ABC Four Corners Monday Night 8:30pm

I am surprised everyone remembers the transplant cruiser (I don't even remember her name 😜) so vividly. She got about five minutes airtime in a 45 minute program. Maybe she should have a career in TV as it seems people really hang on to every word she speaks😂

1 minute ago, ilikeanswers said:

I am surprised everyone remembers the transplant cruiser (I don't even remember her name 😜) so vividly. She got about five minutes airtime in a 45 minute program. Maybe she should have a career in TV as it seems people really hang on to every word she speaks😂

I remember her as she appeared three times in the ads they had over the weekend promoting the program.

4 hours ago, BRANDEE said:

Otherwise , so far, according to the commissioners inquiry testimony..there was miscommunication and poor procedure regarding the handling of disembarkation regulations. And if you read the testimony of Ms. Ressler regarding the handling of the disembarkation on Mar 8th with NSW health..the outcome would have been the same.

It is interesting to wonder just what would have played out if the threshold number of 38 was met & hence NSW Health boarded as they did on 8th. If we speculate  they found a higher number of ARD symptoms aboard, and perhaps based on that, and the negative Influenza A tests already done, they may have held all passengers onboard until the COVID-19 test results were in. What would they then do if a) the results were negative or b) if there were positive results? 

For a), they likely would have released all passengers not displaying symptoms, and kept those with symptoms onboard. From there, I don't know.

For b) I don't know. Likely this was a scenario which neither Carnival/Princess nor NSW Health wanted to even contemplate, with the Diamond fresh in their mind. In any case this did not happen, with seemingly the miscommunications & poor procedures resulting in this scenario not occurring. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Cruisegroover said:

I remember her as she appeared three times in the ads they had over the weekend promoting the program.

45 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

She also got a lot of column space in the online article. 

I missed all the promos and didn't read any online articles no wonder I'm confused why everyone is focusing on her 😂. In the actual show she had a couple of thirty second spots, so like a sentence here and there and to me she blended in with all the other interviews. The thing I remember most is all the news footage which I was a bit disappointed because I was hoping for more passenger footage like the White Island report but I guess it is not as dramatic looking so they probably didn't think it was worth collecting. Though it was good to hear from the Aussie family from the inside cabin on Diamond Princess. I am glad to see they recovered well and got home🤗

1 hour ago, ilikeanswers said:

I missed all the promos and didn't read any online articles no wonder I'm confused why everyone is focusing on her 😂. In the actual show she had a couple of thirty second spots, so like a sentence here and there and to me she blended in with all the other interviews. The thing I remember most is all the news footage which I was a bit disappointed because I was hoping for more passenger footage like the White Island report but I guess it is not as dramatic looking so they probably didn't think it was worth collecting. Though it was good to hear from the Aussie family from the inside cabin on Diamond Princess. I am glad to see they recovered well and got home🤗

I didn't see any promos, but the 'transplant' passenger stood out to me because of her vehement criticism of Princess when she had chosen not to go to the medical centre, even though passengers were asked to do so if they had symptoms. I am sorry she became ill, but she may have passed the virus on to others.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Pushka said:

I think the Transplant passenger received a lot of airtime once they got to Ruby's story. Also she was quite, well, memorable. 

She certainly had descriptive language but I didn't feel she got any more air time the the other two passengers. Maybe because she was more animated that made her more memorable for everyone else. Personally the travel agent and for some reason the international maritime lawyer stuck in my mind more. 

3 hours ago, pully8 said:

https://www.smh.com.au/national/give-limited-information-truthfully-the-extrication-of-a-cruise-ship-20200519-p54uct.html This was an account by a doctor on the Greg Mortimer cruise ship. It was a fascinating read. Not 4 corners but a tale about what went on behind the scenes to repatriate passengers and manage the negotiations.  

