fan that was so loud once could not hear the drill leader.

In addition, while enroute to the drill we encountered a closed door that was marked crew only, do not enter.  We were routed by the crew member there to enforce this warning along a much longer routing.  That crew member told us that in the event of a real emergency that door would be open for our use.  Forcing passengers to avoid the route they should take is not the correct procedure since the drill should replicate the actual conditions during an emergency.

If I were an observer grading this drill, I would have given a failing grade.

• Like 2