CDC extends no-sail order for cruises until Oct. 1

Turn 8A

3 minutes ago, GrJ Berkshire said:

But then he will sail on them?......... Cannot be US citizens.........Most other nationals are limited re : international movement....... And where will they get the crew from?...........

Sorry, can we get real....... The CDC is no more inactive on this than all other Western  nations, Good to see at least one US agency taking this pandemic seriously.

Not sure what you mean by "Cannot be US citizens..."  There is no law that U.S. citizens cannot board a ship.  Almost all of the crew and most officers are not from the U.S. They would be flying from their home country to wherever the ship is (assuming that flights are going).  Regent could go the same places that other ships are going.

We have been going through this for almost 4 1/2 months.  Things have changed a lot during that time and will likely change more between now and September 30th.

12 minutes ago, Travelcat2 said:

There is no law that U.S. citizens cannot board a ship.

The quote is correct however right now there are many countries US Citizens cannot enter so while no law against boarding cruise ships there are laws right now in many countries that US citizens cannot enter and if US citizens cannot enter they cannot board cruise ships ported in those countries. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, GrJ Berkshire said:

But then he will sail on them?......... Cannot be US citizens.........Most other nationals are limited re : international movement....... And where will they get the crew from?...........

Sorry, can we get real....... The CDC is no more inactive on this than all other Western  nations, Good to see at least one US agency taking this pandemic seriously.

Sorry my simple question upset you. It was in reply to what rallydave posted. 

US citizens, and British citizens for that matter, are not the only group to enjoy cruising. From what I have read some ships...limited for sure....are sailing, outside US waters. Some other governmental bodies in other parts of the world have apparently already set standards for cruise ships.

As TC said a lot has changed from March until now and I am sure a lot will change before this is over or at least we come to terms with the fact we to have to live with the virus....be that a vaccine, a cure or herd immunity. Plus, if a country is accepting US citizens and there is a flight there, we can travel. My son and grandson just flew to the Caribbean and took a sailing trip. Crazy I know, but the point is we can travel.  

But if a Regent ship...the Mariner?  or Splendor?....were in a port that is open to  us and we could get a flight, we could sail. Granted that is not very realistic at the moment.    

Edited by cwn
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, rallydave said:

The quote is correct however right now there are many countries US Citizens cannot enter so while no law against boarding cruise ships there are laws right now in many countries that US citizens cannot enter and if US citizens cannot enter they cannot board cruise ships ported in those countries. 

Obviously this is true.  I was not thinking of foreign cruise companies that are not affected by the cruise ban.  If any of the "big four" luxury cruise lines decide to break with the CDC and sail overseas, they would only be stopping in ports where U.S. citizens are allowed.  

cwn:  While I may be a minority, I am glad to hear that your son and grandson flew to the Caribbean.  There are a lot of people flying and I feel that airplanes are pretty safe.  The issue at the moment are the limited places that U.S. citizens can travel.  There are a few countries that plan by open by October 1st.

13 minutes ago, Travelcat2 said:

I was not thinking of foreign cruise companies that are not affected by the cruise ban.

Confusing comment.  First of all there are no US Ocean Cruise Companies.  The CDC No Sail Directive covers only ships traversing US waters no matter where the companies are registered or headquartered.  And the "big four" luxury cruise lines along with all other Ocean Cruise Lines currently have all rights to cruise outside US waters and sail wherever they choose outside US waters as CDC only has control over cruise ships traversing US waters so choosing to cruise outside US waters would have no effect on dealings with CDC.

• Like 3

On 7/18/2020 at 5:48 PM, howiefrommd said:

The funny (if there can be one) thing with the current measles outbreak is almost all of the younger docs have never seen measles.  When measles started presenting in the ER and offices, the docs went went right to google.  Things have changed lol 

I'm not surprised.  When my kids were young, I asked the pediatrician when they would get their smallpox shot and was told "we don't do that anymore, smallpox is completely irradicated off the face of the earth!"  I'm still, to this day, worried that just ONE person getting smallpox will set off an epidemic among those who never received their smallpox shot.  

