Ships to sail at reduced capacity until AT LEAST 2022

molly361

8 minutes ago, bbornino said:

Last week we booked 3 cabins on the Apr 19 Celebrity Reflection.  There were no inside or Oceanview cabins available. I presume capacity was reduced by bloocking off the cheap cabins.

Good observation, wouldn't have thought of that lol

I'm seeing it on all my 2020-21 bookings....ppl are cancelling or shifting and the cabins aren't been put back into inventory. That is how they are reducing pax. No one is going to get booted. Then I would think they will hire back less crew and give each their own cabin to minimize germ spread, using ones on decks 2,3, and maybe 4 (depending on size of ship.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, bbornino said:

Last week we booked 3 cabins on the Apr 19 Celebrity Reflection.  There were no inside or Oceanview cabins available. I presume capacity was reduced by bloocking off the cheap cabins.

That's kind of what I was expecting, but the first actual evidence I've seen.  --- Block off the lower price rooms, force people into the higher priced suites, thereby cutting occupancy, but still maintaining the high margin passengers.

1 minute ago, fandangocruiser said:

That's kind of what I was expecting, but the first actual evidence I've seen.  --- Block off the lower price rooms, force people into the higher priced suites, thereby cutting occupancy, but still maintaining the high margin passengers.

Yield management and revenue optimization at work.

Do you mean the days of bargain price cruising is over forever?

3 minutes ago, drsel said:
52 minutes ago, fandangocruiser said:

Do you mean the days of bargain price cruising is over forever?

I hope not.. Forever is a long, long time.  However, as long as we are wearing masks and social distancing, cruise ships will have to control capacity, which most likely means sell the high margin rooms, and let the employees use some of the inside rooms.

Honestly, I dont understand how much more capacity they are going to limit.. especially on those big ships. 100 people ? 500? I doubt that there will be that many. One of the reasons to it is that the ship has to accomodate a certain number of people just to be prfitable for the company. Also, there is a margin and they wont just keep another 100-200 cabins empty

12 minutes ago, Roger88 said:

Honestly, I dont understand how much more capacity they are going to limit.. especially on those big ships. 100 people ? 500? I doubt that there will be that many. One of the reasons to it is that the ship has to accomodate a certain number of people just to be prfitable for the company. Also, there is a margin and they wont just keep another 100-200 cabins empty

They may not be as profitable as in the past, but I'm betting that given a choice of reduce occupancy or no sailing, they'll choose reduced occupancy.  

5 hours ago, jdixon0631 said:

Not sure if limited capacity is happening on my 10/18/20 breeze cruise. I looked today and the sailing finally showed back up on carnival site. They have blocks of cabins available to book. I really thought carnival would skip cabins like most restaurants skip tables now

DC3D5E2A-14AF-43D4-AD91-227F16D662AD.png

They are selling this cruise knowing it is going to be canceled so they can get people to give them an interest free loan.

4 hours ago, Roger88 said:

I think that is the whole problem, the cruise lines don’t have a plan, at least one that is going to satisfy the CDC. For starters, in my opinion, the cruise lines should announce something similar to we will start off with only 3-4 day cruises, the ships will be capped at 50% capacity, the cruise fares will be significantly higher to offset the lower number of passengers, etc.  Having a proactive plan like that would be a huge step in the right direction.

Instead it seems the cruise lines are doing nothing to react to this virus. You can go on the website of any major cruise line and still book cruises for 7-8 days and even longer in the near future. It seems all the cruise lines are interested in is having people to continue booking cruises so they receive some revenue, which on the surface I don’t have an issue with. But it appears to me the cruise lines are planning that one day they will be given the green light by the CDC to resume cruising as before, which I don’t see happening. 

On 7/10/2020 at 5:46 PM, Saint Greg said:

Unless you've already booked at a lower price. 

200.gif

I’m already booked on a cruise for January 2021. It is a 14 day Journey cruise that was open for bookings BEFORE this pandemic hit, so it’s pretty full. What will they do about us? Perhaps they hope people will cancel, out of fear of cruising, to give us a reduce capacity? 🤷‍♀️

13 hours ago, ksolliday said:

Hmmm.. interesting discussion on single fares paying double.  Obviously the poster who said it was fair for singles but not families has never had to pay the onerous (and unfair) double fee.  I am with Saint Greg... and Jammen54... 150% - seems reasonable.   When I write the check for double, not so much!!!!  Love cruising, hate the single  (double!!) fee!!!!!!  Just my 2 cents worth... er, wait - 4 cents worth 🙂

So you would be happy if you could put in your 3 cents worth?😉

55 minutes ago, grandmarnnurse said:

I’m already booked on a cruise for January 2021. It is a 14 day Journey cruise that was open for bookings BEFORE this pandemic hit, so it’s pretty full. What will they do about us? Perhaps they hope people will cancel, out of fear of cruising, to give us a reduce capacity? 🤷‍♀️

The other possibility unfortunately is that it gets cancelled, 0% capacity.

On 7/10/2020 at 6:21 PM, SDPadreFan said:

But it is ok to charge a single person almost double? Or a widower simply because their spouse passed away. Because that is the current situation. Doesn't effect me, I'm married to my life mate, but I do understand Saint Greg's point of view. Deals for families are ok, but not for individuals. By what rational?

Seriously? Young children aren’t supposed to stay in the same room as their parent/parents? I know single mothers/fathers who sail with their children. Children, NOT one child. Are you actually suggesting children in one room, parent in another? 🤣Hmmm! That would definitely not be an option, unless you would like to see small children running rampant. I don’t think lines should charge double for a solo. There are some lines who have gone to not charging a high single supplement. Perhaps others will follow. But I doubt seriously splitting families is the option. 

