What's up with October 2020?

Cruisesfun65

31 minutes ago, a3593 said:

This is one of the greatest mysteries on the globe, but when this happened to me my cruise was cancelled a few weeks later.  Personally, I think all of the cruise lines should stick in fork in 2020.  This "cancel an inch at a time" is exhausting. 😞

We gave up on cruising this year. It’s frustrating watching what’s going on. Have had two cruises cancelled, the latest a B2B this September. Rebooked for the end of February on the Breeze. Hopefully it’s far enough out that the cruise lines will be back in full operation. Good luck everyone.

3 minutes ago, skrufy said:

We gave up on cruising this year. It’s frustrating watching what’s going on. Have had two cruises cancelled, the latest a B2B this September. Rebooked for the end of February on the Breeze. Hopefully it’s far enough out that the cruise lines will be back in full operation. Good luck everyone.

We did too. Re-booked for September 2021.  Not happy about that at all, but really I could have much bigger problems.

• Like 1

We are in the same position as everyone else that has booked cruise(s) or is ready to book a cruise.

I have a cruise booked the last week of October 2020 and my final payment date is approaching very quickly and I don't really want to tie up all that money, have my cruise cancelled again, wait for refunds, blah, blah.  We are also checking out land based vacations which require deposits, reservations, planning, etc.

Carnival, I know it's not that simple, but you probably already have a date in mind when you will be safely cruising again, PLEASE announce it to the general public and your loyal cruisers and be done with it.  Put us out of our misery and get us off this merry-go-round.

I live in south Florida and it is an easy drive to the beautiful Florida Keys which has all the attributes of any island in the Caribbean.  We have been vacationing in the Keys for years and looks like it will be our vacation destination this year also.  Warm water, beautiful resorts, fishing, snorkeling, diving, and the history and charm of Key West.  

• Like 2

I have previously seen cabins open up after showing no availability as people probably cancelled.

I predict that if cruises begin this year, they will be short three day trips. If that happens, I may book a couple last minute back to backs if masks aren’t required. That’s a huge stretch though. I rebooked my cancelled cruise for a 7 day cruise in January.

5 minutes ago, TNcruising02 said:

I have previously seen cabins open up after showing no availability as people probably cancelled.

I predict that if cruises begin this year, they will be short three day trips. If that happens, I may book a couple last minute back to backs if masks aren’t required. That’s a huge stretch though. I rebooked my cancelled cruise for a 7 day cruise in January.

A short 3 day trip can quickly turn into a long, unplanned 17+ day trip.

Edited by xDisconnections
  • Like 3

11 minutes ago, TNcruising02 said:

I have seen this before, especially on Inaugural cruise on Panorama.  I was booked in an accessible cabin in the Family Harbor area, and so as I saw there was another accessible cabin on Deck 11 I booked it, that was 60 days prior the cruise.

• Like 1

I dont know if cancellations would make way for new bookings. I would think so.  But I really think that no cruises will sail until 2021.
Without any income and with huge expenses of 1.5 billion dollars every month, Carnival has cash to last for only 9 months. From March to November 2020
If they don't Cruise before Jan 2021 they will run out of cash
  • Haha 1

We currently have a re-booked cruise for October 4th and our final payment date is July 6th, 2020.  Someone had mentioned they called Carnival and asked to have final payment extended to 30 days prior to sailing.  I was on hold this morning for 2 hours only to be told she couldn't do that, only travel agents can.  Does anyone have experience getting this done on their own?  Our October 2021 cruise is paid in full and really don't want to tie up any more money waiting for cancellations to be over with.  TIA

It's killing their stock price, when they miss their sail dates.     I think they are tamping down expectations at this point.   Since the virus hasn't fundamentally changed, and seems to be on the uptick.  It doesn't look good for any 2020 sailings at this point IMHO.    Come on vaccine!, need that before this thing mutates into something else.   If I was in charge, I would just keep those over 70 or with compromised immune systems from sailing and just do it.   But this is more than just a issue with the CDC, unfortunately.   Mexico extended their non-essential travel ban.    All of the right pieces have to fall into place.  

