The Bistro- Off topic and fun posts!

Host Dan

It's a very cloudy morning in Bar Harbor.  Today's sunrise is from a 2013 Blount Small Ship Adventures cruise from New Orleans to Tampa.  On May 28 we were in Carabelle, Florida:

dawn0528.jpg

Roy

• Like 3

Today's sunrise is from the aftermath of a May 2013 Blount Small Ship Adventures cruisefrom New Orleans to Tampa.  On June 1 the sun came up while I was on Amtrak's Silver Meteor just south of Washington, DC:

dawn0601.jpg

Roy

• Like 3

I don't have a June 3 sunrise so I'm going to June 3.  This is from MS Prinsendam June 3, 2015.  It was taken outside Ijmuiden, Netherlands on the turnaround day of a Back to Back.

dawn0603.jpg

Roy

• Like 3

There are many things that the next generation will not know that many of us experienced such as typewriters, rotary telephones, hardwired telephones wired into jacks, black and white TV for the majority of people, life before cell phones, eight track cassettes, movie rental stores, public payphones (I know some exist around the world but not many in the USA), VCR's,   Or how about the Sears and JC Penney Catalogs or S&H and Green Stamps?  LOL.

Well, now we have lost what once had 1,000 restaurants back in the 1970's.  Yes, Howard Johnson closed its last restaurant.  I remember those car trips we took with our parents for summer vacation and after hours in the car looking for that Howard Johnson's for lunch and having a grilled cheese sandwich, or fried chicken or a hot door with yes French Fries.  We though that was special because other than vacation dining out was rare other than maybe going for a pizza or if you were like us and had a Howard Johnson's near you having one of those dinner specials which was mainly fried food that was mostly bread.  LOL.

Those were the memories.  

And still missing Roy Roger's Restaurants which when we lived in WDC was a favorite of mine in college.

Keith

• Like 1

A couple of pictures from June 4, 2019 on our cruise from Tokyo to San Francisco.   The first is the beautiful Symphony docked Dutch Harbor, Alaska.  The second is a visitor we had in Dutch Harbor.  The eagle was on the railing on deck 7 and not 6 feet from a bunch of people.  If you haven't been to Alaska the scenery is amazing as is the wild life you get to see.

DSC_0342.JPG

DSC_0392.JPG

• Like 4

On 6/4/2022 at 3:51 AM, Keith1010 said:

There are many things that the next generation will not know that many of us experienced such as typewriters, rotary telephones, hardwired telephones wired into jacks, black and white TV for the majority of people, life before cell phones, eight track cassettes, movie rental stores, public payphones (I know some exist around the world but not many in the USA), VCR's,   Or how about the Sears and JC Penney Catalogs or S&H and Green Stamps?  LOL.

You missed carbon paper and WhiteOut!

• Haha 4

3 minutes ago, Keith1010 said:

Our next cruise. We booked the owner's suite.  And the price was right.  

Can't wait.

Keith

IMG_1258.thumb.jpeg.83f6fd905607399f72ca2fd471608123.jpeg

We're recently back from that ship, Keith. Brilliant, quite the party ship - hope you like that sort of thing. Looks like we caused more wear and tear than I thought but the amazing crew will soon sort that. Well, fingers crossed.....

• Haha 5