Carnival Corp is having a public virtual forum in regard to COVID-19.  I received this from one of my daily med journals, but looking at the presenters I personally feel that it will be helpful and beneficial for the lay public to hear.  I am sure NCL is probably doing something similar (with their panel), but have not received any notification of that.  I have heard a number of the presenters previously, and they are quite knowledgeable and in some cases entertaining.  

This is the link:    https://covidsciencesummit.com/

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, howiefrommd said:

Carnival Corp is having a public virtual forum in regard to COVID-19.  I received this from one of my daily med journals, but looking at the presenters I personally feel that it will be helpful and beneficial for the lay public to hear.  I am sure NCL is probably doing something similar (with their panel), but have not received any notification of that.  I have heard a number of the presenters previously, and they are quite knowledgeable and in some cases entertaining.  

This is the link:    https://covidsciencesummit.com/

Thanks for the link.  I signed up for both with hopes I can fit them in.  Have a medical appointment tomorrow and it's actually 'in person'!  But it's a specific follow up visit and hopefully will run on time.

I do have the feeling the Regent event is geared more toward TA's and potential passengers - a little more sales oriented in nature,  but a peek at the Health & Safety Panel.  The CCL summit seems more geared to science and medical aspects, including possible implementation steps.  Just difference focuses and audiences, I would think.

The Regent description is:

It goes without saying that these are unprecedented times. We also know that the promise of new adventures ignites travel inspiration – either to explore a new part of the world or one you may have previously visited.

Join us for an exclusive virtual experience on Regent Seven Seas Cruises® and be inspired by the opportunity for future adventures, highlighting Regent's inspiring destinations including new itineraries, the inclusive value they deliver, and why now is a great time to book a Regent cruise.

Regent executives will discuss their new Health & Safety Protocol and Healthy Sail Panel both onboard and shoreside. They will cover what to expect when Regent starts cruising again, what's new for 2021, special itineraries you don't want to miss, personal impressions of Regent's newest ship, Seven Seas Splendor™ and what sets Regent's fleet and experience apart.

The event's special guest will be Chef, Bernhard Klotz, who will give us a behind the scenes look at Regent Seven Seas Cruises' exceptional culinary experiences, and how the line is evolving in harmony with our current times.

A special, Exclusive Offer just for guests who attend this event will also be announced!

10 minutes ago, greykitty said:

Thanks for the link.  I signed up for both with hopes I can fit them in.  Have a medical appointment tomorrow and it's actually 'in person'!  But it's a specific follow up visit and hopefully will run on time.

I do have the feeling the Regent event is geared more toward TA's and potential passengers - a little more sales oriented in nature,  but a peek at the Health & Safety Panel.  The CCL summit seems more geared to science and medical aspects, including possible implementation steps.  Just difference focuses and audiences, I would think.

The Regent description is:

It goes without saying that these are unprecedented times. We also know that the promise of new adventures ignites travel inspiration – either to explore a new part of the world or one you may have previously visited.

Join us for an exclusive virtual experience on Regent Seven Seas Cruises® and be inspired by the opportunity for future adventures, highlighting Regent's inspiring destinations including new itineraries, the inclusive value they deliver, and why now is a great time to book a Regent cruise.

Regent executives will discuss their new Health & Safety Protocol and Healthy Sail Panel both onboard and shoreside. They will cover what to expect when Regent starts cruising again, what's new for 2021, special itineraries you don't want to miss, personal impressions of Regent's newest ship, Seven Seas Splendor™ and what sets Regent's fleet and experience apart.

The event's special guest will be Chef, Bernhard Klotz, who will give us a behind the scenes look at Regent Seven Seas Cruises' exceptional culinary experiences, and how the line is evolving in harmony with our current times.

A special, Exclusive Offer just for guests who attend this event will also be announced!

Yes something tells me that the Carnival conference will not have a guest Chef nor a "Special Offer."

When you read the NCL "Health & Safety Protocol" much of it seems to be words out of PR people rather than clinical people.  

