Just Tired

We were on the last Symphony of the Seas cruise in March.  I couldn't wait to get on the ship after all the news the week before we went but they said it was still safe so off we went.  Mid week we started hearing all the chatter from fellow passengers, crew and then the news stations. About then my daughters sent photo's of chaos and empty shelves at the grocery stores.  I was so happy to get off the ship.  Eleven days after returning home we got a email from Royal that a person had tested positive and we should quarantine for 14 days, my daughters, health care workers, had already insisted we do that. A few weeks after that CDC posted a list of ships with positive cases and Symphony had 150 cases and we later learned 2 crew had died.  

Can it get any worse both my daughters came down with the virus and after one month have fully recovered.  That was one long month. Two weeks ago we were finally able to see out kids and grandkids since before we went on that cruise. Last week we were able to go to our first grandchild's HS graduation. It was individual in the front of the high school it was great. 

Well it isn't snowing here in Michigan now but it 's forecast to be 90+ for about the next 5 days. Restaurants opened up for dining and we ventured out on Sunday for a nice meal but it was rather weird. 

We are also in our mid 70's and have had a Mexican Riviera cruise booked since September for April 2021.  Not too sure we will be doing that so I reserved a condo in Florida for the same time frame and will have to make the big decision by final payment time.  I really need something to look forward to and will be really disappointed if don't ever get to cruise again. 

Hopefully things will get better. Hang in there! It's got to get better.

Edited by Lorey2007

Very sad what's going on. Lost 6 cruises. I understand.

Waiting for a vaccine  not happening for a long time.

Who knows if that's the answer.

Flu shots don't work on everyone.

Live your life as best as you can.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, baldilocks said:

My wife and I are in our mid-70's. First we lost our April cruise. Then there was the note thing for those over 70. Then we can't seem to get a full refund on our excursion. We can't go many places as we are in the 'COVID at risk group'. We can't visit our friends. Now the nation is in an uproar. Stock market went back down and so did our investments. My wife has been shopping online. She got a table water fountain. It quit after two months. She order a new dress on QVC. Shipping was delayed and then back ordered. Trying to get a refund.

We are just tired. 

We hear you, friends. We get frustrated too. My husband and I downsized to a small townhouse, now have a grown child and grandchild living here too. The walls can sort of close in, huh? I eat too much, do too little housework, get stressed over the news, but sometimes think about my dad on bombing missions in WW 2, my mom not knowing if he'd make it home. I guess I am ok with this aggravation. God bless you two!

• Like 3

5 hours ago, baldilocks said:

My wife and I are in our mid-70's. First we lost our April cruise. Then there was the note thing for those over 70. Then we can't seem to get a full refund on our excursion. We can't go many places as we are in the 'COVID at risk group'. We can't visit our friends. Now the nation is in an uproar. Stock market went back down and so did our investments. My wife has been shopping online. She got a table water fountain. It quit after two months. She order a new dress on QVC. Shipping was delayed and then back ordered. Trying to get a refund.

We are just tired. 

I am older than you and in the Covid at risk group,I have not left my home since March 12. Visiting friends is something we have not done for many years. We have not owned stocks since 1968 and pay no attention to the stock market.

There are days when I am in so much pain that I get very depressed but I want to see a world that is Covid free so I psych myself to get through the day.

There is no way I will spend an other dollar on a cruise if I have to pay now but wait an eternity for a cancellation refund.  As a lobbyist, i intend to pursue a law requiring pre-paid cruise dollars as security deposits subject to 10 refunds or refunds with interest.

I find a cruise in a mask not to be a vacation.  Cruising is finished

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Etta1213 said:

get stressed over the news

I found a solution to this one...don't turn it on. Because it is slanted in so many ways, you can never know if you are getting the truth or someone's narrative. Now, this link is just for informational purposes and what the news people say comes from people much higher. But watching this makes you really think about what you are hearing is real or mind control.

• Like 4

We also had a Transpacific 17 day cruise from Australia that was canceled in April! Fortunately we have a great travel agent and between her and RC we got everything plus the extra 25% they promised. First the non-refundable airfare was returned directly into our bank account and then the cruise fare and finally the excursions. The excursions came in several payments but more than I expected too. It took a while but it was before the end of May. I took it and booked two more cruises in October to Australia and New Zealand. If that gets canceled. which I am told it won’t, I’ll put it on next years cruises. My husband and I are in our late 60’s. Hang in there it’s almost over. I’m a semi-retired nurse who’s been exposed to all kinds of things so this only slightly scares me.

Oh the Horror!!

Seems like lots of selfish complaining going on in here. There are some who cant even phathom what its like to have to cancel a cruise, let alone worry about 6 cruises...imo

• Like 3

We love cruising, and we consider it a privilege. We suspected that this might happen and were bummed but we got over it . Yes there are definitely worse situations and very sorry about yours.

