Lift & Shif, Rebook the same voyage - Does it Work?

doubled

We had a great cruise with a good price booked for a cruise in Europe coming up this October 2020 and felt we would cancel due to Covid situation and some personal health concerns.  Contacted Azamara to inquire about Lift & Shift - Rebook the same voyage.  Phone call was answered promptly and spoke to an Azamara rep working from home.  Was given 6 cruise options that would work for moving our cruise to 2021 but would need to go through travel agent as that is who I had booked with.  Thought "Oh great this is going to be difficult."

Well was Easy Peasy.  Was able to switch to 2021 cruise no problem.  Same price(current pricing was several thousand higher). room class, onboard credit stayed same.  Went to Azamara website next morning and logged in and low and behold everything was in perfect order with new cruise and OBC showing.  Now just hoping everything works out.

GREAT JOB AZAMARA!!!

Art

• Like 6

That's a really good idea!  I guess it only works because Azamara tends to repeat the same cruise itineraries over time, but still, good customer relations!  (I'm lurking, no Az cruises booked, but we cancelled our Regent world cruise last month, and when I asked if they would move us to the 2022 cruise with no penalty, they refused.  Not a huge penalty, considering the cost involved, but still, a significant chunk of change.)

7 hours ago, doubled said:

We had a great cruise with a good price booked for a cruise in Europe coming up this October 2020 and felt we would cancel due to Covid situation and some personal health concerns.  Contacted Azamara to inquire about Lift & Shift - Rebook the same voyage.  Phone call was answered promptly and spoke to an Azamara rep working from home.  Was given 6 cruise options that would work for moving our cruise to 2021 but would need to go through travel agent as that is who I had booked with.  Thought "Oh great this is going to be difficult."

Well was Easy Peasy.  Was able to switch to 2021 cruise no problem.  Same price(current pricing was several thousand higher). room class, onboard credit stayed same.  Went to Azamara website next morning and logged in and low and behold everything was in perfect order with new cruise and OBC showing.  Now just hoping everything works out.

GREAT JOB AZAMARA!!!

Art

Thanks for posting "doubled"!

Had you paid in full, or part paid when you made the switch?

We are contemplating similar, as we probably still won't be able to leave the country in October this year.

2 hours ago, Wendy The Wanderer said:

That's a really good idea!  I guess it only works because Azamara tends to repeat the same cruise itineraries over time, but still, good customer relations!  (I'm lurking, no Az cruises booked, but we cancelled our Regent world cruise last month, and when I asked if they would move us to the 2022 cruise with no penalty, they refused.  Not a huge penalty, considering the cost involved, but still, a significant chunk of change.)

I found Regent to be very unflexible. My DH had to have triple bypass surgery 3 weeks before our Cruise to the Amazon. It was an expensive cruise and, fortunately, we had insurance to cover the cost of the cruise/air as Regent was totally unwilling to work with us. They pocketed the $$$ and lost a customer. 

We have successfully applied this to our Black Sea cruise, all done very efficiently through our TA and we are now going next year, for the same price with only a small adjustment in Port charges. Same category cabin, great service, all we need now is that vaccine! 

Do however suspect the flights next year won’t be as cheap When they are released.

• Like 2

Looking to possibly book the round UK next year as it embarks right here.  However plan fell at the first hurdle, Ive realised the itinerary for July would have to change as the Open Golf has been moved from St Andrews to Kent. Doubt new itineraries will be here in time (understandably) 

We are booked on Journey on October 3rd for seven nights. I called our TA to see what cruises we could shift to in 2021 and was told there were none. Do you think I should ask Azamara as I can't believe that is the case.

22 minutes ago, john1970 said:

We are booked on Journey on October 3rd for seven nights. I called our TA to see what cruises we could shift to in 2021 and was told there were none. Do you think I should ask Azamara as I can't believe that is the case.

I would do.
I have found travel agents to be woefully lacking in understanding of Azamara’s processes. Whether that’s because of poor communication within the agency or between the agency and Azamara I cannot tell but certainly here agents have done themselves absolutely no favours. They’ve either been far too rara optimistic wanting to take your money or credits for new bookings that in all honesty won’t happen or they’ve been extremely economical with the truth when communicating your options.

Thank goodness Azamara contacted us with our options when cancelling our three - eventually two weeks later the agency contacted us, but missed off half the options. I hope after this there’s much more regulations and standards placed on agents here. Their ignorance can be astounding in some cases! 

So yes try and speak with Azamara but make sure they know you’ve already tried with the agent or they will loop you back round again. The agent may be right but it’s worth double checking. 

Edited by uktog
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, Baynanno1 said:

Thanks for posting "doubled"!

Had you paid in full, or part paid when you made the switch?

We are contemplating similar, as we probably still won't be able to leave the country in October this year.

Final payment was due n June 2020 for original.  New final payment date 120 days prior to cruise date in 2021.  I thought maybe Azamara would say can only switch if you make final payment but that was not the case.

Very pleased as thought we'd have to lose out on good price we had.  Itinerary is a little different but change was allowed.  Like some things better with new itinerary.  Believe this was very good idea by Azamara (RCCL) as we would have certainly canceled original cruise and now feel no risk to wait and see how things are before final payment next year and Azamara has kept a booking they would have lost.

