June 1st announcement coming re: cruise protocol going forward

2 minutes ago, bmwman said:

But NCL have admitted (as have other lines) that they can not rule out the  Asymptomatic carrier and the CDC are therefore insisting on 100% testing on embarkation. Masks for passengers will be the norm. They have not said it but in the announcement they make it clear there  are more changes to come. The problem with this virus is the speed of its spread and once there is an outbreak all the measures announced will fail to stop the spread. Medical fact not a guess.

NCL are dong their best but even they can not fight an invisible enemy. 

One outbreak  on a cruise ship and all ports will close up it has been to.

WE need the virus to weaken or have a vaccine 

Kudos to NCL but there is a long way to go.

If ppl are waiting for a hundred percent guarantee things wont go pear shaped. They would be waiting forever. All they can do is put in more measures to prevent a disaster.  River cruises are starting up and they are not waiting for a vaccine . At some point we are going towards the law of diminishing returns.   

3 minutes ago, bmwman said:

But NCL have admitted (as have other lines) that they can not rule out the  Asymptomatic carrier and the CDC are therefore insisting on 100% testing on embarkation. Masks for passengers will be the norm. They have not said it but in the announcement they make it clear there  are more changes to come. The problem with this virus is the speed of its spread and once there is an outbreak all the measures announced will fail to stop the spread. Medical fact not a guess.

NCL are dong their best but even they can not fight an invisible enemy. 

One outbreak  on a cruise ship and all ports will close up it has been to.

WE need the virus to weaken or have a vaccine 

Kudos to NCL but there is a long way to go and gloves and or masks will be compulsory (Watch this space).

Your post lost some credibility when you suggested that gloves would be required.  It has been revealed by NUMEROUS medical sources that gloves provide absolutely no protection (in a non-medical environment) against COVID-19 or any other virus.  Unless you are changing your gloves every time you touch a new surface (you would go through about 100 pair of gloves per day), gloves spread germs and cross contaminate just as easily as bare hands.  If you are wearing gloves, I would suggest you stop doing so and concentrate on washing your hands so that you can better protect yourself against the many viruses and other germs out there in the world.

Also, there is some good news out of Italy today as the country's top infectious disease doctors have indicated that the virus has already began to weaken into a less deadly strain. 

As far as masks go, as I said in my previous post, I think the cruise lines would rather not sail then make these more drastic measures required.  Americans (many, perhaps not all) will not be too excited about spending 1000s of dollars to be required to wear masks on their vacation. 

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, mugtech said:

I don't pretend to know what I don't know.

11 minutes ago, Fredric22 said:

Your post lost some credibility when you suggested that gloves would be required.  It has been revealed by NUMEROUS medical sources that gloves provide absolutely no protection (in a non-medical environment) against COVID-19 or any other virus.  Unless you are changing your gloves every time you touch a new surface (you would go through about 100 pair of gloves per day), gloves spread germs and cross contaminate just as easily as bare hands.  If you are wearing gloves, I would suggest you stop doing so and concentrate on washing your hands so that you can better protect yourself against the many viruses and other germs out there in the world.

Also, there is some good news out of Italy today as the country's top infectious disease doctors have indicated that the virus has already began to weaken into a less deadly strain. 

As far as masks go, as I said in my previous post, I think the cruise lines would rather not sail then make these more drastic measures required.  Americans (many, perhaps not all) will not be too excited about spending 1000s of dollars to be required to wear masks on their vacation. 

I do not wear gloves or masks - I have already written that on another thread, Brits are not wearing on public transport shopping or anywhere. I keep out of public places shoppping delivered (drivers do not wear masks) .

I said NCL would mandate it. not that I agree. Why do all servers in buffets where gloves then? To say its loses credibility is the same as your comments about Italy. 

The italy news is not what it seems - Read the UK press and an emminent epdimeoligist. 

Those that where gloves think it is protecting them - which it is not I know . 

