Do you even want to cruise again?

crusinbanjo

4 minutes ago, silkismom said:

Sorry, but we have to do something while waiting for the world to stop spinning. I can only sit and watch TV so many days without going crazy. We've had 2 cruises canceled in the past few months and not holding my breath for the Dec or Apr 2021 ones.

Are  your replying to my post silkismon??  I do agree yes we have  to do other things but again  the thread was (do you even want to cruise again!!!!! I just asked the question that's all... I also have had to cancel two cruises this year one be it ( crystal) & also trip to Paris march .trip to Palma Spain June . Cruise August & September so yes oh so sad... A didn't mean any hurm in my question ... Hope my cruise on moon happens Oct 2021 ...

🚢🍾

2 hours ago, Lvshack said:

the best  of your outdoors looks so good across the pond ... & Terry is there anywhere you have not been???  You have so much knowledge it's amazing... Anyway I  know that you have seen several of my  treads I have made comments  on ( no response usually  no worries I'm thick skinned)  Need I say more ..luv you all 

YES!! Agree with our friend from Bath/UK, that these pictures from these western areas look super great and very attractive.  Need to go back, again, to soak up that "MAGIC" from those majestic mountains. 

Appreciate the good question and follow-up assuming that we have already been everywhere.  Sorry, not true!!  Many, many places on our future "to-do" list.  At the top of our immediate wish list would be for the Galapagos Islands.  Had booked and hope to visit there in late January 2021.  Had that trip booked and paid up in full with Silversea for their new Silver Origin.  But when the Covid-19 lock-down hit, we did not want to risk that large amount of money in the hands of a highly-leverage, out-of-reach, legally untouchable corporation we would not be able to reach.  Got out money back and now we will wait.  Also, I want to do our first visits to India and China.  Maybe Antarctica?  Plus, the eastern coastal area of Canada!!  Maybe back to Africa?  Lots of dreams and hopes.  Need more money and that pesky Covid-19 challenge solved.  Also, like to do more in the U.K., in Paris, Italy, Portugal, Amsterdam, etc., etc.

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise from Copenhagen, July 2010, to the top of Europe. Wonderful scenic visuals with key tips. Live/blog at 239,885

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

3 hours ago, crusinbanjo said:

I like that.  Mrs Banjo and I are thinking of doing a similar setup.  We had a travel trailer some years ago that we loved...... now I wonder why we ever let it go!

Thank you.  Spent 2-years (okay, it was really 3) researching manufacturers and brands.  If you have any BBC questions when you start your research, just let me know.

And, Lvshack, I think it’s my fault this thread got off track when I started talking about all the Texans invading Colorado. 😁 Sorry about that.

• Like 1

Yes, I want to cruise and I decided yesterday to put a deposit down for one in Oct 2021...Spirit 12 nights!  

At least I have something to look forward to!  Deposit is lower than normal and you get an OBC too!  Maybe

we will be cruising by that time again!  (one can only hope)...........

Jumping For Joy GIFs | Tenor

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Lois R said:

Yes, I want to cruise and I decided yesterday to put a deposit down for one in Oct 2021...Spirit 12 nights!  

Hi, Lois!  Will that be the October 8, 2021, sailing, Lisbon to Lisbon?  Stops in Madrira, the Azores, Canary Islands, etc.?  Sounds fun and interesting!!  Have you previously been to Lisbon and Portugal?  As detailed below from our June 2017 sailing on the Silver Spirit, we had five wonderful days in and around Lisbon prior to our sailing up the Atlantic Coast.  Super loved Lisbon and Portugal.  

My prediction is that by October 2021, cruising (hopefully) will most back to mostly "normal" or, worse case, many of the cruise lines will be out of business.  I assume you either will delay making your final payments to Silversea till when conditions are more certain . . . OR . . . you will have iron-clad protections through both your insurance AND credit card to protect this sizable investment. Good luck in planning and preparing for this October 2021 adventure. 

Lisbon, NWSpain, Bordeaux/Brittany: Live/blog, June 2017 from Portugal to France along scenic Atlantic Coast.  Now at 30,804 views.  Many interesting pictures, details for history, food, culture, etc.:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2511358

10 minutes ago, TLCOhio said:

Hi, Lois!  Will that be the October 8, 2021, sailing, Lisbon to Lisbon?  Stops in Madrira, the Azores, Canary Islands, etc.?  Sounds fun and interesting!!  Have you previously been to Lisbon and Portugal?  As detailed below from our June 2017 sailing on the Silver Spirit, we had five wonderful days in and around Lisbon prior to our sailing up the Atlantic Coast.  Super loved Lisbon and Portugal.  

