How Will RCL Handle the EU Ban Against the US?

9 hours ago, Germancruiser said:

I never experienced the Carnival kind of cruise. I do not except similar behaviour on my upcoming, FIRST EVER cruise on a German ship. I avoided those since I prefer a more International Group of people!

@Germancruiser

When are you launching your live review, what will you call it...

Germancruiser Goes Live - Das ist sehr Gut.

Germancruiser Goes Live - Schnitzel, Spätzle und Bier leben aus der Nordsee.

Edited by A&L_Ont

18 hours ago, Goodtime Cruizin said:

Covid... what we know today will change tomorrow. If it doesn't, some form of the media will attempt to change it. Today we're being told that the US is a hot spot. Next month it could be Italy again. Who knows. There is a real good chance that each of us is going to Covid or have already and don't even knowe it. IMO, it's just a matter of time. In fact I think I've had it. I had a very deep chest cold in January. It lasted well over a week and then went into a regular type of cold. The wife's had the same but her's only lasted a couple of days. Anyway,  yesterday I had a blood work up to determine is I now have antibodies that have developed since then. I was told I'd know within a week. I hope I have. I want to just move on. 

For those that are worrying about cruising w/ Covid still out there... it won't happen. It's time everyone understands this. Cruising is not going to happen until a vaccine is developed. 

Let's see, more than 3 times the number of cases per day than in April?  That qualifies for hot spot status.

But many countries are also having record new cases.

2 hours ago, SRF said:

Let's see, more than 3 times the number of cases per day than in April?  That qualifies for hot spot status.

As soon as countries, states, counties, cities, open up, the 'new' cases occur. This virus isn't going away. Shutting down may slow it down. But it's waiting patiently and we know (well most understand) that we just can't stay 'shut in' or shut down forever. It just can't happen. We have to be very smart about fighting this virus. We already know that older people & people w/ health issues tend to be the weakest in the populations to fight it off and are the largest percentages in the death columns. So we have to do whatever is possible to protect these individuals. Unfortunately, the majority of cruisers of the ships fall into this age group. Including me. My health isn't bad, but it isn't as good as a 30 yr old either. But I decided to get out. Enjoy what I can but I also am mindful of the necessary protocals needed to do this. Will it be enough? I don't know yet. But I do know that I can no longer sit in my house as the world goes by. But that's me. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, SRF said:

I have to disagree. Having more cases isn't necessarily to mean 'hot spot', but rather more testing. And then we have situations that the test numbers are inaccurate & flawed. And while we're hearing of more tests being positive, we are seeing far fewer deaths. So if it has to be called a 'hot spot' , I'll take more positive tests w/ less deaths all day long.  

• Like 5

30 minutes ago, Goodtime Cruizin said:

As soon as countries, states, counties, cities, open up, the 'new' cases occur. This virus isn't going away. Shutting down may slow it down. But it's waiting patiently and we know (well most understand) that we just can't stay 'shut in' or shut down forever. It just can't happen. We have to be very smart about fighting this virus. We already know that older people & people w/ health issues tend to be the weakest in the populations to fight it off and are the largest percentages in the death columns. So we have to do whatever is possible to protect these individuals. Unfortunately, the majority of cruisers of the ships fall into this age group. Including me. My health isn't bad, but it isn't as good as a 30 yr old either. But I decided to get out. Enjoy what I can but I also am mindful of the necessary protocals needed to do this. Will it be enough? I don't know yet. But I do know that I can no longer sit in my house as the world goes by. But that's me. 

I’m sorry but this just isn’t true.  Many countries have been opening up and not seeing huge increases like the US has.  Other countries have taken a much slower and responsible approach.  They waited for cases to be trending down for weeks before easing restrictions and lifted those very gradually.  In Canada most areas are now open with only certain restrictions in place.  And our cases continued to drop as we opened. In the entire country we are recording between 300-400 cases a day.  They have seen some outbreaks but because our cases are low we have the ability and manpower to contact trace quickly and test additional people to avoid a large surge.  Other countries have seen similar things.  They have spikes but because the cases are low they can trace things, shut down certain areas as needed and contain it. The US does not have the ability to do this.  There is no way to contain things when people have to wait a week just to get result and when no contact tracing can be done.  

