How Will RCL Handle the EU Ban Against the US?

4 hours ago, island lady said:

Cruising start up...first passengers boarding:

Reminds me of the groups that get bright neon t-shirts so they all dress the same except the ones in your photo are dressed better.

• Haha 1

Well thanks everyone for adding in your two cents on this (and everyone kept it civil and snark free). I've reviewed what I said earlier about tit for tat and maybe I was wrong, but at first it just seemed like it was. Maybe the US has more to do on their part to make things better, who knows. But I do know, as we all do, it'll have a negative financial impact on both ends of the pond. And like everyone else in here, I just wish this COVID thing would hurry up and go away. Vaccine? I'm open to getting it because soon after it becomes available, the certification of receiving such a vaccine might (and should) be documented to travel abroad worldwide.

Edited by johnjen

On 7/8/2020 at 10:31 PM, Ourusualbeach said:

I posted it once but here it is again.

• Now, even more flexibility! Cruise with Confidence has been extended to allow cancellations up to 48-hours prior to sailing in exchange for a 100% Future Cruise Credit on sailings through April 2022 for bookings made on-or-before August 1, 2020
  • NEW! Book on-or-before August 1, 2020 and take advantage of our best price guaranteeup to 48-hours prior to sailing, ensuring that your clients are getting the best deal!

I’m done with this discussion as we obviously disagree.  Besides what do I know, I’ve only sat though countless webinars with Vickie Freed explaining exactly how this works but if you don’t want to believe what I’m telling you and what is posted that’s your choice. 

From what I sense, you might be a TA? I like what you say in here on other posts as well. Oh, that is a fine lookin' animal, btw.

12 minutes ago, johnjen said:

From what I sense, you might be a TA? I like what you say in here on other posts as well. Oh, that is a fine lookin' animal, btw.

Thanks, yes I am a TA.  Sparky was rescued at 3 moths old.  Someone tied her to the door of the animal shelter at night and abandoned her, she’s been part of our family for 11 years now.

• Like 7

45 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Thanks, yes I am a TA.  Sparky was rescued at 3 moths old.  Someone tied her to the door of the animal shelter at night and abandoned her, she’s been part of our family for 11 years now.

dawwww. We have a pug.

• Like 1

On 7/12/2020 at 9:41 AM, island lady said:

Where and how to eat guinea pig, or cuy, in Lima and rural Peru

Okay, I am so very anxious to cruise again that I am willing to become one of these.....oh my hubby says that I am really not that brave and since he knows me pretty well, I guess I will have to wait until we can be pretty sure it is safe to cruise again.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

This isn't going to work - they are not social distancing and do not have masks on - LOL!!!

Love it 🙂

Lab rats have never been known to use much of their little brains.  LOL!!  😄 

Just kidding GP lovers...I had several as pets as a kid.  Loved them all.  😉 

1 minute ago, island lady said:

Lab rats have never been known to use much of their little brains.  LOL!!  😄 

Just kidding GP lovers...I had several as pets as a kid.  Loved them all.  😉 

My Brother was allergic to cats and dogs.    So I had several guinea pigs as pets too.   Loved them all.   

1 hour ago, Sunshine3601 said:

My Brother was allergic to cats and dogs.    So I had several guinea pigs as pets too.   Loved them all.   

Yup...sooo cute.  And they purr!  My first apartment, manager would not let me have a dog or cat (she was also allergic) so I had the Guinea Pig.  Spoiled little bugger!  Squeeked loudly when I opened the fridge where I kept the 

lettuce. 😄 

2 hours ago, island lady said:

Yup...sooo cute.  And they purr!  My first apartment, manager would not let me have a dog or cat (she was also allergic) so I had the Guinea Pig.  Spoiled little bugger!  Squeeked loudly when I opened the fridge where I kept the 

lettuce. 😄 

Funny Story.    When I was about 10 or 11 yrs. old and came home from girl scout camp apparently exhausted that first night I slept walked while my parents were watching Johnny Carson.   I get one of my guinea pigs out their cage, put on my Dad's lap, went to kitchen get it lettuce and handed to my Dad and went back to bed.     they didn't wake me they watched to see what I would do.    They figure I was exhausted from camping and hardly got any sleep in tent with a bunch of girls for several days and that I must have been worried about my guinea pig being taken care of while I was away.    

