What happens if ships go out, and people get sick?

We all want the ships to start sailing as soon as possible. But what happens if ships go out and people get sick. People are still getting sick on land; there's no reason to think they won't get sick at sea unless the screen is impeccable. Even if it RCL is perfect, if someone on another line *cough*Princess*cough* gets sick it will taint the whole industry. To me (admittedly paranoid) mind, the whole industry would be in a heap lot of trouble. 

Or am I just being paranoid. We are getting to the point where we treat Covid-19 cases on land as just another part of life. Maybe we will treat cases on ships the same way. Thoughts?

3 minutes ago, zekekelso said:

We all want the ships to start sailing as soon as possible. But what happens if ships go out and people get sick. People are still getting sick on land; there's no reason to think they won't get sick at sea unless the screen is impeccable. Even if it RCL is perfect, if someone on another line *cough*Princess*cough* gets sick it will taint the whole industry. To me (admittedly paranoid) mind, the whole industry would be in a heap lot of trouble. 

Or am I just being paranoid. We are getting to the point where we treat Covid-19 cases on land as just another part of life. Maybe we will treat cases on ships the same way. Thoughts?

All it will take is for an outbreak to occur on any cruise ship and it will be the end of the industry - at least for a long time.  They can't afford for that to happen, so regardless of how much people want cruising to start back up, IMO it isn't going to happen anytime soon.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

The European Union recommendations for cruises to be allowed to resume include having much larger more advanced medical facilities onboard with trained medical staff to deal with infectious diseases along with ventilators, a certain number of quarantine cabins for both passengers and crew per 1000 onboard and an agreement in advance of opening a cruise season with each port that they will be able to provide medical services along with repatriation of crew and passengers as needed. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On today's investor webinar call the 3 top guys (Bayley, Fain and other guy - Liberty I think his name is) said several times they will not start sailing until they can insure the safety of everyone onboard and when everyone will fill safe.   When someone asked what would happen if someone came ill with covid they declined in answering.    I suspect they have no plans of sailing anytime soon as they don't want to chance having an outbreak.   the cost of waiting will hurt their business but the cost of sailing too soon and having an outbreak would be devastating to their business.   

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

On today's investor webinar call the 3 top guys (Bayley, Fain and other guy - Liberty I think his name is) said several times they will not start sailing until they can insure the safety of everyone onboard and when everyone will fill safe.   When someone asked what would happen if someone came ill with covid they declined in answering.    I suspect they have no plans of sailing anytime soon as they don't want to chance having an outbreak.   the cost of waiting will hurt their business but the cost of sailing too soon and having an outbreak would be devastating to their business.   

I agree with this. I think it will still be awhile before they do. And when they do, I think it's likely they will kind of test the waters with short cruises.

1 hour ago, zekekelso said:

You seemed to have answered your own question. 

If ships sail and people get sick the media will have a field day.  Governments will overreact, close ports and people will become stranded. 

Pretty much what happened the first time even though spread was occuring on land the whole time to a much larger degree than on ships.

100 school children infected at a public school will only make local news.  3 infected on a ship will make headlines worldwide.  

Perhaps they should only sail 3 night cruises for a while so that fewer guests will begin showing symptoms while on board.  Get them on and get them off, like going to church.

• Like 9

If someone came onboard sick, how long would it take for someone they gave it to to show symptoms?

I have no idea, just asking. Princess and HAL that had sick pax those cruises were all longer cruises.

On the 4 5 and 7 cruises carnival is supposed to do would you have time to show symptoms?

8 minutes ago, twangster said:

Perhaps they should only sail 3 night cruises for a while so that fewer guests will begin showing symptoms while on board.  Get them on and get them off, like going to church.

That's kind of similar to what I was thinking and asking.

40 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

If someone came onboard sick, how long would it take for someone they gave it to to show symptoms?

I have no idea, just asking. Princess and HAL that had sick pax those cruises were all longer cruises.

On the 4 5 and 7 cruises carnival is supposed to do would you have time to show symptoms?

