Riviera in January 2021. Would you book?

Roccaforte

We really miss cruising.  Would you take a chance on a January cruise?  There are great deals out there and we’re looking at an Oceania Suite.  Am I being too optimistic?  Living in a red zone state gives me too much time to spend pouring over brochures.

53 minutes ago, Roccaforte said:

We really miss cruising.  Would you take a chance on a January cruise?  There are great deals out there and we’re looking at an Oceania Suite.  Am I being too optimistic?  Living in a red zone state gives me too much time to spend pouring over brochures.

That is really a matter of your comfort level.  Some will not cruise until a vaccine is found, so at least a year or more away.  While others feel comfortable cruise as soon a ports are open.  What others do does not matter.  What matters is what you feel comfortable with.  

• Like 1

I might  consider a Jan cruise  even if  no stops  happen  as long as precautions are in place  in the event  of an outbreak

But  it is still  a big mystery  what  things will be like in the future of cruising

At some point  "Normal" life  has to begin

We are booked for Dec 20 to Jan 3. But will not make final payment in August. No chance of lift and shift as there is not a comparable cruise for next year on the Riviera. At least I don't think so. Not even sure of O does lift and shift. 

57 minutes ago, jonthomas said:

We are booked for Dec 20 to Jan 3. But will not make final payment in August. No chance of lift and shift as there is not a comparable cruise for next year on the Riviera. At least I don't think so. Not even sure of O does lift and shift. 

I think that is a RCL & Celebrity thing. 

While, as others have said, it depends on your comfort level, I would. Currently booked on Riviera for mid-December again, and am keeping my fingers crossed that it sails. The fact that Riviera is sailing from a US port to standard Caribbean ports makes me a bit more optimistic that she'll sail. (Opinion and wishful thinking only, of course.)

I would not. The cruise will likely go BUT - some ports may not be open, your ability to get suitable insurance may be different, the onboard experience will be different - but you don't yet know to what extent.  As others have said, only you can say what your level of comfort is.

We aren't currently booked on anything so my answer is no, I wouldn't trust that everything will be back to normal by then.  If it is, I could book then.

I still have the problem of leaving DH home alone ... Not because he depends on my presence so much but because of his vision problems which is why he no longer wants to travel.

But I'm with PaulChili ... I'd want a dependable vaccine on hand before I sail again.

Mura

• Like 1

Like Mura and Paul, I also am a “no” right now and waiting for a vaccine.  

In addition, at this point in time, I have no idea whatsoever what modifications will be made to the Riviera onboard experience for health reasons.  

Adding both factors together, the stress I would endure over the months prior to sailing simply outweighs the possible benefit IMO.  

Edited by CintiPam

3 minutes ago, jonthomas said:

How would you get to final pay 30 days before when it is 120 now, without penalty?

You simply wouldn't book it until 30 days before. You're either going to get a really good deal or possibly be shut out. You never know. 

• Like 1

Ah yes that makes sense. But we have a dec 20-jan 3, 2020 booked and final pay is mid Aug...that is what I meant by not making final payment and cant move it to anything else. Only Celeb has that lift and shift policy, to my knowledge, so will need to cancel. Too bad since it was booked on board with additional benefits. 

We are booked on Riviera Jan 27 for 20 days and if the COVID-19 situation has not deteriorated and the ship is sailing, we plan to be on it.
Our August 2 2020 cruise will most likely be cancelled and we will take the 125% credit and use that to make the final payment for January.

It will probably be a different style of cruising to previously, but one we are willing to try.

9 minutes ago, Baz-t said:

We are booked on Riviera Jan 27 for 20 days and if the COVID-19 situation has not deteriorated and the ship is sailing, we plan to be on it.
Our August 2 2020 cruise will most likely be cancelled and we will take the 125% credit and use that to make the final payment for January.

It will probably be a different style of cruising to previously, but one we are willing to try.

Isn't the FCC only applicable for new bookings? In Belgium (also UK office) it is.

John

January 2021 sounds more than safe to me. The only problem with it is that it will be one very boring cruise cause its not really a season to travel in January. Moreover, these cruises will be almost empty in my opinion cause people prefer to stay at home and go to work in January to make up for all the purchases they made for Christmas and New Years. 

6 minutes ago, Roger88 said:

January 2021 sounds more than safe to me. The only problem with it is that it will be one very boring cruise cause its not really a season to travel in January. Moreover, these cruises will be almost empty in my opinion cause people prefer to stay at home and go to work in January to make up for all the purchases they made for Christmas and New Years. 

Depends  where you are cruising

we have done several cruises in Jan  mostly Panama/Caribbean  but  a nice break from the winter here

36 minutes ago, jonthomas said:

Ah yes that makes sense. But we have a dec 20-jan 3, 2020 booked and final pay is mid Aug...that is what I meant by not making final payment and cant move it to anything else. Only Celeb has that lift and shift policy, to my knowledge, so will need to cancel. Too bad since it was booked on board with additional benefits. 

I thought you could move the  booking 

Do you have the paperwork  for  when you bought the cruise onboard??

Maybe check the fine print    even if you had an FCC you can move it  once  I believe

We are booked on the Marina leaving Miami on December 5, 2020 for thirty-four days.  We understand that there will be major changes such as social distancing in dining rooms and masks when out of the cabin.  We are of a certain age, but I'm tired of staying home and want to travel while we can.  If it all falls apart, we are still booked on a trip to India in September, 2021, and a world cruise in Jan. 2022.

35 minutes ago, Roger88 said:

The only problem with it is that it will be one very boring cruise cause its not really a season to travel in January.

January is summer in Southern hemisphere - perfect time to cruise in S. America, Singapore, Thailand, Australia, N.Z. etc (if one wishes to).

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Paulchili said:

January is summer in Southern hemisphere - perfect time to cruise in S. America, Singapore, Thailand, Australia, N.Z. etc (if one wishes to).

Not to mention that the Caribbean has historically been full of full cruise ships in Jan & Feb. Lots of people like to get out of the cold.