CDC extends no-sail order for cruises until Oct. 1

Turn 8A

The Carnival sponsored presentation did not discuss cruising at all, except for some very brief comments by Arnold Donald after all 3 of the 1 hour presentations were over.  It was a general discussion of the current scientific knowledge, not specific to cruising let alone not specific to Carnival.  It is supposed to be available online for the next 24 hours at covidsciencesummit.com , but I have not been able to get that link to work.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bellaggio Cruisers said:

I registered only for RSSC. We don’t sail on Carnival.....

You are so right.  I wasted an hour on a webinar featuring Arnold Donald.  What will work for Carnival will likely not work for Regent (except that the protocols will likely be the same).  And, as has been said, it is unlikely that Carnival passengers would be interested in the Regent webinar.  A post was made about Regent possibly giving something away.  This isn't what Regent is about.  

It is possible that anyone interested in a Carnival webinar might find it on the Carnival website.

1 minute ago, Travelcat2 said:

You are so right.  I wasted an hour on a webinar featuring Arnold Donald.  What will work for Carnival will likely not work for Regent (except that the protocols will likely be the same).  And, as has been said, it is unlikely that Carnival passengers would be interested in the Regent webinar.  A post was made about Regent possibly giving something away.  This isn't what Regent is about.  

It is possible that anyone interested in a Carnival webinar might find it on the Carnival website.

The Carnival webinar was applicable to all their lines (including Seabourn).  As other posters have mentioned, all passenger cruise ships are going to have to live under the same rules, regardless of price point or ship size.   Agreed that some brands/ships will be easier to implement these new rules than others though.   

• Like 2

To be fair, if someone looked up the description of the WTTC/Carnival Covid-19 summit, as shown below, they may have come away with an entirely different idea of what was going to be presented.  I personally found the COVID-19 Summit applicable to anyone who is dealing with the implications of COVID-19.  I agree, the Regent seminar will be more of a sales push geared toward existing and potential Regent customers.  From the registration descriptions, sounds like totally different focus and intent.  

The summit is meant to bring together the best science and knowledge around Covid-19 and package it into a 3-hour program. It will feature a series of panels, each focusing on an area of science surrounding Covid-19 and will include best practices from different industries and global regions on how to control and limit the spread of the disease.

"What are the myths? What are the controversial things that are still unresolved? What are the known things?" (Arnold) Donald said of some of the topics that may be covered. "And given that backdrop, in what context can people begin live comfortably with Covid-19 with a reasonable level of confidence? And if not, what will it take for them to feel that way?"

• Like 1

The Carnival webinar was about COVID-19, not at all about Carnival or any of its lines.  I assume that the hour that TC wasted was on a different seminar.  This one made it very clear that we all need to take masks more seriously, which is a message that TC has been promoting also.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Masks/shields is the only way that we can control the virus.  Almost everyone in our city wears one - no big deal.

In terms of the program, learning the "best practices from different industries" is not going to help us with being on a cruise ship (unless the 'different industries" require employee to not leave the premises - eat and sleep there, etc.). 

There are many very well qualified scientists and doctors on television every day that address all of the issues.  Trying to be open minded but, to me, this is becoming a board for all cruise lines rather than Regent.

On top of everything else, this subject is completely off topic.

P.S.  Perhaps they will explain why 10 crew members that boarded AIDA tested negative for Covid before leaving home and before boarding the ship but came down with it within days of departure.  And, parent company, Carnival has no plans to delay future cruises (they are not sailing anywhere near the U.S.). 

Edited by Travelcat2

20 minutes ago, Travelcat2 said:

..........On top of everything else, this subject is completely off topic.

P.S.  Perhaps they will explain why 10 crew members that boarded AIDA tested negative for Covid before leaving home and before boarding the ship but came down with it within days of departure.  And, parent company, Carnival has no plans to delay future cruises (they are not sailing anywhere near the U.S.). 

