Anthem - 2 Balconies vs Junior Suite

Looking at booking a backup cruise in case our current plan doesn't go ahead with potentially more covid cancellations (This Dec on Anthem isn't looking overly promising).

We are looking at Anthem for March 2022 with out 2 kids (pre-teen and a teen).  Normally we stick with a promenade or a balcony room, but for what we've saved from our cancelled cruises, I figure we can pay a bit more and treat ourselves.

Deciding between 2 connecting balcony rooms or a Junior Suite on deck 9.   These JS rooms have a sofa bed and a pullman bed.

Cost is the same.

One question

Do the JS rooms on deck 9 (e.g. room 9210) have 1.5 bathrooms (one toilet/sink and another toilet/sink/shower) or just a single bathroom?

Opinions?

What would others pick for a family of 4?  We would have become diamond after completing our original booked cruises had we not had a couple of them cancelled, so double points are a bonus.  I've heard very good things about Coastal Kitchen.  But having said that, our son loves the MDR with same waiters and assigned table, so it's hard to get him to be happy going elsewhere for dinner.

On the flip side, our kids would each get a regular bed, 2 full bathrooms is a bonus (esp as we typically shower before dinner so would save time).  And I assume we have more chance of a price drop on 2 balcony rooms vs a JS, as JS seem to only increase in price (and 2 rooms are only so pricey due to the refundable difference).

Thoughts?

1 hour ago, firefly333 said:

I havent been on that ship but js I have seen are just bigger balcony rooms. Plus a bathtub instead of a shower. Arm chair or two. Other than arm chair just bigger than a regular balcony cabin. 

Yes true.  Didn't even notice but you are right.  The JS balconies are bigger.  Not sure that is a huge deal for us, especially as it's a March cruise out of New Jersey (so cold at the start and end of the cruise), but a good point.

1 hour ago, John&LaLa said:

Two cabins os nice, but a JS gets you dinner in CK

Yeah, I've heard very good things about CK. Will be hard to convince our son to go there as he's a big MDR fan 😉

Hi

We have been on Anthem several times.  

For Coastal Kitchen - normally we would sit with the same waiter each night so you get that same connection like you mention from the dining room.   I have pictures of meals in Coastal Kitchen and the menu if you want to look at them also in my linked reviews.  And if you see something you want on the dining room menu, they are happy to bring it to you in Coastal Kitchen.

There are three different types of junior suites on Anthem.  

Our favorite is the J1 - Junior Suite with Large Balcony.   It’s a large room with a great balcony with actual lounge chairs (rather than a chair with a foot stool).  There is one bathroom with a tub with shower wand.

They don’t call them this anymore - but the other two are the spa junior suite (I think it’s now a J4) or the family junior suite (now a J3 I think).  The difference is the spa junior suite sort of has two bathrooms - one has a toilet and sink, the other has a tub, shower, and sink.  The family junior suite I believe also has two bathrooms but I think each one has a toilet.  I’ve never stayed in the family junior suite (J3).

I’ve done reviews with pictures of most of our Anthem cruises if you want to take a look at some of the different junior suites and balconies.  They are linked in my signature.  I’ll summarize here so you can easily find what you are looking for.  I just focused on the Anthem cruises that have pictures of the cabins (some more pictures than others)

January 2017 - J1 Junior Suite Large Balcony #8232 - cabin pics start on post #12

July 2017 - Balcony #9246 - cabin pics start post #9

August 2017 - Balcony #9644 - cabin pics start post #7

January 2018 - Grand Suite with Large Balcony #8634 - cabin pics start post #23

February 2019 - J1 Junior Suite Large Balcony #8632 - cabin pics start post #11

June 2019 - J1 Junior Suite Large Balcony #10232 - cabin pics start post #11 (there are more cabin pics throughout as I decorated the cabin for my husbands birthday)

August 2019 - J4 Spa Junior Suite #7640 - cabin pics start post #9

Since you asked opinions on two balcony cabins vs one junior suite (for 4 people) -  I would go with the two balconies  so everyone has some space and two full bathrooms.

If you have any questions feel free to ask.  I love talking about cruises.

Noreen

Edited by Noreen411
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, LeeW said:

Unless you need the bathtub, two rooms/bathrooms beats one for a group of four people any day.  