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Goodtime Cruizin said:

I have to disagree. Having more cases isn't necessarily to mean 'hot spot', but rather more testing. And then we have situations that the test numbers are inaccurate & flawed. And while we're hearing of more tests being positive, we are seeing far fewer deaths. So if it has to be called a 'hot spot' , I'll take more positive tests w/ less deaths all day long.  

Again this just isn’t true.  You don’t have higher cases just because you are doing more testing.  In every other country as testing increased cases went down because they were able to contact trace and test close contacts to contain infections.  This hasn’t happened in the US.  And deaths are not going down.  Deaths are increasing and hospitals in some areas of the US are running out of space.  If cases continue to soar like they are there will be no space left.  And it’s not just the death rate.  People who don’t die are getting very sick.  Some could have permanent effects. 

I’m sorry but people need to stop making this a political thing.  It’s not.  This about people’s health.  The US needs to wake up.  

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Canadianmama3 said:

Again this just isn’t true.  You don’t have higher cases just because you are doing more testing.  In every other country as testing increased cases went down because they were able to contact trace and test close contacts to contain infections.  This hasn’t happened in the US.  And deaths are not going down.  Deaths are increasing and hospitals in some areas of the US are running out of space.  If cases continue to soar like they are there will be no space left.  And it’s not just the death rate.  People who don’t die are getting very sick.  Some could have permanent effects. 

I’m sorry but people need to stop making this a political thing.  It’s not.  This about people’s health.  The US needs to wake up.  

I don't believe you're properly informed and will leave it at that.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Goodtime Cruizin said:

I don't believe you're properly informed and will leave it at that.  

Yesterday Florida reported the highest number of deaths since this started.  That’s not because of testing.

I am actually very well informed.  Well informed on things happening in many different countries.  But clearly you are one of those people who won’t open their eyes and look at actual facts and information from medical professionals, not politicians.  You only hear and believe sound bites that align with what you want to hear.  So I won’t waste my time saying anything to you. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Goodtime Cruizin said:

if testing was the cause , then the amount of people go up but the percentages stay the same.

Florida for example had 4% rate for a while before opening up and when they did more testing I think they are at or close to 20%.. thats not due to testing. thats a higher infection rate. science proves that out easily

and deaths lag behind so lets just wait.. first there is a spike in cases, then a few weeks later is a spike in hospitalizations then a few weeks later a spike in ICU and finally a few weeks later, a spike in deaths...

we will see if deaths are lower very very shortly. everything else is following the scientific pattern

12 minutes ago, Goodtime Cruizin said:

So... informed one, why do you suppose that Florida was flat lined forever and then all of a sudden shot up like a rocket? 

they opened too soon. that is the most obvious answer. Just like Texas. You cant control this virus when you have too many cases and you open up everything. Thats why NY is handling it with more testing... They got the numbers down and followed the CDC and government guidelines and it worked. I wish all states followed the CDC and government guidelines

Edited by hftmrock

11 minutes ago, hftmrock said:

they opened too soon. that is the most obvious answer. Just like Texas. You cant control this virus when you have too many cases and you open up everything. Thats why NY is handling it with more testing... They got the numbers down and followed the CDC and government guidelines and it worked. I wish all states followed the CDC and government guidelines

I don't recall that California "opened too soon'' - yet they are having the same issues as Florida and Texas. Time will tell if New York's cases spike again when the quarantines and travel restrictions are lifted.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Goodtime Cruizin said:

So... informed one, why do you suppose that Florida was flat lined forever and then all of a sudden shot up like a rocket? 

lets look at the charts...

May 15: DeSantis announces that on May 18, Florida will enter what he calls “full phase one” of reopening. That includes allowing gyms and restaurants to operate at 50% capacity.

June 3: DeSantis announces that Florida will enter phase two of reopening starting June 5. That means bars, tattoo parlors and other establishments will be able to reopen

image.png.d96dea9c704b5a61a93f4cda480e1977.png

2 minutes ago, NancyIL said:

I don't recall that California "opened too soon'' - yet they are having the same issues as Florida and Texas. Time will tell if New York's cases spike again when the quarantines and travel restrictions are lifted.

California did NOT follow the CDC and government guidelines on when to open which included 14 consecutive days of downward movement in cases and other qualifications

they opened too soon

5 minutes ago, hftmrock said:

lets look at the charts...