• Like 1

We too feel the same as many others here, missing cruising. Should be on a ship right now, b2b but was cancelled. One coming up in August but doubt it will sail. Having flashbacks about our last years June b2b cruise. Watching and waiting hoping to cruise again when things are sorted out. Hang in there everyone. Better days ahead.

I find turning off the news helps a lot.  Now that things have opened up here it also helps to get out into the real world.  We have been going to restaurants, going to the beach, getting the dogs groomed and I have been getting my nails done.  Seeing people out and about doing normal things and not what is on the news is very uplifting.

• Like 5

5 hours ago, bigrednole said:

I found a solution to this one...don't turn it on. Because it is slanted in so many ways, you can never know if you are getting the truth or someone's narrative. Now, this link is just for informational purposes and what the news people say comes from people much higher. But watching this makes you really think about what you are hearing is real or mind control.

That came down from the network.  It's the networks "ad".  Pretty common all the time.  If you travel, you'll see similarities.  You can also look at websites that are the same except for local info.  It's more to do with brand than anything else.

3 hours ago, FSHLOT said:

Oh the Horror!!

Seems like lots of selfish complaining going on in here. There are some who cant even phathom what its like to have to cancel a cruise, let alone worry about 6 cruises...imo

Those that can't fathom cruising aren't on here.  This site is for people who DO cruise.  Which I assume includes you.

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, BND said:

Those that can't fathom cruising aren't on here.  This site is for people who DO cruise.  Which I assume includes you.

Not entirely true. How about 1st timers? How about the people that registered to this site just to see what is being said about the cruise industry in general during these times? 

It's all good, just thought it sounded selfish,  no biggie.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, MISTER 67 said:

Welcome to the club, we are also in our mid 70s and the only thing that's keeping me sane is that we live on and belong to a golf club and I've been able to play my usual 3-4 times a week. 

Dispite that, the wife and me are still down in he dumps what with the virus, no cruising and watching the country in a state of division I haven't seen since 1968.

I thought I was the only one feeling overwhelmed by all that is happening.   At our age we do not have many days ahead of us, and three months of our lives have passed us by, how many more before we can begin to enjoy our "golden" years.   Will all of this ever end?  When I get on cruise critic, it is no longer fun, it use to be a place to come for advice, now people get angry if you ask or talk about wanting to cruise again.   I hope to cruise in December, need the cruise to look forward to, and I want us to go back to normal, not "new normal".    

• Like 3

1 hour ago, FSHLOT said:

Not entirely true. How about 1st timers? How about the people that registered to this site just to see what is being said about the cruise industry in general during these times? 

A lot of us see cruising as a way to enjoy our lives.  Feeling guilty over it doesn't help anyone in any way.  We spent years when our kids were growing up unable to do really big vacations.  My boys have only been to Disney World twice while I know people that go every year, but that didn't make me feel bad about myself.  We are now empty nesters who can afford to cruise more than once a year and I refuse to feel guilty about it.  If reading what is posted here makes someone feel bad, then maybe they shouldn't be here reading.

Edited by BND
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, PattiHere said:

I thought I was the only one feeling overwhelmed by all that is happening.   At our age we do not have many days ahead of us, and three months of our lives have passed us by, how many more before we can begin to enjoy our "golden" years.   Will all of this ever end?  When I get on cruise critic, it is no longer fun, it use to be a place to come for advice, now people get angry if you ask or talk about wanting to cruise again.   I hope to cruise in December, need the cruise to look forward to, and I want us to go back to normal, not "new normal".    

I hope you DO get to cruise when you want to and to enjoy your golden years.

People have no right to get angry at what you wish to do. Don't let them change your thoughts or bring you down. This pandemic and isolation has brought out the worst in many people.......probably because they do not know how to cope with the information overload, and their fear and anxiety is getting the better of them. I wish you all the best and hope you get to cruise and enjoy your golden years. You get into that mindset now.

Edited by Arzeena
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, FSHLOT said:

Yes, selfish as these are supposed to be the best years of our life.

• Like 1

Venting is healthy! Of course we all know it could be so much worse and I think it's important to appreciate the good fortune one has, it's also okay to be disappointed when life throws you a curve ball. This is a cruise board, where else should a person complain about not being able to cruise?! It's certainly more appropriate here than say, the grocery store. 

We've had to cancel my daughter's fifth birthday party (the first big bash, with a surprise Little Mermaid) and three vacations so far (we were going all out since she's starting kindergarten in September). In the grand scheme of life, I still consider myself as lucky as a fat housecat, but we give up a lot of materialistic things for travel and experience, so it's been disappointing. However, I think perspective is EVERYTHING so we're trying to enjoy our simpler life too. And we are!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, FSHLOT said:

This is going to sound bitchy and it probably is, but I'm getting so tired of hearing that I need to feel guilty or I'm selfish because I have things others don't.  

• Like 11