A cruise industry nightmare that could happen

datolim

What if the other countries don't accept their ships.

There are already indications of this from Canada and Australia.

The US would continue to host their ships because of their strong lobby group, CLIA.

Would the benefits of accepting their ships outweigh the scourge from the virus.

Edited by datolim

I think this is the least of their worries.  To restart and have a successful cruise even if it was a cruise to nowhere is the goal.  There are Caribbean islands that cruising is a huge part of their economy and will welcome ships.  

This is a day by day, step by step process.   Cruising is not going to resume at full capacity sailing to every port right away.  Its going to be a slow and very long process to go back to somewhat normal.

• Like 6

I think you'll see the traditional cruise ports in the Caribbean, Bahamas and Mexico agree to open up pretty quickly.  These economies depend so heavily on the tourism dollars, I don't see them giving the lines much trouble about coming back.

• Like 6

14 minutes ago, F27TW said:

I think you'll see the traditional cruise ports in the Caribbean, Bahamas and Mexico agree to open up pretty quickly.  These economies depend so heavily on the tourism dollars, I don't see them giving the lines much trouble about coming back.

If the Caribbean is anything like Bermuda they are saying not so fast

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Many of the island nations (Bahamas, US Virgin Islands, British Virgin Islands, Barbados, St. Kitts, St. Lucia, etc.) have already begun re-opening to land based vacationers and have stated they are ready to welcome cruise passengers as soon as the cruise industry is ready/able to bring them.

Mexico, Belize, Honduras and Caribbean islands rely heavily on tourism dollars to survive and they need those visitors as quickly as can be in the safest manner possible.

• Like 2

Those countries which prohibit the ships from coming will lose out on the very significant economic benefits commensurate with hosting cruise ships. Its a choice they will make.  Other traditional countries know that the ongoing damage to their country's economy, and poverty, is far more damaging than covid-19; particularly in light of the truth about covid-19, being revealed by those who follow the science and math.

I would like to cruise to Canada one day, but there will be plenty of other options which will work equally as well.  Maybe other new ports of call will seize the opportunity and will become new homes to the cruise industry.  Hope so. 

• Like 6

Even the poorest of countries quickly closed their ports when the pandemic seemed like it might be on a ship. I would imagine they would likely do so quickly once again if the virus flared up on any ship. Bottom line: these poor countries aren't risking their populations, and they don't have the health care facilities to take care of any cruiser who might need immediate medical attention.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

IMO we are in the midst of a cruise industry nightmare of the worst kind already.  If one port closes, another somewhere else will open.

I think you’ve been watching too much Sound of Music...

Maria - Where the Lord closes a door, somewhere He opens a window.

I wouldn’t anticipate any country reopening its ports to general cruise traffic if neighbouring countries keep theirs closed i.e. within about 1000 miles!

The Caribbean is one thing but with most of Europe starting to return to normal with very few cases I can't see many european countries opening borders to any country with a high infection rate any time soon, certainly not without a 14 day without quarantine.

There is talk in Europe of opening "air bridges" where you can travel directly from one country to another without quarantine, this however relies on both countries having a low infection rate.

The point being there will be no entry for any country with high virus levels.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Laszlo said:

If the Caribbean is anything like Bermuda they are saying not so fast

The Caribbean islands and the Bahamas will be far more welcoming than Bermuda. Bermuda is extremely restrictive in their government. They even restrict the amount of car allowed on their island. Bermuda will be one of the last countries to open to tourism.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, pinkie60 said:

The Caribbean islands and the Bahamas will be far more welcoming than Bermuda. Bermuda is extremely restrictive in their government. They even restrict the amount of car allowed on their island. Bermuda will be one of the last countries to open to tourism.

Yes, I know all about Bermuda. The can afford to be more restrict 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, david_sobe said:

I think this is the least of their worries.  To restart and have a successful cruise even if it was a cruise to nowhere is the goal.  There are Caribbean islands that cruising is a huge part of their economy and will welcome ships.  

This is a day by day, step by step process.   Cruising is not going to resume at full capacity sailing to every port right away.  Its going to be a slow and very long process to go back to somewhat normal.