May 15: DeSantis announces that on May 18, Florida will enter what he calls “full phase one” of reopening. That includes allowing gyms and restaurants to operate at 50% capacity.

June 3: DeSantis announces that Florida will enter phase two of reopening starting June 5. That means bars, tattoo parlors and other establishments will be able to reopen

image.png.d96dea9c704b5a61a93f4cda480e1977.png

I think what you're missing is in between those two dates was Memorial Day travel and beach vacations galore. Many from the NE trying to escape the CV and crap and heading south to what was a 'safe' place. Only they brought it with them. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Goodtime Cruizin said:

I think what you're missing is in between those two dates was Memorial Day travel and beach vacations galore. Many from the NE trying to escape the CV and crap and heading south to what was a 'safe' place. Only they brought it with them. 

Also - the end of May/early June was the beginning of BLM protests nationwide. For about 2 weeks you would've thought COVID-19 had gone way, because you heard very little about it on the news.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, hftmrock said:

if testing was the cause , then the amount of people go up but the percentages stay the same.

Florida for example had 4% rate for a while before opening up and when they did more testing I think they are at or close to 20%.. thats not due to testing. thats a higher infection rate. science proves that out easily

and deaths lag behind so lets just wait.. first there is a spike in cases, then a few weeks later is a spike in hospitalizations then a few weeks later a spike in ICU and finally a few weeks later, a spike in deaths...

we will see if deaths are lower very very shortly. everything else is following the scientific pattern

If you were local you woukd be aware that a high percentage of labs were only turning in their positive results. 

No negatives made the reports. Screwed tge overall numbers up

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Goodtime Cruizin said:

... Why all of a sudden they now have HUGE increases? It's because of the folks traveling from the rest of the country to Florida, primarily from NY/ NJ brought COVID w/ them....To this day, Ontario still has more deaths than Florida. NY at least double, maybe more as I'm not sure and haven't looked it up.

Thank you!  Yes Florida 4,805 deaths (residents), New York 32,527.  Ontario, however has less deaths at 2,746.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, hftmrock said:

for anyone thinking more testing means more cases.. here is NY stats to prove that wrong. A picture is worth a thousand words. Done right... more tests means LESS positive cases

image.thumb.png.e9882b79c047343a69760ede3f2a579b.png

You're assessment is not correct. If 6/28's test count were performed on 4/5 this picture would look different. More testing will give you results of a 'less' of a percentage of positive tests, but there is no doubt that the more you test, the more total positive test counts will be found.

• Thanks 1

Maybe everyone needs to read the New England Journal of Medicine’s report where they say that masks outside of the medical profession absolutely do not help lessen the spread. But hey, they’re not experts either, are they?  🍷

24 minutes ago, Goodtime Cruizin said:

You're assessment is not correct. If 6/28's test count were performed on 4/5 this picture would look different. More testing will give you results of a 'less' of a percentage of positive tests, but there is no doubt that the more you test, the more total positive test counts will be found.

then explain why florida went from 4% - 20% infection rate

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Wine-O said:

Maybe everyone needs to read the New England Journal of Medicine’s report where they say that masks outside of the medical profession absolutely do not help lessen the spread. But hey, they’re not experts either, are they?  🍷

maybe you need to read this

https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMc2020836

We understand that some people are citing our Perspective article (published on April 1 at NEJM.org)1 as support for discrediting widespread masking. In truth, the intent of our article was to push for more masking, not less. It is apparent that many people with SARS-CoV-2 infection are asymptomatic or presymptomatic yet highly contagious and that these people account for a substantial fraction of all transmissions.2,3 Universal masking helps to prevent such people from spreading virus-laden secretions, whether they recognize that they are infected or not.4

46 minutes ago, hftmrock said:

California did NOT follow the CDC and government guidelines on when to open which included 14 consecutive days of downward movement in cases and other qualifications

they opened too soon

So what do all these have in common? Opening creates spikes. As I stated earlier, it isn't going away. Spikes are going to be with us until a vaccine is developed. We just need to learn how to manage to live our lives and open up as well. It's trying. It's hard. But it's also necessary. We just have to learn as we go and be smart about it. 

• Like 5