Aug & Sept

English-Greg

On 6/17/2020 at 6:18 PM, cruisin from vegas said:

Just spoke to one of my closest friends who is a Carnival CC (30 years), I am also a past Carnival crew member; she said they were directed late yesterday no more bookings for August or September due to over capacity.  She said the last two weeks have been the highest number of bookings she has ever seen.  She says that’s all she knows, but anything can happen.  They can book October forward only.  She and I have a 60th birthday booking for October 2nd... but who knows 

That makes as much sense as anything.  Obviously they won't be able to sail at 100% for a while, and I was worried they would take full bookings then have to decide who could go and who can not.  

50 minutes ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

Unfortunately the CDC seems determined to not give people the ability to choose if they want to cruise or not. What is frustrating to me is statistics continue to show the overwhelming majority of people who have died due to COVID-19 are 65 and over or have serious underlying medical issues. It doesn’t make sense to me to shut down an entire industry based on a virus that in most cases is only seriously impacting certain groups of people. 

I agree. I won't speak of other lines because I don't follow them, but after reading and seeing all the interviews with Donald, I feel like Carnival is ready to give it a go come August. If they don't, it won't be because they don't want to, it'll be because the CDC says no. Maybe we're wrong about the CDC, but they sure do seem like they have some sort of axe to grind against cruise lines. I'd like to know why. Donald said that the cruise industry has done far more to protect against diseases, such as norovirus, than what happens on land. He said there are far more cases of norovirus that happen at land-based vacation destinations than on cruise ships. But the cruise lines always take the heat for being the "petri dishes."

Edited by Organized Chaos
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Jamesatgsu said:

Same logic was given to us months ago when our May cruise disappeared. About a week later they cancelled it.

I'm assuming my August cruise doesn't sail, but I'll continue to hold on to whatever tiny sliver of hope there is until then.

I like your thinking sliver of hope! I just need another place I can fly somewhere else for a great price just can’t get home for less than $500 unless we just stay in Ft Lauderdale!

I'm only on page 2, but the fact of the matter is, they will not know if they will be cruising until they know if the no-sail order from the CDC will be extended past July 24(?) or not.  I suspect they stopped taking further bookings as a risk mitigation for that possibility.

I'm hopeful and optimistic, but we'll see what happens.  

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, molly361 said:

Did Carnival announce their August cancellations or did they just disappear from their website?

I can't speak for every ship, but first, Carnival has NOT made an announcement of new cancellations past the end of July.

Second, sailings for August, September, and October on the Vista and the Freedom out of Galveston have all been removed from the on-line booking engine.

Third, my September Vista cruise and October Freedom cruise are still listed in my Cruise Manager.   I put little credence to this point since my March cruise cancelled by Carnival remained in my Cruise Manager for quite a long time after it was cancelled.

3 minutes ago, bury me at sea said:

I can't speak for every ship, but first, Carnival has NOT made an announcement of new cancellations past the end of July.

Second, sailings for August, September, and October on the Vista and the Freedom out of Galveston have all been removed from the on-line booking engine.

Third, my September Vista cruise and October Freedom cruise are still listed in my Cruise Manager.   I put little credence to this point since my March cruise cancelled by Carnival remained in my Cruise Manager for quite a long time after it was cancelled.

Who knows I agree. I posted on another thread people trying to book the 6 days or longer to get the $600 obc, so it makes sense it's the longer cruises booking up. Freedom and vista out of Galveston. 

I see dream 4 and 5 days can still be booked in oct. People want the $600 obc. 

So I just tried to do a mock booking for Any Cruise in September leaving from any port. Only 2 cruises show up and are from Australia.....I am not really buying the capacity thing, my guess is they are about to get canceled. 

• Like 1

It's a downloadable link but I saw this posted on rcl forum. Says carnival cancelled until sept 15. To those who want to pick fights  ignore. Posting facts that I dont like to give cdc ammunition and would like to punch dr faucci in the face, isnt political. But this is worrisome too.

20200619_125433518.jpeg

20200619_125449948.jpeg

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, sanger727 said:

Well, it's happened.

CLIA member cruise lines have all suspended until Sept 15.... so, positive thinking isn't going to change that... 

You see, that's exactly the kind of remarks that help create all the disruption. You could've simply posted the source and been done with it, but you wanted to take a cheap shot, too. For those of us who remained hopeful/optimistic/positive, not a single one of us would deny it or think it'll change as long as a respectable source, such as the cruise line itself or in this case, the CLIA, came out and said it. An official word from someone who actually knows the answers. No one on this forum fits that bill.

This could be the end of the discussion, for the most part. What's done is done and there's nothing we can do about it. Unfortunately, I suspect we'll now have to endure almost 3 months of the same people cheering this extension because they think it gives them the right to say "I told you so."

• Like 6

Since Carnival hasn't updated their own travel advisory or their fb page, I took a peek at JH's page and here is what he posted. Since he put it in quotations, I'm going to assume that statement comes from HQ.

Here is the news:

"We are aware of today’s announcement by the Cruise Lines International Association about the industry’s support of an extension of the voluntary pause in U.S. cruise operations until September 15. We will notifying our guests and travel agent partners about our own specific plans on Monday. We appreciate all your patience and support."