If that email is real that was incredibly insensitive of Dr Haifer😦

9 hours ago, mr walker said:

It is interesting to wonder just what would have played out if the threshold number of 38 was met & hence NSW Health boarded as they did on 8th. If we speculate  they found a higher number of ARD symptoms aboard, and perhaps based on that, and the negative Influenza A tests already done, they may have held all passengers onboard until the COVID-19 test results were in. What would they then do if a) the results were negative or b) if there were positive results? 

For a), they likely would have released all passengers not displaying symptoms, and kept those with symptoms onboard. From there, I don't know.

For b) I don't know. Likely this was a scenario which neither Carnival/Princess nor NSW Health wanted to even contemplate, with the Diamond fresh in their mind. In any case this did not happen, with seemingly the miscommunications & poor procedures resulting in this scenario not occurring. 

The cruise before that disembarked on Mar 8th..had 360 passengers how up the morning of disembarkation..only 170 were expected.  This sounds like that second medical report sent to health department is filed after passengers leave.  According to Ms. Ressler's testimony..All passengers were allowed to disembark the morning of the 8th, before any test results, except for the 30 that were deemed sick enough to be tested.

So on the morning of Mar 19th, if NSW again boarded the ship, as many on the Ruby expected,  procedure would have been to disembark all passengers, who were not being tested,  before test results came back. Just like the cruise before..There were under 170 reporting the morning of Mar 19th..half that reported on the morning of Mar 8th. 

That is like locking the barn door after you let the horses out.

The outcome would have been the same..a very sloppy procedure to me.   The NSW Health allowed the Ovation of the Seas to dock on Mar 18.. All passengers left and after it was found that 5 tested positive for covid..why no mention. 

Did I get covid from Ruby or from sitting 15 hours on a flight home next to a crew member from the Ovation ??? 

4 hours ago, ilikeanswers said:

She certainly had descriptive language but I didn't feel she got any more air time the the other two passengers. Maybe because she was more animated that made her more memorable for everyone else. Personally the travel agent and for some reason the international maritime lawyer stuck in my mind more. 

Maybe she is remembered for blaming everyone but herself.  Taking no responsibility for her actions. A transplant passenger taking medical advice from a lady in a white uniform?  She didn't even go to the doctor when feeling ill during the cruise and then blames princess for putting money over her health..Just what she did herself. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Pushka said:

I think the Transplant passenger received a lot of airtime once they got to Ruby's story. Also she was quite, well, memorable. 

I  want to sue her for spreading covid to me and my husband and almost killing us...she put money over the health of the other passengers by not reporting to the doctors, an announcement made to the passengers the last few days. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, BRANDEE said:

I  want to sue her for spreading covid to me and my husband and almost killing us...she put money over the health of the other passengers by not reporting to the doctors, an announcement made to the passengers the last few days. 

Fully support you BRANDEE particularly if she has admitted (on air) to not going to the Medical Centre when she felt ill as we both know Ruby plied passengers with paperwork requesting that they were to do just that - report to medical immediately if they felt “any” illness.

Totally aside from the 4 Corners story (but part of it) a woman in Cairns has just been diagnosed with Covid19. 

First thing the Media saidthe woman was a passenger on the Ruby Princess” 😳

What the heck??? If it’s the above cruise in question, that’s 9.5 weeks ago she would have disembarked and should have travelled straight home into 14 day self isolation!!
If it was the previous cruise, it’s now over 11 weeks and just seems so far fetched that this woman could have gotten Covid from either of the cruises.

Then again they didn't actually say Ruby was the cause - just implied it 😡🤬

Edited by Porky55

7 minutes ago, Porky55 said:

Totally aside from the 4 Corners story (but part of it) a woman in Cairns has just been diagnosed with Covid19. 

What the heck??? If it’s the above cruise in question, that’s 9.5 weeks ago she would have disembarked and should have travelled straight home into 14 day self isolation!!
If it was the previous cruise, it’s now over 11 weeks and just seems so far fetched that this woman could have gotten Covid from either of the cruises.

