Do you even want to cruise again?

crusinbanjo

Agree, it sure doesn't sound like as much fun as it used to be!

Chris found a description of Ponant's planned safety measures. It doesn't look very pleasant either...

https://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/23102-ponant-announces-comprehensive-covid-safe-protocol.html

Edited by jpalbny

36 minutes ago, jpalbny said:

Agree, it sure doesn't sound like as much fun as it used to be!

Chris found a description of Ponant's planned safety measures. It doesn't look very pleasant either...

https://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/23102-ponant-announces-comprehensive-covid-safe-protocol.html

Yep, doesn't sound like much fun anymore.

I'm not going to pay attention to the "doom and gloom" articles that pop-up periodically about the future of cruising that consists entirely of speculation, or in this case, a single "experimental" German river cruise.

I am booked on our first Silversea cruise in November on the Whisper and am confident that Silversea will have appropriate protocols in place that may be "different" than we are used to on cruises but that will nonetheless not significantly lessen our enjoyment of the experience. 

I suppose I also don't understand what looks "unpleasant" about Ponant's planned safety measures.  Passenger masks in hallways, no buffet, fifty percent capacity of theater and fitness center, medical form signed by doctor prior to boarding, medical screening at boarding and temperature checks and disinfection at reboarding after excursions.  That doesn't sound like a big deal to me, but others may disagree.  Here is what Ponant has planned according to the linked article:

Pre-Boarding
• Prior to boarding, all guests and crew members will have to present a signed doctor’s medical form, complete a health questionnaire and undergo a health check and screening by the ship’s medical staff.
• All luggage will pass through a disinfecting zone by sanitizing mist or UV lamps.
• Surgical and cloth masks, disinfecting wipes and hand sanitizer bottles will be provided to passengers.

Onboard Experience
• 100 percent fresh air in staterooms, through non-recirculating air conditioning systems. Ventilated air will be renewed in the common areas at least five times per hour.
• Restaurant layouts have been redesigned and will only offer contactless a la carte dining options.
• Public spaces, such as the fitness room and theater will be capped at 50 percent occupancy.
• Hourly disinfecting of high-touch points, such as door handles and handrails, with peroxide, which eliminates 100% of germs and bacteria
• Crew members are required to wear a mask or protective visor when in contact with guests. Guests will be asked to wear a mask in hallway corridors and will be recommended in public spaces.
• Thanks to large investments over several years, Ponant said it has some of the most complete and renowned onboard medical centers in the world of cruising. Each vessel is equipped with advanced hospital equipment, including mobile laboratory terminals that enable testing on site for infectious or tropical diseases. Advanced diagnostic equipment such as ultrasound, radiology and blood biological analysis is available fleet-wide, one doctor and one nurse are present on every sailing.
• All ships will have five vacant staterooms should guests need to isolate.

Shore Excursions
• Zodiacs will be thoroughly disinfected after each stopover.
• Re-boarding after shore excursions will only be permitted after temperature check and disinfection procedures (individuals and personal belongings).

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jpalbny said:

Agree, it sure doesn't sound like as much fun as it used to be!    Chris found a description of Ponant's planned safety measures. It doesn't look very pleasant either...

YES!!! is my response to the question as for my desire to sail again and experience many unique and wonderful parts of the world.  My wife, a R.N., however, is more conservative on this question than me.   Agree with alexandria that certain of the potential Ponant rules do not seem to be too bad.  Maybe?  Unclear, yet, is how full will Silversea and other cruise lines will fill up their ship, how dining would be managed, etc.   ALSO, I want to know more and hear from people who have :"LIVED THE LIFE" under these new crusing standards being researched and considered.  The details will make a major, significant difference as to the type of "experience" we would be able to enjoy.  

On the "SS Future Re-Open Plan" thread, I posted below as an example and/or a little hint, maybe, if and if, for parts of what sailing might work and be in the future.  It is interesting to see how major colleges and universities are now planning for their fall learning/living experiences on campus.  How have these university life plans been announced in your areas?

