$3,000 Deposit to Enter Cambodia

mugtech

Just saw on a Philippines travel site that any tourist entering Cambodia must pay a $3,000 deposit to cover COVID-19 testing and if possitive quarantine and/or hospitalization costs.  Unspent part is returned upon exit.  There are Sun and Spirit cruises visiting Cambodia, sounds like it applies to them.

I think there should be some type of an insurance package to guarantee these companies compensations in case you fall ill with Covid. They cant just charge you 3000$ for it. I mean even though its a deposit but its still a very big sum of money leave behind. I would be afraid of such a situation. 

• Like 1

$3,000 USD as refundable deposit against the cost of Covid-19 testing AND medical care, including quarantine.  That is all ... that amount might not cover the cost of one's initial ER/ED visit for Covid-19 here in the good old USA. 

Folks that are gung ho diehard for getting back to cruising ASAP,  what is there to not opt-in and start packing ... probably a good idea to check one's passport for validity and carry an extra 60 to 90 days of personal medications ... easier to not worry about getting one's scripts refilled overseas.  Just my opinion, of course. 

3 hours ago, billet said:

It is not relevant to any tourism at this time since Cambodia is not issuing tourist visas. (and because there are no cruises for months) 

There is very little tourism at this time, but NCL is selling cruises scheduled to port in Cambodia in the future.  What would be relevant to post at this time?

• Like 1

What is relevant at this time is that the Cambodian borders are  currently closed to tourists and the protocols to open the borders to tourists have not been published.  Cruises are being sold on the assumption that, by the time of sailing, cruise ships will be allowed to visit. 

Yes, DH and I are visiting Thailand and Cambodia independently next March, before we board the Grand Princess in Singapore. (Well, you know, we hope we are visiting them....) And we've been reading on this.  Currently, we'll pay a $3,000 per person deposit to enter Cambodia, and that will cover the required COVID-19 test at the airport, and if needed, quarantine, medical care, etc. They've made it so that if one person tests positive on the plane, then we have to enter 14 days quarantine. We are keeping a watch on this, as we'll drop Cambodia from our trip rather than navigate this.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, terry&mike said:

Yes, DH and I are visiting Thailand and Cambodia independently next March, before we board the Grand Princess in Singapore. (Well, you know, we hope we are visiting them....) And we've been reading on this.  Currently, we'll pay a $3,000 per person deposit to enter Cambodia, and that will cover the required COVID-19 test at the airport, and if needed, quarantine, medical care, etc. They've made it so that if one person tests positive on the plane, then we have to enter 14 days quarantine. We are keeping a watch on this, as we'll drop Cambodia from our trip rather than navigate this.  

With the current restrictions you will not be able to visit because tourist visas are not available for Thailand or Cambodia.  Undoubtedly everything will change later when their borders open for tourists. 

On 6/28/2020 at 7:33 AM, terry&mike said:

We had planned to go to Thailand, Combodia and Vietnam next Feb/March. We have postponed booking at this point and will probably end up postponing this trip to Nov 21. None of this countries are currently issuing tourists visas. If Cambodia's policy is an indication of things to come, there is no way we will take this trip. I"m not willing to spend 14 days quarantined in any of these locations. And I'm certainly not giving Cambodia government a $3,000 cash deposit under any circumstances. From watching the trip advisor forums, I"m really not anticipating that any of these countries will be offering tourists visas before Jan and not really interested in trying to get a 3 week trip to come together with 1-2 month notice.

OP--thanks for posting this, as I do think it is relevant especially if it  implemented by other countries now or in the future.  

Edited by jaja
  • Thanks 1

I really don't think this would ever be charged on a cruise if this was to still be in effect when cruising recommences. The point is that once you land via airplane you have to get tested for  COVID, if you are positive you are quarantined there and the deposit is meant to reflect that cost. On a cruise ship, they will either require the COVID test before you board, in which case if you are positive you won't. Or they will require the test prior to disembarking, in which case if you are positive you won't. If you arrive via airplane, by the time they realize you have covid the airplane has already turned around and is getting ready for it's next flight and you are stuck. If you arrive via cruise ship, they have somewhere to send you to get you out of cambodia.

Plus, I imagine the cruise lines would negotiate something with any country that requires a deposit like this that would be amenable to both sides. Most cruisers would not be prepared to hand over $3,000 when they leave the ship and can't imagine the cruise line wants to get stuck covering this cost or acting as a bill collector. 

Edited by sanger727

4 minutes ago, sanger727 said:

I really don't think this would ever be charged on a cruise if this was to still be in effect when cruising recommences. The point is that once you land via airplane you have to get tested for  COVID, if you are positive you are quarantined there and the deposit is meant to reflect that cost. On a cruise ship, they will either require the COVID test before you board, in which case if you are positive you won't. Or they will require the test prior to disembarking, in which case if you are positive you won't. If you arrive via airplane, by the time they realize you have covid the airplane has already turned around and is getting ready for it's next flight and you are stuck. If you arrive via cruise ship, they have somewhere to send you to get you out of cambodia.

Except it takes two days to get results, by then the ship is gone.  If this is still in effect when cruises start I would think Cambodia would be skipped.

Just now, mugtech said:

Except it takes two days to get results, by then the ship is gone.  If this is still in effect when cruises start I would think Cambodia would be skipped.

I think they have access to the tests that come back in minutes. Their policy is that if you take the test when you land you wait in a designated part of the airport until the results come back. That isn't going to be for days.

4 minutes ago, sanger727 said:

I think they have access to the tests that come back in minutes. Their policy is that if you take the test when you land you wait in a designated part of the airport until the results come back. That isn't going to be for days.

In Manila it is a 48 hour wait in a quarantine hotel paid by the passenger.

1 minute ago, mugtech said:

In Manila it is a 48 hour wait in a quarantine hotel paid by the passenger.

Wow, more reasons not to go to Cambodia. If they do require tests and the cruise line keeps the stop the test will definitely be done onboard then.

27 minutes ago, roger001 said:

No way in the world would I give Cambodia or any other country, including Mexico expecting to ever see it again.  

I agree (although I did eventually get my VAT refund from Mexico).  Seems like a better plan would be to require everyone to have proof of insurance. No insurance, not getting off the ship in any port that requires it.  Or a bond or CC hold with NCL - let the cruise line manage it in some way without actually giving the money to anyone unless and until needed.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, roger001 said:

No way in the world would I give Cambodia or any other country, including Mexico expecting to ever see it again.  

Or refund in Cambodia funny money instead of US$.