46 minutes ago, vegas7df said:

2 baths is better than just one for that many people.  I'd get the 2 cabins vs. the Jr. Suite.

Yeah, this is what I'm thinking....just for being more efficient pre-dinner time.  

No need for a bathtub as our kids are older.

4 hours ago, Noreen411 said:

Hi

We have been on Anthem several times.  

For Coastal Kitchen - normally we would sit with the same waiter each night so you get that same connection like you mention from the dining room.   I have pictures of meals in Coastal Kitchen and the menu if you want to look at them also in my linked reviews.  And if you see something you want on the dining room menu, they are happy to bring it to you in Coastal Kitchen.

There are three different types of junior suites on Anthem.  

Our favorite is the J1 - Junior Suite with Large Balcony.   It’s a large room with a great balcony with actual lounge chairs (rather than a chair with a foot stool).  There is one bathroom with a tub with shower wand.

They don’t call them this anymore - but the other two are the spa junior suite (I think it’s now a J4) or the family junior suite (now a J3 I think).  The difference is the spa junior suite sort of has two bathrooms - one has a toilet and sink, the other has a tub, shower, and sink.  The family junior suite I believe also has two bathrooms but I think each one has a toilet.  I’ve never stayed in the family junior suite (J3).

I’ve done reviews with pictures of most of our Anthem cruises if you want to take a look at some of the different junior suites and balconies.  They are linked in my signature.  I’ll summarize here so you can easily find what you are looking for.  I just focused on the Anthem cruises that have pictures of the cabins (some more pictures than others)

January 2017 - J1 Junior Suite Large Balcony #8232 - cabin pics start on post #12

July 2017 - Balcony #9246 - cabin pics start post #9

August 2017 - Balcony #9644 - cabin pics start post #7

January 2018 - Grand Suite with Large Balcony #8634 - cabin pics start post #23

February 2019 - J1 Junior Suite Large Balcony #8632 - cabin pics start post #11

June 2019 - J1 Junior Suite Large Balcony #10232 - cabin pics start post #11 (there are more cabin pics throughout as I decorated the cabin for my husbands birthday)

August 2019 - J4 Spa Junior Suite #7640 - cabin pics start post #9

Since you asked opinions on two balcony cabins vs one junior suite (for 4 people) -  I would go with the two balconies  so everyone has some space and two full bathrooms.

If you have any questions feel free to ask.  I love talking about cruises.

Noreen

Noreen, thank you!  Very helpful post.  I remember reading your Anthem reviews .  The room photos really help.  It looks like the JS on deck 9 are J3.  And i remember your "trademark" photo each night of your husband holding the menu at Coastal Kitchen. 🙂 Good to know you do end up with the same waiter and can get food items from the MDR if wanted.  Thanks so much.

33 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

If the kids are over 10 then hands down 2 cabins. 

I'm seeing 2 balconies being over $2000 less expensive than a JS.....take the balconies, no way the JS is worth that much over 2 balconies. 

Thanks.  I'm looking at March break in 2022 (replacing Oasis if we went with this back up plan).  The cost of 2 connecting ocean view (some on deck 8 are a bit less) refundable is $225 less than one junior suite.  Neither is cheap.

The more I think about it, the more I'm thinking 2 balcony rooms.

Edited by LuCruise

Just now, LuCruise said:

Thanks.  I'm looking at March break in 2022 (replacing Oasis if we went with this back up plan).  The cost of 2 connecting ocean view (some on deck 8 are a bit less) refundable is $225 less than one junior suite.  Both pricey though. .

Sorry, I was looking at 2021 for the $2000 difference.

You should shop around.  For 2022 There’s a $1400 difference (Before any balcony discounts) between the two (refundable).  Find a TA with group space.  

8 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Sorry, I was looking at 2021 for the $2000 difference.

You should shop around.  For 2022 There’s a $1400 difference (Before any balcony discounts) between the two (refundable).  Find a TA with group space.  

Thanks. 🙂

• Like 1

Just going on experience on Ovation,

coastal kitchen is a lovely venue and makes the cruise that little better.

Its fine dining which I not real keen on but they do off menu.They did a couple of things from windjammers.
You also get access to the suite sun deck with JS,sometimes there’s drinks on the sun deck.