13 minutes ago, drsel said:

Regent may offer a discount on their Cruise for those who attend. But considering how expensive it is......

How do you figure that???  This is the Regent forum for those that travel on Regent or considering travel on Regent.  Regent is very well priced (now I sound like Jackie).  Regent has always had a series of discounts some better than others; I am attending tomorrow and hope to take advantage of the offer (if it makes sense).

Marc

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, rallydave said:

Confusing comment.  First of all there are no US Ocean Cruise Companies.  The CDC No Sail Directive covers only ships traversing US waters no matter where the companies are registered or headquartered.  And the "big four" luxury cruise lines along with all other Ocean Cruise Lines currently have all rights to cruise outside US waters and sail wherever they choose outside US waters as CDC only has control over cruise ships traversing US waters so choosing to cruise outside US waters would have no effect on dealings with CDC.

Your comment was much more confusing than mine. I am not looking at where a cruise line is headquartered or registered.   I was/am only interested in ships that sail into or out of the U.S. 

Your statement is written as fact.  What is the source of your information?  Just verifying that you are stating (as a fact) that "...choosing to cruise outside US waters would have no effect on dealings with the CDC."

P.S.  I did not post (nor did I see any other posts) that indicate thatt there are " no US Ocean Cruise Companies".   I have never heard of a "US Ocean Cruise Company".  There are a handful of cruise lines (mostly smaller ones) that are registered in the U.S. (will be happy to provide a list if you cannot find them).

Edited by Travelcat2

Well, to be fair I guess, it did seem to be a PR release - now, when the end of August rolls around, I'll be interested if we will see any specifics that the Panel has arrived at for submission to the various cruise lines for review and possible use.  They did say it was going to be open source after all.

How do you figure that???  This is the Regent forum for those that travel on Regent or considering travel on Regent.  Regent is very well priced (now I sound like Jackie).  Regent has always had a series of discounts some better than others; I am attending tomorrow and hope to take advantage of the offer (if it makes sense).

Marc
Kindly post the link for the Regent virtual conference

7 minutes ago, Travelcat2 said:

Your statement is written as fact.  What is the source of your information?  Just verifying that you are stating (as a fact) that "...choosing to cruise outside US waters would have no effect on dealings with the CDC."

Well, the no sail order clearly only applies to sailing in US waters and the CDC clearly only has authority within the US and has no authority outside the US.

As an example remember all the times people talk about how the ships have to prepare for inspection when returning to US waters after awhile outside of US jurisdiction??  Outside of US waters ships are not subject to rules from US Government officials.

Agree some people in the CDC might be upset that the ships are sailing outside the US but,  the CDC has no authority for ships sailing outside US waters so could do nothing officially.  It is only possible to use where government agencies have authority, not having authority is everywhere else.

All this has me fantasizing about cruises for Canadians only.  I guess this would only work for Quebec/Atlantic Provinces, but still, nice dream.  This was one of the nicest recent cruises we took! Perhaps we could include Greenland or Iceland (once Canadians have their travel advisory lifted, that is.)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wendy The Wanderer said:

All this has me fantasizing about cruises for Canadians only.  I guess this would only work for Quebec/Atlantic Provinces, but still, nice dream.  This was one of the nicest recent cruises we took! Perhaps we could include Greenland or Iceland (once Canadians have their travel advisory lifted, that is.)

I agree.  That would be great.  While not my first choice for a itinerary, I would definitely do it if there were no other choices.   I am trying to get to the Atlantic Provinces by plane early in September.  However, as I am sure you are aware, they are currently in a bubble and will not us down from Ontario/Quebec.   Miss a good feed of Lobster and Fried Clams!!!!

20 hours ago, rallydave said:

Well, the no sail order clearly only applies to sailing in US waters and the CDC clearly only has authority within the US and has no authority outside the US.

This is what FdR stated in May: 

“But realize that the CDC has a long arm. It’s not certain how far their jurisdiction goes. It may affect American citizens traveling to far-flung places.”