More ships to leave Carnival Fleet.

mercury7289

On 9/16/2020 at 9:06 PM, Britboys said:

But it's a comparison between apples and pears John. Sailing on smaller ships will always be much more expensive than the new big ones. Fred Olsen ships carry 900 (Braemar) and under 1300 (the other 3), with consequently far fewer balconies. P&O's take more than 1800, 2000, 3100, 3600 & 5200. Arcadia has almost as many balcony cabins as the total number of cabins on each of Fred Olsen's largest ships - and that is the two that have only just joined the fleet.

For those that enjoy the big-ship experience, it is a no-brainer to choose a large ship with P&O. For those of us that prefer the small-ship experience, we have to accept that either we pay more for that or compromise and sail on a big ship. We all have to balance and choose what is best for us.

Yes, that is generally true Avril. The launch prices are "Freedom Fares" and often include gratuities and some obc. Later they offer "Anchor Fares", which are similar to P&Os Saver Fares but one little difference is that for a small nightly supplement you can guarantee your dining arrangements - as in early or late sitting. Like all cruise lines, they have various marketing ploys with different offers.

Fred also offer reduced Freedom fares nearer to sail date and also offer reduced upgrade prices at times.  We rarely do anchor fares as would not want a badly placed cabin on any ship.

They also sail from local ports which is a whole lot better than going to Southampton for many people.  Even the new ships have way more than half the cabins that are not balconies, so considerably cheaper and most people would not pay expensive launch prices, though cruises seem to be expensive with all lines at present.  If we had taken a FCC from Fred  for our cruises on cancelled in the spring we would have got another 25% like with many holiday companies, so the cruises are partly priced to take account of that.

Like many people, we cruise for an itinerary and there are very few P&O cruises that would have any interest for us now that they go to the same ports again and again, so we are happy to pay more for Azamara or Fred if it is a cruise we want.  The new Fred ships are going to have some limitations mind, given the itinerary changes that have taken place when cruises were transferred to the new ships.

Edited by tring
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Shared transfer is for two couples,  so not exactly a minibus. 

Pricing is always relative. I don't think paying less than £200pppn for a balcony cabin on Saga is expensive for a 16 night cruise,  especially as we will not have a £800 bar bill at the end of it! 

We paid less than £1,200pp for a 7 night cruise on Azamara and we were in really interesting ports every day.  Two low cost flights from a local airport and hotels for a couple of nights each in Barcelona and Rome gave another well priced holiday extension and very good travel to and from home.  Drinks are included with Azamara as well as other things.  The free room service breakfast was brilliant and it is brought into your cabin, then set out on the good sized balcony table on a white table cloth.  Balcony chairs were good quality and comfortable as well, which is not always the case

Four people plus luggage would not fit into even a big car, so would have to be a mini bus as far as I can see.  Some people are happy with them, but we find them uncomfortable and we hate getting up in what we consider to be the middle of the night for an early pick up and long journey.  We consider the night before a cruise part of the holiday and we are then well rested when we get on board.

As you have said it depends what each person wants and will be different for all.  The itineraries are very important to us and we never spend long in a cabin of any type so a non balcony cabin is fine for many of our cruises, especially if in port a lot, which we prefer.  We also really enjoy late nights in port, rather than spending every night on a ship, but that is us.

Edited by tring

Saga are also including some shore excursions from 2021, as yet no details have been published.

Transport is in VW Caravelles, Mercedes Viano or similar.

£1200 for 7 nights in a balcony is not the norm, was this a late booking?

Of course Azamara don't include flights in their pricing.

We've had some good cruises with Azamara but noticed that their prices were rising to a point where we didn't feel that they offered 'value' to us.

I've priced up some Azamara cruises, and their "normal" pricing for balcony cabins (we don't do insides) is way more expensive than Saga. 

If I saw a 7 day cruise on Azamara for a balcony, I'd book it like a shot, but those sort of offers seem to be few and far between.

