COVID-19 related discussions

Paulchili

7 minutes ago, Vertygo said:

I'm getting ready to play Monopoly via FaceTime with 12 & 10 year old grandkids who live in OK. Was looking forward to flying them out to San Diego for a week this summer, but cancelled, so this will have to do for now. All those games are great ideas, need to try the Bingo😁

Wonder how virtual Bunco would work with my friends??

Was thinking on Monopoly and couldn't figure out how to do it. But wouldn't be all that hard would it? Sorry about your grandkids cancelled trip 😞

What would we do without FT?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Petoonya said:

Was thinking on Monopoly and couldn't figure out how to do it. But wouldn't be all that hard would it? Sorry about your grandkids cancelled trip 😞

Just one of many trips cancelled, including 4/21 TA. Trying to turn lemons into lemonade & booked 4/22 Papeete to LA instead. Hope hubby, who has early-onset Alzheimer's, will still be able to travel by then. (For the Monopoly, we're setting up 2 boards & shadowing each other-sorry if this doesn't apply to cruising🙄)

23 minutes ago, Vertygo said:

I'm getting ready to play Monopoly via FaceTime with 12 & 10 year old grandkids who live in OK. Was looking forward to flying them out to San Diego for a week this summer, but cancelled, so this will have to do for now. All those games are great ideas, need to try the Bingo😁

Wonder how virtual Bunco would work with my friends??

We have been playing Bingo via Zoom with family in Argentina and other family in Oregon every weekend and all 3 generations have lots of fun - even older grandchildren!

• Like 2

Hey Lyn,

Stu and I are doing  great (a little bored) but talking to lots of friends and kids,grandkids and greatgrandkids..talking to the boss about once a week to see how things are going in Florida..will keep you updated when allowed to..

Just wanted you to know i didnt know how to ignore someone so thanks for telling us..what a pleasure not having to read her comments anymore..

Thank you again, stay well and look forward to seeing you on O in the near future..(whenever near is)

Love and stuff,

Jancruz1

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Jancruz said:

Hey Lyn,

Stu and I are doing  great (a little bored) but talking to lots of friends and kids,grandkids and greatgrandkids..talking to the boss about once a week to see how things are going in Florida..will keep you updated when allowed to..

Just wanted you to know i didnt know how to ignore someone so thanks for telling us..what a pleasure not having to read her comments anymore..

Thank you again, stay well and look forward to seeing you on O in the near future..(whenever near is)

Love and stuff,

Jancruz1

Glad you are doing well

all the best to you both & hope to see you  on O  whenever  it is  safe sailing

Take care

Lyn

2 hours ago, Vertygo said:

Just one of many trips cancelled, including 4/21 TA. Trying to turn lemons into lemonade & booked 4/22 Papeete to LA instead. Hope hubby, who has early-onset Alzheimer's, will still be able to travel by then. (For the Monopoly, we're setting up 2 boards & shadowing each other-sorry if this doesn't apply to cruising🙄)

With you on the cancelled trips. We were on the 4/20 Papeete-SF and a May Alaska. Easy come, easy go but not easy when it comes to disappointment on seeing grandkids. Loved 4/18 Sirena Papeete-LA. We're shadowing each other on the Alzheimer's husbands although my guy's isn't early onset. Thanks for the heads up on two board Monopoly (as you say though, at the risk of being banished to the Floataway Lounge.)

My extended family (but not kids) all live in Encinitas 😃

6 minutes ago, Petoonya said:

With you on the cancelled trips. We were on the 4/20 Papeete-SF and a May Alaska. Easy come, easy go but not easy when it comes to disappointment on seeing grandkids. Loved 4/18 Sirena Papeete-LA. We're shadowing each other on the Alzheimer's husbands although my guy's isn't early onset. Thanks for the heads up on two board Monopoly (as you say though, at the risk of being banished to the Floataway Lounge.)

My extended family (but not kids) all live in Encinitas 😃

Give me a heads-up when you get down to Encinitas some day, would love to meet up on dry land!!

10 hours ago, Petoonya said:

How about Pictionary?  We had great fun as a family with this one.  I may translate to virtual play very nicely.

• Like 1

@Floridastorm commented in the "Riviera Penthouse Suite" thread that cabin selection can be an issue (during normal cruising times) but for now we are at the mercy of governments when it comes to cruising again.  I just paraphrased, but I think I captured the gist.  

I would just like to say that I think that for now, we are more at the mercy of what's going on right now in Florida as it relates to COVID numbers on the rise and the lack of social distancing/mask use in some areas.  I love our neighbors to the south but I wish some control over the numbers could be resumed.  Honestly not judging though, as our numbers have risen here as well.  I just can't see embarkation of any ship occurring from a Florida port even if the CDC gave their blessing.  Such a frustrating mess!

Will adequate mitigation measures combined with better treatments and a possible vaccine be enough to get things rolling again?  Time will tell.

I finally know someone who has contracted COVID.  She is a nurse practitioner in an area hospital.  Her diagnosis came in on Thursday.  She describes it as a really bad cold and after a few days, is feeling much better.  So I guess this is a mild case?  Would people start to feel better if more information on the recovery process were addressed?  Just wondering. 