My prediction is that by October 2021, cruising (hopefully) will most back to mostly "normal" or, worse case, many of the cruise lines will be out of business.  I assume you either will delay making your final payments to Silversea till when conditions are more certain . . . OR . . . you will have iron-clad protections through both your insurance AND credit card to protect this sizable investment. Good luck in planning and preparing for this October 2021 adventure. 

Lisbon, NWSpain, Bordeaux/Brittany: Live/blog, June 2017 from Portugal to France along scenic Atlantic Coast.  Now at 30,804 views.  Many interesting pictures, details for history, food, culture, etc.:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2511358

Hi Terry,🙂 yes it is that itinerary and no, I have never visited those places before.  I was supposed to go this year but 

we all know what happened with that..................and my final payment is not due till much

later......(the middle of next year).

1 hour ago, Lois R said:

At least I have something to look forward to!  Deposit is lower than normal and you get an OBC too!  Maybe

Yes its a good deal Lois. 

You do miss the early booking bonus by not paying all but the deposit is very low. If you have to cancel before the final payment you are out of pocket the admin fee.

But you can always apply that to another booking within a year I think.

We booked the moon to pireaus in march.

Edited by spinnaker2

Oh, and another thing...........the Single Supplement was only 25%!   Hi Spins, March 2021?  And if something happens

and it is a no go, I will do what you mentioned and just transfer the $ to 2022. 

29 minutes ago, Lois R said:

Single Supplement was only 25%!   And if something happens and it is a no go, I will do what you mentioned and just transfer the $ to 2022. 

Super great, Lois, that you have a super low and reasonable 25% single supplement.  Excellent deal.  Also, waiting till the middle of next year for your final payment is wise and protective of your cash.  

Now is the time to maximize the money in your hands and bank account.  Not beyond your control with a highly-leverage foreign corporation that you cannot be reached or tapped if their finances go bad in the next twelve months. 

Completed last summer Calgary, Jasper/Banff National Parks, Western Canada Rocky Mountaineer rail adventure, Vancouver, sailing up to Alaska, post-cruise excursion to Denali, etc.  Many visuals and details from our first in these scenic areas!  Live/blog at: 

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2682584-live-terryohio-silver-muse-alaska-canadarockies-pix’s/

13 hours ago, Stumblefoot said:

Thank you.  Spent 2-years (okay, it was really 3) researching manufacturers and brands.  If you have any BBC questions when you start your research, just let me know.

And, Lvshack, I think it’s my fault this thread got off track when I started talking about all the Texans invading Colorado. 😁 Sorry about that.

No worries I won't blame you for going off track.... Your forgiven😉

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Lois R said:

Hi Lois glad to hear you have decided on a cruise for 2021.... I'm on the moon in Oct Venice to Athens & yes let's hope all be good to go 🚢 

14 hours ago, TLCOhio said:

YES!! Agree with our friend from Bath/UK, that these pictures from these western areas look super great and very attractive.  Need to go back, again, to soak up that "MAGIC" from those majestic mountains. 

Appreciate the good question and follow-up assuming that we have already been everywhere.  Sorry, not true!!  Many, many places on our future "to-do" list.  At the top of our immediate wish list would be for the Galapagos Islands.  Had booked and hope to visit there in late January 2021.  Had that trip booked and paid up in full with Silversea for their new Silver Origin.  But when the Covid-19 lock-down hit, we did not want to risk that large amount of money in the hands of a highly-leverage, out-of-reach, legally untouchable corporation we would not be able to reach.  Got out money back and now we will wait.  Also, I want to do our first visits to India and China.  Maybe Antarctica?  Plus, the eastern coastal area of Canada!!  Maybe back to Africa?  Lots of dreams and hopes.  Need more money and that pesky Covid-19 challenge solved.  Also, like to do more in the U.K., in Paris, Italy, Portugal, Amsterdam, etc., etc.

Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise from Copenhagen, July 2010, to the top of Europe. Wonderful scenic visuals with key tips. Live/blog at 239,885

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Just love the Mediterranean so many lovely places to visit... I've not done China  or Australia/newzeland but have done the far East . Russia. I think my most top trip would be  silver Shadow Japan to celebrate my 50th birthday...( Won't say how long ago that was) it was incredibly interesting..  went to both peace parks when the bombs were dropped such a moving experience. Also a little village where  they trained the kamakaz pilots  again very moving experience . Here's to 2021 !!!!!

15 hours ago, Stumblefoot said:

Will do, thank you!

• Like 1

On 7/18/2020 at 9:13 AM, Lvshack said:

Had that trip booked and paid up in full with Silversea for their new Silver Origin.  

My goodness, why would you PIF when you didn't have to?

4 minutes ago, Lvshack said:

Oh I don't think that was my quote ref cancelled booking on the origin????

Although it shows it as me not sure what's happened there,anyone explain ?????

Sorry, that wasn't you. Apology. It was @TLCOhio 

19 hours ago, Lvshack said:

Oh I don't think that was my quote ref cancelled booking on the origin????

Although it shows it as me not sure what's happened there,anyone explain ?????

Lvshack. Terry (TLCOhio) posted first, about his booking on Silver Origin (post #102 on this thread). Then you quoted him in your post, #112.

I think when clo posted, the quote came from YOUR post quoting Terry. On the new cruise critic setup it is easy to quote a partial post; just highlight the text and a button saying "quote selection" comes up. Click it, and you've quoted a part of the post.

To demonstrate, I will quote the same piece of Terry's post, first from the quote within your post, and second, directly from his ORIGINAL post. One will say "TLCOhio said" and the other will say "Lvshack said" even though the text is the same.

This came from YOUR post, Lvshack:

On 7/18/2020 at 12:13 PM, Lvshack said:

Many, many places on our future "to-do" list.  At the top of our immediate wish list would be for the Galapagos Islands.  Had booked and hope to visit there in late January 2021.  Had that trip booked and paid up in full with Silversea for their new Silver Origin.  But when the Covid-19 lock-down hit, we did not want to risk that large amount of money in the hands of a highly-leverage, out-of-reach, legally untouchable corporation we would not be able to reach.  Got out money back and now we will wait.

This is from Terry's post:

On 7/17/2020 at 9:08 PM, TLCOhio said:

Many, many places on our future "to-do" list.  At the top of our immediate wish list would be for the Galapagos Islands.  Had booked and hope to visit there in late January 2021.  Had that trip booked and paid up in full with Silversea for their new Silver Origin.  But when the Covid-19 lock-down hit, we did not want to risk that large amount of money in the hands of a highly-leverage, out-of-reach, legally untouchable corporation we would not be able to reach.  Got out money back and now we will wait.

Exact same text, but attributed to different posters.

Lesson learned (and I didn't know this prior to looking at it) - quote the original post, not a quote within the post, if you want to attribute the quote to the correct poster!

Edited by jpalbny
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Lvshack said:

Excuse my ignorance but what is the quote box for???

It's to separate the part of my post which is quoted from you (that's above this text, in the quote box), vs. what I typed myself (this text).

On 6/23/2020 at 9:16 AM, crusinbanjo said:

Interesting article, made me think twice.  Before I embark or book that next cruise, I'll need to know what the new normal is going to look like.

https://proudamericantraveler.com/will-cruise-customers-say-no-thanks-to-the-new-normal/

Yes, absolutely am looking forward to cruising again on Silversea!   But - two of my cruises on Silversea have been as a solo cruiser. I always meet lovely people onboard and enjoy joining "social" tables at dinner.  My concern is that safety/sanitation measures in the nearer-term may inhibit dining with people you're not traveling with,  striking up conversations with passengers at the adjacent table in the lounge or before a show, etc.  

5 hours ago, Dolcevita Diva said:

Yes, absolutely am looking forward to cruising again on Silversea!   But - two of my cruises on Silversea have been as a solo cruiser. I always meet lovely people onboard and enjoy joining "social" tables at dinner.  My concern is that safety/sanitation measures in the nearer-term may inhibit dining with people you're not traveling with,  striking up conversations with passengers at the adjacent table in the lounge or before a show, etc.  

We have always engaged fellow cruisers be they singles, couples, or whatever and have met some wonderful people we are still in contact with.   That’s part of the experience we love.   I honestly don’t think we’ll cruise anytime soon if we can’t meet new friends and reconnect with old friends.   That’s just not cruising to us.   

• Like 2