More ships to leave Carnival Fleet.

mercury7289

22 minutes ago, kruzseeka said:

https://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/23505-carnival-to-further-accelerate-ship-exits-18-vessels-to-leave.html

Just seen this timed 1 hour ago so looks like additional reductions.  Specifically mentioning the less efficient ships.............  oh dear, hope that's not Aurora and Arcadia. 😯

Exactly what I thought when I read it earler today.

56 minutes ago, kruzseeka said:

https://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/23505-carnival-to-further-accelerate-ship-exits-18-vessels-to-leave.html

Just seen this timed 1 hour ago so looks like additional reductions.  Specifically mentioning the less efficient ships.............  oh dear, hope that's not Aurora and Arcadia. 😯

With Amsterdam and Rotterdam having been sold to Fred Olsen, I think that means they will be looking for an additional three ships. I think Arcadia will be safe but I do worry for Aurora. Every time they announce more offloads, she gets less safe 😕

27 minutes ago, Britboys said:

With Amsterdam and Rotterdam having been sold to Fred Olsen, I think that means they will be looking for an additional three ships. I think Arcadia will be safe but I do worry for Aurora. Every time they announce more offloads, she gets less safe 😕

Oh no, don't say that!!😲I'm only just getting over the shock of Oceana. Time to raid the wine rack🍷🍷🍷

Avril

Edited by Adawn47
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

Oh no, don't say that!!😲I'm only just getting over the shock of Oceana. Time to raid the wine rack🍷🍷🍷

Avril

I'm the same Avril except it was losing Oriana that saddened me rather than Oceana going. As I have said previously, Aurora and Arcadia are the only P&O ships that interest me... 🤪

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Britboys said:

I'm the same Avril except it was losing Oriana that saddened me rather than Oceana going. As I have said previously, Aurora and Arcadia are the only P&O ships that interest me... 🤪

Me too. P&O have a small fleet compared to other Carnival lines. How many do they expect to them lose? They will end up with just Iona, Britannia, Ventura and Azura, and no Avril and Frank😁

Avril

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

Me too. P&O have a small fleet compared to other Carnival lines. How many do they expect to them lose? They will end up with just Iona, Britannia, Ventura and Azura, and no Avril and Frank😁

Avril

I totally agree but Aurora is now one of the oldest ships in the Carnival stable and must be more costly to run unfortunately. They now like large, modern ships that bring in a lot more profit due to lower running costs and a lot, lot more on-board revenue centres to part pax and their cash in larger amounts...

I am getting more and more resigned to the fact that my future cruises are going to cost more and are getting less likely to be with P&O. But that's my choice.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, P&O SUE said:

We went on a wine tasting tour with Olly Smith (wine buff) from the ship - he said he thought people should drink whatever wine they liked with any food 😊

He also said the same thing to us on a talk on one of the ships he said if you dont like white wine why buy it just because you are eating fish. Buy what you like and drink what you like with it were his words and ignore the snobbery of wine drinking. We only like one white wine Gruner Veltliner which is not common so its red wine for us every time.

Edited by majortom10
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

He also said the same thing to us on a talk on one of the ships he said if you dont like white wine why buy it just because you are eating fish. Buy what you like and drink what you like with it were his words and ignore the snobbery of wine drinking. We only like one white wine Gruner Veltliner which is not common so its red wine for us every time.

He mentioned ‘snobbery’ to us too! I decided he was a good egg!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Britboys said:

I totally agree but Aurora is now one of the oldest ships in the Carnival stable and must be more costly to run unfortunately. They now like large, modern ships that bring in a lot more profit due to lower running costs and a lot, lot more on-board revenue centres to part pax and their cash in larger amounts...

I am getting more and more resigned to the fact that my future cruises are going to cost more and are getting less likely to be with P&O. But that's my choice.

I agree with your last comment. After next years two cruises on Arcadia🤞, we will have to think long and hard. If in the unfortuate event that Aurora goes and are left with only Arcadia then we will possibly be looking towards another line. The new 2021/22 releases  due in November will give a clue maybe.

Avril

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, P&O SUE said:

We went on a wine tasting tour with Olly Smith (wine buff) from the ship - he said he thought people should drink whatever wine they liked with any food 😊

We always have. I've never understood all this pretentiousness about wine.😕

Avril

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Britboys said:

Somehow can't agree with that.  Of all the ships in the fleet I think Arcadia with it's infamous overly strong air con system that has given numerous cruisers "Cabin Cough" or "Arcadia Cough" over the years is probably the last ship I want to go on given what happened to the Diamond Princess.   The thought of being locked up in my cabin with cases of COVID on-board on that particular ship is not for me personally an inviting prospect.   I'd even consider the huge IONA over Arcadia.   However if they do ever decide to ditch Aurora then that would end mine and many other's use of P&O.   As most know I was already firmly determined to try alternative cruise lines to P&O as a result of the what I feel are relentless degradation of quality, service and value for money.   Who knows however what kind of service and experience they may choose to offer post COVID pandemic?