Edited by Georgia_Peaches

19 minutes ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

I would just like to say that I think that for now, we are more at the mercy of what's going on right now in Florida as it relates to COVID numbers on the rise and the lack of social distancing/mask use in some areas.  I love our neighbors to the south but I wish some control over the numbers could be resumed.  Honestly not judging though, as our numbers have risen here as well.  I just can't see embarkation of any ship occurring from a Florida port even if the CDC gave their blessing.  Such a frustrating mess!

On behalf of the State of Florida, I apologize. We were doing "OK" until some got too cocky and others continued believing that the virus wasn't a real threat. Let's hope that it's not too late for the mandatory face mask order in Miami-Dade County to make a difference.

• Like 1

There is an old 'Herman' cartoon where the patient is sitting in the exam room, a huge band-aid covering his back. The doctor asks "d'you want me to pull it off fast, or slow?"

So it is with Florida. It's too late, esp. once you realise that for every successfully diagnosed case, there are perhaps 8-10 more asymptomatic cases going uncaught. The virus is going to pick off 1-1.5% of Florida's population. The only question is, fast, or slow? 

7 minutes ago, Shawnino said:

There is an old 'Herman' cartoon where the patient is sitting in the exam room, a huge band-aid covering his back. The doctor asks "d'you want me to pull it off fast, or slow?"

So it is with Florida. It's too late, esp. once you realise that for every successfully diagnosed case, there are perhaps 8-10 more asymptomatic cases going uncaught. The virus is going to pick off 1-1.5% of Florida's population. The only question is, fast, or slow? 

I have friends here that have turned one of their properties into an Airbnb. Nice house, in the country, sitting on 35 acres. Elderly couple from FL came in and rented it full time back in June through October. . Before that a family from NYC had it for a month.

If one is 70+, and has the money, maybe there are some places they don’t need/want to be over the next 4 months or so.

Regardless of the personal inconvenience, I would never currently leave my parents in a nursing home! 

2 hours ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

How about Pictionary?  We had great fun as a family with this one.  I may translate to virtual play very nicely.

Love it Peaches! And something the little ones can play too. Have to add this to our game repertoire.

I still have our packed suitcases for Tahiti 4/20 that was cancelled packed and in my guest bedroom. I know it's weird but my Alzheimers husband says it would be bad luck to unpack them for our hoped-for trip next year. If he says so I'm keeping them packed. But I have all our various Facetime games stacked in there next to the suitcases waiting for the next set of grandkids to call and want to play. Friday was a looooooong playing game- 3 sets of kids called.

Husband is too debilitated to play but so tickled by the games. He definitely understands that he *might* get to cruise to Tahiti next year and asked if Tahiti has Facetime. Cruising and Tahiti has some remarkable effects on people with memory deficits 😉

• Like 3

13 hours ago, basor said:

We have been playing Bingo via Zoom with family in Argentina and other family in Oregon every weekend and all 3 generations have lots of fun - even older grandchildren!

Fun Basor. Great inter-generational game to play with COVID or without!

2 hours ago, Queen of DaNile said:

On behalf of the State of Florida, I apologize. We were doing "OK" until some got too cocky and others continued believing that the virus wasn't a real threat. Let's hope that it's not too late for the mandatory face mask order in Miami-Dade County to make a difference.

I cannot believe our local and state leaders are letting businesses and political leaders continue to make such poor choices right now with numbers still rising.  I am afraid to look at today's numbers.  But I also cannot believe our hotels are still full of people from elsewhere.

1 hour ago, pinotlover said:

I have friends here that have turned one of their properties into an Airbnb. Nice house, in the country, sitting on 35 acres. Elderly couple from FL came in and rented it full time back in June through October. . Before that a family from NYC had it for a month.

If one is 70+, and has the money, maybe there are some places they don’t need/want to be over the next 4 months or so.

Regardless of the personal inconvenience, I would never currently leave my parents in a nursing home! 

Not leaving just staying home but somewhere in the country sounds good now.  DH and his brothers had to decide whether to put failing 97 yr old mother in assisted living.  We are lucky that one brother had room for her in his isolated country home.  She is not happy but she is safer than alone at her senior complex right now.

1 minute ago, tvmovielover said:

I cannot believe our local and state leaders are letting businesses and political leaders continue to make such poor choices right now with numbers still rising.  I am afraid to look at today's numbers.  But I also cannot believe our hotels are still full of people from elsewhere.

Not that long ago   your Governor  would not let healthy people off  cruise ships for fear of over whelming the medical system there 🙄

12 hours ago, Petoonya said:

Easy come, easy go but not easy when it comes to disappointment on seeing grandkids.

Oh, the grands were going on the cruises also. Well, that is a double downer for sure.

2 hours ago, pinotlover said:

Well, I guess you have enough family and friends to give 24/365 care. That is truly wonderful.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, tvmovielover said:

She is not happy but she is safer than alone at her senior complex right now

Now that IS too bad. The place we're looking at has changed a lot of their communal activities but no one is "alone." They still get meals, house keeping, assistance with bathing or whatever they need. And in addition to the special programming they get over their tv, they're also doing webinars. And their annual "Art Gala" will be virtual this year.

• Like 1