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, TNcruising02 said:

Quick 3 day trips mean alot more people passing through the terminals and the ships, exposing workers to double (more or less) the amount of people in one 6 day trip. 

Pandemic-wise  the six or seven day trips or longer are much more logical to reduce exposure.

The profitability of the longer ones, like everything else here, can be argued.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, drsel said:

Without any income and with huge expenses of 1.5 billion dollars every month, Carnival has cash to last for only 9 months. From March to November 2020
If they don't Cruise before Jan 2021 they will run out of cash

The prospect of that is awful, but they recently sold a large stake of the company to the Saudi's who are worth Trillions.  They have friends with deep pockets, so they will probably be ok. 

• Like 1

If Carnival is blocking bookings for cruises they don't expect to happen then that is a good thing. They should suspend all new bookings other than someone shifting a deposit from an already cancelled cruise.

• Like 2

The prospect of that is awful, but they recently sold a large stake of the company to the Saudi's who are worth Trillions.  They have friends with deep pockets, so they will probably be ok. 
I hope so too, because I am want to book cruises in April May 2021

My former employee is an executive with Carnival and she told me Saturday that the company isn't thinking they will be sailing again in 2020.  No ports will let them dock, no employees, etc.

YMMV.
But Costa and P&O UK have cruises scheduled from mid October onwards

1 minute ago, drsel said:
8 minutes ago, BlueHerons said:
My former employee is an executive with Carnival and she told me Saturday that the company isn't thinking they will be sailing again in 2020.  No ports will let them dock, no employees, etc.

YMMV.

Are they sailing from an US port? 

6 minutes ago, drsel said:
13 minutes ago, BlueHerons said:

YMMV.

I read that as in "CARNIVAL" branded ships.

31 minutes ago, Elbozi said:

It's killing their stock price, when they miss their sail dates.     I think they are tamping down expectations at this point.   Since the virus hasn't fundamentally changed, and seems to be on the uptick.  It doesn't look good for any 2020 sailings at this point IMHO.    Come on vaccine!, need that before this thing mutates into something else.   If I was in charge, I would just keep those over 70 or with compromised immune systems from sailing and just do it.   But this is more than just a issue with the CDC, unfortunately.   Mexico extended their non-essential travel ban.    All of the right pieces have to fall into place.  

I’m sure glad you’re NOT in charge! I’m over 70 and a heck of a lot healthier than most people I know, including my children! Here in Florida most of the cases these last few weeks are those below 35 or so who don’t bother to wear a mask or practice social distancing, they think they’re invincible!

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Bostwick girl said:

I’m sure glad you’re NOT in charge! I’m over 70 and a heck of a lot healthier than most people I know, including my children! Here in Florida most of the cases these last few weeks are those below 35 or so who don’t bother to wear a mask or practice social distancing, they think they’re invincible!

Lol,  good job!  Well no worries there I know nothing about anything. and no one is going to let me be in charge of anything.   I just have a keyboard and internet and a IQ of about 70.  🙂   

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Cruiseboy06 said:

As now they haven't officially  announced that they are returning to cruising..  I don't like returning to service wording..........  After yesterday's announcement most of all 6+ days sailings disappeared suddenly.  Carnival and some people say those cruises are sold out due to limited capacity, but yet they have not announced  LIMITED CAPACITY for future cruises for now.. I think they are planning to announce further cancellations next month.............   If a cruise is sold out and some decide  to cancel their cruise will it allow open for new bookings?

Very likely due to the fact that they got hammered with their "plan" to return on August 1.  Remember the "insightful mistake" drama with Arnold Donald?  I'm sure they just don't want to rhetorically lock themselves into October 1.

• Like 1