Refunding Non-Refundable Deposit

I'm sure this has happened to someone before, just not due to the Coronavirus.  Here is the question I need answered.

I have booked a November 20, 2020 cruise for nine nights on the Explorer of the Seas.  Final payment is due in a month or so, but I booked this cruise with a $500.00 non-refundable deposit.

I know that if I cancel, I am out the $500.00.  I understand that.

But with Princess today just canceling pretty much all their cruises through at least December 15th, maybe RCCl will cancel this one in the next month or so.

If RCCL cancels, do I get my non-refundable deposit back?  Or do I just get a future cruise credit for the $500.00?  Or am I out the $500.00.  What has happened to someone who in the past has had their cruise canceled for some reason, maybe a charter, for example.

Generally, you would lose $100 p/p and receive $300 as a future cruise credit. But at the present time, since you booked before Aug. 1/Sept. 30 2020, you will receive the entire $500 as a future cruise credit under Cruise with Confidence if you choose to cancel. 

If Royal Caribbean eventually cancels the cruise you will receive $500 as a refund or (possibly) 125% of your deposit as a future cruise credit. If you haven't made final payment yet. 

But Royal Caribbean has not made any announcements related to what Princess has done. 

Edited by Coralc

18 minutes ago, lifeisrealygood said:

I'm sure this has happened to someone before, just not due to the Coronavirus.  Here is the question I need answered.

I have booked a November 20, 2020 cruise for nine nights on the Explorer of the Seas.  Final payment is due in a month or so, but I booked this cruise with a $500.00 non-refundable deposit.

I know that if I cancel, I am out the $500.00.  I understand that.

But with Princess today just canceling pretty much all their cruises through at least December 15th, maybe RCCl will cancel this one in the next month or so.

If RCCL cancels, do I get my non-refundable deposit back?  Or do I just get a future cruise credit for the $500.00?  Or am I out the $500.00.  What has happened to someone who in the past has had their cruise canceled for some reason, maybe a charter, for example.

If RCCL cancels the cruise, you can get your $500 non-refundable deposit back (or you could get 125% on-board credit for either your deposit or the amount of cruise fare you paid).  

35 minutes ago, lifeisrealygood said:

RCI has generally not cancelled outside of final payment.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

25 minutes ago, PhoenixCruiser said:

Agree with@Biker

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

20 minutes ago, Coralc said:

We can always hope. :classic_tongue:

So far.  😉  

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Biker19 said:

At some point you would think they would change this policy.  Does it really make any sense for RCI to go through the expense  of collecting your money and then the expense of refunding your money? 

10 minutes ago, ipeeinthepool said:

Does it really make any sense for RCI to go through the expense  of collecting your money and then the expense of refunding your money? 

Of course, when the default (which many may not change) is an FCC, not a refund. Plus, why cancel more than 3 months out when you may have a chance, however slight, of actually sailing.

Edited by Biker19
  • Like 1

We have 4 days to cancel our next cruise before final payment.  Given all the hysteria worldwide right now it seems inconceivable that Oct/Nov cruises will actually happen.  At least after we cancel, we will have FCC to apply if those cruises actually operate.  Maybe  Royal would have a last minute sale to get enough passengers on the ships to make it work and we can re-book then.  The catch may well be getting airfare and clearance to enter Spain or Italy as a US citizen(without a quarantine)!

3 hours ago, Biker19 said:

Of course, when the default (which many may not change) is an FCC, not a refund. Plus, why cancel more than 3 months out when you may have a chance, however slight, of actually sailing.

I still can't believe that people select the FCC rather than a refund.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Dennis#1 said:

If RCCL cancels the cruise, you can get your $500 non-refundable deposit back (or you could get 125% on-board credit for either your deposit or the amount of cruise fare you paid).  

Not on board credit, Future Cruise Credit.

Different things.

28 minutes ago, ipeeinthepool said:

I still can't believe that people select the FCC rather than a refund.

I knooow, like people still have hopes to use it any time soon but the reality check proves that its better to be with cash right now. I wonder if they get any other benefits when cruisng starts cause by taking FCC they basicly tell the cruise company - hey guys, take my money - I hope will be doing alright soon. It must awarded in away in my opinion 

Totally agree I’m not for the government controlling the mandatory vaccine.  I will not take it until it is been proven to be effective and don’t believe the cruise lines will make the vaccine a must before allowing you to cruise.  Temperature & a Covid test not more than 10 days is adequate for boarding

1 hour ago, molly361 said:

It might have changed now but when I asked my TA he told me that most people were taking the FCC

Those people are going to be really surprised when they try to use their FCC and then they find out it can't be combined with current promotions.  Celebrity did this a few weeks ago with a Captain's Club promotion and it would not surprise me if Royal follows.

Edited by ipeeinthepool

On 7/23/2020 at 10:39 AM, Roger88 said:

I knooow, like people still have hopes to use it any time soon but the reality check proves that its better to be with cash right now. I wonder if they get any other benefits when cruisng starts cause by taking FCC they basicly tell the cruise company - hey guys, take my money - I hope will be doing alright soon. It must awarded in away in my opinion 

So you know everyone's financial situation??????

How is it "proven"?

Many people can afford to gamble the money for a 25% return.

Mr. Pcur and I were just discussing this yesterday.  Since banks are paying less than 1% on savings, we don't have a problem leaving our deposit money with the cruise line, and getting a possible bump for 25% more.  

Both RCCL and Princess have very flexible Cruise With Confidence policies right now, if you are in the booking date parameters.

We're just going to sit on our cruise bookings and wait to see what the cruise lines do, with a potential 25% boost in value if they cancel and we take the FCC.

• Like 1

And....regarding COVID testing.  I'm hoping by the time we start cruising they have the self-administered saliva or blood test available.  Kind of like taking your blood sugar, I'm thinking.  If those are available, they will be part of our travel "accessories".  🙂

OK - I have a paid $200 NON-refundable deposit for a cruise.  Final payment time comes along, and I make the full final payment using previously issued FCC.  Then a month later, Royal cancels the cruise.  Two questions:

1.  I know that I am entitled to receive the $200. as a cash refund.  I want the refund.  I believe that Royal would prefer to give me the $200 back as a 125% FFC.  How, when, and to whom (Royal or my TA) do I communicate my desire for the cash refund?

2.  For the balance paid with previously issued FCC,  will I receive 100% of that amount back as new FCC, or 125% ?