Best Upgrade?

babs135

Ok, so I'm kind of bored this morning and the news stinks (and not just about the virus) so I thought I'd start a light-hearted thread.

What's your best (free) upgrade?  Ours was from an inside cabin to a balcony on a transatlantic crossing on the QM2.  Best of all we didn't know until check-in when the lady behind the desk just casually said we'd been upgraded.  When we asked where to, she just smiled, handed us our sea passes and said 'enjoy'.  And we did!!!

• Like 3

Our very first celebrity cruise ( but we were elite because of rccl) we were upgraded from a balcony to a aft sky suite , we have since been addicted to suites.

Edited by George C

We had three upgrades.  First was on a Caribbean cruise on QM2.  We wanted to try a sheltered balcony so I booked a gty B4 (class at the time)  Since there were very few of those, I knew we would get the next cat up, a B3.  We got three price drops, and my TA was uncomfortable with the gty and finally upgraded us to the B3 for $50pp.  A couple weeks before sailing I checked on the res. and we had been upgraded to the highest level of regular balcony ( but not Britannia Club).  Second time, we were booked on Celebrity Silhouette in a partially obstructed balcony (2C).  A week or so later, Celebrity offered a balcony gty for the price of an inside.  The $1200 savings was worth the chance we would get a fully obstructed balcony.  In fact, we were assigned a 2B unobstructed balcony in an excellent location.  Third was a calculated risk.  Booking an excellent rate for a Fantastica OV on MSC Seaside, I knew that with only 40 OV cabins in Fantastica experience, and 1200 balconies, our chance of an upgrade to a balcony were very good.  And so it happened.  EM

I've had 2.  The first was on Radiance of the Seas where I was upgraded from a balcony to a Grand Suite.  That was a 4 or 5 night cruise out of Tampa.  

But the best was on Nieuw Amsterdam where I was upgraded from a balcony to a Signature Suite.  That one was the best because it was a 13 night Mediterranean cruise.   

Edit....and THANK YOU for starting a non COVID related thread.  What a relief.  🙄

Edited by Aquahound
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, babs135 said:

Ok, so I'm kind of bored this morning and the news stinks (and not just about the virus) so I thought I'd start a light-hearted thread.

What's your best (free) upgrade?  Ours was from an inside cabin to a balcony on a transatlantic crossing on the QM2.  Best of all we didn't know until check-in when the lady behind the desk just casually said we'd been upgraded.  When we asked where to, she just smiled, handed us our sea passes and said 'enjoy'.  And we did!!!

Wow!...this brought back fond memories.

Ours was the same, just different ship.  Over 25 years ago, on the Pacific Princess, Asia cruise.

We were very young and all we could afford was an inside cabin. Yes, at check-in we were told we were upgraded. It was one of our longest sailings at the time and really enjoyed that balcony.

(That event made us loyal to Princess for years.)

8 hours ago, babs135 said:

Ours was on a HAL cruise from NY to Alaska .We booked an OV cabin and were upgraded to a balcony.

Nothing grand- just upgrades from inside to outside- once to a VERY obstructed outside...

Our best was the downgrade from a cabin behind the bridge (The ship had just returned from a world cruise, and the captain's family - parents, wife and his small children  were coming on board). The OBC was enormous, and there was even a cheque waiting when we returned... the downgrade was to a similar balcony cabin a few decks below.

• Like 1

In the inaugural year of Oasis if the Seas, I booked a suite guarantee. I was expecting a Junior Suite but much to my delight, they gave me a AquaTheater Suite. To this day, it’s one of the coolest suites I’ve ever had. 

• Like 2

On our last cruise, when the pax count reduced to 8, Viking provided all of us Explorer Suites. Spent 3 weeks in the Suite and it was huge. Very much appreciated, but would we do it again, probably not.

Other cruises, we have been offered a few upgrades, but have never accepted them, as they were always on higher decks, or further fwd/aft. DW doesn't like the motion, so we stick to our selected cabin midships.

On my 2nd or 3rd cruise on Aegean Odyssey I was upgraded to a "solo suite" from an inside cabin. The suite wasn't huge, really could only accommodate a solo -- but it had a nice long, if narrow balcony. On this tiny, older ship (330 pax), this was a rarity. I'd never have paid the outrageous cost on my own and can't say I got much use of the balcony, but it was certainly an upgrade.