Hope others have as easy of transition as we experienced.

Thanks again Azamara

Art

• Like 2

6 hours ago, john1970 said:

If I’m not mistaken, the “Lift and Shift” rules allow for the new itinerary to be +/- one night in cruise duration, *similar* (but not exactly the same itinerary),  same cabin category, with a cruise date -4 weeks before or +4 weeks for the same date in 2021. (I’m pretty sure that this was outlined in another thread.)

Added: I believe that under the parent company rules, that ships can be substituted. If the itineraries are close enough, your agent may be successful in making a case to switch your cruise to maybe  this one: 

https://www.azamara.com/en-ca/voyage/qs07m473/7-night-rivieras-and-harbors-voyage

Go online on the Azamara site & see if anything else seems to fit the bill. Give this info to your TA and instruct them to make the change. Put it in an e-mail.

Edited by snowglobe
Added & corrected info.
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, john1970 said:

Hi john1970,

Snowglobe is right on all her points, as is Uktog that you should contact us directly. 

I looked up our October 2020 7-night offerings and see that you must be on a Mediterranean voyage.

I also looked up what is similar in 2021 (using our Find a Voyage feature in top right corner of website).

There are currently two 7-night Med cruises on the Quest: October 2, 2021 from Barcelona to Civitavecchia (Rome), and reverse on October 28, 2021. 

https://www.azamara.com/int/find-a-journey#dest=MEDIT&date=2021-10-01,2021-11-01&duration=lt9&sort=date-asc

• Like 1

4 hours ago, snowglobe said:

If I’m not mistaken, the “Lift and Shift” rules allow for the new itinerary to be +/- one night in cruise duration, *similar* (but not exactly the same itinerary),  same cabin category, with a cruise date -4 weeks before or +4 weeks for the same date in 2021. (I’m pretty sure that this was outlined in another thread.)

Added: I believe that under the parent company rules, that ships can be substituted. If the itineraries are close enough, your agent may be successful in making a case to switch your cruise to maybe  this one: 

https://www.azamara.com/en-ca/voyage/qs07m473/7-night-rivieras-and-harbors-voyage

Go online on the Azamara site & see if anything else seems to fit the bill. Give this info to your TA and instruct them to make the change. Put it in an e-mail.

2 hours ago, BBMacLaird said:

Hi john1970,

Snowglobe is right on all her points, as is Uktog that you should contact us directly. 

I looked up our October 2020 7-night offerings and see that you must be on a Mediterranean voyage.

I also looked up what is similar in 2021 (using our Find a Voyage feature in top right corner of website).

There are currently two 7-night Med cruises on the Quest: October 2, 2021 from Barcelona to Civitavecchia (Rome), and reverse on October 28, 2021. 

https://www.azamara.com/int/find-a-journey#dest=MEDIT&date=2021-10-01,2021-11-01&duration=lt9&sort=date-asc

Bonny, could you advise me please?  We have a South Africa booked for December 2020, 10 nights and as I’m classed as the most vulnerable group in the UK I’m anticipating that we won’t be able to go this year.  The same/similar cruises for 2021/22 are either 12 or 13 nights.  Would this be possible please? 

Thank you.

8 hours ago, doubled said:

Final payment was due n June 2020 for original.  New final payment date 120 days prior to cruise date in 2021.  I thought maybe Azamara would say can only switch if you make final payment but that was not the case.

Very pleased as thought we'd have to lose out on good price we had.  Itinerary is a little different but change was allowed.  Like some things better with new itinerary.  Believe this was very good idea by Azamara (RCCL) as we would have certainly canceled original cruise and now feel no risk to wait and see how things are before final payment next year and Azamara has kept a booking they would have lost.

Hope others have as easy of transition as we experienced.

Thanks again Azamara

Art

Thanks very much Art for your detailed response. We should be able to lift & shift.

Unfortunately for john1970 as Bonnie has poined out, there are only two cruises that may fit the bill for him.

Trish

On 5/10/2020 at 1:21 AM, doubled said:

GREAT JOB AZAMARA!!!

Art

That's good news for you.  We have a sailing for September 10, Southhampton to Barcelona, which we're reluctant to pay for by the extended time for payment but if the Lift and Shift is extended past sailing until 30 August we may consider this.  We're expecting it to be near impossible to get out of Australia for some time because of international border closures so have to consider our options closely.  We'd be happy to travel and do the quarantine of 2 weeks at both ends if it meant sailing with our beloved Azamara.  Can't see Spain accepting ships though until the end of 2020 at least (reported).

Edited by aussie travel bird

18 hours ago, Werangels said:

Bonny, could you advise me please?  We have a South Africa booked for December 2020, 10 nights and as I’m classed as the most vulnerable group in the UK I’m anticipating that we won’t be able to go this year.  The same/similar cruises for 2021/22 are either 12 or 13 nights.  Would this be possible please? 

Thank you.