1 hour ago, wowzz said:

We have 3 overnights on our next cruise with Saga - I agree that it is good to have the extra time in port, especially when any other ships have departed.

That would be a major negative for us wowzz, as a wheelchair user 2 to 3 hours ashore is more than enough for us, and it is far more comfortable spending our evenings on the ship, rather than searching out accessible restaurants and bars. Much more interesting for us would be having an extra 2 or 3 ports to visit.

20 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

That would be a major negative for us wowzz, as a wheelchair user 2 to 3 hours ashore is more than enough for us, and it is far more comfortable spending our evenings on the ship, rather than searching out accessible restaurants and bars. Much more interesting for us would be having an extra 2 or 3 ports to visit.

Totally understand. It shows what a difficulty cruise lines have in trying to accommodate the differing requirements of different passengers.     

• Like 2

10 hours ago, tring said:

We paid less than £1,200pp for a 7 night cruise on Azamara and we were in really interesting ports every day.  Two low cost flights from a local airport and hotels for a couple of nights each in Barcelona and Rome gave another well priced holiday extension and very good travel to and from home.  Drinks are included with Azamara as well as other things.  The free room service breakfast was brilliant and it is brought into your cabin, then set out on the good sized balcony table on a white table cloth.  Balcony chairs were good quality and comfortable as well, which is not always the case...

1 hour ago, wowzz said:

I've priced up some Azamara cruises, and their "normal" pricing for balcony cabins (we don't do insides) is way more expensive than Saga. 

If I saw a 7 day cruise on Azamara for a balcony, I'd book it like a shot, but those sort of offers seem to be few and far between.

The Azamara ships look lovely and for me are a really good size. Price apart, the only negative for me is their itineraries largely are very port intensive with few sea days. That's a bonus for some but I love days at sea...

• Like 3

1 hour ago, terrierjohn said:

Not all Saga cruises have overnights, in fact I would say that is the exception, but it depends on the itinerary.

17 minutes ago, Glenndale said:

Not all Saga cruises have overnights, in fact I would say that is the exception, but it depends on the itinerary.

You are correct. Ours is a 16 night Baltic cruise with overnights in St P, Stockholm and Oslo. 

2 hours ago, Glenndale said:

I considered a Saga cruise to Norway but the overnight in Geiranger put me off as the place is tiny and there would not be much to do. I may reconsider later once some clarity is restored.

8 hours ago, davecttr said:

I considered a Saga cruise to Norway but the overnight in Geiranger put me off as the place is tiny and there would not be much to do. I may reconsider later once some clarity is restored.

Is an over night stay really a deal breaker? What's the difference between a night at sea or a night in port?

Edited by wowzz

14 hours ago, Glenndale said:

£1200 for 7 nights in a balcony is not the norm, was this a late booking?

Of course Azamara don't include flights in their pricing.

We've had some good cruises with Azamara but noticed that their prices were rising to a point where we didn't feel that they offered 'value' to us.

Our initial booking was for an outside and it was made just less than 5 months before the cruise, but our agent had a good price on it, which was £937pp.  Even when prices are reduced they still give you a known cabin, so although it was a very well placed midship cabin, it was in fact the only one available - but we would have not booked it if it was in a bad location.  That was advertised with that agent we usually use and cost £937pp, which was less than on the Azamara website.  That gave us chance to book flights etc. at a time when they were still reasonably priced and we would have been very happy with that cabin, but they run an upgrade bid system which comes in much nearer to the sail date and we bid for that.  That can be a problem as if you "win" an upgrade, you have to take the new cabin, wherever it is, so is something we would not have risked if we were on a cruise which had a lot of time at sea, but our cruise was just pootering along with long days in port and even an overnight on the itinerary.   So we applied for the upgrade to a balcony, which had a min bid price of £160pp, though we bid £170pp.  We were sucessful, so we actually paid £1,107pp for the seven night cruise.

