Over 65?

1 hour ago, bouhunter said:

Call it insane if you want, but it's probably the future of cruising for a while.  It's why we moved all our cruises 18+ months out and have other plans this winter.  

I think by "insane" they mean it's not really feasible.  Not that the idea/concept itself is insane.

Edited by BND

4 hours ago, bouhunter said:

It was out there somewhere.  Might have been the EU "plan", I think it talked about separating people by age to attend events and such onboard.

Yes, it was the Eu plan 'recommendation" and that was part of the 49 page plan.

More than once, we sailed a 3/4 night spring break cruise.  The first  was by accident, but the  second one was planned.  We found that as older cruisers, we had opposite routines than the spring breakers and it was terrific. 

We are early risers and had no problem getting most  any pool lounger because  lots  of  the   spring breakers were sleeping  in. 

We had prime seats in most of the  show , because  the  partiers were, well, partying. 

The spring breakers, especially the  girls were amazingly dressed.   They were dressed to impress. 

Diamond/suite/concierge  lounges are empty.  If they have access, they are generally not interested, they  want to   hang with others their age and have the  drink package.  

They come out to party about the  same time we head back to the cabin to go to sleep.  

Extra security is on board.

m

• Like 1

6 hours ago, lovescats5 said:

I could live with being given a suite because of age.  But on Oasis and Quantum class I want a Star Class suite because that is what 70+ should be entitled to. 

How about those of us who are 80+ and ready to sail the oceans blue, still.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Snit13 said:

I hope you are back on board and with the whole range of ages!! 

I have no cruises scheduled, but I'm a positive person and can't wait to cruise again.

All the best to you. 🌊 🚢

• Thanks 1

Here is the article I saw on the subject a few days back.  https://www.travelweekly.com/Cruise-Travel/EU-issues-guidance-for-cruising-return?fbclid=IwAR1g907n5wFwQ9B7NfNZ67A6QjgYu7qCzrXu-Dn7zSlWdb5QlyCE3av1imk.

Here are the guidelines - https://www.healthygateways.eu/Portals/0/plcdocs/EU_HEALTHY_GATEWAYS_COVID-19_RESTARTING_CRUISES.pdf?ver=2020-07-01-115942-557

This only applies if you cruising in the waters of the European Union.  If not.. then it doesn't apply.

The age factor comes into play based on inclusion of the high-risk group. 

As long as the pandemic continues, special precautions may be applied to passengers and crew belonging to high risk groups. Passengers in high risk groups including people over 65 years of age or people of any age with underlying medical conditions (chronic diseases including cardiovascular disease, diabetes, respiratory diseases and immunocompromised individuals) should be advised to visit a doctor for pre-travel medical consultation to assess if they are fit to travel. Activities and services on board cruise ships could be organized according to age group, so that older individuals are separated from other age groups. 

They will be providing information to passengers that are over 65 to consult with their Doctor before traveling - recommendation for passengers over 65 years of age to consult with their medical care provider to obtain advice on their ability to travel;

There is verbiage about limiting interactions among passengers. - 

In order to limit interaction among passengers, among crew, and between crew and passengers, it may be possible to divide passengers and crew into cohorts with appropriate numbers of people. Each group could be given scheduled times for food service, embarking and disembarking and participating in some on board activities. If it is not possible to maintain separate cohorts/groups on board, cohorts/groups should be maintained for shore based activities. Interaction between each cohort should be avoided as much as possible.

There is nothing that says they will split families up like if a husband is 65 and his wife is 64.    But what they are trying to do is make it safe for those that are in a high risk group.   These are guidelines.  They use the word "could".     

Edited by iluvcruzin

30 minutes ago, Snit13 said:

I would say that without a vaccine, you are in a high risk group.  And it would be wonderful for you to be back sailing the ocean blue but not without restrictions to ensure your safety.  This Covid thing is BAD.

15 hours ago, janetz said:

I have read on another site (Bloomberg)that when cruising resumes people over 65 will be separated from those 65 and under onboard?

Does anyone know? 
Thanks ahead 😊

15 hours ago, janetz said:

I have read on another site (Bloomberg)that when cruising resumes people over 65 will be separated from those 65 and under onboard?

Does anyone know? 
Thanks ahead 😊

I wish I was 65 ,I was relatively healthy then

On 7/8/2020 at 4:36 AM, janetz said:

Does anyone know? 
Thanks ahead 😊

Another one of the many things being considered, I think age discrimination will be a problem.

Then there will be the argument of chronological age versus biological age.   There will be some that are chronologically young but if you take one look at them you'd bucket them right in there with the highest risk and give them a biological age over 65.

You can't judge a book by the cover, these things won't fly.   

How about the statistics that Blacks/Latinos are suffering very high mortality rate, perhaps we should separate that way too?

