FDR Says He Expects NCLH To Resume Cruising In Late 2020

njhorseman

1 hour ago, bitob said:

Old news.

The No Sail Order was published a month ago and expires July 24 . It could be extended, but it certainly doesn't mean the end of cruising in 2020 if the cruise lines can come up with procedures mandated by the order that are approved by the CDC. It's still more than two months until July 24 and the cruise lines are all working to meet the requirements . 

We don’t have a Cruise booked, in the next 2 years, in any American waters. The CDC has no jurisdiction over any of our planned cruises, outside of flights. Therefore, our interests lie in when, and under what conditions, a slew of foreign governments will open back up for sailing.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Redtravel said:

No flights, no cruises, no vacation plans. Not leaving home until safe.  Need a vaccine.  My safety and that of my family is most important to me.  Cruising is not.

As one who can't  wait to start traveling again as soon as I can, you and others with this thinking means the places I want to go to  will not be overrun with tourists. Popular destinations should be calm and empty. I will get as many trips arpund the world in as I can before the hordes start moving again and this will include cruises.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, susiesan said:

As one who can't  wait to start traveling again as soon as I can,

You can travel without getting on a cruise ship or even an intl. flight. Right?

8 hours ago, susiesan said:

As one who can't  wait to start traveling again as soon as I can, you and others with this thinking means the places I want to go to  will not be overrun with tourists. Popular destinations should be calm and empty. I will get as many trips arpund the world in as I can before the hordes start moving again and this will include cruises.

Traveling can be wonderful. I have traveled for many years. I have had a few trips that became risky while traveling. War in Israel, volcano eruption in Iceland, pickpockets in Barcelona and Paris, losing an engine while flying and making an emergency landing, planes canceled or delayed, lost important documents, lost luggage,  credit cards swallowed by ATMs, etc.  upsetting, of course.  Those never involved getting sick from a virus that could kill you.  I never left home thinking that any of those things would happen. On my last trip in March, things were very different.  Left home thinking that about the virus that had recently moved from China into the west coast of the US.  Should I go or not?  Checked to see if the cruise line would refund or our travel insurance would compensate. No.  Fear of an impending pandemic does not qualify. Cruise line assured everything was ok.  Not so.  It was sail or just stay home and lose the money. We went and wished that we had stayed home. When you do decide to travel again,  be cautious and stay safe. You live in Mo. I don’t know how the virus has affected where you live. I live in NJ. Sadly, I have friends who have died from the virus.  Until there is a safe end via vaccine, I will stay at home. For now, just taking quick trips out for food when needed. I would prefer grocery delivery, but haven’t been able to secure a delivery time for the past 2 months. Things are bad. Hope that you are safe in MO. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, clo said:

I'm not Susiean, but have similar goals.  The key is being flexible.  I can pause cruising very easily as I prefer land based travel and usually complement my travels with a cruise.  So I am more inclined to fly internationally than cruise as I have no problem wearing a mask for 15 hours, 8 of which I'll be sleeping. My guess is international flight loads will be light in the coming year, but that is not guaranteed and even though I fly first, the virus doesn't care about that or flight loads for that matter.  On long haul flights I am 6' from others so that does help.

I would not hesitate to cancel and reschedule travel if warranted and have done so in the past.  I usually have a contingency plan for all my travel, including my 2 annual trips to my second home in Vail for ski season and to escape the summer heat.  I left there early and changed plans two times this past spring as I was originally scheduled to fly back to DCA in early April, so decided to drive back the weekend of April 21, then Vail Resorts closed all North American operations at 4 PM on March 14, so planned on driving back the morning of Tuesday March 17, then due to inclement weather moved it up to Monday March 16 and managed to close up my place within 24 hours and hit the road at 4:35 AM on Monday March 14.  That same week I adjusted all of my 2020 travel accordingly...

My May travel (trip to Europe) was rescheduled for September without the cruise portion, so 2 weeks instead of 4 weeks.  If late August/early September rolls around and I need to reschedule, then I'll move everything to December before heading to Asia/OZ for my December cruise (if it happens).  If that doesn't work out then I'll reschedule everything to sometime next year.  Fortunately AA RTW desk has said they will extend expiry of RTW and CIrPac tickets until the end of next year, so flight changes are a breeze.  I never book prepaid hotels, so changes to hotel reservations are easy too.

Now I'm trying to figure out my best plans for 2021... but will probably wait and see what happens this summer before doing so.

I won't book my next cruise until I have received my two refunds from O which probably won't be until July.  Even then I may wait for a summer/fall sale and/or until my December cruise if it happens.  Either way I won't be cruising until Sep-Dec 2021.

Edited by Fam_Cruise
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, pinotlover said:

We don’t have a Cruise booked, in the next 2 years, in any American waters. The CDC has no jurisdiction over any of our planned cruises, outside of flights. Therefore, our interests lie in when, and under what conditions, a slew of foreign governments will open back up for sailing.