My guess is, they're using this time to now decide how they will handle this next round of cancellations. Sad to see.

Edited by Organized Chaos
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Organized Chaos said:

You see, that's exactly the kind of remarks that help create all the disruption.

Exactly what I was going to say! Being optimistic is way healthier than being pessimistic.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Organized Chaos said:

You see, that's exactly the kind of remarks that help create all the disruption. You could've simply posted the source and been done with it, but you wanted to take a cheap shot, too. For those of us who remained hopeful/optimistic/positive, not a single one of us would deny it or think it'll change as long as a respectable source, such as the cruise line itself or in this case, the CLIA, came out and said it. An official word from someone who actually knows the answers. No one on this forum fits that bill.

This could be the end of the discussion, for the most part. What's done is done and there's nothing we can do about it. Unfortunately, I suspect we'll now have to endure almost 3 months of the same people cheering this extension because they think it gives them the right to say "I told you so."

This is where the disconnect is. No one is cheering this extension. All us factual Frank’s or Debbie downers or whatever u want to call us want everything to get better to. But what I will not do is live in denial because it’s more pleasant. And I don’t appreciate people who foster that in others. Yes, that was a cheap shot. But it’s because even after carnival pulled their inventory suddenly - because magically ever cruise hit capacity at the same time; and after other mainstream cruise lines cancel August an sept; and after John herald says ‘we are evaluating’ people are still choosing to believe their August cruise is going to happen because they want to ‘think positive’. There is a way to think positively without being in denial. 

• Like 6

1 minute ago, cruisin from vegas said:

Spoke to my friend a few minutes ago.  The word they got is an announcement on Monday, but she is not very positive.  

Other than Carnival making the change to the website advisory, it's as official as it can get. They'll officially announce it Monday, which is when they'll start sending out notifications to people with booked cruises. That's probably when they'll change the website, too. JH said that they're taking the weekend to figure out everything they're going to do. That probably means refunds, FCC's, OBC, things like that.

It's a dang shame. We don't even have a cruise booked during that time, but still hate to see it.

On 6/18/2020 at 10:08 PM, Saint Greg said:

Whoa. I was looking at October cruises yesterday...and they're starting to disappear. Specifically Vista and Freedom.

All 7 day cruises out of New Orleans are off the website for October.

17 hours ago, Organized Chaos said:

Hi

What's this "people cheering the extension"? That's just not the way it is.

Many have just been saying, we can't cruise until cruising starts. Others have been saying, I booked for May...cancelled, June...cancelled. Don't worry, Carnival says they will be sailing in August...cancelled. Yes, as you say, it is sad to see, but realistically, not unexpected.

I (personally), am looking at what is happening in the rest of the world, and don't think it is a good idea to give these companies your money to hold for a potential OBC, until you can see that they have a product to sell. You can do what you want with your money, but many other see and hear people saying we are sailing on "whatever date" and actually think it "will" happen as opposed to something that "might happen if things get better". There is a big difference. 

I would love for you to go on a cruise and have a great time, because until you and many thousands others have sailed without incident, I can't go and I am just as anxious as you are. I can't even go into your country.

• Like 4

21 hours ago, bury me at sea said:

My choice isn't to put anyone on ignore, but simply not to respond to the ones that I find offensive.  More than once I've typed a reply but stopped myself from hitting the submit button.

This is not to suggest that anyone else do the same.

LOL. I have done this so many times.  I have had a couple of people on ignore from time to rime.

18 hours ago, HxFx said:

Exactly what I was going to say! Being optimistic is way healthier than being pessimistic.

And between optimism and pessimism is the realist.

The cruises are going to be cancelled. Accept it now and you have time to come up with other plans. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, wesorbeth said:

I'm wondering if they're considering canceling through October. Or maybe just starting back with short cruises in October.

Edited by Saint Greg

2 hours ago, wesorbeth said:

30 minutes ago, Saint Greg said:

I'm wondering if they're considering canceling through October. Or maybe just starting back with short cruises in October.

It would make sense about no cruises out of NOLA in October.   The initial plan was 8 ships out of 3 ports starting on August 1.  I would have to assume that the same gameplan would come into play, just shifted back to sometime after September 15 or whenever CLIA and the CDC give the cruise industry the thumbs up to reinstate cruising.

I to have a cruise booked for Sept 20th, and yesterday spoke to my travel agent who relayed the info from the Diamond Desk.

Carnival has extended my cancellation and it can be used any time in the next 12 months with no penalty. I also have a cruise booked on Radiance for its move from Florida to Galveston in 2021, but have no idea at this point what will happen there, I live in Galveston and the Port Authority here had a financial meeting and decided to not include any monies from the cruise lines this year in their upcoming budget.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, jst said:

. . .  I live in Galveston and the Port Authority here had a financial meeting and decided to not include any monies from the cruise lines this year in their upcoming budget.

Is that for the rest of this calendar year?

I would assume, knowing the various potential pitfalls in assuming, that they stay in close touch with Royal and Carnival.