A little more explanation on the case:

Woman diagnosed with coronavirus 80 days ago still showing symptoms

14 minutes ago, ilikeanswers said:

A little more explanation on the case:

Thank you, As I said and as the attachment confirms, the link to Ruby is highly unlikely 🤔

Edited by Porky55

36 minutes ago, Porky55 said:

Fully support you BRANDEE particularly if she has admitted (on air) to not going to the Medical Centre when she felt ill as we both know Ruby plied passengers with paperwork requesting that they were to do just that - report to medical immediately if they felt “any” illness.

Thanks for your support, but in reality all on board were clueless to having covid among us, but what I was trying to really point out is being so upset that she was not taken care of by the cruiseline because all they cared about was the profit at the end..but she did not even bother to take care of herself and would not spend the extra money.  She wasn't the "average Joe"..she was a double transplant recipient who should be very careful of any illness due to her compromised immune system.  Don't blame others for a job that she must take seriously!  I have a very low tolerance for people who do not accept the consequences of their actions..As a teacher/principal..that is one of the first lessons I taught for over 30 years..pre K to high school.

From the article

Ian Mackay, a virologist with the University of Queensland, said he suspected it was unlikely the cases were bucking the fortnight-incubation trend.

"If this is some specific event, then it's incredibly rare," Associate Professor Mackay said.

"In biology there can always be abnormalities, but I don't think we've got anything that suggests that is solid.

"I'd think we're missing some information that might be key to understand this, and that is, did these people come back from the boat or India as a family group or as a couple?

As I said, more information required for this, someone may have infected the other person in the household and then was reinfected themselves again and so forth.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

As I said, more information required for this, someone may have infected the other person in the household and then was reinfected themselves again and so forth

Exactly, perhaps the Qld Govt need to count this as a ‘NSW transmission’ so they can keep the borders closed until September as they are threatening!!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, BRANDEE said:

I have a very low tolerance for people who do not accept the consequences of their actions.

Sad truth of life BRANDEE  the necessity for some to find someone else to blame. 
Honestly just want to see the end of the Commission here in Aus, the findings released and the whole lesson for Ruby Princess put to good future use.

AND THEN LETS GET BACK TO CRUISING!!!   😡🙏

Edited by Porky55
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, Porky55 said:

Our Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk said "We believe she got it on the Ruby Princess". 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

From the article

Ian Mackay, a virologist with the University of Queensland, said he suspected it was unlikely the cases were bucking the fortnight-incubation trend.

"If this is some specific event, then it's incredibly rare," Associate Professor Mackay said.

"In biology there can always be abnormalities, but I don't think we've got anything that suggests that is solid.

"I'd think we're missing some information that might be key to understand this, and that is, did these people come back from the boat or India as a family group or as a couple?

As I said, more information required for this, someone may have infected the other person in the household and then was reinfected themselves again and so forth.

I know of two people who are still testing positive after 40 days.  But they are not considered infectious.  This is how it was explained to me..there are dead covid cells still in the blood stream and they test positive even though they are not active. Most people's body rid themselves of the "dead" cells quickly, but not all.  Something similar to the fact that  two weeks after all passengers left the Diamond Princess they still found covid cells on plastic/furniture, but they were dead cells and could not infect.  Of course..this does not help the person trying to get a negative to go back to work....Regarding still being physically sick..this disease takes a toll on anyone who gets it..there are days I still get fatigued and that is not like me but the doctor said it could be weeks /months???before totally back to normal.

Edited by BRANDEE

My DIL's sister was one of Queensland's early COVID cases, being diagnosed on 9th March after arriving home from Europe two days earlier. She spent a week or so in isolation in an infectious diseases ward in hospital, then in isolation at home while being constantly tested. She was sick, very lethargic etc. She tested positive for seven weeks, even though by then she wasn't sick, just very tired. After the first four weeks, she was told she was no longer infectious, but she continued to take precautions as if she was until she tested negative.

• Like 1