8 hours ago, jdixon0631 said:

And that is shady as hell to sell something knowing that those ship have zero chance of sailing

True, but many people have not heard of the phrase "Buyer Beware".  If a higher percentage of people did their due diligence, then Carnival and other lines would not have the little extra cash flow that is being generated from this selling scheme.

17 minutes ago, SNJCruisers said:

True, but many people have not heard of the phrase "Buyer Beware".  If a higher percentage of people did their due diligence, then Carnival and other lines would not have the little extra cash flow that is being generated from this selling scheme.

I don’t remember the details , but didn’t Bernie Madoff go to prison for a similar scheme. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jdixon0631 said:

I don’t remember the details , but didn’t Bernie Madoff go to prison for a similar scheme. 

So Donald Arnold says Carnival hasn't developed COVID protocols ... yet Carnival is still marketing & selling cruises. 😲

You'd think this Three Card Monte game - which the cruise lines have been playing since March - would have worn out any loyalist's patience. But we'll still find a boatload of folks here defending it.

Let's break it down. Cruise line CEO Wimpy is offering this deal .... but take it quick before all the good cabins sell out:

hamburger-today.jpg

10 hours ago, bbornino said:

Last week we booked for 2 July 9th 2021. inside cabin (we are rarely in the room) at a unheard of price of $100pp with 102 port/tax/fee. And we get the $100 back in room credit. so the cheap rooms are not being blocked.

Edited by S and D cruisers

11 hours ago, bbornino said:

With the cruise lines advertising that they are working to avoid recirculating air within the ship, it may be that interior cabins are blocked off until they resolve how to pipe in all fresh air to interior cabins. 

It's also easier to quarantine people in balcony cabins without them freaking out from claustrophobia... plus it would boost the coronavirus contamination in the recirculated air if they were locked in interior cabins.

Interior cabins are still available if you call the cruise lines directly.  While balconies are available, they'll try to upsell you as it's currently their safest option for your health.  It is in the cruise lines' best interest to avoid having plague ships dominate headlines soon after the industry resumes active operations.

As a frequent solo cruiser since my husband died, I've often opted for interior cabins and spent most the time out and about.  My next cruises will surely be in balcony cabins, with the balcony door wide open for as much fresh air as possible.  And I may opt for more time spent on that private balcony when it's facing the sun rather than time on deck with lounge chairs butted up against each other.

10 minutes ago, StCroixCruiser said:

With the cruise lines advertising that they are working to avoid recirculating air within the ship, it may be that interior cabins are blocked off until they resolve how to pipe in all fresh air to interior cabins. 

It's also easier to quarantine people in balcony cabins without them freaking out from claustrophobia... plus it would boost the coronavirus contamination in the recirculated air if they were locked in interior cabins.

Interior cabins are still available if you call the cruise lines directly.  While balconies are available, they'll try to upsell you as it's currently their safest option for your health.  It is in the cruise lines' best interest to avoid having plague ships dominate headlines soon after the industry resumes active operations.

As a frequent solo cruiser since my husband died, I've often opted for interior cabins and spent most the time out and about.  My next cruises will surely be in balcony cabins, with the balcony door wide open for as much fresh air as possible.  And I may opt for more time spent on that private balcony when it's facing the sun rather than time on deck with lounge chairs butted up against each other.

If I'm not mistaken our resident ship engineer, @chengkp75, has often said that balcony doors wide open screws up the air conditioning for all nearby cabins.

3 hours ago, bays said:

Seriously? Young children aren’t supposed to stay in the same room as their parent/parents? I know single mothers/fathers who sail with their children. Children, NOT one child. Are you actually suggesting children in one room, parent in another? 🤣Hmmm! That would definitely not be an option, unless you would like to see small children running rampant. I don’t think lines should charge double for a solo. There are some lines who have gone to not charging a high single supplement. Perhaps others will follow. But I doubt seriously splitting families is the option. 

Kinda hard to figure out how my original post that you quoted relates to children and where they stay (post 17 in this thread). And I certainly never made any suggestions ("Are you actually suggesting...") regarding children. But I'm sure you felt better after your rant.

Edited by SDPadreFan

5 hours ago, grandmarnnurse said:

Hopefully they were able to cut it off before it reached whatever their reduced capacity number is. I have never been on a journeys cruise so this is total speculation but I would think it would already be reduced to some extent. I would think you have fewer instances of 3,4,5 people in a cabin on a two week cruise in January.

19 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

If I'm not mistaken our resident ship engineer, @chengkp75, has often said that balcony doors wide open screws up the air conditioning for all nearby cabins.

I'm less worried about a/c than I am about dying due to exposure to infection from other cruisers.  The a/c only affects other cabins if they are recirculating air amongst groups of cabins.  The cruise lines have stated they are moving away from shared air.  If each cabin's air system is isolated, then my cabin won't be affecting the temperature in other cabins nearby.  If they are sharing recirculated air amongst groups of cabins, I definitely want to reduce the potential infection rate in my cabin by augmenting with outside air.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, jdixon0631 said:

And that is shady as hell to sell something knowing that those ship have zero chance of sailing

They are not shady, they just don't know. Don't you think they want to sail ans make money

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Last week we booked for 2 July 9th 2021. inside cabin (we are rarely in the room) at a unheard of price of $100pp with 102 port/tax/fee. And we get the $100 back in room credit. so the cheap rooms are not being blocked.

Which was this cruise for only $202 ?

I can't find any July 9th 2021 departure so cheap on any cruise line.