Testing is not a good future screening tool unless you are testing to see if you need to treat a sick person for Covid-19. You can test negative for Covid one day and a day or two later test positive. This is not unusual. Carnival did nothing wrong as long as the crew was quarantined until they tested negative again.

This is going to be a problem for passengers when cruising starts again...you can test negative before or when you board, but get sick several days later on the ship and expose the people around you. From Exposure to being sick can be as long as 14 days and that is a big problem.

• Like 4

40 minutes ago, Travelcat2 said:

Masks/shields is the only way that we can control the virus.  Almost everyone in our city wears one - no big deal.

In terms of the program, learning the "best practices from different industries" is not going to help us with being on a cruise ship (unless the 'different industries" require employee to not leave the premises - eat and sleep there, etc.). 

There are many very well qualified scientists and doctors on television every day that address all of the issues.  Trying to be open minded but, to me, this is becoming a board for all cruise lines rather than Regent.

On top of everything else, this subject is completely off topic.

The testing for COVID-19 and COVID-19 Antibodies is a new science.  Most of these tests (especially the PCR test)  have questionable accuracy.  We find it very similar to the PCR test for Rapid Strep.  I personally, for my patients or myself would not want to rely on these test to make a clinical judgment.  

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Bellaggio Cruisers said:

I registered only for RSSC. We don’t sail on Carnival.....

I believe the purpose of the webinar was to update (using national experts in their respective fields) on COVID-19.  Many people on this board base their opinions on something they see on one of the talking head channels (CNN/FOX News), or their respective publications.  Neither are certainly unbiased, scientific reporting.  Unfortunately, people usually watch whatever channel is their particular belief.  I am, and let me say, I am not making a political statement.  When I was in school and training, we were taught to let the science be our guide.  

I think we are all waiting to see Regent's educational efforts and what is being planned/instituted to meet the CDC's (and their insurers) requirements.  I have a funny feeling we should not wait around our computers till we see it.  

• Like 6

The topic of this thread is the CDC extending the no sail order. This applies not just to Regent and their parent company NCLCL but also to Carnival which like NCL has both mainstream and luxury lines. Seaboun is just as up scale as Regent and has even less passengers than Regent.

I for one like to hear what is going on across the cruising industry. The CDC will write the rules and the companies will have to follow them if they want to sail in US waters. 

So anything that has to with the no sail order in general is not off topic. That includes that other lines are doing and what is going on in other countries that are beginning to sail again. You better believe someone at the CDC is looking at them.

Edited by cwn
  • Like 6

2 hours ago, cwn said:

The topic of this thread is the CDC extending the no sail order. This applies not just to Regent and their parent company NCLCL but also to Carnival which like NCL has both mainstream and luxury lines. Seaboun is just as up scale as Regent and has even less passengers than Regent.

I for one like to hear what is going on across the cruising industry. The CDC will write the rules and the companies will have to follow them if they want to sail in US waters. 

So anything that has to with the no sail order in general is not off topic. That includes that other lines are doing and what is going on in other countries that are beginning to sail again. You better believe someone at the CDC is looking at them.

Some folks just don’t get that. They think that Regent is so different and so special that they can do whatever they want because they know better than anyone in the industry. They may call it being optimistic but to me it is being non realistic. I guess fantasy worlds do exist.

• Like 6

I am interested in what all the posters are discussing on this board as it relates to cruising...all lines and all ocean cruising.  I would rather it be allowed to flow naturally and not have people told what they can and cannot discuss as that becomes disruptive. This board seems to have a lot of well read and well informed people who are commenting and I want to hear their opinions please.

• Like 11

13 minutes ago, fizzy said:

I am interested in what all the posters are discussing on this board as it relates to cruising...all lines and all ocean cruising.  I would rather it be allowed to flow naturally and not have people told what they can and cannot discuss as that becomes disruptive. This board seems to have a lot of well read and well informed people who are commenting and I want to hear their opinions please.

Exactly...….Your comments are what many of us are feeling and saying.

• Like 5

59 minutes ago, fizzy said:

Fizzy, well said - deserves more than a "Like." I don't want to go to the Carnival board to read insightful generic comments about cruising.