CK would be your decision you would have to make.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, LuCruise said:

Yes true.  Didn't even notice but you are right.  The JS balconies are bigger.  Not sure that is a huge deal for us, especially as it's a March cruise out of New Jersey (so cold at the start and end of the cruise), but a good point.

Yeah, I've heard very good things about CK. Will be hard to convince our son to go there as he's a big MDR fan 😉

You are on vacation, do both.

• Haha 1

I was in a JS3 on deck 10 - directly above the block you are looking at. Spacious cabin, 1.5 bathrooms, tub/shower in one, refrigerator, lots of storage space. We had two dinners in Coastal Kitchen, which were wonderful. Nice sized balcony, made even better because my daughter was in the next cabin, and we were able to have the divider opened. JS also includes a kettle - important for a tea-drinker like me. 

In retrospect, my husband, adult daughter, and I probably would have been fine in one JS, but she wanted her own bathroom, and, since this cruise was for her, it worked out.

We have just ben through the exact same conundrum on Anthem 

We booked Guaranteed suite ,  it was same price of 2 connecting balconies . Following a post on here, I called and made the switch to 2 balconies connecting. 

It seems through research we will also be able to open the balcony divider, so nice big balcony, 2 bathrooms and a separate room .

We also managed to find a connecting set of rooms with one having a sofa bed.. there wasn't many of these available for some reason but we got one.

I doubt we will be sailing anyway, but for the price we got it was worth the gamble

2 hours ago, motherof said:

I was in a JS3 on deck 10 - directly above the block you are looking at. Spacious cabin, 1.5 bathrooms, tub/shower in one, refrigerator, lots of storage space. We had two dinners in Coastal Kitchen, which were wonderful. Nice sized balcony, made even better because my daughter was in the next cabin, and we were able to have the divider opened. JS also includes a kettle - important for a tea-drinker like me. 

In retrospect, my husband, adult daughter, and I probably would have been fine in one JS, but she wanted her own bathroom, and, since this cruise was for her, it worked out.

Thanks for sharing your experience in a JS3.  Nice to also have the room next door.

1 hour ago, Peewee14 said:

We have just ben through the exact same conundrum on Anthem 

We booked Guaranteed suite ,  it was same price of 2 connecting balconies . Following a post on here, I called and made the switch to 2 balconies connecting. 

It seems through research we will also be able to open the balcony divider, so nice big balcony, 2 bathrooms and a separate room .

We also managed to find a connecting set of rooms with one having a sofa bed.. there wasn't many of these available for some reason but we got one.

I doubt we will be sailing anyway, but for the price we got it was worth the gamble

When is your cruise?  We actually have 2 balcony rooms booked for Dec at a good price, but also thinking we won't sail which is why I'm looking at a backup cruise (book now, price watch).

Now we're questioning if we should just book a single balcony room (as the difference can buy DH and I a drink packge).  But having said that, our kids will be 12 and 16 for this cruise date and that's getting a bit old to share a sofa bed.  We've gotten away with it until now (or we book room with a pullman + sofa or the trundle style beds as on Harmony/Symphony), but for much longer.

Decisions....

20 hours ago, Chiliburn said:

Just going on experience on Ovation,

coastal kitchen is a lovely venue and makes the cruise that little better.

Its fine dining which I not real keen on but they do off menu.They did a couple of things from windjammers.
You also get access to the suite sun deck with JS,sometimes there’s drinks on the sun deck.

CK would be your decision you would have to make.

Access to the suite sundeck with a JS?! Is that on Anthem as well?

1 hour ago, LuCruise said:

Now we're questioning if we should just book a single balcony room (as the difference can buy DH and I a drink packge).  But having said that, our kids will be 12 and 16 for this cruise date and that's getting a bit old to share a sofa bed.  We've gotten away with it until now (or we book room with a pullman + sofa or the trundle style beds as on Harmony/Symphony), but for much longer.

I'd get two rooms. Put your husband in one you in the other and you can bring on two bottles of wine per cabin. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, island lady said:

Thanks Noreen! That's what I thought but that post got me excited for a minute 😁. It's my first RCI cruise and I keep debating upgrading my JS to GS... that was one of the reasons. Being a cold weather sailing I don't think we'd use it (or the other sky amenities) enough to justify an upgrade. 

Edit: quoted the wrong person and don't know how to fix it!

Edited by mkmaj
  • Like 1