Hello Werangels, 

Per the T&C's of the new enhanced Cruise With Confidence program, the alternate voyage allowance is a voyage of the same length, +1, or -1 day in length. I believe you can pay the difference for the additional day(s) if you choose a longer voyage. 

Here is a link to the page, with FAQ's and T&Cs at the bottom.

Cruise With Confidencehttps://www.azamara.com/int/cruise-with-confidence

But all that said, I do hope you'll be able to sail on the December 2020 South Africa voyage with us!

Of course, with our new program you can wait until close-in to decide what you'll do. 

• Like 1

Hi,

We are due to sail on the Journey on 21st August  from Southampton to Norway .

We have asked our TA if we can Lift and Shift to next year but they have said we can’t as there is no cruise the same. We know there is no Norway Intensive cruise next year but surely could we not have another cruise?  Bonnie could you advise thanks.

Sarah

4 hours ago, BBMacLaird said:

Hello Werangels, 

Per the T&C's of the new enhanced Cruise With Confidence program, the alternate voyage allowance is a voyage of the same length, +1, or -1 day in length. I believe you can pay the difference for the additional day(s) if you choose a longer voyage. 

Here is a link to the page, with FAQ's and T&Cs at the bottom.

Cruise With Confidencehttps://www.azamara.com/int/cruise-with-confidence

But all that said, I do hope you'll be able to sail on the December 2020 South Africa voyage with us!

Of course, with our new program you can wait until close-in to decide what you'll do. 

Hi Bonnie - can you elaborate on the part about paying the difference if it's a longer voyage?  I have looked and can't find anything about it in the T&C's or FAQ's.  We are looking at a cruise that is 2 days longer than our current one but with essentially the same itinerary.  We booked our current cruise onboard and received OBC's as well as getting our Discoverer Plus discount.  I would like to try and preserve those.  Would gladly pay for the extra day but need some clarification on how that works.  Thanks so much.

Sue

59 minutes ago, sarahuk said:

Hi,

We are due to sail on the Journey on 21st August  from Southampton to Norway .

We have asked our TA if we can Lift and Shift to next year but they have said we can’t as there is no cruise the same. We know there is no Norway Intensive cruise next year but surely could we not have another cruise?  Bonnie could you advise thanks.

Sarah

I suggest writing to our Customer Service and asking which alternate voyages would qualify for you under our new Cruise with Confidence.  Here is the e-mail address: AzamaraCustomerService@Azamara.com

Doing a quick search using our Find A Voyage tool (top right corner of the webpage), and filtering for destination, months in 2021 and cruise length, I came up with what I believe are various voyages in 2021 that could qualify. But as said, you should check with our CS team, because I'm not the 'decider'!

https://www.azamara.com/int/find-a-journey#dest=EUROP&date=2021-07-01,2021-08-01,2021-09-01&duration=10to14&sort=date-asc

Eligible alternate sailing” means a booking in the same stateroom category sailing with Azamara on the same product (itinerary type) and cruise length (+/- one sail night), scheduled within four weeks before or four weeks after the date of the original sailing but in the subsequent year.

We have been successful in using the lift and shift option, moving our booking from 10 Oct 2020 (9nt) to 9 Oct 2021 (10nt).

As we had booked through a TA, I called Azamara to ascertain which voyages we were allowed to move to.   4 options were given, different ships, plus/minus 1 night.  There was another cruise I'd seen in Oct but that was 11nts so not an option.

We were in a tricky situation as we had booked 2 spa suites with friends, so knew we had limited optioons to move due to there only being 2 of these suites on each ship.  

I asked if we could move up to the next category and pay the difference or down and pay a lesser sum.  This was not an option as they would treat it as a new booking at the current price with the current perks and just transfer our paid deposit over.

Effectively I had only 1 cruise available to me, which I managed to secure above, so very pleased as next year's price has increased.  

I got in touch with my TA by email who moved the booking to next year without any issues.

Very pleased with the process.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have worked with a few travel agents for cruises and have used the service which finds travel agents with the best pricing.  I had three future cruises booked over a 16 month period and one TA stood out among the three in terms of handling the situations and moving my cruise.  I really wish I had used him for my Azamara cruise that I cancelled because I would bet he would have worked out a good move over.  Instead, I wound up throwing away my future cruise credits.  You learn a lot during these times.  Any travel agent can book a cruise and some will even get you a great discount,  but it's the ones with great relationships with the cruise lines that can help you when you need it most.  

• Like 1

We were booked on the Greek Intensive leaving 1 August 2020, and have  moved our (direct) booking to a very similar cruise in 2021. Using “Lift and Shift”
 Very easy. Got through on the phone quickly, re-booking was so straightforward despite us having FCCs  and OBC attached to the original booking all successfully transferred with just a small increase in Taxes and Port fees. We even have the same cabin! 
We were approaching the revised date to pay the final balance so had been worrying over what to do

So Thank you Azamara

• Like 2

I just shifted my Australia/New Zealand Cruise from Feb 2021 to Feb 2022. The boat will be the Journey instead of the Pursuit. Slight extra fee for taxes but otherwise the same. I did note that the ship seems to be almost full for a cruise that is in 21 months so I suspect others have done the same. 

Edited by luv2travel90266
typo correction