Sorry I know this is a cruise blog, but I had to share my story with Island lady.    

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Funny Story.    When I was about 10 or 11 yrs. old and came home from girl scout camp apparently exhausted that first night I slept walked while my parents were watching Johnny Carson.   I get one of my guinea pigs out their cage, put on my Dad's lap, went to kitchen get it lettuce and handed to my Dad and went back to bed.     they didn't wake me they watched to see what I would do.    They figure I was exhausted from camping and hardly got any sleep in tent with a bunch of girls for several days and that I must have been worried about my guinea pig being taken care of while I was away.    

Sorry I know this is a cruise blog, but I had to share my story with Island lady.    

OMG!!  Indeed what a funny and heart warming story!  Thanks for sharing.  And don't worry about being off topic, none of us are cruising right now anyway.  😮  It does us good to hear something positive and light hearted.  Beats the "refunds, Covid, cancellations" etc. threads.  😉 

Edited by island lady
  • Like 1

On 7/8/2020 at 1:29 PM, Canadianmama3 said:

The ban on people from the US entering many counties (including Canada) isn’t retaliation.  Just because some leaders act like that doesn’t mean others do.  The bans are because the cases in the US are out of control, and it seems to the rest of the world that nothing is being done to stop it.  

Other countries have worked very hard and sacrificed a lot to bring their numbers way down.  They don’t want to import new cases.  And the US is a huge hot spot right now. 

I can’t see the bans being lifted until the US gets things under control and to a level similar to other countries.  

This is it in a nutshell.

On 7/8/2020 at 2:17 PM, reallyitsmema said:

I agree with you for the most part. 

Some areas of the US are out of control, not all.  The northeast was hit hard early on and locked down for a long time.  The gradual reopening is still in process.  I am in Massachusetts and we are only in the beginning of phase three, which just started this week for most of the state, with Boston starting next week.  Each phase has multiple steps with two weeks between each at a minimum.  People entering Massachusetts, from all but eight states, have to self quarantine for two weeks.  We currently have a less than 2% positive test rate with over a million test done in our small state alone.  Other states in the northeast have similar progress.

Other areas of the country are regressing.  They opened too soon and too quickly and are now having ridiculously high numbers of positive cases.  Until those areas get their act together, I can totally understand why there are bans against the US.

True and good news for the Commonwealth (my son lives in Wakefield). But decisions made by other countries will be based upon our results as a nation, and that is a grim figure getting worse every day.

On 7/12/2020 at 8:41 AM, island lady said:

Where and how to eat guinea pig, or cuy, in Lima and rural Peru

The one on the right has the same spiked up hair as me! 🙂

Pat......there are a few on this board that will jump your (you know what) if you go off topic. I look forward to seeing two of these folks on future cruises. Should be a pleasant conversation. lol! 

Edited by TYMAN

Covid... what we know today will change tomorrow. If it doesn't, some form of the media will attempt to change it. Today we're being told that the US is a hot spot. Next month it could be Italy again. Who knows. There is a real good chance that each of us is going to Covid or have already and don't even knowe it. IMO, it's just a matter of time. In fact I think I've had it. I had a very deep chest cold in January. It lasted well over a week and then went into a regular type of cold. The wife's had the same but her's only lasted a couple of days. Anyway,  yesterday I had a blood work up to determine is I now have antibodies that have developed since then. I was told I'd know within a week. I hope I have. I want to just move on. 

For those that are worrying about cruising w/ Covid still out there... it won't happen. It's time everyone understands this. Cruising is not going to happen until a vaccine is developed. 

