The Bistro- Off topic and fun posts!

Host Dan

4 hours ago, rafinmd said:

Keith, while Roy Rogers has shrunken significantly, they have not disappeared.  The closest one to me is in Burtonsville, just north of DC.

Roy

Roy that is so good to know.

I have so many fond memories of Roy Rogers.

I pretty much know the menu by heart and remember what my go to order was at the time.

Keith

• Like 1

Oh I so wish I could pick up some of the C wine.  That would make my day.

There are a few wines I have picked up that were on the inclusive menu and some I have ordered on wine.com and when I look at the labels or have some of it I am reminded of the fun times we have had with Crystal.

I wonder by the time we get to California if there might still be some of this for us to buy and ship home.

Keith

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, TER777 said:

I just happened to be driving by so stopped in. The Richmond CA Grocery Outlet has both the Cab and the Chardonnay. There looked to be at least a couple of cases each. 

33 minutes ago, RLMSLL said:

I got some of the Cab and Chardonnay at the local Grocery Outlet this morning.  Nice tip!  Thanks, Beav!

Really glad you both found the Chardonnay. I’ve got to keep looking for some...

• Like 1

One of our favorite memories is a lunch we had at Noma in Copenhagen before one of our Crystal cruises.  Noma was rated #1 restaurant in the world at the time, and it is back in the #1 spot once again.  Noma just started producing pantry items, and for lunch today we enjoyed pasta with an Alfredo sauce to which I added Noma’s Smoked Mushroom Garum.  It was devine!

I plan to have one of Crystal’s C wines with dinner this evening.

it is such a treat when stuck at home to be able to enjoy both a taste of Noma and a bit of Crystal in the same day.  Life is good!

• Like 4

Today I am going to go completely off topic.  Why? Because today is a special Birthday and if it is your Happy Birthday.  It is also the birthday of a well known song writer and musician.  And not just a birthday but a milestone birthday.

It seems like “Yesterday” when Sir Paul McCartney and the Beatles arrived in New York City for the Ed Sullivan Show in 1964 at only 21 years young.   McCartney wrote and performed so many wonderful songs with The Beatles and as a Solo Artist.  He took us to Penny Lane, Back To The U.S.S.R, and on a Yellow Submarine.  Through his music we felt as if we met Eleanor Rigby, Rocky Racoon, Blackbird, Michelle, Another Girl, Martha My Dear, Julian by the way of Hey Jude, and Lady Madonna.  He taught me that Money Can’t Buy Me Love, there could be Eight Days A Week and we could Follow The Sun.  Although some said he wrote  some Silly Love Songs he taught us about Love; Love Me Do, P.S I Love You, All My Loving, And I Love Her.  He wrote My Love for Linda McCartney and each of us who also is and has been in love appreciates that song.  He took us from the Beatles to Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Club Band, to Wings, and all of this on a Magical Mystery Tour.  

He taught me it would be OK With A Little Help From My Friends and when we suffered a loss of a family member or friends we would remember his tribute to John Lennon, Here Today.

We never wanted the Beatles to stop playing and it surely has been a Long and Winding Road,  He took us Here There and Everywhere until it was time for The End and he told us we just needed to Let It Be.

It didn’t end when he broke away to be a solo artist and performed with two of the bands he created.  One was Wings and it at times it felt as if they were a Band On The Run.

In time of trouble, I looked in the mirror to see My Brave Face and when I met Anne Marie, who would become my wife, there would be No More Lonely Nights because it was now the Two Of Us.

As a solo artist and member of The Beatles he took us to the movies and while all the songs were not written by him he played and sang in tune and not Out Of Tune.  We saw Help, Hard Days Night, Yellow Submarine, Live & Let Die, Vanilla Sky just to name a few.

He made albums performing all the instruments himself including various guitars drums and piano along with the songs he wrote and his vocals.

This year one of the final songs he wrote as part of The Beatles which became the title for the movie about The Beatles allowed me to Get Back and as he sang for you to “Get Back To Where You Once Belong”

All I can Say, Say, Say, is Maybe I’m Amazed at all Paul McCartney has accomplished and today on the day he turns 80 years young I can say and sing It’s Your Birthday.  Happy Birthday Sir Paul.  May you continue taking us with you and I’ll Follow The Sun and maybe we might even meet the Fool On The Hill.

Keith

• Like 9

On 6/17/2022 at 6:33 AM, Texas Tillie said:

Lisbon?

Yes the photo was from Lisbon.

On our first few visits we didn't get over there.  Very pretty view.

I remember the hop on hop off buses would stop there. We never took one in Lisbon but we saw them.

There was a guest who we knew for years who was a Colonial in the Korea War and he would share with us many stories.  It was at this spot which was the last time we saw him as he passed a few months later.  So each time I look at the photo I think back to him and his service to our country.

Keith

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I popped into the local Grocery Outlet again today and found additional varieties on the shelves:  Pinot Noir and Merlot along with the Cab and Chardonnay.  Apparently they needed to make more shelf space before putting out the Pinot Noir and Merlot.  I am now fully stocked!  The cashier informed me that wine is 10% off on Wednesdays, but at $5.99 and $6.99 per bottle who needs to wait?  Party time!  🙂🥂🍾

Nice reminders of fond Crystal memories for a long time to come!

• Like 11

16 hours ago, RLMSLL said:

I popped into the local Grocery Outlet again today and found additional varieties on the shelves:  Pinot Noir and Merlot along with the Cab and Chardonnay.  Apparently they needed to make more shelf space before putting out the Pinot Noir and Merlot.  I am now fully stocked!  The cashier informed me that wine is 10% off on Wednesdays, but at $5.99 and $6.99 per bottle who needs to wait?  Party time!  🙂🥂🍾

I remember having the Merlot at lunch on Serenity. When the waiter told me it was a C brand it really surprised me as it was so tasty! Enjoy your discoveries!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 6/18/2022 at 4:09 PM, RLMSLL said:

Curious what state you’re in (besides slightly intoxicated! 😉)? The rest of us are in California...

1 hour ago, BEAV said:

Curious what state you’re in (besides slightly intoxicated! 😉)? The rest of us are in California...

I am in Southern California and have abstained today - so far.  😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, BEAV said:

Thanks! My cousin has been buying it in Huntington Beach and Westminster. 😉

My purchases were in Redondo Beach, and I did not clean them out.  Prior to my second purchase, I was planning on checking out South Pasadena when I will be in the area in a few days.  However I think I have reached the capacity of what my liver can withstand over the next year or two.  😯  I will leave the remaining supply for others to discover.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, Mr Luxury said:

If Crystal ever rise from the ashes I'll buy you six cases Keith.

How about if we just settle for one or two bottles of my choice of wine.  That will reduce your shipping bill to make up for the cost of the wine which will be much higher for those two bottles.  🤣

Keith

• Thanks 1

One of the many reasons why we love to cruise is the special views we enjoy from the ship of the water.  Similarly, I am attracted to locations around the world located near bays, oceans and other bodies of water such as this one while spending a few days in Australia after we departed Serenity in March of 2020.

IMG_9869.thumb.jpeg.eb3c6c1338ee5b9a1b52455bd494ff28.jpeg

I grew up on an "Island" and while I enjoyed the time I have come to appreciate it even more as I look back at the experience.  Other than the Bay Area, other places we have lived it take hours to get to a beach and in some cases it involved at least an overnight.  Where I grew up I could be to a beach in very short order and actually several different beaches.

What a beautiful world.and What a wonderful world.

Keith

• Like 2