Edited by bmwman

5 minutes ago, bmwman said:

I do not wear gloves or masks - I have already written that on another thread, Brits are not wearing on public transport shopping or anywhere. I keep out of public places shoppping delivered (drivers do not wear masks) .

I said NCL would mandate it. not that I agree. Why do all servers in buffets where gloves then? To say its loses credibility is the same as your comments about Italy. 

The italy news is not what it seems - Read the UK press and an emminent epdimeoligist. 

Those that where gloves think it is protecting them - which it is not I know . 

Perhaps you are not familiar with what experts here in the US are advising.  Gloves are not being advised here and most people do not wear them.  The CDC would not require NCL to make guests wear gloves.  

You don't have to believe doctors in Italy, however, all over the world it is becoming more clear that COVID-19 is not as deadly as once thought.  Coronaviruses have a long history of getting weaker with time which may explain why countries that continue to open up have lowering death toll numbers.  After the UK believed a terrible modeling report and made a decision to close the country, I do not have much faith in anything coming out of the UK.  I sincerely hope you all can re-open your society soon before too much damage is done. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Fredric22 said:

Perhaps you are not familiar with what experts here in the US are advising.  Gloves are not being advised here and most people do not wear them.  The CDC would not require NCL to make guests wear gloves.  

You don't have to believe doctors in Italy, however, all over the world it is becoming more clear that COVID-19 is not as deadly as once thought.  Coronaviruses have a long history of getting weaker with time which may explain why countries that continue to open up have lowering death toll numbers.  After the UK believed a terrible modeling report and made a decision to close the country, I do not have much faith in anything coming out of the UK.  I sincerely hope you all can re-open your society soon before too much damage is done. 

- But there again I am not getting into politics as whatever we have I do not believe a word from your Whitehouse. so please do have a go at the UK when you have a far worst mess.

Sorry but what evidence do you have to prove that the UK believed a terrible modelling report. The same one as the leaders in scientific world - Israel?

Gloves are not advised here. Perhaps you are a bit too far away to comment 

Oh and perhaps you forgot to note that 57% of our wonderful NHS hospitals reported no deaths over the weekend.  And who says we are not opening up - what papers are your reading. The guardian? I have been at work throughout as have most of my clients. 

Edited by bmwman
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, mugtech said:

Hey Maplemoose, hope you come out to see us pull into Halifax in October.  I will fill you in on how it all is working, I'll be the guy with the Moody Blues face mask.  In Search of the Lost Chord

I am afraid I won't be seeing you as all ports in Canada are now closed for the year!  Just remember...22,000 days.....is all we got.....not a lot. If that isn't familiar, change your t-shirt! 😆

• Haha 1

50 minutes ago, Maplemoose said:

I am afraid I won't be seeing you as all ports in Canada are now closed for the year!  Just remember...22,000 days.....is all we got.....not a lot. If that isn't familiar, change your t-shirt! 😆

Yes, I am a long distance voyager.  We also got 22,000 nights.  Love to hear The Voice.

7 hours ago, BonnieJeanne said:

They added a July (Baltic I believe) cruise on the Escape just last week. It’s a new listing

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Fake news. It is on the website but when you go to book it shows it as completely sold out. Looks like an IT issue.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, sanger727 said:

Fake news. It is on the website but when you go to book it shows it as completely sold out. Looks like an IT issue.

Shocking, thought for sure they added it because they know something we don't.  Guess not.

10 hours ago, seaman11 said:

.....they might not tell us how they handle the bloke in front of me, im sure they will have other staff there to whisk them away or chuck them overboard. (jk)....

And what if you are 'the bloke', rather than the one in front or behind you....think about that! 😉

2 hours ago, hamrag said:

And what if you are 'the bloke', rather than the one in front or behind you....think about that! 😉

He was just kidding (jk).  Did you really take him seriously?

For those who are unwilling to accept the fact that there's more to be decided and done before cruises can resume operating in US waters and elsewhere, the following quotes are from an email I just received from NCL President and CEO Harry Sommer:

"We continue to work closely with the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and are developing even more stringent protocols to meet and exceed their standards once those have been finalized."