Don't be so sure about Caribbean Islands willing to accept cruise ships. A few dozen Covid cases and anything they gain economically is gone in a heart beat in treatment costs.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, F27TW said:

I seriously doubt this to be true. I believe that they are going to be very hesitant to open. A few cases could devastate an island's economy.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, RaftingJeremy said:

A lot of the Caribbean has already made some decisions on when ships will be allowed back.  As of now the only firm no is grand cayman.  

Really?  Can you point me in the direction where I can find that information?  My searches indicate they’re all pretty much closed with no indication of when they’ll be reopening.

• Like 1

The big question is if when places will accept tourists again do they want to get back to 10k+ day tourists that run over the place for a few hours to get burned in the sun and buy cheap alcohol and food before going back to their all inclusive floating hotel and leave for dinner.

I hope it will change the tourism into more sustainable quality tourism. That doesn't rule out cruising per se but enhance the experience in all aspects. Would be a benefit for the islands as well.

To me the real question is which islands/destinations the cruise ships will want to go to. Mexico has a lot of cases at this point. Bringing the virus onboard a cruise ship from a port would not be good. Think some of the destinations will need to prove that they have the virus under control before ships will stop there. Also, we still have many cases and deaths daily in the US. With all the rest of the mess going on right now that seems to have gotten lost in the news. If I were another country not sure I would want tourists from the US coming in anytime soon - even if they contribute to their economy.

I know someone who went to Tobago sometime this winter. He is still stuck there. The airport will not fly back home to the US. (I'm not sure if it's closed to everywhere). He was not even allowed to go out to the beach in front of his house - not sure if that's been lifted yet.

It's at least a 3-way intersection that needs to tangle dance with ideal timing ... 1) country(s) where the cruiseline/ship is sailing/embarking from;

2) port destination/country where the ship is calling/stopping or visiting (that include those private islands ... where it is "easier" to isolate, shield and trace in the event of an outbreak, assuming that there is full disclosure & transparency, from a public health standpoint); and,

3) cruiseline(s) with an approved plan satisfactory and acceptable under CDC, WHO, and, (probably) insurance underwriting (not to mention, public health & border control/immigation authorities, etc.

In the past, cruise ships with suspected/reported norovirus outbreak are mandated to report to CDC when sailing to (from) US ports and we know that these ships had been refused docking/entry into ports on a last minute basis, no prior warnings and simply sail onward or return to home port earlier.    

With this highly contagious virus, just as eager that some of the Caribbean ports (and elsewhere) are ready and rolling out the red carpets to welcome cruise ship passengers and tourists - it won't take much for any friendly ports to pull up the gangways and lock up the harbor, refusing permission for ships to dock and/or anchor.  We all know that these smaller island nations are limited in advance medical care with limited ICU beds and not equipped for any sort of massive disease outbreak ... not to mention that it can possibly overwhelm their healthcare system very quickly.  

The other elements that is under discussion in Europe and Asia is the concept of establishing green channel, safe passage for passport holders of specific countries/nationalities - to travel and/or transit within the network of hubs (airports, cruise ports and rail/bus terminals, etc.)   These scheme could, possibly, simply exclude anyone holding, i.e. USA, UK and/or Brazil passports, etc. from being permitted to fly, board a train/rail or bus or a cruise ship, etc. that cross national boundaries - regardless of recent travel history and/or immunity/vaccination status, etc. 

Just saw a news flash that Carnival's Princess line has announced that they are further extending their no sail status, offering their guests the option to request a refund or FCC with 25% bonus, etc.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, d9704011 said:

Really?  Can you point me in the direction where I can find that information?  My searches indicate they’re all pretty much closed with no indication of when they’ll be reopening.

Bahamas is opening July 1

mexico has recently released statements saying they would open their ports and welcome tourists the same time.  
the Virgin Islands opened June 1.  
Jamaica has said they will open July 1 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, RaftingJeremy said:

Bahamas is opening July 1

mexico has recently released statements saying they would open their ports and welcome tourists the same time.  
the Virgin Islands opened June 1.  
Jamaica has said they will open July 1 

Many were thinking cruising wouldnt return this summer and that No ports would welcome them back.  They are in for a shock in the next few months.