Here in Central Ohio, one of the nation's largest universities, Ohio State, announced their "rules" for on-campus students.  From the Columbus Dispatch newspaper four days ago, they had this headline: “Here’s what Ohio State students living on campus can expect this fall” with this sub-head: "Students living on Ohio State’s campus this fall will be required to wear masks in common areas and will be encouraged to pre-order and pick up food from dining halls". 

Here are more story highlights and specifics: “Students living in residence halls are required to wear face masks in all common areas, such as lobbies, study spaces and laundry facilities. The face coverings are also recommended if students gather or socialize in residence hall rooms, but such congregating should be limited.  Move-in will occur between Aug. 12 and Aug. 23, with students scheduling a designated time block for arrival to ensure that no more than eight students are moving into a particular residence hall during a one-hour period.   Students are encouraged to practice physical distancing while using residence halls’ laundry facilities, and they are asked to take clothes back to their rooms to fold.  Shared items such as kitchen supplies, board games and sports equipment that typically have been available at residence halls’ front desks will no longer be.  As for campus dining, traditional all-you-can eat and self-serve, buffet-style dining options will not be available. Instead, dining areas will operate instead as pre-order and pickup locations.  Chilled meal packages also will be available for reheating in residence hall rooms.   Limited seating in dining locations will be available on a first-come, first-served basis and will be cleaned and disinfected after each use.”

These campus requirements at just one major university raise many questions for the spaced-out timing need to get passengers on and off of the ship, food service options/service, lack of close/personal connections with other passengers, etc., etc.  Certainly hope that cruise ships do not put microwaves in each room for us to get our cold meal delivered and . . . then we need to heat it up and "dine" in our room for breakfast, lunch and dinner.  Or, do we go on the Internet to pre-order our meal selections before going down to the dining room for a portion of our three meals each day?  I like being in the dining room, talking with the wait staff about the options, picking what is most of personal interest, etc.  

Also, if I were to be a fall student (or a parent paying the big college tuition/room-and/board costs), would going to college later this year either be that much fun and/or enlightening??  Worth ALL of the hassles??

Full Ohio State campus dorm rules story at:

https://www.dispatch.com/news/20200619/herersquos-what-ohio-state-students-living-on-campus-can-expect-this-fall

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

Sydney to NZ/Auckland Adventure, live/blog 2014 sampling/details with many exciting visuals and key highlights.  On page 23, post #571, see a complete index for all of the pictures, postings.  Now at 230,371 views.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

• Like 1

3 hours ago, alexandria said:

• Re-boarding after shore excursions will only be permitted after temperature check and disinfection procedures (individuals and personal belongings).

That was the part which bothered me the most...

We are booked in November, on an expedition cruise through Indonesia. My worry is that we might get a fever while we're ashore in Komodo Island. If that happens, will they leave us ashore? Will they feed us to the Komodo dragons? 😉 

We have three cruises booked so our answer is yes; we will be cruising again and we want to. The new protocols just don't sound as fun and as relaxing as things have been on previous cruises. It's a significant change from prior procedures; thus to me it seems to make the onboard experience less spontaneous and less pleasant. 

For instance, a 50% reduction in capacity for the theater. Sounds like nothing, but realize that on expedition cruises there is a nightly briefing with the expedition leader, which everyone is encouraged to attend. Will we have to sign up to attend? Or will we have to watch from our cabin? The reduced capacity in the fitness room, on the other hand, was news to me; I never really knew that cruise ships had them... 🤣

I am sure that the excitement of being back on board, finally able to travel again, will outweigh any downside of the new procedures which are in place. And of course I understand why it has to be that way. I am just not thrilled about it.

Edited by jpalbny
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, jpalbny said:

That was the part which bothered me the most...

We are booked in November, on an expedition cruise through Indonesia. My worry is that we might get a fever while we're ashore in Komodo Island. If that happens, will they leave us ashore? Will they feed us to the Komodo dragons? 😉 

That is the part that bothered me as well.  What if you get off and then can’t pass the test to get back on?  

But, personally, I’m not worried about the dragons, I’m worried about being marooned on some desert isle!

Yes, I want to cruise again.  I know it will be different and it is just part of this "new normal"...........Will I enjoy any/all

new restrictions? Probably not. Will I just deal with them? Yes. 