I'm sorry that bright people who post here on interesting topics are demeaned because of their lack of Regent experience or loyalty. Fortunately, those who try to control the board, are not in charge.

• Like 13

1 hour ago, fizzy said:

As a somewhat outsider looking in (meaning I have not invested endless hours on the Regent boards) it seems that certain posters have almost a cult like approach to Regent.  It is almost as if someone is not praising Regent, they have no business commenting.  Whether this is intentional or not, obviously I do not know.

Personally, the sharing of scientific facts (especially when we are in the biggest Pandemic we have had in most of our life times) should not be discounted nor thrown away because someone is not oleaginous about a particular cruise line.  What I am interested in seeing from any cruise line that I would be taking would be for them  to provide updated information on what they are initially planning to ensure the safety of their passengers and staff.  What has been produced ("Healthy Sailing")  to date, parallels more to marketing materials, utilizing very broad terms that everyone is using (increased training, increased medical,  increased cleaning) but failure to quantify.  It appears almost like these materials were developed by PR people, not people versed and experienced in this type of mitigation.  CDC to date have been pretty clear what they are looking for.  Obviously, after submission of the plans from the cruise lines and CDCs development from the Public Comments they will come out with a final rule.  We know this will take time.  One would think that updating their customers,  would be a better PR tool then what they have done to date.  

• Like 15
  • Thanks 2

I am one of the people who came here from an "other board" because I was interested in booking a cruise on Regent.  In fact, I have booked two of them, though neither has happened yet.  I still have hope for the one next May, but not much hope for my October 2020 booking.  I came here to learn about Regent, not to "judge" it.  New people are allowed to ask questions, but not (by some) to express opinions.  I have been bullied for having opinions, even though none of them have been about what it is like to sail on Regent.  

I have been bullied for starting the Regent Refund Roll Call, even though I only did it because there seemed to be great demand for it and none of the Regent "regulars" were both willing and able to do so.   IMO, Regent is doing a very good job with refunds overall, especially compared to my "other" cruise line.  I have expressed this praise for Regent numerous times on both boards.

I may also have expressed concern hoping that Regent survives this, which I think is a totally rational concern about any cruise line.  I have bookings on Regent, and I have to decide whether to take the refund or FCC if one is cancelled, so I think that is more than enough reason to consider that possibility.  I am going to take the FCC, though  -- does that sound like someone who is "predicting the demise of Regent"?  I am more concerned about the financial viability of my "other" cruise line than Regent, based on the experience there with refunds.  I dare not mention the name of the "other" cruise line, LOL.  A certain Regent regular can do so with impunity, but if I respond about it I am chastised. 

I certainly hope that the bullying is not also part of life on board, and I truly do not think that it will be.  (Oops, maybe that was an opinion....)  I have also "met" many very nice people on this board who are not bullies, and I look forward to meeting some of you on board a Regent ship someday. 

• Like 14

11 hours ago, SusieQft said:

A certain Regent regular can do so with impunity, but if I respond about it I am chastised. 

Blocking someone's posts is an easy and effective form of stress reduction.

I did not do any of these webinars, but am certainly interested in the entire industry. I've sailed Seabourn so have an interest in Carnival, and on Azamara so also interested in RCC.

Edited by Wendy The Wanderer
  • Like 3

13 hours ago, howiefrommd said:

As a somewhat outsider looking in (meaning I have not invested endless hours on the Regent boards) it seems that certain posters have almost a cult like approach to Regent.  It is almost as if someone is not praising Regent, they have no business commenting.  Whether this is intentional or not, obviously I do not know.

