More ships to leave Carnival Fleet.

mercury7289

1 hour ago, Adawn47 said:

It would be nice if one was on it's way to replace Oceana, but I know that's just wishful thinking on my part. What about Fred Olsen? or maybe  they're following in the wake of Oceana? I can't think of any more likely scenerios. I'm sure others much more knowledgable can.

Avril

I would love P&O to take Pacific Princess as a replacement for Oceana.  We sailed on Pacific Princess around Japan and China.  She is smaller than Oceana being a sister ship of Adonia.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Josy1953 said:

I would love P&O to take Pacific Princess as a replacement for Oceana.  We sailed on Pacific Princess around Japan and China.  She is smaller than Oceana being a sister ship of Adonia.

I am sure that would be welcomed by many but sadly, P&O are 'upsizing' their ships, not downsizing. They are more interested in ships carrying over 5000 pax than ones carrying less than 700...

• Like 6

On 7/30/2020 at 7:35 PM, majortom10 said:

Whilst I agree that at the moment Carnival might not have any current plans to sell any more P&O ships I think when Iona is introduced even with the selling of Oceana I think they will struggle to fill as many berths after vaccine available. I think many who will not have the short memories that P&O hope they have and will no longer book with P&O therefore losing a lot of loyal customers.

Since P&O policy was set by Carnival  then if your prediction is correct the NCL& RCI groups will be rubbing their hands with glee, as they stand to pick up the disgruntled Carnival  cruisers!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Josy1953 said:

No logic in P&O purchasing an older ship than Oceana if they were interested in keeping a smaller ship then it would have been more logical to keep Oceana and giving her a refit than selling her purchasing an older ship and then have to refit her. I think give it 5 yrs possibly only 2-3yrs and the smallest ships P&O will have is Azura/Ventura and even though it will upset many that is how P&O are going in the future. I remember the groans at Captains Cocktail party onboard Arcadia when he announced the building of Ventura ans all saying she is too big before long she will be the smallest P&O ship.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

No logic in P&O purchasing an older ship than Oceana if they were interested in keeping a smaller ship then it would have been more logical to keep Oceana and giving her a refit than selling her purchasing an older ship and then have to refit her. I think give it 5 yrs possibly only 2-3yrs and the smallest ships P&O will have is Azura/Ventura and even though it will upset many that is how P&O are going in the future. I remember the groans at Captains Cocktail party onboard Arcadia when he announced the building of Ventura ans all saying she is too big before long she will be the smallest P&O ship.

Oceana and Pacific Princess were built in the same year but I agree with you that there would be no logic in P&O acquiring a smaller ship. Also totally agree that sadly the days of Aurora and Arcadia are numbered - and thus my days with P&O also...

• Like 4

On 8/2/2020 at 12:06 PM, majortom10 said:

Princess have just announced Regal Princess will be heading for a season in the UK for 2021 based in Southampton with very competitive prices.

Don't wander here too often so had not picked this up until now. They can advertise all they like , with the infection rates in the US doesn't mean any ship from there would actually be allowed over here.

I still stand by until the Americans actually start taking the whole thing seriously they or their ships will not be welcome.

I am on a few FB sites (non cruising)  that have a lot of Americans on them..from some of those comments I do not think it is being taken seriously.

Plus of course the longer this goes on which lines will survive.

They will have to start with cruises round US waters first, (with no infections) before they even think of sending any over here. I notice a post after yours was stating all the things they were throwing in free...desperation to sell the cruises?

As an aside we have had Norwegian Star in Southampton now for months. In ports. All the pando ships ,Cunard etc come in for a day, take on supplies then do the Weymouth shuttle. This is to avoid port fees as much as possible, so what is the NCL ship doing tied up here, any one any idea?

49 minutes ago, the english lady said:

Don't wander here too often so had not picked this up until now. They can advertise all they like , with the infection rates in the US doesn't mean any ship from there would actually be allowed over here.

I still stand by until the Americans actually start taking the whole thing seriously they or their ships will not be welcome.

I am on a few FB sites (non cruising)  that have a lot of Americans on them..from some of those comments I do not think it is being taken seriously.

They will have to start with cruises round US waters first, (with no infections) before they even think of sending any over here. I notice a post after yours was stating all the things they were throwing in free...desperation to sell the cruises?

As an aside we have had Norwegian Star in Southampton now for months. In ports. All the pando ships ,Cunard etc come in for a day, take on supplies then do the Weymouth shuttle. This is to avoid port fees as much as possible, so what is the NCL ship doing tied up here, any one any idea?

Despite the problems Princess ships had with Covid at the start of the pandemic, I have never considered that because they are American based they are not to be trusted.  In fact Princess has a fairly high percentage of UK officers among its non hotel staff, and I would be very happy to cruise on any Princess ship if the price and itinerary were right.

• Like 4

Pacific Princess would also fit well into the Oceania fleet, who already have four other R ships. They are basing one ship in Southampton for several cruises next year - testing the market maybe for those who don't want to/can't fly. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Host Sharon said:

Pacific Princess would also fit well into the Oceania fleet, who already have four other R ships. They are basing one ship in Southampton for several cruises next year - testing the market maybe for those who don't want to/can't fly. 