27 minutes ago, TYMAN said:

The one on the right has the same spiked up hair as me! 🙂

Pat......there are a few on this board that will jump your (you know what) if you go off topic. I look forward to seeing two of these folks on future cruises. Should be a pleasant conversation. lol! 

You're right...he does look like you!  All cute and cuddly too.  😄  

We are still determined to keep the Harmony 11/29 cruise with you...will make final payment anyway...and then we will see if we are "good to go"...  😉 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Goodtime Cruizin said:

Covid... what we know today will change tomorrow. If it doesn't, some form of the media will attempt to change it. Today we're being told that the US is a hot spot. Next month it could be Italy again. Who knows. There is a real good chance that each of us is going to Covid or have already and don't even knowe it. IMO, it's just a matter of time. In fact I think I've had it. I had a very deep chest cold in January. It lasted well over a week and then went into a regular type of cold. The wife's had the same but her's only lasted a couple of days. Anyway,  yesterday I had a blood work up to determine is I now have antibodies that have developed since then. I was told I'd know within a week. I hope I have. I want to just move on. 

For those that are worrying about cruising w/ Covid still out there... it won't happen. It's time everyone understands this. Cruising is not going to happen until a vaccine is developed. 

We were on cruises for almost the whole month of January.    Flew home out of FLL the saturday of super bowl weekend.    the airport was crazy busy and everyone was coughing and sneezing.    We had heard about covid while we on our january cruise but didn't about it till sitting in the airport lounge with a lady near me that looked like and sounded like death.     

Several days after we were home my DH was very very sick, with just about every symptom.   He couldn't get out bed, wheezy, etc etc.  I had a severe sore throat, bad headaches, cough and aches and pains.    Took me about 5 or 6 days to feel better but it took my DH nearly 10-days before he was back to feeling "normal".  I am not one to call a doctor for a cold I just figured I had whatever was being passed around in the airport.   I did want to call for my DH but he refused.    I did the antibody test end of May and was told I was negative but I was told it is accuracy is only 50% for the one I had done at labcorp.    So who knows whether we had it or not.     Good luck with your test!

3 hours ago, Goodtime Cruizin said:

Unfortunately it's not known that having had it prevents one from getting it again.  I hope it does!

• Thanks 1

I am booked on one of the short cruises- " the blue journeys" - as they are called. Tui- Cruises newest ship- Mein Schiff 2 !

As another poster already mentioned- it is limited to Germans and just at a 60% capacity. NO BACK TO BACK cruises- they want you off the ship after your time is up!

Quite understandable- another Diamond Princess ( and others) debacle would be hard on the cruise industrie!

I just printed my boarding pass ( a thing I would never have thought doing this year) the questionare is to be filled out on the day of boarding. Where do you come from? Had you any contact with Covid 19 ..and so on and so fort! Very like the Norovirus questionare we all know!

I booked four meals in Speciality Restaurants-  always just tables for one. ( Sailing solo) ! I plan on keeping to myself and just enjoy a few relaxing days. Have to make sure though to pack enough masks- they are mandatory in lifts and when social distancing can not be managed.

Does not bother me at all- those Masks are now part of our daily life- they are still mandatory here and people adhere to the rules- seldom or never that I see people not wearing mask before entering shops and public transportation.

Our life is back to nomal- well almost- no gatherings over 100 people - as far as I know anyway.

Despite the openings the activ cases go down - new infections are on a low level.

I never- ever-  have seen so many people applauding our goverment for their quick actions - even though for some the seemed rather harsh in the beginning! The success proves them right.

This opening of cruises out of Germany are a small- a very small step- but it is a beginning and a sign that life goes on even with Covid 19- if all take messures to keep the numbers down.

• Like 5

On the ship they keep the gathering of people at a minimum- so the Tui- Cruises website stated. The Theater will have more shows then just two- in keeping with social distancing. IF and it is a big if- I am going to the theater at all- I am sure will wear my mask.

Also mentioned on the website is that all tables and chairs are not close together- again to keep social distancing possible!

I am pretty sure that my fellow passengers are diciplined enough to cope with the rules!