Personally, the sharing of scientific facts (especially when we are in the biggest Pandemic we have had in most of our life times) should not be discounted nor thrown away because someone is not oleaginous about a particular cruise line.  What I am interested in seeing from any cruise line that I would be taking would be for them  to provide updated information on what they are initially planning to ensure the safety of their passengers and staff.  What has been produced ("Healthy Sailing")  to date, parallels more to marketing materials, utilizing very broad terms that everyone is using (increased training, increased medical,  increased cleaning) but failure to quantify.  It appears almost like these materials were developed by PR people, not people versed and experienced in this type of mitigation.  CDC to date have been pretty clear what they are looking for.  Obviously, after submission of the plans from the cruise lines and CDCs development from the Public Comments they will come out with a final rule.  We know this will take time.  One would think that updating their customers,  would be a better PR tool then what they have done to date.  

I do not think that Regent needs praise constantly.  Their reputation stands on its own!   Agree that we need as much scientific and medical information as possible and it would be nice if Cruise Critic put announcements out (on all boards) when a significant webinar is going to happen that affects all of us.  

Alternatively, a temporary “sticky” (for use during the pandemic)  could be added to the Regent board so posters can keep up to date with what other cruise lines are doing (especially cruise lines that are sail into or out of the U.S. as some cruise lines that are sailing now have different protocols than we are likely to see in the approved CDC protocols.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Travelcat2 said:

I do not think that Regent needs praise constantly.  Their reputation stands on its own!   Agree that we need as much scientific and medical information as possible and it would be nice if Cruise Critic put announcements out (on all boards) when a significant webinar is going to happen that affects all of us.  

Alternatively, a temporary “sticky” (for use during the pandemic)  could be added to the Regent board so posters can keep up to date with what other cruise lines are doing (especially cruise lines that are sail into or out of the U.S. as some cruise lines that are sailing now have different protocols than we are likely to see in the approved CDC protocols.

I’m just shaking my head in disbelief. I know that Ive been blocked so that some don’t see my comments. I hope that isn’t the fate for many of you because maybe the overwhelming sentiment that many share will enlighten some to see the world as it really is vs what they want it to be. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, pappy1022 said:

I’m just shaking my head in disbelief. I know that Ive been blocked so that some don’t see my comments. I hope that isn’t the fate for many of you because maybe the overwhelming sentiment that many share will enlighten some to see the world as it really is vs what they want it to be. 

Please, can you explain what TC said in the above post that you can “shake your head in disbelief?“  Perhaps, we all have different visions of the world today. 
If someone disagrees with your vision, does that make the person less credible?

Herb and I having been cruising on Regent for years. We enjoy two to three cruises each year. We are spoiled. We are first world folks, after a lifetime of work to get there. 
Today, We feel  “cruise deprived”. We are housebound, five months now, , with plenty of time on our hands. We are bored. We grow older each day.  I would suggest many of you fit into our category. 
We have been on Cruise Critic for years. Always loved reading about other people’s cruising experiences on Regent. We learned so much and applied this knowledge to future cruises.  
Unfortunately, these are no longer the fun discussions we once had. 
All we read about is...Refunds and uneducated guesses about when we will sail again. And aggressiveness toward others 
We have COVID cases all around us... in our community, in our family.

There are those of us who want to remain optimistic about our futures. We are also realists about the world around us. We are getting older each day and have limited time in which to “live life”.  
I am sad because Cruise Critic is no longer a fun site about cruising. 
sheila

Edited by Bellaggio Cruisers

17 minutes ago, Bellaggio Cruisers said:

Please, can you explain what TC said in the above post that you can “shake your head in disbelief?“  Perhaps, we all have different visions of the world today. 
If someone disagrees with your vision, does that make the person less credible?
sheila

You can't see the post because someone brought the discussion over from another thread (spreading the chaos?). It is on the Carnival thread. My post was to you and said:

18 hours ago,  Bellaggio Cruisers said: 

Karen and greykitty.... can either of you provide a point by point description of the information you saw today, regarding steps necessary to receive CDC approval and resume cruising.  
Thanks

sheila

Sheila - as expected, there was no information regarding steps necessary to receive CDC approval so that we can resume cruising (did not watch/listen to the Carnival thing).  Think that I’ll leave this thread to the newbies as they seem to know more than you and I do about Regent.

•  
  • Like 1