Cancelation fee imposed by TA

53 minutes ago, fb0075 said:

Everyone is missing the point!!! This was my 150th cruise that was cancelled and I have no problem with the $99 fee if I cancel as they do move credit to another booking-----

The problem is I did NOT cancel--Celebrity did and to keep the deposit is THIEVERY!!

FRANK

I will be calling amex today

You have had 150 cruises cancelled???? That is VERY impressive. 

9 minutes ago, BND said:

Celebrity?  You do know you're on the RCI board, right?   If you'd said that up front, I think you might have been told to ask on the Celebrity board as what happened doesn't apply to RCI.

They actually would as the issue is with the TA charging a $100 penalty.  Doesn't matter what cruise line its on. Both Royal and Celebrity are paying TA's commissions on cruises that they cancel.

24 minutes ago, BND said:

Celebrity?  You do know you're on the RCI board, right?   If you'd said that up front, I think you might have been told to ask on the Celebrity board as what happened doesn't apply to RCI.

YOU do know that RCL OWNS CELEBRITY!!!!!

I begrudgingly booked a cruise before all this started. They had a group rate significantly cheaper than anyone else and gave an extra $200/room as OBC. The way I looked at it is that the group rate was a refundable rate and the rates I normally book are non refundable.

In the current climate, I won't be with an agency that charges a cancellation fee.

1 hour ago, fb0075 said:

YOU do know that RCL OWNS CELEBRITY!!!!!

Yes, but Carnival Corporation owns Princess, Holland America, Costa and other lines and they all are independent  regarding FCC's and all of the nonsense going on.

6 hours ago, SNJCruisers said:

Yes, but Carnival Corporation owns Princess, Holland America, Costa and other lines and they all are independent  regarding FCC's and all of the nonsense going on.

????????

1 hour ago, fb0075 said:

????????

You mentioned that RCL owns Celebrity,  implying that they are the same.  I just mentioned as a comparison that Carnival  Corporation owns various cruise lines that are independent of one another.

40 minutes ago, taglovestocruise said:

You left out their Crown Jewel, Cunard.

I did mention "other", and I believe that Seabourn would be their Crown Jewel.

14 hours ago, SRF said:

Except that there are TAs that give awesome service and DO NOT CHARGE FEES.

Your choice......

My agent never charges a fee and I've cancelled several cruises.  Also, gives excellent perks.  I would not use an agent who charges a fee. I've also heard of agents who charge for any changes to a boooking. 

On 6/7/2020 at 9:00 PM, stevea36 said:

No TA should be charging a cancellation fee for cruises that RCI cancelled due to the pandemic.  They are receiving full commission from RCI, as if you actually sailed, so they are not losing a penny (as they would if you cancel).

In my mind, it is just not good business !!!

Whilst RC should be paying commission I called them today to find out where our port fees and taxes refund was and they said it was on hold as they were trying to recall commission from TA even though commission is supposed to be protected.

3 hours ago, fb0075 said:

Understand, but my refund came from RCL!!

You mentioned in your original post that your problem was with Celebrity and even though Celebrity is owned by RCL they are separate entities and they do not do all things the same.   Just like Carnival Corp owns the various lines I mentioned, they all run things their own way.  The FCC procedure is totally different on Carnival versus Princess.

My TA charged a fee to book, but no cancellation fees. They worked tirelessly with my cruise lines to make changes, get lower prices, get refunds, book and rebook cruises. In all situations, calls were 1.5-2.5 hours to complete. I know they get a commission from the cruise lines, but the $25 was a pittance compared to what they saved me, the amount of time they worked,  and gave me as OBC.

5 hours ago, bigrednole said:

My TA charged a fee to book, but no cancellation fees. They worked tirelessly with my cruise lines to make changes, get lower prices, get refunds, book and rebook cruises. In all situations, calls were 1.5-2.5 hours to complete. I know they get a commission from the cruise lines, but the $25 was a pittance compared to what they saved me, the amount of time they worked,  and gave me as OBC.

A few to book?? That’s insane

21 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Some do to be guaranteed a certain income.

Take a really cheap cruise like Jan 1 2021 on the Navigator.

Total cruise cost $532.

Commission $25.36

So this post tells me why I have gotten no "perks" from my TA then, lol.  My husband and I typically research cruises to the nth degree for these types of deals (so we can cruise at least twice a year and still be able to take little trips throughout).  I wondered why I kept seeing all these posts about amazing perks from TA's yet I have not seen any.  Granted our cruises have been from $655-1500 so no big prize but still...  Of course to be fair he did send us a gift card to a local restaurant for $25 when I sent a $10,000 booking his way😄🤷‍♀️

10 minutes ago, MandyMooToo said:

So this post tells me why I have gotten no "perks" from my TA then, lol.  My husband and I typically research cruises to the nth degree for these types of deals (so we can cruise at least twice a year and still be able to take little trips throughout).  I wondered why I kept seeing all these posts about amazing perks from TA's yet I have not seen any.  Granted our cruises have been from $655-1500 so no big prize but still...  Of course to be fair he did send us a gift card to a local restaurant for $25 when I sent a $10,000 booking his way😄🤷‍♀️

Exactly.  People booking suites can get significant OBC as the TA may give  the OBC out of their commission.  Even on a $1500 booking there is not a lot of commission and if the TA shares it with a franchisee there is even less.  On line agencies typically offer the most as they have low overhead and work on volume.  

If you can find a TA that has group space you can end up with some decent OBC.  For example that booking in an inside cabin would get $100 in OBC that comes from Royal.  $50 for the group and an extra $50 for booking more than 6 months in advance.  Unfortunately the extra $50 for booking 6 months in advance is not combinable with a balcony discount.

Edited by Ourusualbeach
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, not-enough-cruising said:

A fee to book?? That’s insane

1 hour ago, not-enough-cruising said:

Wow, have never encountered that, not sure I would partake, but that’s just me. 

There is a conglomerate agency that is online under multiple websites that charges 25.00 when you book.  It's right there in the fine print at the bottom of the page.  They have been in business for years, so obviously it works for them since they make things up in volume and the extra 25 just adds to their bottom line.  Savvy buyers stay away, but obviously they are profitable.

20 minutes ago, SNJCruisers said:

There is a conglomerate agency that is online under multiple websites that charges 25.00 when you book.  It's right there in the fine print at the bottom of the page.  They have been in business for years, so obviously it works for them since they make things up in volume and the extra 25 just adds to their bottom line.  Savvy buyers stay away, but obviously they are profitable.

Fascinating, 25 years cruising and I still learn something new every day.

Thanks all

On 6/8/2020 at 6:05 AM, Cruise a holic said:

This is why my DH and I prefer to book directly.  Not that in this environment the Cruise lines might not go out of business!  But we also always book with a very reliable credit card.

Not worth a free dinner or small perk to loose your deposit or worse!

"Free dinner or small perk'.

I once got particular voyage, I had 2 cabins for our family of 4.

We go free gratuities = $360

Liquor package for 2 & soda package for 2.

$150 OBC for each cabin.

And if I have an issue I don't have to sit on hold for a crazy length of time waiting for someone answer.    I just let the TA do it.

And they don't have cancellation fee's....

But your method sounds like a good deal....

Edited by matj2000