If this whole affair were to result in the former glorious years of cruising returning (in order to ensure the core bread and butter loyal cruising demographic) then I could always be tempted back to P&O.   But if they decide to ditch the smaller traditional ships like Aurora then no, it's not gonna happen.

Edited by KnowTheScore
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Britboys said:

I think that if another P&O ship is to go then it will most likely be Aurora.

P&O appear to be concentrating on large resort ships, which means that it would be more likely that Aurora or Arcadia would go rather than Azura, Ventura or Britannia.

Aurora is several years older than Arcadia,  and her half sister Oriana has already departed. She is one of a kind, whereas Arcadia has several half sisters. This would make Arcadia easier to transfer within the Carnival fleet, whereas Aurora would only really fit in P&O. Arcadia also benefits from more modern pod propulsion system.

So sentiment apart, I think Carnival would prefer to retain Arcadia rather than Aurora.

Edited by Denarius
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, KnowTheScore said:

Somehow can't agree with that.  Of all the ships in the fleet I think Arcadia with it's infamous overly strong air con system that has given numerous cruisers "Cabin Cough" or "Arcadia Cough" over the years is probably the last ship I want to go on given what happened to the Diamond Princess.   The thought of being locked up in my cabin with cases of COVID on-board on that particular ship is not for me personally an inviting prospect.   I'd even consider the huge IONA over Arcadia.   However if they do ever decide to ditch Aurora then that would end mine and many other's use of P&O.   As most know I was already firmly determined to try alternative cruise lines to P&O as a result of the what I feel are relentless degradation of quality, service and value for money.   Who knows however what kind of service and experience they may choose to offer post COVID pandemic?

If this whole affair were to result in the former glorious years of cruising returning (in order to ensure the core bread and butter loyal cruising demographic) then I could always be tempted back to P&O.   But if they decide to ditch the smaller traditional ships like Aurora then no, it's not gonna happen.

My thoughts are based on the fact that Aurora is 5 years older than Arcadia and is probably more expensive to run and maintain. I am fortunate in that whilst I have sailed aboard P&O more than any other line, I have also 'strayed' to more than half a dozen others and so do know that there is cruising life beyond P&O 😀. Nothing will tempt me back on Azura - and thus Ventura. I could be tempted to a short cruise on Britannia but very much doubt she would capture my heart. The only way they would get me on Iona would be a free cruise with plenty of spending money thrown in 🤣

Edited by Britboys
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, kruzseeka said:

Oh my goodness, I really hope that Aurora will be safe. I have sailed on her many times, have so many fantastic memories and made life-long friends. I really hope she stays a few more years so I can have one last holiday on her once some sort of “normality” has resumed.....?
In recent years I have been a solo traveller and have always felt very comfortable being on her.

Am keeping everything crossed.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Angel57 said:

Oh my goodness, I really hope that Aurora will be safe. I have sailed on her many times, have so many fantastic memories and made life-long friends. I really hope she stays a few more years so I can have one last holiday on her once some sort of “normality” has resumed.....?
In recent years I have been a solo traveller and have always felt very comfortable being on her.

Am keeping everything crossed.

You and me both Angel. I hope it's all speculation and she stays in the fleet for a few more years, and that Carnival take their wrecking ball and play somewhere else.

Avril

• Like 3

54 minutes ago, Denarius said:

Aurora is several years older than Arcadia,  and her half sister Oriana has already departed. She is one of a kind, whereas Arcadia has several half sisters. This would make Arcadia easier to transfer within the Carnival fleet, whereas Aurora would only really fit in P&O. Arcadia also benefits from more modern pod propulsion system.

So sentiment apart, I think Carnival would prefer to retain Arcadia rather than Aurora.

Oriana had perpetual problems due to her faulty prop shaft which even after a dry dock refit were never fixed afaik.   It was no surprise that she was sold off.   Arcadia was always a marmite ship, mostly because she was designed for a US market not UK.  Consequently all her bars and lounges are all open and have annoying noisy and distracting walkways running right through them or alongside them.   She was more traditional than Ventura and the ships that came after her, but yet she was still nothing remotely like as classy and decadent as Aurora and Oriana.   Consequently I feel totally sure that both Aurora and Oriana had the larger followings among passengers and afaik Arcadia has since become somewhat of an "old folks home".   A contingent likes it and that contingent is an old demographic and in business terms if P&O are looking to attract the younger and more lively audience then I would think Arcadia would be top of the list to go.

