Health & Age Restrictions

I have seen a couple of stories where Carnival will not allow persons over 70 with an underlying health condition, such as diabetes, high blood pressure, etc., to board the ship.  Should I take these stories seriously.  I'm 73 and have A-Fib, high blood pressure, and diabetes.

3 minutes ago, fyree39 said:

It's all us old people ruining it for the young brave ones. lol I remember when the Swine flu, SARS, and others came through. I was much younger and completely unconcerned.  I didn't fall in a risk group. If I were in my 30s again, I'd probably be secretly hoping for a "no old folks or young kids" cruise so those of us not at risk could at least go have some fun. I'm in a risk group, so I'm stuck ashore. 😞

Well, it seems more and more young people are coming down with the virus. So they are joining us "old" people who are not on the ships.

• Like 6

Carnival will be going down a slippery slope if they place undue restrictions on older people because they are (health-wise) at high risk.  I have friends in their 30's and 40's who are diabetic, have high blood pressure, etc.  Is Carnival going to weed this group out also?  What about children who sail who have underlying health issues... don't let them sail?  If they are going to initiate a "no sail" health list, it better encompass all people who cruise.  Age and health issues touches people of all ages, not just the elderly..  Singling out older people and subjecting them to additional forms, testing, etc., will bring down a lot of lawsuits onto an already struggling cruise industry. 

There are rumors that the cruise lines are investigating the feasibility of partitioning off areas on their ships exclusively for older cruisers, i.e., in the Lido buffet area, indoor venues such as the show theaters, bars, etc.  If you are an older cruiser that has been put on "The List" are you still going to sail?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ontheweb said:

Well, it seems more and more young people are coming down with the virus. So they are joining us "old" people who are not on the ships.

Except their death rate is substantially lower. COVID has a hockey stick fatality rate. Takes a severe detour north at around 70 years old.

26 minutes ago, ezd222 said:

Except their death rate is substantially lower. COVID has a hockey stick fatality rate. Takes a severe detour north at around 70 years old.

Let's see what happens when more and more young people catch the virus. Also there are long term effects to consider.

5 hours ago, tattoos said:

Carnival will be going down a slippery slope if they place undue restrictions on older people because they are (health-wise) at high risk.  I have friends in their 30's and 40's who are diabetic, have high blood pressure, etc.  Is Carnival going to weed this group out also?  What about children who sail who have underlying health issues... don't let them sail?  If they are going to initiate a "no sail" health list, it better encompass all people who cruise.  Age and health issues touches people of all ages, not just the elderly..  Singling out older people and subjecting them to additional forms, testing, etc., will bring down a lot of lawsuits onto an already struggling cruise industry. 

There are rumors that the cruise lines are investigating the feasibility of partitioning off areas on their ships exclusively for older cruisers, i.e., in the Lido buffet area, indoor venues such as the show theaters, bars, etc.  If you are an older cruiser that has been put on "The List" are you still going to sail?

I don’t let age restrict anything I want to do on land so I don’t think I would patronize a cruise line that wanted to make restrictions based on age. Too arbitrary.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, 2wheelin said:

I don’t let age restrict anything I want to do on land so I don’t think I would patronize a cruise line that wanted to make restrictions based on age. Too arbitrary.

And that is your right as a consumer.

It is also their right as a business to place whatever restrictions they feel is in the best interest and safety of their crew and passengers.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Retired & Loving It said:

I have seen a couple of stories where Carnival will not allow persons over 70 with an underlying health condition, such as diabetes, high blood pressure, etc., to board the ship.  Should I take these stories seriously.  I'm 73 and have A-Fib, high blood pressure, and diabetes.

A lawsuit or signing away right to sue likely will fix all of this,  Sadly we got bigger issues before we cross that for cruising

8 hours ago, klfrodo said:

And that is your right as a consumer.

It is also their right as a business to place whatever restrictions they feel is in the best interest and safety of their crew and passengers.

Is it, or do they have to follow various civil rights laws that prohibit discrimination including discriminating for age?

• Like 2

Yeah, I am 71 and have some health issues.  Easy fix: Have the cruise lawyers insert another item into the cruise contract that states that passengers understand the risks of possible exposure to COVID-19, the clap, STD’s, measles, mumps etc.  Screen passengers before boarding, institute common safety guidelines and let’s get on with it.  Stay safe, don’t play in traffic and let’s get back to cruising!

• Like 5

It seems like it would be more practical to require waivers and maybe testing.  Maybe someday vaccinations if the virus is still an issue.  I really don't see them discriminating due to age or health status in the future.  That's a slippery slope and will cost them a huge amount of revenue.

• Like 3

On 7/17/2020 at 2:50 PM, Retired & Loving It said:

They told people over 70 they had to have a fit to sail sign off from their doctor but then backed off of that.

11 hours ago, ontheweb said:

Is it, or do they have to follow various civil rights laws that prohibit discrimination including discriminating for age?

Not necessarily.  Cruise lines with non US home ports probably have different laws than US about age discrimination 

13 hours ago, Bostwick girl said:

The average age where I live for positives is 35. Early on in March, the average age was around 65, so just shows who practices social distancing and wearing masks!

We are seeing the same in parts of my state, same locations that held massive protests with that age group participating...coincidence? 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Elaine5715 said:

We are seeing the same in parts of my state, same locations that held massive protests with that age group participating...coincidence? 

As Leroy Jethro Gibbs says: " I don't believe in coincidences. "  The same goes for me. 

• Like 3

In today's super-litigious society, companies have to protect themselves. As we know, it's the older crowd that suffer most with COVID (and most other things for that matter). How does the cruise line protect themselves? I don't see a path forward without some kind of waiver, special requirement, restriction, etc for at least the older crowd.

• Like 1