Yes.  Symptoms can appear within 2 days of exposure.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, zekekelso said:

It is very difficult not to get paranoid during a pandemic.When the country begins to open up this weekend My feeling is that a lot of people will not practice social distancing and/or wear masks which may cause the virus to resurface in its original form.I have not been out of my house since March 12 except for 5 minute walks on sunny and not windy days and have no desire to go anywhere.

3 hours ago, zekekelso said:

At least with Noro, even if a ship returns to port, they get everyone off and disinfect the ship.  The ill are left to recover on their own.  At least this is what I remember.  Corona is a whole different game and will set everyone's hair on fire and end the world.  I don't believe ant cruise line wants to be the first to figure out the answer to the question.

If cruise lines sail again before requiring a certificate of (some future, effective) vaccination, it's going to be a ***** show.  I don't care if they do pre-board screenings, require a mask, try to social distance, reduce load factors to 30-50%, get rid of or modify the buffet, etc.

A ship is just way too intimate a space, filled with high-touch areas.  At least with noro, you're just miserable in cabin quarantine and running to the bathroom for the most part.

Edited by mk-ultra
  • Like 1

There has been a lot of discussion about taking temperatures.

The problem with the virus is that even if one has excellent health upon boarding, an inhaled droplet (from a shore excursion, a crew member, a fellow passenger) could mean the end of the cruise and a mandatory quarantine.

Perhaps they will require all passengers to have very strong health insurance which could potentially cover the cost of evacuations as needed.

Unfortunately the insurance industry may balk at providing that level of service as the numbers were so high in the first wave of Covid-19.

Disney wants to use a liability waiver to state visitors enter the parks at their own risk and will not sue. There are a lot of interesting legal discussions about this topic. Not sure how this would play out on a cruise ship, but I definitely think there needs to be some improvement in the ventilation processes!

4 hours ago, sugcarol said:

I like many others are going to keep an eye on Carnival, as far as I know they are the only cruise line that will be begin sailing 8/1. They will be the lab monkeys.

I don’t think Carnival or any other cruise line will be sailing in August from the US, most likely due to the CDC. 

• Like 4

I think that the chances of catching Covid-19 are being overblown if the precautions are taken. I work for a supermarket chain that has thousands of workers across 7 states, and we deal with customers as close a 1 foot away sometimes, and they aren't always wearing masks. Out of the thousands of workers, there have only been 19 cases, and thankfully no deaths. If I'm flamed for this, so be it, but these are facts.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, deliver42 said:

I think that the chances of catching Covid-19 are being overblown if the precautions are taken. I work for a supermarket chain that has thousands of workers across 7 states, and we deal with customers as close a 1 foot away sometimes, and they aren't always wearing masks. Out of the thousands of workers, there have only been 19 cases, and thankfully no deaths. If I'm flamed for this, so be it, but these are facts.

Please don't confuse the hysteria with facts.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, deliver42 said:

19 cases in a supermarket chain and nobody is demanding we shut down all supermarkets. If there are 19 cases on cruise ships, will the public and politicians react the same way, or will they demand an end to cruising?

• Like 1

12 hours ago, LibertyBella said:

There has been a lot of discussion about taking temperatures.

The problem with the virus is that even if one has excellent health upon boarding, an inhaled droplet (from a shore excursion, a crew member, a fellow passenger) could mean the end of the cruise and a mandatory quarantine.

Perhaps they will require all passengers to have very strong health insurance which could potentially cover the cost of evacuations as needed.

Unfortunately the insurance industry may balk at providing that level of service as the numbers were so high in the first wave of Covid-19.

Disney wants to use a liability waiver to state visitors enter the parks at their own risk and will not sue. There are a lot of interesting legal discussions about this topic. Not sure how this would play out on a cruise ship, but I definitely think there needs to be some improvement in the ventilation processes!

in regards to liability waivers, i think that is a given if we want to step foot on a ship, but the challenge for the cruise ships will be quarantine and not being able to get off the ship.  however, i think i have posted this already, but they have to have a clear plan as to what the procedure will be if there is an outbreak.  Like previously stated, that would be a media frenzy if they get a ship in quarantine and cant get people off.