And:

"Moving forward, we expect to implement additional safety measures as we continue working with the CDC, global health organizations and domestic and international government agencies."

Edited by njhorseman
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, njhorseman said:

For those who are unwilling to accept the fact that there's more to be decided and done before cruises can resume operating in US waters and elsewhere, the following quotes are from an email I just received from NCL President and CEO Harry Sommer:

"We continue to work closely with the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and are developing even more stringent protocols to meet and exceed their standards once those have been finalized."

And:

"Moving forward, we expect to implement additional safety measures as we continue working with the CDC, global health organizations and domestic and international government agencies."

I don't think anyone has said that additional safety measures won't be taken.  Safety measures will continue to be updated as we move towards the future, as we learn more about the virus and as conditions change (as they continue to do so).  You may see more stringent measures and you may also see the relaxing of measures as treatments come online or if the virus becomes less of a threat to public health whether that is through vaccine access or through the virus' natural mutation to become less fatal.  

18 hours ago, seaman11 said:

We got an announcement, many were expecting super tight restrictions (not you), seems it wont be.  

There is no detail or specifics in the plan announcement.  Can't really support a statement that restrictions will or will not be "tight".  NCL put this out there for publicity alone and have left nothing but questions.  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, mugtech said:

He was just kidding (jk).  Did you really take him seriously?

Obviously not, in relation to the comment 'chuck them overboard' which clearly was the bit he was just kidding about! 😉

Thanks for your concern.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, harkinmr said:

There is no detail or specifics in the plan announcement.  Can't really support a statement that restrictions will or will not be "tight".  NCL put this out there for publicity alone and have left nothing but questions.  

It is marketing. It is there to encourage people to book cruises. "All will be to CDC guidelines and more",,,, well, that is an entry criteria to reopening your business. You CAN'T have less than CDC guidelines. "... and more" could be adding one more washy washy person at the gangway. 

• Like 3

13 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

It is marketing. It is there to encourage people to book cruises. "All will be to CDC guidelines and more",,,, well, that is an entry criteria to reopening your business. You CAN'T have less than CDC guidelines. "... and more" could be adding one more washy washy person at the gangway. 

Sir, Your comment is excellent and very well said . If you look at the style it is of course marketing but more over of course it can not be less so true - Thank you for your succinct and helpful comments. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Corliss said:

CDC unveils new grading system for cruise ships. It could help crew get home

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/business/tourism-cruises/article243180861.html

Please rethink using the extra large font in all of your posts.  It's unnecessary. It's bad netiquette and you can easily still get your point across without it.

Thanks!

1 hour ago, Corliss said:

And for those who don't bother to read the article fully, the grading system doesn't have anything to do with ships cruising with passengers. It's about repatriation of crew while the ships are not in service.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Corliss said:

I don't "use it."  I just cut and paste from the article and this is what comes up.  There may be a way of changing it; but I'm not aware of it.

It's pretty easy to change the size to something more acceptable.  Hi-light the text, click on font at the top of the texting window and choose a smaller font. 

example 1 - default

example 2 - 26

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Corliss said:

Once again CDC is showing how incredibly unfair they are to the cruise lines.  I love the quote, "If cruise lines EVER want to operate at full density again..."  as if that is some kind of threat.  Meanwhile, people across the country are gathering together in almost every city with no social distancing.  The CDC acts as though cruise ships created this virus.  Why isn't the CDC recommending commercial planes only fly at 90% less capacity then too?  The CDC needs some leadership changes and focus on how to safely but REASONABLY get our economy back.  I also find it interesting how the Miami Herald continues to write articles about the industry with a negative slant, when the local South Florida economy relies so heavily on cruise tourism.  

I have found that this paper seems to enjoy beating up on the cruise industry. They are making it sound like there are massive outbreaks still on the ships all these ships. When the CDC comes out with the list of ship that are green, or red we can see how bad it is.