• Like 1

I thought I read something in the fine print about "walking the plank".  😬

The information on Ponant mentions having five vacant staterooms for isolation as well as testing capabilities on board.  It is pure speculation on my part, but it would make sense that in such an event they would isolate the passenger while awaiting the test results.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, alexandria said:

The information on Ponant mentions having five vacant staterooms for isolation as well as testing capabilities on board.  It is pure speculation on my part, but it would make sense that in such an event they would isolate the passenger while awaiting the test results.

Yes, that's what I think too. Feeding us to the Komodo Dragons make for a better headline, though. And it saves on PPE!

Edited by jpalbny
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, spinnaker2 said:

Emtbsam 

Read that Royal is changing a number of cruises to begin and end in Ravenna instead of Venice.

Wonder if that will percolate over to Silversea.

That would be interesting.  We could still visit or stay in Venice pre-cruise.  It is a bit more complicated since the first night of the cruise is an overnight in Venice.  Oh well, a lot will change between now and September 2021!

19 hours ago, jpalbny said:

Feeding us to the Komodo Dragons make for a better headline, though. And it saves on PPE!

Cute option to consider for feeding cruise passengers to the Komodo Dragons for failing the health screening.  Many very good questions and factors raised by J.P., crusinbanjo and others about theater capacity, screening processes, ship capacities, etc., etc.  As Wall Street opening this morning, all three of the stocks for the major cruise companies went down significantly.  Lots of unknowns floating around now.  Want a return to "normal" soon, but it will take some time.  

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise from Copenhagen, July 2010, to the top of Europe. Wonderful scenic visuals with key tips. Live/blog at 239,594

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

More cruises?  Absolutely!  The new protocols that have been bandied about on board seem to be what we would expect; my DW and I would likely be wearing masks, washing hands, maintaining distance from the other old geezers on the ship, irregardless.  We already thought the serve yourself buffet thing was an obvious vector for Novavirus, but as long as we can sit down in a SS restaurant venue and order off a menu and swill a few glasses of bubbly, we'll be good! 

As to boarding in Ravenna, Italy (versus Venice), in some ways that might be easier.  (Smaller harbor, no "People Movers")  To sail into Venice for a day visit (or overnight) but not have to board there would be fine by me.  We boarded a ship last fall in Venice for a Greek Islands cruise, and spent 10 days beforehand banging around the Po River area:  A night in Asolo, in the foothills above Venice, then 3 nights each in Padua, Bologna & Venice, with a rental car, with visits to Vicenza, Verona, Parma and Ravenna, and a great trip down the Brenta Canal - where the old Venetian rich folks had their uber bling estates for getting out of town in style.  The mosaics of Ravenna are not to be missed - stunning!!  We also stopped in the Eugenean Hills south of Padua (old volcanos) to tour the Gardens of Valsanzibio.  These are among the best in Italy, and were built by a nobleman giving thanks to the Lord for surviving the plague, back in the day!!  I can relate.  

• Like 4

I real the article linked in the original post in this thread, but it doesn't seem to bear much resemblance to cruising on Silversea (or any of the luxury cruise lines).

And let’s be honest… many people love the thought of a cruise because they get to indulge in a bottomless buffet feast. Passengers could no longer serve themselves and pile their plates high with their favorite food.

Maybe on Carnival, but that doesn't describe most Silversea passengers!

A Germany cruise line tested the waters and departed a single river vessel cruise and showed the world the bleak future of cruise lines. Spas and fitness centers were closed. Pools were shutdown.

River cruise ships are smaller than most oceangoing ships. "Pools were shut down"? How many pools on this river cruise? (Most don't even have a pool, and those that do are more like hot tubs, which are too small for distancing.) If pools on land are open with appropriate distancing and capacity controls, there's no reason to think they won't be open similarly on a cruise ship. All the doubting in this article seems to be based on a single river cruise trip.

This and other dubious statements from a website which on its About Us page declares, "Despite the elites’ obsession with diversity, homogenous societies usually have fewer crimes."  Yikes. I think I'll look to other sites for information about my travel plans. 😉

• Like 1