That's interesting news for those of us who are worried about P&O's relentless march towards the larger ships. Thank you, I'll keep a close watch.

Avril

On 8/2/2020 at 12:23 PM, PrincessPete said:

And the Crown Princess. Booked a 12 day cruise in September next year from an advert yesterday - amazing prices, £50pp deposit (nothing else to pay until balance due), premium drinks, wi-fi and gratuities included and a further 10% discount if you had a cancelled CMV cruise booked through the same Travel Agent - think three letters and lots of newspaper ads. Much cheaper and they would have been paying us to go.

Now we just need a vaccine...................

We are also giving Princess a try next year. Booked on Regal Princess for my 60th to make up for my hubbys Britannia 60th being cancelled this year. Got the full package...excellent prices....happy bunny 😁

• Like 3

On 8/18/2020 at 1:44 PM, Britboys said:

I am sure that would be welcomed by many but sadly, P&O are 'upsizing' their ships, not downsizing. They are more interested in ships carrying over 5000 pax than ones carrying less than 700...

Big ships + repetitive itineraries = making the ship itself the holiday resort and keep as many passengers as possible onboard spending throughout the day.

That's what it feels to us like they are doing with Iona during the school holidays. Not many will arrange DIY tours in the ports so it will be a case of getting off for a quick wander around the port areas, back onboard for lunch then spend the day around the pool, possibly with a drinks package. Either that or take an expensive excursion.

Presumably they will have a discount for block booking berths as well?

Edited by DamianG

34 minutes ago, Host Sharon said:

Interesting Itineraries around Ireland and smaller Scottish Isles.More expensive but we have decided that if we want to visit new destinations we will have to pay more! I don't want to book anything at present but there is one Oceania cruise I am definitely interested in.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, ann141 said:

Interesting Itineraries around Ireland and smaller Scottish Isles.More expensive but we have decided that if we want to visit new destinations we will have to pay more! I don't want to book anything at present but there is one Oceania cruise I am definitely interested in.

It does seem that apart from P&O, Princess and RCI, that most lines using Southampton as a turnround port only use it for northern itineraries.  We want southern sunshine for our cruises, which rather limits our choice, and no we don't want to fly.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

It does seem that apart from P&O, Princess and RCI, that most lines using Southampton as a turnround port only use it for northern itineraries.  We want southern sunshine for our cruises, which rather limits our choice, and no we don't want to fly.

Hurtigen have got a few cruises from either Greenock or Dover for 2021 but are for Scotland and Ireland mainly so nothing going south

1 hour ago, Rupert2251 said:

We are also giving Princess a try next year. Booked on Regal Princess for my 60th to make up for my hubbys Britannia 60th being cancelled this year. Got the full package...excellent prices....happy bunny 😁

We are also back on Princess next year British Isles cruise.  We got the all inclusive package at  great price.  We are on Crown Princess which we have sailed on before so we are super happy.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, the english lady said:

NCL are the most likely to go bust among all the big lines unfortunately.

2 hours ago, terrierjohn said:

Despite the problems Princess ships had with Covid at the start of the pandemic, I have never considered that because they are American based they are not to be trusted.  In fact Princess has a fairly high percentage of UK officers among its non hotel staff, and I would be very happy to cruise on any Princess ship if the price and itinerary were right.

Me too.

I must be getting old!

I still think of Princess as a UK company tailoring to American and cosmopolitan clientele. Certainly when I bought shares (before the Carnival merger) it was P&O Princess Cruises PLC 

Edited by Esprit

6 hours ago, the english lady said:

Norwegian Star has been in the UK on warm lay-up. They were happy to pay port fees for the ship to sit there.

As for American cruise lines, most of them operate world-wide. Whilst the media may make it seem that the CDC is the ultimate decision maker here, its not. The industry body, CLIA, tends to mention the CDC pauses because the US is the biggest market. It doesn't stop the likes of Princess cruising out of Southampton, Italy, Japan, Australia etc. if they meet the conditions of the local authorities.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, DamianG said:

Big ships + repetitive itineraries = making the ship itself the holiday resort and keep as many passengers as possible onboard spending throughout the day.

That's what it feels to us like they are doing with Iona during the school holidays. Not many will arrange DIY tours in the ports so it will be a case of getting off for a quick wander around the port areas, back onboard for lunch then spend the day around the pool, possibly with a drinks package. Either that or take an expensive excursion.

That's if you are allowed off the ship independently.  If they are not, then we won't be cruising.  Can't stand organised tours.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, DamianG said:

Absolutely right Damian. With the exception of Aurora & Arcadia, all the fleet next year appear to be sailing a very small number of repetitive itineraries. It seems quite a gamble to me as not everyone wants to go to the same old places. Maybe it is an experiment and will change for some of the fleet in 2022...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jeanlyon said:

That's if you are allowed off the ship independently.  If they are not, then we won't be cruising.  Can't stand organised tours.

I can't say we are either, but if it's a straight choice between cruising or not, then we'll take the tour or stay on board. However all the other protocols  on board will be another matter entirely.

Avril

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Josy1953 said:

We are also back on Princess next year British Isles cruise.  We got the all inclusive package at  great price.  We are on Crown Princess which we have sailed on before so we are super happy.

We cruised around the British Isles last year on Crown Princess and really enjoyed it.

• Like 1