Oceania Health Safety and Wellness at Sea Protocols (Phase one)

ToxM

Good to see they have a plan

I think the new HEPA  system should have been done years ago but at least it will help going forward

Now  what ports will allow the ships/Pax  in ??

Amazing new procedures!  Looks like they’re doing everything they can to prevent any outbreaks of Covid or Norovirus.   Interesting that they are increasing the medical staff.   I’ll be waiting to hear from passengers on the first of O’s sailings.  Anyone know when they expect to  resume their schedule?

Interesting enough, but yesterday I was reading one of the industry’s reports. Consensus was that European and Asian ports would open up before American ones.

The US CDC had yet to give any details to cruise lines of any requirements they may have in order to sail again. The cruise lines can’t meet CDC directives if the CDC hasn’t announced!

• Like 1

Very positive actions.  Wonder though what the reduced capacity of passengers will work out too.  And how they will ensure protocols will extend to excursions sub contracts?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GICNJC said:

Wonder though what the reduced capacity of passengers will work out too.  

How will reduce D capacity be implemented? Across the cabin categories   reductions, or overall capacity cuts. Hard to believe they’d not sell a PH, because of capacity controls, yet sell an inside D cabin! How many people do we ever meet in the hallway?

With all the people on this board swearing off cruising for years, perhaps maintainability of capacity control may not be difficult! Getting people cruising again is the current larger problem!

27 minutes ago, pinotlover said:

How will reduce D capacity be implemented? Across the cabin categories   reductions, or overall capacity cuts. Hard to believe they’d not sell a PH, because of capacity controls, yet sell an inside D cabin! How many people do we ever meet in the hallway?

With all the people on this board swearing off cruising for years, perhaps maintainability of capacity control may not be difficult! Getting people cruising again is the current larger problem!

People on this board may be swearing off cruising but the bookings for Oceania are way up..many cabin categories sold out for Tahiti..

Jancruz1

52 minutes ago, pinotlover said:

How will reduce D capacity be implemented? Across the cabin categories   reductions, or overall capacity cuts. Hard to believe they’d not sell a PH, because of capacity controls, yet sell an inside D cabin!

Where  are you seeing inside D cabins?

If someone were to start a wish-list for health & safety upgrades, one of my first requests would be to sort out the laundry/s - a hot bed of swirling heat and unknown  bodies  😱 where you are shut up in a little room in the centre of the ship.....

image.png

Edited by HilsTas
Emoji
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, HilsTas said:

If someone were to start a wish-list for health & safety upgrades, one of my first requests would be to sort out the laundry/s - a hot bed of swirling heat and unknown bodies where you are shut up in a little room in the centre of the ship.

They probably will be closed  so no worries

Then your clothes will be mixed in with others in a wash with who knows what germs  🙄

Or maybe they could move the laundry rooms  to one of the  OS  with a nice balcony to sit on while you wait  😉

• Like 2

The heat the ship uses to wash the guests ‘  clothing is hot enough to kill anything.  I agree, using the laundry room could be a bed of germs.  I suspect some of the inside cabins on the lowest decks will become crew quarters to allow for more social distancing.  Guests who book these cabins may get an automatic upgrade?

I would expect the reductions in passenger capacity to be minimal.  Perhaps limited to the extra cabins needed to house additional personnel and isolation area.  Probably less than a handful of cabins.

Not sure I like the idea of someone daily spraying a "non-toxic" fog in my cabin.

I would expect the reductions in passenger capacity to be minimal.  Perhaps limited to the extra cabins needed to house additional personnel and isolation area.  Probably less than a handful of cabins.

Not sure I like the idea of someone daily spraying a "non-toxic" fog in my cabin.

Just booked the accessible inside on Deck 4 which is connected by a door to the medical centre, this is on Sirena. Interested to see what happens to our booking - this is for May next year.

2 hours ago, ToxM said:

Just booked the accessible inside on Deck 4 which is connected by a door to the medical centre, this is on Sirena. Interested to see what happens to our booking - this is for May next year.

I’ve got to believe that may be the first one to go.

I'm very happy about the HEPA system.  Every O cruise I've been on has taken me to the infirmary where I've needed help breathing.  I swore things went through the a/c system and right into my lungs.  

I am in the air filter business, have been for 36 years. The filters Oceania is using are not true HEPA filters. This is a marketing gimmick, it is a false claim. But it will make people feel better. MERV 13 filters are an upgrade and won't hurt anything but they won't really do much for any of the larger rooms/venues. A lot of these kind of protocols are nothing but pandemic theater, set dressing. They give the illusion of doing something but really don't.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, susiesan said:

I am in the air filter business, have been for 36 years. The filters Oceania is using are not true HEPA filters. This is a marketing gimmick, it is a false claim. But it will make people feel better. MERV 13 filters are an upgrade and won't hurt anything but they won't really do much for any of the larger rooms/venues. A lot of these kind of protocols are nothing but pandemic theater, set dressing. They give the illusion of doing something but really don't.

Doesn't surprise me at all. Many of the things they're touting are things already in place, just a twist on the description. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, ORV said:

Doesn't surprise me at all. Many of the things they're touting are things already in place, just a twist on the description. 

I believe that they are doing the best they can trying to stay in business and give us an opportunity to sail with them again like we used to do before this difficult time to everybody. Whether or not to support them with your booking is a personal choice that depends on one’s beliefs and desires.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, KirkNC said:

I would expect the reductions in passenger capacity to be minimal.

Curious why you expect that when states are mandating usually around 50% reductions.

15 minutes ago, clo said:

Curious why you expect that when states are mandating usually around 50% reductions.

Because the economic model of a cruise ship won't work at 50% capacity unless they double fares.  Plus the 50% you are referring to is in restaurants, stores etc not in a home or hotel room.  I do believe they will do some measures in "spread people out" in public places.