I have cruised Aurora for many years and have enjoyed both summer holidays filled with younger people and kids as well as out of season breaks with mostly older people and the experience has always been great.   Aurora attracted both young and old before she became adult only.   She could do so again if P&O chose to revert back.   P&O would lose a sizable % of its cruise audience if they let Aurora go, no question.    With the advent of Oriana leaving the fleet you now have 2 loyal cruising groups all vying for the same ship Aurora which means filling her cabins is probably the easiest to do of all the ships in the fleet, and as we have seen that demand generated increased ticket prices for that ship which means more profits for Carnival.

In business you do not shoot the goose that lays the golden eggs.    I can't see Aurora leaving before Arcadia in all honestly and I would even think that the oft avoided Ventura might also be up the pecking order before Aurora.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, KnowTheScore said:

"......I can't see Aurora leaving before Arcadia in all honestly and I would even think that the oft avoided Ventura might also be up the pecking order before Aurora."

While I respect and understand the views expressed above by knowthescore I would be totally gobsmacked if Carnival/P&O were to remove Ventura from the fleet before Aurora or Arcadia.

She is much newer and bigger, as we all know, and presumably cheaper to run on a per person fare basis.  I just cannot see it happening. 

• Like 6

2 hours ago, KnowTheScore said:

Oriana had perpetual problems due to her faulty prop shaft which even after a dry dock refit were never fixed afaik.   It was no surprise that she was sold off.   Arcadia was always a marmite ship, mostly because she was designed for a US market not UK.  Consequently all her bars and lounges are all open and have annoying noisy and distracting walkways running right through them or alongside them.   She was more traditional than Ventura and the ships that came after her, but yet she was still nothing remotely like as classy and decadent as Aurora and Oriana.   Consequently I feel totally sure that both Aurora and Oriana had the larger followings among passengers and afaik Arcadia has since become somewhat of an "old folks home".   A contingent likes it and that contingent is an old demographic and in business terms if P&O are looking to attract the younger and more lively audience then I would think Arcadia would be top of the list to go.

I have cruised Aurora for many years and have enjoyed both summer holidays filled with younger people and kids as well as out of season breaks with mostly older people and the experience has always been great.   Aurora attracted both young and old before she became adult only.   She could do so again if P&O chose to revert back.   P&O would lose a sizable % of its cruise audience if they let Aurora go, no question.    With the advent of Oriana leaving the fleet you now have 2 loyal cruising groups all vying for the same ship Aurora which means filling her cabins is probably the easiest to do of all the ships in the fleet, and as we have seen that demand generated increased ticket prices for that ship which means more profits for Carnival.

In business you do not shoot the goose that lays the golden eggs.    I can't see Aurora leaving before Arcadia in all honestly and I would even think that the oft avoided Ventura might also be up the pecking order before Aurora.

Whilst I agree with some of your points, I disagree with others. As I understand it (although happily accept I might be wrong), Oriana would have needed some very expensive modifications in the foreseeable future to enable her to continue sailing in Europe and that may have hastened her sale when she was still a very popular ship, vibration and all.

Yes, Arcadia is the marmite ship but still very popular. Oceana was built for the American market too and also had a number of bars that were open to main thoroughfares but remained very popular too.

P&O are very unlikely to change Aurora back to a family ship. When they sold Oriana, they would have known how big the adult-only market was, which is why they converted Aurora.

I personally feel much will depend on the senior management team. The current CEO (sorry, I don't buy into this 'President' title) appears - to us interested outsiders - to have rolled over to the Carnival Corp and thrown the company headlong into the 'let's attract a new, much younger passenger base who want a more casual atmosphere on a massive ship with lots of choice' market. I do understand the sense in that too. The company is moving inexorably in that direction at the moment and whilst I really do hope Molecrochip is right, I think most of us 'old timers' still expect Aurora to disappear once Iona/Gala 2 arrives.

I don't know how long Simon Palethorpe has been at Cunard or what his background is, so couldn't begin to guess his philosophy on taking the two brands forward. Historically (in recent terms) Cunard - like HAL - has eschewed the megaships. I suspect however that it might be too late to significantly change direction for P&O but Gala 2 is far enough away to be changed in the event that Iona is not the success the company expect.

All pure speculation on my part as I am just an interested onlooker who built up a fondness and loyalty to P&O over many years. Sadly for me, it is no longer my 'go to' line as we seem to be sailing in different directions.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, molecrochip said:

At present, I’m not expecting any further P&O UK ships to be at risk

I really hope you're right about this as you have been about everything else. I wouldn't have thought it would have been a sensible move to reduce P&O's fleet further.

Avril