Cunard new build.

majortom10

After today's press release from Carnival it looks like the new build due in 2022 will now not be delivered until 2023. Was thinking of booking on her for 40th wedding anniversary but obviously will not happen now.

6 minutes ago, Ray66 said:

I haven't seen that anywhere so thanks for the update.

Disappointing but understandable I suppose.

Carnival released a second quarter business update here:-

https://www.londonstockexchange.com/news-article/CCL/carnival-provides-second-quarter-business-update/14611641

• 3 months later...

https://www.archbigicarita.eu/en/portfolio/asuka-ii-2-2/

Possibly some details regarding the new ship. This web page contains details regarding build 6274 in the fincantieri ship yard which is the cunard new build. Archi bigi carnita is a firm of naval architects who have worked on several carnival ships. You can see examples of their work on their site.

• Thanks 1

On 10/14/2020 at 12:59 AM, Aspidestra99 said:

Possibly some details regarding the new ship. This web page contains details regarding build 6274 in the fincantieri ship yard which is the cunard new build. Archi bigi carnita is a firm of naval architects who have worked on several carnival ships. You can see examples of their work on their site.

I see a list of locations but just a big empty space on the left of the list - is there supposed to be any imagery on that page?

On 10/14/2020 at 12:59 AM, Aspidestra99 said:

The link is just to a high level deck plan, which gives a flavour of what the new ship may look like.They haven't released any imagery as far as I can tell.

You can navigate from the web page to the main site which has images from some of their other design projects which include work on QV and QM2 for Cunard and  for other cruise lines such as Virgin and Carnival.

FWIW, Cunard has taken down the official Twitter page for the new ship which was #CUN4RD.  They had made no updates after the first steel was cut just over a year ago.  If we follow QM2's construction timeline there would normally have been a "first block" ceremony months ago. 

11 hours ago, newjoisey said:

i would be surprised if cunard went forward on this 

If I was Simon I'd cancel the project and pay the fees.  Most of the business case assumptions behind it are out the window.  There is no longer 6% annual growth in cruising.  The design is pre-COVID.  And over time more potential passengers will care about environmental issues.  If you look at Viking etc. there is a subtle shift in attitudes.  Even an army of social media interns can't greenwash the barges of heavy fuel oil burned every week.   

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, ew101 said:

If I was Simon I'd cancel the project and pay the fees.  Most of the business case assumptions behind it are out the window.  There is no longer 6% annual growth in cruising.  The design is pre-COVID.  And over time more potential passengers will care about environmental issues.  If you look at Viking etc. there is a subtle shift in attitudes.  Even an army of social media interns can't greenwash the barges of heavy fuel oil burned every week.   

you make a good case....sadly though. The bean counters will have to roll some dice on this ......is it good timing to build now [2023] and have it up and going ,post vaccine and cruise come back . Or get out the for sale signs and bail [pun] while they still have a name 

Anything at this point is speculation since Cunard has been silent on the progress of the new build after the steel cutting announcement.  There would have been five months of construction progress before the shiypard operations were suspended.  Besides Cunard the only people who would know how far along is the ship would be the shipyard and of course they won't release anything without client approval.  

Recently the internet site Pinterest spent over $80M USD to cancel their lease for a huge amount of floor space in a major city office building under construction. The "work from home" concept has forced companies to reconsider the need to lease expensive office space and to subsidize company cafeterias and gyms.  Businesses do indeed make calculations on how much it costs to cancel a project versus going ahead with a concept that is no longer economically viable. 

• Like 1

Changing  the  subject,  if it is built it will have a lot less outside/"topdeck" space than the rest of the Cunard fleet. Ignoring balconies which are only in the sun for at most half a day and then when the sun is below 60 degrees There will be at most only one deck maximium worth of sunbathing space.

Thus length times beam divided by numer of passengers gives an index thats proportional to top deck space per passenger. The bigger the ship the smaller the index ie less outside space per passenger ,  the only exception is QM which has more outside space than expected for its size

The huge new 5-6000 passenger ships Iona,  MSC Virtuosa etc  have an index of 25, half that of the current Cunard ships

The large medium sized ships , e.g. P&O Britannia have an index of 43

The Vista class ships have an index of 54

The Queen Mary stands out with having much more outside space than expected for it's size with an index of 54

Regent has an index of 80 to 90

Seabourn  has an index of 100 plus

Anyway back to the new Cunard ship , at 115000 and 3000 passengers comes out at 40, below the current Cunard level.

• Like 2

They ( Cunard) kept very silent even before the Virus stroke. I am not really sure anymore that there will be a new built for Cunard- maybe the so far done work on the ship will be transfered to another one of Carnivals Lines.

A Cunard new built without the propper prommenade deck  ( as they planed)  would not even be a " real Cunarder"! My opinion- of course.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Just received a promo email from Cunard that included a statement regarding the new ship:

"Work continues on Cunard's new ship, and 249th in our 180 year history, with the keel of the main section (troncone) being laid in the summer. We're very much looking forward to taking delivery of Cunard's new ship, but given the impact of the current situation, we are reviewing a new timeline."

FWIW, Cunrad's Twitter page for the ship, #CUN4RD, is back up although there is nothing more recent than the October 2019 steel cutting announcement.

• 2 weeks later...
20 hours ago, Cruise Wonderland said:

The Cunard new ship is listed in the port schedule of Cadiz for Jun / Sep / Oct / Nov / Dec 2022.

Of course it could just be temporary, since nobody knows whether the ship can be delivered on time.

image.thumb.png.b2fbd6dab1c98d3c77cfe5d7b8fb3ba2.png

The cruise calls there should be really new, last week they weren't listed there

• 2 weeks later...