The price of balcony cabins near to sailing date, when available, was advertised at between £1,500 and £1,600 (I can not remember the exact price, but I know it was £1,5??), but as I said previously, that would have been with the knowledge of the cabin number.  In fact we were allotted a cabin forward of the front lifts, but not at the very front and it was on deck seven so cabins above and below and it was fine.  We got the same things that everyone else had for the booking, including the Azamazing evening which was an visit to an historic Opera house in Livorno (more light music than opera proper).  It was an October cruise, so as we all know prices tend to go a bit lower, but the other cruises were not as cheap as ours, but I do not know why as it was an excellent itinerary.

We would not pay very high prices for a cruise, but would be happy with an outside, or even an inside, if it was well placed and the cruise was right for us, but we would not have the choice of a cheaper cabin for the luxury lines or even Saga as the only have balconies.  Must admit I can only see Saga cruises at about £250pppn, but admit there do not seem to be any offers on cruises at present.  Saga insurance, daytime trips or transfers have no interest to us as we would not want them, but quite see they may well fit the bill for others. 

Edited by tring

2 hours ago, molecrochip said:

I suggested these two, Oceana’s sister would be off a couple of the months ago. No one on the Princess board would believe me!

I guess there must be something about these Sun class which made them less ideal. Expensive to run? Not fuel efficient? Pax/Profit ratio? Expensive parts? Who knows!

Sad to see them go, but yes it did seem inevitable that the older Sun ships would go soon once Carnival had sold Oceana as the youngest.

I get most of my cruise news by just following your posts on your profile molecrochip 😁

26 minutes ago, tring said:

Our initial booking was for an outside and it was made just less than 5 months before the cruise, but our agent had a good price on it, which was £937pp.  Even when prices are reduced they still give you a known cabin, so although it was a very well placed midship cabin, it was in fact the only one available - but we would have not booked it if it was in a bad location.  That was advertised with that agent we usually use and cost £937pp, which was less than on the Azamara website.  That gave us chance to book flights etc. at a time when they were still reasonably priced and we would have been very happy with that cabin, but they run an upgrade bid system which comes in much nearer to the sail date and we bid for that.  That can be a problem as if you "win" an upgrade, you have to take the new cabin, wherever it is, so is something we would not have risked if we were on a cruise which had a lot of time at sea, but our cruise was just pootering along with long days in port and even an overnight on the itinerary.   So we applied for the upgrade to a balcony, which had a min bid price of £160pp, though we bid £170pp.  We were sucessful, so we actually paid £1,107pp for the seven night cruise.

The price of balcony cabins near to sailing date, when available, was advertised at between £1,500 and £1,600 (I can not remember the exact price, but I know it was £1,5??), but as I said previously, that would have been with the knowledge of the cabin number.  In fact we were allotted a cabin forward of the front lifts, but not at the very front and it was on deck seven so cabins above and below and it was fine.  We got the same things that everyone else had for the booking, including the Azamazing evening which was an visit to an historic Opera house in Livorno (more light music than opera proper).  It was an October cruise, so as we all know prices tend to go a bit lower, but the other cruises were not as cheap as ours, but I do not know why as it was an excellent itinerary.

We would not pay very high prices for a cruise, but would be happy with an outside, or even an inside, if it was well placed and the cruise was right for us, but we would not have the choice of a cheaper cabin for the luxury lines or even Saga as the only have balconies.  Must admit I can only see Saga cruises at about £250pppn, but admit there do not seem to be any offers on cruises at present.  Saga insurance, daytime trips or transfers have no interest to us as we would not want them, but quite see they may well fit the bill for others. 

You obviously got a great deal, but in fairness,  I don't think that many of us will see a similar price.

I've just booked a Saga 16 night cruise to the Baltics for September 2022. (You have to be optimistic!). Second cheapest cabin category,  but booking early gives us a reasonable choice of cabin ocation.  Cost us almost exactly £200 pppn.  