CDC:

Jurisdiction, no, agreed.

Bully pulpit, maybe?

If the lines you're cruising never come to the USA, then sure.

If the lines you're cruising run other ships that they hope to sail in American waters, they may find themselves forced to play nice with the CDC--especially if the CDC fears that American pax on, say, European cruises are going to fly home once the cruise is over and bring the virus with them. 

Just as a real world example, on Sunday the UK announced a 14-day self-quarantine for visitors. By today, the order had been lifted for French visitors, because the government of France brought pressure to bear. In this case it's more liberty for tourists, not less, but you get the idea. The CDC could quite easily "ask" cruiselines not to accept American passengers. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, clo said:

My next planned trip is a small group safari in Namibia in September, still a 50/50 if it's a go or not contingent on Ethiopian Airlines flying there. If that trip is postponed into 2021 we will attempt an Arizona road trip. We can fly to Phoenix and rent a car. This would be in October and is subject to parks and monuments being open. I usually take a cruise once a year or once every 2 years. I have travelled the globe not on cruise ships, been to over 80 countries. I just happen to enjoy port intensive cruises when I find a good deal.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Shawnino said:

CDC:

Jurisdiction, no, agreed.

Bully pulpit, maybe?

If the lines you're cruising never come to the USA, then sure.

If the lines you're cruising run other ships that they hope to sail in American waters, they may find themselves forced to play nice with the CDC--especially if the CDC fears that American pax on, say, European cruises are going to fly home once the cruise is over and bring the virus with them. 

Just as a real world example, on Sunday the UK announced a 14-day self-quarantine for visitors. By today, the order had been lifted for French visitors, because the government of France brought pressure to bear. In this case it's more liberty for tourists, not less, but you get the idea. The CDC could quite easily "ask" cruiselines not to accept American passengers. 

I think the only thing we know for sure is how little we know. Things are changing and changing again so fast. If I see an article over, say, three days old I wonder if it's been changed.

• Like 1

On 5/9/2020 at 3:38 PM, bitob said:

Mr. Del Rio is aspirational but delusional.  There is no way NCL will be able to sail in 2020

I would think many early 2021 cruises would be doubtful. 

If the do late 2020 cruise they would likely be sea day cruises to the Caribbean with stops at the cruise lines private Islands.

22 hours ago, PaulMCO said:

I would think many early 2021 cruises would be doubtful. 

If the do late 2020 cruise they would likely be sea day cruises to the Caribbean with stops at the cruise lines private Islands.

That sounds divine!!  LOL

I bet we won't see you and Mindy on those cruises.

Last week I paid the final balance for a cruise on Marina In August this year which  I know will be cancelled. 

My options were , ( spelt out from my TA,) either to lose my £2000 deposit for breach of contract/ cancelling the cruise or pay the balance of another £6000 and claim it all back in full through either the cruise company or my credit card company or ABTA ( the association of British travel agencies)

I know I will have to wait 90 days for my refund, but better than losing the £2000 deposit would you not agree?

mklions.

19 minutes ago, mklions said:

Last week I paid the final balance for a cruise on Marina In August this year which  I know will be cancelled. 

My options were , ( spelt out from my TA,) either to lose my £2000 deposit for breach of contract/ cancelling the cruise or pay the balance of another £6000 and claim it all back in full through either the cruise company or my credit card company or ABTA ( the association of British travel agencies)

I know I will have to wait 90 days for my refund, but better than losing the £2000 deposit would you not agree?

mklions.

You have to wait for  Oceania to cancel your cruise  correct??

If those  were your options I guess  I would pay the FP 

So glad we  get refunded  the deposit if we cancel before FP here

4 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

You have to wait for  Oceania to cancel your cruise  correct??

If those  were your options I guess  I would pay the FP 

So glad we  get refunded  the deposit if we cancel before FP here

It's a mixed bag.

We may be able to get the deposit back if cancelled in time but a cruiser in UK got a refund on Seabourn cruise even when cancelling before the cruise line cancelled because of a significant change in itinerary. SB offered FCC but the UK law dictated that if the company cannot provide the product they paid for (I maybe misquoting the law itself) they are due a refund and not FCC. I was in the same position but did not have the UK law to protect me and I can only get FCC and no refund.

17 minutes ago, Paulchili said:

It's a mixed bag.

We may be able to get the deposit back if cancelled in time but a cruiser in UK got a refund on Seabourn cruise even when cancelling before the cruise line cancelled because of a significant change in itinerary. SB offered FCC but the UK law dictated that if the company cannot provide the product they paid for (I maybe misquoting the law itself) they are due a refund and not FCC. I was in the same position but did not have the UK law to protect me and I can only get FCC and no refund.

Yes  I think you are correct  on the change in itinerary  deal

some  protections are good  some  not  😉