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, chipmaster said:

Another one of the many things being considered, I think age discrimination will be a problem.

Then there will be the argument of chronological age versus biological age.   There will be some that are chronologically young but if you take one look at them you'd bucket them right in there with the highest risk and give them a biological age over 65.

How about the statistics that Blacks/Latinos are suffering very high mortality rate, perhaps we should separate that way too?

Whatever is political correct at the time. Cancel culture may go after cruises as being white privileged?

Edited by Milwaukee Eight

On 7/8/2020 at 7:36 AM, janetz said:

Does anyone know? 
Thanks ahead 😊

That is the most ridiculous thing that I have heard. My wife and I are 8yrs apart in age. I'll be 60 in December. We also sail with our children who are 25 and 28. Some day we may have grandchildren we would like to include. 

23 minutes ago, chipmaster said:

This is so far beyond asinine that I cannot let it stand.

The high mortality rates among populations of color come from the fact that their living situations often do not allow them to socially distance.  Their economic situations do not permit them to "work from home."  They are our front line workers in many places:  drivers of public transportation, grocery store workers, other retail workers.  They work in hospitals in many jobs.  They are more likely to not have access to health care.

All of that has nothing do with with this luxury activity of "cruising".

I am absolutely disgusted that you posted this.,

15 minutes ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

Whatever is political correct at the time. Cancel culture may go after cruises as being white privileged?

And there we go.

• Like 2

On 7/8/2020 at 9:17 AM, janetz said:

And now can not find the link. Ugh

I first heard of this from friends we cruise with.

They have a Alaska cruise booked for June

and they told us that was one of the new quide lines.

They are under 65, we are not 

I will ask where he received his info 😊

I think your friends are trying to ditch you.

On 7/8/2020 at 9:52 AM, cementhands said:

We’re both just over 65 and love younger active people. This would be terrible. But I can understand the logic. Over 65 higher risk factors. High blood pressure and cancer survivor and compromised immune system are key factors. 
Surviving covid19 can compromise lungs heart and the mind. Trying to avoid the risk.

I was diagnosed with high blood pressure at 39. I guess juvenile type 1 diabetics should just pack it in. My 88 yr old father has better blood work results than I do.

1 hour ago, Iamcruzin said:

That is the most ridiculous thing that I have heard. My wife and I are 8yrs apart in age. I'll be 60 in December. We also sail with our children who are 25 and 28. Some day we may have grandchildren we would like to include. 

1 hour ago, Iamcruzin said:

I was diagnosed with high blood pressure at 39. I guess juvenile type 1 diabetics should just pack it in. My 88 yr old father has better blood work results than I do.

Read the guidelines.  In no way is it saying they are separating family members.  This is about protecting people in high risk groups.  And it's a "guideline".  Not mandated.   Hello... there is a pandemic going on. 

Sounds like you are just whining here as if this is something permanent effecting you and your future cruise plans.  That I find ridiculous.

13 minutes ago, iluvcruzin said:

Read the guidelines.  In no way is it saying they are separating family members.  This is about protecting people in high risk groups.  And it's a "guideline".  Not mandated.   Hello... there is a pandemic going on. 

Sounds like you are just whining here as if this is something permanent effecting you and your future cruise plans.  That I find ridiculous.

I was replying to the OP who only supplied a statement and no facts. No whining and no panic because it was such a stupid statement that I never believed could be true

Edited by Iamcruzin
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Merion_Mom said:

This is so far beyond asinine that I cannot let it stand.

The high mortality rates among populations of color come from the fact that their living situations often do not allow them to socially distance.  Their economic situations do not permit them to "work from home."  They are our front line workers in many places:  drivers of public transportation, grocery store workers, other retail workers.  They work in hospitals in many jobs.  They are more likely to not have access to health care.

All of that has nothing do with with this luxury activity of "cruising".

I am absolutely disgusted that you posted this.,

And there we go.

What is disgusting?

I think segregation by age or discrimination by age is also asinine and I can't let that stand.  I see 65 year old far more healthy than some 20 year old these days,LOL

If you want to protect old people, keep them separated, nursing homes seemed to have done really well all over the Western world didn't they!

• Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, chipmaster said:

What is disgusting?

I think segregation by age or discrimination by age is also asinine and I can't let that stand.  I see 65 year old far more healthy than some 20 year old these days,LOL

If you want to protect old people, keep them separated, nursing homes seemed to have done really well all over the Western world didn't they!

Apparently you did not even read my post.  Good work.

• Haha 1

On 7/8/2020 at 2:03 PM, Manateemike said:

Yes, it was the Eu plan 'recommendation" and that was part of the 49 page plan.

The "recommendation" was not to separate people by age, but to offer the older cruisers activities limited to the old folks. A chance to get away from the "younger folks" who have absolutely zero common sense as demonstrated by the unprecedented spike in COVID cases right now.