I would agree that 2021 cruises are nearer your £250 figure. Shows it pays to either book early (as Fred Pontin would say) or wait until the last minute. Having said that,  the stories of last minute  bargains are becoming fewer and fewer.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, wowzz said:

You obviously got a great deal, but in fairness,  I don't think that many of us will see a similar price.

I've just booked a Saga 16 night cruise to the Baltics for September 2022. (You have to be optimistic!). Second cheapest cabin category,  but booking early gives us a reasonable choice of cabin ocation.  Cost us almost exactly £200 pppn.  

I would agree that 2021 cruises are nearer your £250 figure. Shows it pays to either book early (as Fred Pontin would say) or wait until the last minute. Having said that,  the stories of last minute  bargains are becoming fewer and fewer.

Not so sure I think of five months before as last minute, though they did have some very good prices on Alaska cruises last year near to the sale date. It was obviously a mistake for them to have gone there.  Not many people would have been able to get a decent price flight so near the sail date and anyone living nearby would have been before, if indeed they had an interest in doing so.

The upgrade bids can be done by anyone and was by far our main gain (as outside cabins not that much more than we paid for similar cruises), but a risk that may not be worth taking and we may well have regretted it.  We always ask to be removed from P&O automatic upgrades and would rarely book a guarantee cabin with any line as prefer to choose cabin. 

We are wondering what will happen next year regards prices, I would expect some cheaper prices than at present, though not the P&O style.  People would not have the extra credit applied to those who did not want refunds by that stage, which I feel is partly why prices are being hiked at present, plus they will ask what the can and need to make up losses some how.  Think we will do more land hols, but were going that way before this year, which is why the cruise and stay was good for us.

Edited by tring

20 hours ago, wowzz said:

You are correct. Ours is a 16 night Baltic cruise with overnights in St P, Stockholm and Oslo. 

Sounds really good and I'm sure you will enjoy the experience. 

Our P&O Baltic cruise this year had an overnight in Oslo which was the main reason for booking.  We've only spent one day in Oslo and loved it, so were looking forward to spending more time there.  (Have you been before?  If not I'd highly recommend the Frogner Park where the sculptor Vigeland created the most amazing exhibition.  How anyone could represent such a range of emotions from slabs of granite is amazing.)  The rest of the itinerary was unusual too - we've done the Baltic several times so it was appealing to have less common destinations included. We've swapped that cruise for another Baltic one next year - no Oslo ☹ but three ports which are new to us, so hopefully it will offer something of interest.  At the moment, any itinerary is appealing!  Fingers crossed we can go!  

• Like 2

I probably shouldn't admit it here but I am a total convert to Saga. The new ships are beautiful, a perfect size (betwen Artemis & Oriana) and I love the different itineraries as these are my primary decision when booking. For example, on a Baltic cruise 2022 there is an overnight in Stockholm and a call at Kemi in Finland. The cruises are all-inclusive now and post Covid, private car transport. Yes - they look expensive upfront but once you have costed in the balcony grade (they are all-balcony ships), free wi-fi, all drinks, free ice cream available all day, no gratuities and now some excursions, they start to look good value.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

The waste of sailing time while you're asleep, so that you have more ports to enjoy.

John, I know that you and your wife have specific requirements. For us, an overnight stay means we can explore more, and hopefully take in a theatre or opera/ballet during the evening, or at the very least have an evening meal ashore.

The "vibe'" in port at night when the other ships have departed is totally different.

• Like 5

47 minutes ago, Host Sharon said:

But in the fjords you want daylight sailing time, not overnight surely?

Correct the fjords would be better with daytime sailing, our three fjords cruises all had very early morning transits, way too early for us, so maybe an overnight in Geiranger would have been better.

However a noon arrival in Copenhagen, followed by a 2:00pm departure the following day was to us a total waste of time, not enough time for a good wander even for us as wheelchair users.

• Like 1